Most Powerful Knight's Radiant Order?

Sun

Most Powerful Order  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win a Knight's Radiant civil war?

• Windrunners
    • Lightweavers
    • Willshapers
    • Elsecallers
    • Bondsmiths
    • Truthwatchers
    • Skybreakers
    • Dustbringers
    • Edgedancers
    • Stonewards

I do feel that the Dustbringers are being held back for a good reason, that being that they're most likely going to be insanely cool and powerful. Still,we haven't fully seen a Skybreaker go to town either. If nothing else it would be an awesome showdown.

18 hours ago, StormblessDave said:

Windrunners due to sheer awesomeness and the fact that they have squires.

As I said, dustbringer's have squires as well. I think most of the combat oriented orders will have squires, in book it says that windrunners have the most but that doesn't mean they're the only ones who have squires

Yeah putting my vote in for Dustbringers.....they seem like the offensive powerhouses of the radiants

They were named as such so as to draw a comparison with voidbringers and their powers are described as dreadful. They have 2 of the more apparently broken surges (ribbon on the wind, division, explosions) and can even leave rock smoldering. 

12 hours ago, StormWrath said:

I agree that Adhesion is mostly useless especially against Radiants.

I don't know. I really, really doubt that Adhesion is only capable of what we've seen so far. I'm almost certain that it does more than stick things together. In the Ars Arcanum it's described as the surge of atmospheric pressure IIRC and I've seen speculation that when Kaladin says his oaths and people get thrown away from him that's Adhesion in action. I agree. I'm sure with Kaladin and especially Dalinar practicing more with their powers we're going to see what Adhesion really can do. I hope it's something Dalinar figures out and ends up teaching Kal.

On what order is the most powerful, I'll have to go with Elsecallers. The biggest downside to the surges is their range limit, Kaladin cant just make people fall up by thinking about it, he has to touch them and infuse them. Same presumably goes with most of the other surges from what we've seen. So while Division will certainly be powerful, you're probably going to have to get in close if you want to blow stuff up. Upside for Dustbringers and Skybreakers is that they are both very mobile. Still, we've seen that Jasnah can actually perform ranged Soulcasting. It could be a result of practicing magic that works through the CR, but I think it's a result of her surge combination, Transportation allowing her to Soulcast from a distance. Pair that with the ability to (hopefully) teleport and when necessary retreat into Shadesmar and you're pretty tough to beat.

A hypothetical order with Transportation paired with Gravitation or Division would be truly terrifying though.

Edited by Ciridae

52 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Was featherwriter the one who voted for truthwatchers? 

Ha! I honestly didn't notice that lone vote. 

34 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

On what order is the most powerful, I'll have to go with Elsecallers. The biggest downside to the surges is their range limit, Kaladin cant just make people fall up by thinking about it, he has to touch them and infuse them. Same presumably goes with most of the other surges from what we've seen. So while Division will certainly be powerful, you're probably going to have to get in close if you want to blow stuff up. Upside for Dustbringers and Skybreakers is that they are both very mobile. Still, we've seen that Jasnah can actually perform ranged Soulcasting. It could be a result of practicing magic that works through the CR, but I think it's a result of her surge combination, Transportation allowing her to Soulcast from a distance. Pair that with the ability to (hopefully) teleport and when necessary retreat into Shadesmar and you're pretty tough to beat.

Soulcasting is powerful....but can you easily soulcast invested things (Blades, Plate, Radiants)? That would be the downside if Jasnah has to fight another surgebinder such as Szeth and why I dontrate them as highly in the combat power scale. Soulcasting also seems to burn a lot of Stormlight.

56 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

Soulcasting is powerful....but can you easily soulcast invested things (Blades, Plate, Radiants)? That would be the downside if Jasnah has to fight another surgebinder such as Szeth and why I dontrate them as highly in the combat power scale. Soulcasting also seems to burn a lot of Stormlight.

Yeah, that's valid, but wouldn't that hold true for all of the other surges? If you cant soulcast someone full of stormlight wearing shardplate you shouldnt be able to use Division efectively either, right? 

Soulcasting does seem to burn a lot more than lashings, true. And I bet teleporting isn't cheap either. Hmm, so in efficiency they're probably outclassed, but I still think the powerset makes them the hardest to kill. 

By the way, does Progression offer any benefits for the Radiant in terms of healing compared to regular stormlight healing? 

27 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

By the way, does Progression offer any benefits for the Radiant in terms of healing compared to regular stormlight healing? 

From what we have seen of the surge, which would be Lift using it, it seems to do the same for others as stormlight healing does to yourself. It has however not seen as much exploration as I believe it will get in future books, with two proto radiants known so far to be able to use it. Then again, stormlight healing could also potentially be expanded upon in future books.

1 hour ago, Ciridae said:

Yeah, that's valid, but wouldn't that hold true for all of the other surges? If you cant soulcast someone full of stormlight wearing shardplate you shouldnt be able to use Division efectively either, right? 

Soulcasting does seem to burn a lot more than lashings, true. And I bet teleporting isn't cheap either. Hmm, so in efficiency they're probably outclassed, but I still think the powerset makes them the hardest to kill. 

Yes it does; it's why Szeth has to get creative when fighting opponents wearing Plate since he cannot just directly lash them. You would have to get really crafty to use soulcasting in a fight (such as casting the ground into smoke) and even then it would burn a ton of stormlight and isn't directly very harmful.

