The Chat Thread

Archer

@Ookla the Prehistoric and @Ookla the Believer, a quick note: we often try to discourage such a brief message in era threads, as it leads to an oversaturation of posts. I completely understand the need for a conversation to be held between characters, but it is often useful to add more than just a single line of dialogue to your post. Give some inner monologue of your character, or what they see as they interact with this character. Additionally, unlike regular conversation, you can easily ask multiple questions or lines of dialogue before the other person responds. An excellent example is me and Ookla of Whimsy’s conversation, where we tackled a lot in a single exchange. I dove into my character’s current mood, a bit of characterization, a hint of their madness, and how they interact with the world, on top of their initial thoughts on Asylum. 

@Ookla of whimsy, on the other hand, dove heavily into their character’s backstory, along with giving a taste of what their character is like, so that the rest of us know what to expect when interacting with them.

Keep in mind: as @Ookla the Glossy said, this is much more like collaborative fan fiction than a standard TTRPG. Though a simple back and forth conversation would be quite normal in a game like Dungeons & Dragons, or even the Mistborn RPG, things are different here. There is not dungeon master to give a taste for the scenery or ambiance; that’s our collective mission. We form the story together, without a clear leader. That’s the core of what makes the Alleyverse so cool. It’s a challenge for sure, but I think it is a fun one. You two haven’t done anything per se, it’s just not the norm for this type of Roleplay. If you want more than just me and Ookla of Whimsy’s conversation, go check out the Era 6 threads. There are absolutely shining examples there, made by so many Sharders.

best of luck, and most importantly, have fun!

1 minute ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

@Ookla the Prehistoric and @Ookla the Believer, a quick note: we often try to discourage such a brief message in era threads, as it leads to an oversaturation of posts. I completely understand the need for a conversation to be held between characters, but it is often useful to add more than just a single line of dialogue to your post. Give some inner monologue of your character, or what they see as they interact with this character. Additionally, unlike regular conversation, you can easily ask multiple questions or lines of dialogue before the other person responds. An excellent example is me and Ookla of Whimsy’s conversation, where we tackled a lot in a single exchange. I dove into my character’s current mood, a bit of characterization, a hint of their madness, and how they interact with the world, on top of their initial thoughts on Asylum. 

@Ookla of whimsy, on the other hand, dove heavily into their character’s backstory, along with giving a taste of what their character is like, so that the rest of us know what to expect when interacting with them.

Keep in mind: as @Ookla the Glossy said, this is much more like collaborative fan fiction than a standard TTRPG. Though a simple back and forth conversation would be quite normal in a game like Dungeons & Dragons, or even the Mistborn RPG, things are different here. There is not dungeon master to give a taste for the scenery or ambiance; that’s our collective mission. We form the story together, without a clear leader. That’s the core of what makes the Alleyverse so cool. It’s a challenge for sure, but I think it is a fun one. You two haven’t done anything per se, it’s just not the norm for this type of Roleplay. If you want more than just me and Ookla of Whimsy’s conversation, go check out the Era 6 threads. There are absolutely shining examples there, made by so many Sharders.

Okay, sorry bout that! 

Ah, okay, thanks! I’ll try to do more of that :)

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Prehistoric said:

Okay, sorry bout that! 

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Believer said:

Ah, okay, thanks! I’ll try to do more of that :)

And to not scare you folks off: it does not have to be a long post by any means. Just think of it in more of a book writing sense than a play writing sense, and you will be most of the way there. There really doesn’t have to be all that much. If you give a bit of description to what you deem necessary, and bit of inner dialogue, and you’ll be just fine. At times, only a single paragraph will suffice. The thing that’s fun, for me at least, is to test your inner author, and to clash and blend with others’ inner author. However, in the end, it boils down to what is the most fun way for you to roleplay, while still keeping it interesting for whoever you are RPing with.

Just now, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

Also, @Ookla the Prehistoric, that is some powerful soul stamping you got there. Are those universal soul stamps? How powerful is your forger?

He's decently powerful, it's basically all he's been studying for the last... lots of years.

They aren't universal, that one is specific for the building, but he didn't spend much time on it so it won't stay for long (I noted it would be an hour. I don't wanna be too OP). I figured that the building would see itself as a single entity, and since the attack was yesterday all he'd have to do is rewrite it so the attacker went to a different building instead of this one. 

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Prehistoric said:

He's decently powerful, it's basically all he's been studying for the last... lots of years.

They aren't universal, that one is specific for the building, but he didn't spend much time on it so it won't stay for long (I noted it would be an hour. I don't wanna be too OP). I figured that the building would see itself as a single entity, and since the attack was yesterday all he'd have to do is rewrite it so the attacker went to a different building instead of this one. 

Ohhhhh gotcha. He’s just good at fashioning stamps, but isn’t pushing the boundaries on the theory. Gotcha gotcha. Thatnks for the clarification!

