RoW Chapter 2 & 3 Discussion

Jofwu

I have a terrible thought that the one who will cause Honorspren to reject people is Kaladin in the next N chapters. Like he will either kill unarmed Moash or somehow do something really stupid or bad (like killing alot of people) and that will soomehow break the trust with Honorspren. So Shallan and Adolin will have to fix his mistake, without him.

It somewhat repeat the WoR events with Syl and thats why i kinda dont want it to happen again, but this explains why he will go to being a surgeon instead of soldier, Honorspren deal and why Kaladin wont be the one to go and deal with Honorspren.

I mean, we thought "Wow, Kaladin decided to move from being the soldier to being a surgeon. Something bad happened".

But now we know that Kaladin wasnt just a soldier. He was HIGH MARSHALL. You wont go from this position to the surgeon job just because one bad day.

I bet all those guns: Lirin, Moash, Honorspren, Shallan and Adolin going to Shadesmar instead of Kaladin, Kaladin being a surgeon - all of them are connected and will shoot some day.

Edited by Harbour

“Five knots,” Navani said. “Not particularly fast, compared to your best ships.”

“Pardon, Brightness,” he said. “But this essentially a giant barge—and for that five knots is impressive, even ignoring the fact that it is flying.” He shook his head. “This ship is faster than an army marching at double time—yet it brings your troops in fresh and provides its own mobile high ground for archery support.”

With flying and teleporting Fused, I fear a long and difficult journey to Herdaz and then Urithiru. What could possibly go wrong there...A barge filled with refugees high up in the air crawling along the landscape, lifted up by paired gemstones that can be disconnected by aluminum.

Well, we'll see if and how the defense mechanisms work - hopefully next week!

40 minutes ago, Red Windrunner said:

I think you’re going to see Kal either bond a second spren or part of Syl’s history is being a child of Honor and Cultivation:

-giving Kaladin 4 surges

-allowing Kaladin to balance his soldier and surgeon aspects into one self actualized person

-Brandon gets to play with how these new reasonances would operate, essentially giving Kal new power sets. 

"I will protect those who have been forgotten"

Just think about Kaladin becoming an Edgedancer from a surge standpoint at least. 

Kaladin would be able to control the amount of air resistance during his flight which could lead to some insane maneuvers or just plain old ignoring terminal velocity which could help with lashing to travel long distances.

If Kaladin became an Edgedancer he would also be able to heal and possibly revive all the people he failed to protect, which could help him cope with having failed.

4 minutes ago, Pattern said:

With flying and teleporting Fused, I fear a long and difficult journey to Herdaz and then Urithiru. What could possibly go wrong there...A barge filled with refugees high up in the air crawling along the landscape, lifted up by paired gemstones that can be disconnected by aluminum.

I really hope Brandon wont dare to do this to us.

Imagine. Flying ship full of refugees. Assault of the Fused. Windrunners and Kaladin are overwhelmed. Kaladin tries to save them. Its impossible. Lirin tells him to fly away. To say the Fourth Ideal.

Kaladin says the words. Ship crashes with all people on it dying. Only main characters and some people like Hessina and Oroden being rescued by Windrunners and Co survive.

damnation...

Edited by Harbour

The flying airship is pretty sweet, but they have a long way to go until they're truly viable. The fact that they still work based on paired gemstones is a major weakness. As soon as the Fused grasp how they work, they'll just send some soldiers to the shattered plains to destroy the fabrials. I won't be surprised if it happens in this book. 

Brandon has already confirmed that you can imitate all of the surges with fabrials, so I'm certain we'll get truly independent flying ships with gravitation fabrials before the series is out.

Somehow, seeing that Kaladin has regularly been visiting Hearthstone surprised me.  I don't why but it did.

I think Kmakl's speech is a foreshadowing for Lirin.  I.e. just as navies will in the future be less necessary so surgeons are less necessary in the world of edgedancers.  How Lirin deals with this and how it effects his relationship with Kaladin remains to be seen.

This sort of shines some light on the 3 arcs we've been hearing this book has:

Main arc- flying ship to Herdaz, with Dalinar/Navani/Kaladin/Bridge Four/Lirin etc

Second arc- Shallan investigating the Sons of Honor, with Shallan/Adolin/Someone else etc

Of course that leaves the third arc open, though there's been speculation on a Horneater Peaks arc.

Oh yeah, and Venli is the MC of the book, it's her book, and she doesn't fit in either of those arcs. So that's something... any thoughts on her place in all this?

I love Fourth Bridge! I really like that Navani chose to honor Bridge 4 (the men and the actual bridge) by incorporating it into her flying ship. 

I am seriously worried about Kaladin's relationship with Lirin. It's obvious that Kaladin hasn't shared much with his father about his life after leaving Hearthstone--he didn't even tell Lirin that his housename was Stormblessed. I'm holding out hope that Lirin learns to respect the man that Kaladin has become, which is due in large part to the way that Lirin raised him. 

Also, you don't date someone under your command! Yikes! Talk about unethical.

Edited by book.spren
forgot to mention the not-so-ship

Is it just me or did Brandon step up his game yet again? These chapters are so so well written and dense! I got the feeling this is gonna be his best book yet. 

