Heartbreaking Moments / Tear-Jerkers

Lateralus

Brandon obviously did a fantastic job with this book, and he's already developed characters that I care about. So much so, that the events and dialogue in this series often gets an emotional reaction out of me. I figure I'm probably not alone in this.

That said, I thought I'd share a couple of the many that I found particularly poignant:

"I've been searching for you, haven't I?" Dalinar said. "All this time, without seeing it."

Kaladin looked away. "No, sir. Maybe once, but... I'm just what you see, and not what you think. I'm sorry."

Heart-wrenching to see Kaladin, at this point - having thought Syl dead - and wishing he could be that man again...

He waited, hoping that she'd look toward him, meet his eyes across the short distance.

She didn't. She rode on, and Kaladin felt like an utter fool. A part of him wanted to hate Adolin for holding her attention, but he found that he couldn't. The truth was, he liked Adolin. And those two were good for one another. They fit.

Perhaps Kaladin could hate that.

Again, coming from Kaladin at nearly his lowest point, this internal dialogue really shows his vulnerability.

Anyone else have any to share?

Edited by Lateralus

It was the single most beautiful thing he’d seen in his entire life.

As I was looking for this quotation, I noticed that Hoid asks something similar of Shallan during the flashback. Her response:

“I . . .” What did this have to do with anything? “Does the pain change day by day?”

“Let us say it does,” the messenger said.

“Then beauty , to that person, would be the times when the pain lessens. Why are you telling me this story?”

He fought the rain. Did that make any sense? It seemed that the rain wanted him to stay inside, so he went out. The rain wanted him to give in to the despair, so he forced himself to think. Growing up, he'd had Tien to help lighten the gloom. Now, even thinking of Tien increased that gloom instead...
Kaladin set his jaw, opening his eyes. No more moping. He would not whine or wallow. Yes, he'd lost Syl. He'd lost many loved ones during his life. He would survive this agony as he had survived the others.
He splashed through puddles of water, and found himself smiling because he wore the boots Shallan had stolen from him.

Emphasis mine. Such a beautiful understated moment. Edited by Chrono

Everything already mentioned (particularly the Shalladin stuff), plus:

"'They told me I was a liar!' the assassin screamed. 'They told me I was wrong! Szeth-son-son-Vallano... Truthless. They named me TRUTHLESS!'"

My heart breaks every time I read this. Poor Szeth... someone needs to give him hugs in book 3. And get him away from Nalan. and then he and Dalinar can have a long chat about atoning for past sins by doing good things now.

There, stuffed in his pocket, was her picture of him. The one that depicted him not as he was, but as she imagined he might once have been. A soldier in an army, in a crisp uniform. Eyes forward, rather than looking down all the time. A hero.

I wish Bluth had the chance to live up to the drawing.

It hadn’t been Tien’s fault. Tien had tried. He’d still failed. So they’d killed him.

Kaladin fell to his knees in the water. “Almighty, oh Almighty.”
The king . . .
The king was Dalinar’s Tien.

Not just heartbreaking, but also a bit of a omg-do-you-finally-get-why-killing-him-is-wrong-storms-you-are-slow moment. Regardless, it was a very emotional scene. Made me remember many Kal-Tien moments from WoK.

He fought for Gavilar. He fought as he wished he had all those years ago, for the chance he had missed.

Poor, poor Dalinar. All those years of guilt crashing him. But then:

If I’d been there, on that night, awake instead of drunk and asleep . . . Gavilar would still have died.

I couldn’t have beaten this creature. I can’t do it now, and I couldn’t have done it then.
I couldn’t have saved him.
It brought peace, and Dalinar finally set down that boulder, the one he’d been carrying for over six years.

I had to take a break at this point. 

There were other scenes of course, but these two immediately came to my mind. Minor, yet so powerful...

edit: Also this one:

He is mine! a feminine voice said. I claim him.

I swear I could hear Syl's voice in my head when I read it. She defied the Stormfather to go and find Kal the first time, she almost lost herself trying to cheer him up when she went for the blackbane leaf and she still fought for him after he betrayed his oaths and killed her. But Kaladin is still hers and the Stormfathers's will matters not.

Edited by Aleksiel

There were sad moments and awesome moments. But as this is only the second book I am not too invested in these characters yet. Maybe after a couple more books I will be more sad, but as of now we are still getting to know the characters. It took me a few books to get real deep into the WoT world and once I was in I have never been more affected by a book. 

When Nyneave visits that village in the Borderlands and convinces the Merchants to join Lan once he raises his banner.

That scene was probably the most intense one I have ever read

Edited by DragonReborn

@DragonReborn, let's be mindful of spoilers. I can't think of a way to paraphrase that scene vaguely enough so it doesn't reveal anything to people who haven't read The Gathering Storm, so you might want to delete it altogether. Either that, or hide it behind a spoiler tag and note the book it comes from.

If you don't know how to do spoilers, here's a quick primer:

[spoiler]Spoilers go here.[/spoiler]
Edited by Argent

Okay, mines is when Kaladin found Hobber alive among the dead. Hobber's all choked up about his failure and cowardice, and all worried about his place now in the army that he's crippled, but Kaladin immediately assures him that he's still one of them and that everything will be alright. Then, even though Kaladin is dead tired, he force himself to be strong and carry Hobber back home. It's just a very nice moment for me. It isn't very hard to see why his men would willingly die for him.

All great parts.