35 minutes ago, Ookla of Ravens said:

anyone, why not, and its past a butcher shop.

You might want to put this in the collaboration thread if you’re looking to RP with someone. I’d advise giving them some idea of your character and what they would be interested in. If there’s someone else that wants to converse with you, you folks can coordinate how that will go down.

You might want to put this in the collaboration thread if you’re looking to RP with someone. I’d advise giving them some idea of your character and what they would be interested in. If there’s someone else that wants to converse with you, you folks can coordinate how that will go down.

ah, alright. 

Does anyone have any recommendations on where my character, Eza, can start off? I'd like to make sure she is somewhere where she will soon end up interacting with other characters. She is currently in the Mistwarrens, but I can justify her being other places because she likes to go "find" (steal) shiny things. She'd be willing to help anyone who seems nice and can also be tempted/won over with shiny things or the opportunity to get/steal some. She also is new to the Alleycity, so she basically has no idea what is going on (as do I). @Ookla of whimsy mentioned that Eza could fit in with their character Asylum.

Here's her character sheet if it helps for reference:

Spoiler
Name: Eza

Appearance: A 15-year-old girl with long dark brown hair, a very pale complexion, and dark green eyes. She is short (4’10”) and skinny, making her look younger than she is. She wears old, well-kept clothing that is simple but hides jewelry underneath. She has both costume and regular jewelry. Her coat has a hood, which she normally keeps up to hide a large, poorly healed scar stretching from her chin to her temple. She has several small bags on her person, concealed well.

Guild: None

Personality: Eza genuinely tries her best to be kind, but has a skewed sense of right and wrong (ex. it’s ok to steal something if you want it more). She adores anything shiny and will go out of her way to obtain it. She is skittish around anyone with a higher social standing, which is generally most people. If she is speaking with someone she trusts, she becomes talkative. Eza will try and help people if they seem nice or are younger than her. She aims to have a positive outlook on life, but occasionally slips into paranoia. She hates birds. If startled or angry, she may become violent, but this is very rare.

Concept: A well-meaning thief

Motivation: 

Short term goals- She is perpetually trying to collect anything shiny through any means necessary short of violence. She is also trying to find a place to hide from the strangers she thinks are pursuing her.

Long term goal- She is trying to find out what happened to her mother and why.

Merits: 

Minor- Knows magic tricks, has two daggers and a basic ability to use them, is able to prepare Allomantic solutions

Normal- Adept liar and thief

Major- Is a Lurcher

Flaws: A skewed sense of right and wrong that gets her into trouble and alienates others (along with an overwhelming compulsion to steal anything shiny), illiterate

Relationships: She has a beloved mother whose fate is unknown. Father is unknown. She is being pursued by enemy strangers, but hasn’t figured out why.

Home Planet: Scadrial

Current Residence: On the streets of the Mistwarrens

Backstory: When Eza was little, her mother was her best friend. They were very poor, but she did her best to make her daughter happy, often bringing trinkets she could find. Her mother was also a Lurcher, and taught her how to pull metal without anyone noticing to aid in thievery. Sometimes strangers that worried her mother would come near, and they either hid or relocated whenever that happened. Her mother never explained who they were. Because they relocated so often, her mother had trouble finding work, so they survived by thieving. When Eza was six, her mother disappeared. She thinks that the strangers took her, but has no idea why. Eza attempted to search for her, but was spotted by one of the strangers. He attacked her and slashed her face, so she was forced to flee. Ever since then, she has lived on the streets and continued to steal everything she needs/wants, careful not to stay in one place for too long. This recently led her to the Alleycity, which she knows little about.

Loose ends: Eza is unsure what happened to her mother or why the strangers decided to pursue them.

9 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Does anyone have any recommendations on where my character, Eza, can start off? I'd like to make sure she is somewhere where she will soon end up interacting with other characters. She is currently in the Mistwarrens, but I can justify her being other places because she likes to go "find" (steal) shiny things. She'd be willing to help anyone who seems nice and can also be tempted/won over with shiny things or the opportunity to get/steal some. She also is new to the Alleycity, so she basically has no idea what is going on (as do I). @Ookla of whimsy mentioned that Eza could fit in with their character Asylum.

Here's her character sheet if it helps for reference:

Reveal hidden contents
Name: Eza

Appearance: A 15-year-old girl with long dark brown hair, a very pale complexion, and dark green eyes. She is short (4’10”) and skinny, making her look younger than she is. She wears old, well-kept clothing that is simple but hides jewelry underneath. She has both costume and regular jewelry. Her coat has a hood, which she normally keeps up to hide a large, poorly healed scar stretching from her chin to her temple. She has several small bags on her person, concealed well.