Users of gravitation can still lash debri and the like directly at you and attack from odd angles though. Users of abrasion could up their mobility and style all over you in a physical fight.

As for progression, we don't really know. It seems like it just lets you grant stormlight healing to others though I'm sure there's more to it.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:12 AM, Ciridae said:

I don't know. I really, really doubt that Adhesion is only capable of what we've seen so far. I'm almost certain that it does more than stick things together. In the Ars Arcanum it's described as the surge of atmospheric pressure IIRC and I've seen speculation that when Kaladin says his oaths and people get thrown away from him that's Adhesion in action. I agree. I'm sure with Kaladin and especially Dalinar practicing more with their powers we're going to see what Adhesion really can do. I hope it's something Dalinar figures out and ends up teaching Kal.

I don't think I would like that, Kaladin has been a surgebinder longer, so I think he should be the one teaching Dalinar these things.

I've got a top 3. I can't decide which would win, because they are all potential picks for different reasons.

Skybreakers:

• Reputation: These guys were the Military Police of the KR. They have to have some sort of advantage that keeps others in line, and could bring down troublemakers.
  • Mobility: Gravitation(flight, plain and simple)
  • Surges: Lashings(self-explanatory). Division(breaking molecular bonds is quite a powerful skill)

Dustbringers:

• Reputation: The normal people didn't see much difference between them and Voidbringers(why "Releasers" never caught on). Getting compared to Voidbringers implies a level of destructive power that we haven't seen thus far.
  • Mobility: Slicking(you're never grabbing onto them). Anti-Slicking (Can't catch somebody that can free-climb sheer walls)
  • Surges: Division(breaking molecular bonds). Abrasion(friction makes fire. Fire and molecular breakdown can be explosive).

Stonewards:

• Reputation: The only one not on here for destructive potential. If these guys are anything like their Patron Herald, they could stand up to most anything the others could dish out.
  • Surges: Cohesion(I feel like this is an anti-Division. "Making" molecular bonds. That's a big deal). Tension(altering object stiffness. Improvised weaponry/armor/barriers is a versatile ability, especially if you combine things via Cohesion)

I eventually voted Dustbringer, based on potential destructive capability. Stonewards were a close second(we just don't know enough about them yet)

• 9 months later...

I think the Edgedancers would be the best at this. First of all, if you one really wanted to, they could slick the entire ground, making it extremely hard to fight them without the gravitation surge.

The second point is the fact that they can actually heal themselves and others from shardblade wounds, which would make it very hard to keep them down. Their surges also don't seem to require very much stormlight.

On 9/11/2017 at 2:38 PM, Eilemelie said:

From what we have seen of the surge, which would be Lift using it, it seems to do the same for others as stormlight healing does to yourself. It has however not seen as much exploration as I believe it will get in future books, with two proto radiants known so far to be able to use it. Then again, stormlight healing could also potentially be expanded upon in future books.

I think one of the most interesting things you could do with progression is using it in conjunction with identity manipulation. Healing is based upon on your spiritweb and identity allows you to manipulate your spiritweb. This could allow you to willingly mutate your body. Imagine Renarin rending you like Alex Mercer - except his claws are his shardblade.

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

I voted for the elsecallers because in my opinion a war between the KR would be so devastating that it's more a matter of surviving than of winning. With soulcasting they have the possibility to produce food and change the environment to their advantage. With elsecalling they could try to escape the worst battles.

If you think about a battle then the dustbringers, skybreakers or windrunners stand a way better chance (as explained above several times), but imo a "Hide and look who's left" tactics could be better in the longterm. Or to make a deal with one of them: "food vs protection".

But in the end, as it was already pointed out, such a war would only create loosers (probably except hoid).

On 7/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, Krios said:

I think one of the most interesting things you could do with progression is using it in conjunction with identity manipulation. Healing is based upon on your spiritweb and identity allows you to manipulate your spiritweb. This could allow you to willingly mutate your body. Imagine Renarin rending you like Alex Mercer - except his claws are his shardblade.

Please put OB spoilers in a spoiler box outside of the OB spoiler thread.

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

• 1 year later...

I am going Lightweavers because they can influence, hide from or play different orders against each other for longer.  They might not have the most killing power but that does not matter when you can get your enemies to kill each other.

7 hours ago, Radiant_runner said:

Jasnah was the MVP of the thaylian battle! Only one who didn't lose her cool or struggle, whether thags due to her having it the longest or that shes had most time to learn her powers is up for discussion 

She also had the easiest job.

I'm on the fence about how powerful Adhesion, AKA Atmospheric Pressure, is.  It depends on how absolute the control over the pressure could be.  Part of the problem right now is that no one in-world seems to be thinking of it in terms of pressure but strictly in terms of adhesion.  I can imagine several ways being able to manipulate the pressure in a specific area could really mess someones day up.

13 minutes ago, Arondell said:

I'm on the fence about how powerful Adhesion, AKA Atmospheric Pressure, is.  It depends on how absolute the control over the pressure could be.  Part of the problem right now is that no one in-world seems to be thinking of it in terms of pressure but strictly in terms of adhesion.  I can imagine several ways being able to manipulate the pressure in a specific area could really mess someones day up.

Still waiting for Kaladin to use storm powers.