Shallan does not seem do do well, bleeding from one persona to the next does not seem healthy. Kaladin has also not gotten any better.

Lirin will see be impressed by Dalinar soon enough, just as Dalinar was. 

The ship is neat but it is such an enticing target.  A couple flying fused with firebombs would turn it into a death trap.  Navani mentioned it has defenses, I am interested to see what those are.  The vulnerability of such a ship wouldn't have been overlooked.

3 minutes ago, Kuram said:

The ship is neat but it is such an enticing target.  A couple flying fused with firebombs would turn it into a death trap.  Navani mentioned it has defenses, I am interested to see what those are.  The vulnerability of such a ship wouldn't have been overlooked.

Flying bridge with the freaking laser beams.

Mink reminded me Kakashi from Naruto with these body replacements and sass.

She was increasingly certain the tower had once been powered by that pillar, as this flying ship was powered by the gemstones her engineers had embedded within the hull. But the tower was broken, barely functioning.

“I tried infusing that pillar,” Dalinar said. “It didn’t work.” He could infuse Stormlight into ordinary spheres, but those tower gemstones had resisted.

“We must be approaching the problem in the wrong way. I can’t help thinking if I knew more about Stormlight, the solution would be simple.”

Perhaps Stormlight is the wrong light? What about the green mist around Cultivation in OB - perhaps the Sibling needs a combination of both. "Cultivationlight" would also fit the theme of enabling plants to grow in Urithiru. 

I would say Shallan is more stable, but not really any “better”. Someone get that girl a therapist...

Personally, I’m paranoid about a bit of flying fused attacking the chull teams that move the airship. Having the propulsion mechanism of the ship be so distributed makes me very nervous. 

Also, where did all of those Edgedancers come from?! There is too much power creep going on here! 

The fact that the teleporting fused creates an entirely new body is interesting to me. Is it perhaps being soulcast from the air, or some related mechanism? Secret History spoilers:

Spoiler

Could it be metaphysically related to however Kelsier got his body back? 

Such a lame place to end this week’s preview though :P

“I had hoped,” Lirin said softly, “that our message would inspire you to approach covertly.”

“I tried,” Kaladin said. “But the Fused have set up posts all through the land, watching the sky. The fog unexpectedly cleared up near one of those, and I was exposed. I’d hoped they hadn’t seen me, but” He shrugged.

I find it very hard to believe (meaning I don’t believe for a second) that this is natural. Odiummist coming out? Will the “fog” become a more prevalent thing?

Just now, Harbour said:

In before Urithiru was originally evil city that must be powered up by the Voidlight.

Just throwing some crem ideas around.

Or Cultivationlight :ph34r:

MiToRo94

Honor has Stormlight and Odium has Voidlight, is there a Cultivationlight? If so, can an Invested person use it as a third magic on Roshar or is a boon/curse the only magic of Cultivation/Nightwatcher?

Brandon Sanderson

There is more! I'll just say that, the rest is Read And Find Out. You are theorizing in an accurate direction.

I wonder what Veil ment asking to remember - stuff we already know but Shallan isnt ready to accept (Shallan killing her parents) or something even more deep and mysterios we didnt even know about.

Also, its interesting that Fused dissappearing somewhere to recharge his Voidlight and Dalinar recharging Kaladin chapters went one after another.

What if there is another Bondsmith recharging Fused with Voidlight?

Edited by Harbour

6 minutes ago, Harbour said:

Also, its interesting that Fused dissappearing somewhere to recharge his Voidlight and Dalinar recharging Kaladin chapters went one after another.

What if there is another Bondsmith recharging Fused with Voidlight?

I think it's just from spheres filled with Voidlight. That Fused is not able to teleport stuff with them, not even clothes or weapons - hence the hair as clothing and outgrows of carapace as weapons.

It occurs to me that the whole Kaladin Fusedslayer business makes him now de facto Dalinar's champion. Considering how obvious it seems that Kaladin was the 1st choice I am now of the opinion that Brandon will do some kind of switch and we will get a most unexpected champion!!

I just realized who Lirin reminded me. Lirin to Kaladin is what Kaladin was to Adolin in WoR. He needs own Shallan to hit him with "Dude, your son tries to be nice. Look at him! Stop being a grumpy jerk".

Hessina needs to kick his chull more frequently.

Edited by Harbour

1 hour ago, Harbour said:

I have a terrible thought that the one who will cause Honorspren to reject people is Kaladin in the next N chapters. Like he will either kill unarmed Moash or somehow do something really stupid or bad (like killing alot of people) and that will soomehow break the trust with Honorspren. So Shallan and Adolin will have to fix his mistake, without him.

I must have missed something. When did we find out that Honorspren would start rejecting humans again?  

23 minutes ago, Pattern said:

I think it's just from spheres filled with Voidlight. That Fused is not able to teleport stuff with them, not even clothes or weapons - hence the hair as clothing and outgrows of carapace as weapons.

I think you are right.  And the Fused probably left not only to get reinforcements but may also have used up the voidlight he brought to Hearthstone.