Okay, mines is when Kaladin found Hobber alive among the dead. Hobber's all choked up about his failure and cowardice, and all worried about his place now in the army that he's crippled, but Kaladin immediately assures him that he's still one of them and that everything will be alright. Then, even though Kaladin is dead tired, he force himself to be strong and carry Hobber back home. It's just a very nice moment for me. It isn't very hard to see why his men would willingly die for him.

Yeah that was a tear-jerker scene. I was so glad that Hopper lived. I wonder if Lift could heal him.

I also teared up when Pitt talked about being reforged as a man.

I teared up when Adolin told Kaladin he believed him. I like him before, but I loved Adolin after that scene.

Shallan receiving confirmation of Helaran's death. Great contrast to the euphoria Kaladin is experiencing in the same chapter.

Shallan showing Dalinar her powers and Dalinar learning he is not mad and was right all along

Oh and after Kaladin saves Dalinar from being tossed into the sky and finally shows everyone what he is Dalinar says:

“Kaladin?”

Kaladin turned, glancing at the highprince, who stood tall, despite cradling one arm against his chest. Dalinar met his eyes. “You are what I’ve been looking for.”

Dalinar almost exploding into a mush of goodness. When it describes Szeth lashing Dalinar up...OH STORMS. I had a mini fit, especially since Adolin has to watch, useless, as his FATHER is cast into the sky to die... Oh man the feels. This brought me so much pain. I almost got to the point of whimpering 'Dalinar..no!' Who am I kidding I did whimper that lol

Shallan strangling her father singing the lullaby. Especially after poisoning him with the blackbane her brother had been carrying around because of their father's abuse, then gave to Shallan because she cheered him up. So much symbolism in that. But never mind the symbolism, that chapter was just beautifully haunting. I had to put the book down, cry, scream, process, and come back a couple hours later when I had somewhat recovered in order to find out what was happening to Kal and Shallan in the chasms.

That and Kal's imprisonment 'never again Syl' probably hit me hardest.

So much emotion... Brandon's just a total evil genius, Thats all there is to it.

Dalinar almost exploding into a mush of goodness. When it describes Szeth lashing Dalinar up...OH STORMS. I had a mini fit, especially since Adolin has to watch, useless, as his FATHER is cast into the sky to die... Oh man the feels. This brought me so much pain. I almost got to the point of whimpering 'Dalinar..no!' Who am I kidding I did whimper that lol

Lmao, lets us bask in our manly whimpers together then.

There are some brilliant quotes from you guys in here, and have most of the ones I would have selected already. But one of my favourites has to be when someone who deserved it got their reward.

"Guys, Give the Lopen your spheres. He's got some glowing to do!"

And when Shallan brought Dalinar and Navani the news about Jasnah. I felt so sorry for Navani then.

There were sad moments and awesome moments. But as this is only the second book I am not too invested in these characters yet. Maybe after a couple more books I will be more sad, but as of now we are still getting to know the characters. It took me a few books to get real deep into the WoT world and once I was in I have never been more affected by a book. 

I have to point out...  Way of Kings alone is 387k words.  The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy is 473k.  The entire Harry Potter series is right around 1M words, while Stormlight Archives to-date probably totals close to 800k.  Just sayin'.

--

Huth section was definitely very moving for me.  Probably the most, in fact.  I really liked Hoid visiting Young Shallan (and being surprised by her!).  I felt like there was something extremely important about this god-like entity looking on at this child, knowing how much she struggles, and showing genuine empathy.

Edited by Pechvarry

its a little moment compared to some of the others, and is subverted with the next sentence, but in The Hidden Blade (chapter 76), when Dalinar drags Amaram over to where Kaladin is sitting with Bridge Four.

(Amaram implying Kaladin is crazy or a glory hound, because his claims are obviously preposterous)

Dalinar nodded to himself, as if this were all expected. "I believe an apology is due."

Kaladin struggled to remain upright, his leg feeling weak. So this would be his final punishment. Apologizing to Amaram in public. A humiliation above all others.

I just imagine Kaladin fighting to keep his spine straight, to not slump onto Lopen shoulder, to not let the pain show, as he prepares for Dalinar to hammer "untrusted" into the "I am a weak/horrible/useless/unwanted person who killed Syl." mental deathspiral he was trying to stave off by seeing his men before they left. (His men, incidently, were not being terribly helpful in this regard.)

Jasnah dying. Came as quite a shock, since she the character I find most interesting to read about. I didn't start to consider that she may have still been alive until it became obvious that she must have had Transportation as a second Surge (when it was mentioned how the list of Surges related to the Orders). 

@DragonReborn, let's be mindful of spoilers. I can't think of a way to paraphrase that scene vaguely enough so it doesn't reveal anything to people who haven't read The Gathering Storm, so you might want to delete it altogether. Either that, or hide it behind a spoiler tag and note the book it comes from.

If you don't know how to do spoilers, here's a quick primer:

[spoiler]Spoilers go here.[/spoiler]

Yeah you're right. My bad. For some reason I just assume everyone has already read WoT

I have to point out...  Way of Kings alone is 387k words.  The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy is 473k.  The entire Harry Potter series is right around 1M words, while Stormlight Archives to-date probably totals close to 800k.  

Its not so much about the word count. Its more of the anticipation of a new book. Like for Harry Potter I felt close to the characters because I grew up reading the books. The characters started out at the same age I was. 

• Chaos locked this topic