Guild: None

Personality: Eza genuinely tries her best to be kind, but has a skewed sense of right and wrong (ex. it’s ok to steal something if you want it more). She adores anything shiny and will go out of her way to obtain it. She is skittish around anyone with a higher social standing, which is generally most people. If she is speaking with someone she trusts, she becomes talkative. Eza will try and help people if they seem nice or are younger than her. She aims to have a positive outlook on life, but occasionally slips into paranoia. She hates birds. If startled or angry, she may become violent, but this is very rare.

Concept: A well-meaning thief

Motivation: 

Short term goals- She is perpetually trying to collect anything shiny through any means necessary short of violence. She is also trying to find a place to hide from the strangers she thinks are pursuing her.

Long term goal- She is trying to find out what happened to her mother and why.

Merits: 

Minor- Knows magic tricks, has two daggers and a basic ability to use them, is able to prepare Allomantic solutions

Normal- Adept liar and thief

Major- Is a Lurcher

Flaws: A skewed sense of right and wrong that gets her into trouble and alienates others (along with an overwhelming compulsion to steal anything shiny), illiterate

Relationships: She has a beloved mother whose fate is unknown. Father is unknown. She is being pursued by enemy strangers, but hasn’t figured out why.

Home Planet: Scadrial

Current Residence: On the streets of the Mistwarrens

Backstory: When Eza was little, her mother was her best friend. They were very poor, but she did her best to make her daughter happy, often bringing trinkets she could find. Her mother was also a Lurcher, and taught her how to pull metal without anyone noticing to aid in thievery. Sometimes strangers that worried her mother would come near, and they either hid or relocated whenever that happened. Her mother never explained who they were. Because they relocated so often, her mother had trouble finding work, so they survived by thieving. When Eza was six, her mother disappeared. She thinks that the strangers took her, but has no idea why. Eza attempted to search for her, but was spotted by one of the strangers. He attacked her and slashed her face, so she was forced to flee. Ever since then, she has lived on the streets and continued to steal everything she needs/wants, careful not to stay in one place for too long. This recently led her to the Alleycity, which she knows little about.

Loose ends: Eza is unsure what happened to her mother or why the strangers decided to pursue them.

So here’s an idea I had. Eza is good at getting money and pickpocketing, and is perfectly fine with doing morally ambiguous things. Asylum, who is willing to manipulate basically anyone to get money, Might incidentally bump into her and hire her to help them. Also Asylum has the ability to gift people Good luck (they are a smedry who’s talent is superstition so they could give someone a four leaf clover and they would be more lucky) which could come in handy. of course we could probably fit in the whole thing with looking for her mother in somewhere but that’s the gist.

12 minutes ago, Ookla of whimsy said:

So here’s an idea I had. Eza is good at getting money and pickpocketing, and is perfectly fine with doing morally ambiguous things. Asylum, who is willing to manipulate basically anyone to get money, Might incidentally bump into her and hire her to help them. Also Asylum has the ability to gift people Good luck (they are a smedry who’s talent is superstition so they could give someone a four leaf clover and they would be more lucky) which could come in handy. of course we could probably fit in the whole thing with looking for her mother in somewhere but that’s the gist.

Sounds great! So long as Eza doesn't think she is hurting anyone (to her, stealing doesn't really count unless she deems it mean), she could definitely be won over. She'd need to be paid in something other than money since she doesn't really care about it, but I've come up with an idea to circumnavigate that pretty easily. In what area would Asylum be?

11 hours ago, Lunamor said:

Sounds great! So long as Eza doesn't think she is hurting anyone (to her, stealing doesn't really count unless she deems it mean), she could definitely be won over. She'd need to be paid in something other than money since she doesn't really care about it, but I've come up with an idea to circumnavigate that pretty easily. In what area would Asylum be?

Currently, the main plot is taking place in the Mistwarrens

@Ookla of Ravens and anyone that wonders: if there is a side character, and you need to interact with them, if it’s for a short period of time, you are free to crew that character for a bit. However, you can also ask someone else to RP that side character if you particularly want to.

The things a DM would normally do, such as describe the scene, guide the plot, and RP side characters, are all done by us, the players. You are all more than allowed to make up details about a room, and establish side characters in a place. 

Raven, if you want me to roleplay the person that you are handing books to, I am more than happy to. You can also roleplay it themselves, if you so choose. Obviously if you want more than a single exchange with a side character, you might want someone else to roleplay. However, as you’ve seen with @Ookla of whimsy’s Not Tim, you can also just roleplay a brief exchange yourself. 

@Ookla of Ravens what's your plan? Perses is planning on waiting til night falls to make his move. If you want to somehow be involved or witness to it, you should figure out some way to stick around. If you want, I could RP a side character to give you some sort of reason to stay, but you would know best as to what that reason would be.

Just now, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

@Ookla of Ravens what's your plan? Perses is planning on waiting til night falls to make his move. If you want to somehow be involved or witness to it, you should figure out some way to stick around. If you want, I could RP a side character to give you some sort of reason to stay, but you would know best as to what that reason would be.

yeah, i would like that.