2 minutes ago, Mr. Misting said:

I think what you really need is just an explosions class.

But they won‘t allow that in public schools. (You could do homeschooling and play with fire, though!)

Just now, The Wandering Wizard said:

This is what a gauss gun does, but highly magnified.

Gauss Rifle/Coilgun - Bogart's Blogging Bonanza - APlusPhysics Community

It‘s like a Newton‘s Cradle, but it looks like a gun kind of. COOL!

Just now, Rabbit Unmade said:

It‘s like a Newton‘s Cradle, but it looks like a gun kind of. COOL!

It's a scaled down experiment that anyone can do, provided you have powerful enough magnets.

So for a gauss gun, it would have a lot more magnets and a lot more powerful magnets. Supposedly one of the more powerfull ones can send a 8mm spike up to 1700m/s

Just now, The Wandering Wizard said:

It's a scaled down experiment that anyone can do, provided you have powerful enough magnets.

So for a gauss gun, it would have a lot more magnets and a lot more powerful magnets. Supposedly one of the more powerfull ones can send a 8mm spike up to 1700m/s

Still. It looked kind of gun like. Even though it was slow.

What do you fellow teenagers *and kids for some reason* think an avid reader is? My new school has a club for "avid readers", which is a subjective statement, and I'm just wondering what you guys would consider that to be. 

~Thanks

Lol. My school also set up a reading competition and the girl who's in first has read a ton of books while being one of the top in our class. I have no idea how people have time to read, take several AP classes and get near perfect grades. I should study them...jk

Edited by Cone Slice

1 hour ago, Rabbit Unmade said:

We got to use fire and make this really cool thing where all the water got sucked into the jar because the fire- You know what, I‘ll stop now. But science is so fun, in homeschool at least. We also learn about explosive things on the periodic table! (I know, not what you were going for, but most of these things are radioactive.)

I think you might enjoy the book called What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe.

It's a book, hilarious, AND science. :)

Edited by Tani

5 minutes ago, Tani said:

I think you might enjoy the book called What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe.

Thank you! Is that a T-Rex hanging over a pit with a kraken in it? I need to get this book now.

Edited by Rabbit Unmade

I propose that we sacrifice the next adult who posts on this thread to the Communist Hat god. All in favor say aye. All NOT in favor, become resigned to a tormented existence where we force you to listen to polka music for the rest of your life.

Spoiler

I can feel my sanity slipping away every time I respond to this thread.

13 minutes ago, Tani said:

Nay, because that will be me shortly and I don't wanna adult yet

And you can't make me listen to polka and be tormented

I'll just learn the polka and have fun as you force me to listen to polka

Wait! You could just pull a Lift and say you‘ve been seventeen for two years! (Or a little over a year.)  You don‘t need to dance the polka for eternity!

Edited by Rabbit Unmade

On 07/11/2022 at 2:18 PM, Ranryu said:

I propose that we sacrifice the next adult who posts on this thread to the Communist Hat god. All in favor say aye. All NOT in favor, become resigned to a tormented existence where we force you to listen to polka music for the rest of your life.

Aye, the Communist Hat God should be honoured in the sacrifice of non-hat wearing adult heads! Yarg!

13 hours ago, Rabbit Unmade said:

You don‘t need to dance the polka for eternity!

We all must face out inner polka demons someday, Rabbit. Some day...

On 11/5/2022 at 11:54 AM, Tani said:

I'm reading that one right now! It's pretty great. There's another one called The Way Things Work Now by David Macaulay that's good too. It's a lot to take in. I borrowed it from the library, but I think I'm going to have to buy it.

• 2 months later...