Long Game 44: Shadows of Elantris Redux

Herowannabe

Well, it seems that Amanuesis used the pendant. I think that either that happened, or there were three of them, and now one is left. In the hands of Amanuesis. I'm pretty sure the first one happened, so we can be sure that he doesn't have a pendant on anymore, and any scans on him should give the correct alignment. Also, voting this cycle! Suspicion everywhere! This is going to be pretty fun.

Just now, Walin said:

Well, it seems that Amanuesis used the pendant. I think that either that happened, or there were three of them, and now one is left. In the hands of Amanuesis. I'm pretty sure the first one happened, so we can be sure that he doesn't have a pendant on anymore, and any scans on him should give the correct alignment. Also, voting this cycle! Suspicion everywhere! This is going to be pretty fun.

Why three? This is the first one used. The last one was a shu-dereth, and why do you think any are left anyways?

Just now, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Bort had a Jeskeri Pendant, which explains why he was sure that Aman scanning him would prove Aman's roleclaim.

Oh. I missed that. How do we know there is one left?

Aladdin strolled over to the alchemist.  Three people taken by the Shaod in one night?  Unheard of!  Aladdin had heard of a strange potion that could duplicate the Shaod’s effects.  Maybe it was that?  He would see what the potionmaster had to say about his theory.

EDIT:  good point kidpen.  Maybe devotary has one?

Edited by TheYoungPyromancer

3 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

EDIT:  good point kidpen.  Maybe devotary has one?

As Walin said:

9 minutes ago, Walin said:

Well, it seems that Amanuesis used the pendant. I think that either that happened, or there were three of them, and now one is left.

We don't know that there's three of them. We do know that either Amanuensis was the one who used the pendant, there were three pendants to begin with, or Aman lied about having a pendant.

I am asking Aman who the cultist is.

What can this tell us?  A.  The elims value getting a kill over killing a (potential) priest, B. Aman is an elim, or C.  The Elims want us to think Aman is an elim.

If Aman names someone to me that isn't a cultist, then it's B.  Otherwise, it's probably A.

If A is true, we can extrapolate that the elims are more worried about the Gyorn than Aman currently, and wish to rush to there win con/kill the Gyorn/kill the Jindo.  Aman being taken by the Shaod is actually handy, as if the Jindo gets poisoned, he can still target Aman. 

We can also assume that Aman was not poisoned, as the Jindo poisoning is an edge-case, and there is no other reason for anyone else to poison Aman (and not keep it for themselves).  (Also, I think the priest would probably not start off with two items.  The trend seems to be 2 for citizens and 1 for roles.)

I was going to say something else, but I forgot it.

Wow! So this means Araris is a Cultist right? Aman said he was using it on Araris, and Araris is still alive. Aman posted at the very end of the Night Pyro.

And hey, maybe Aman will still survive for a while now that he's in Elantris, and so his power isn't as harmful to the Jeskeri!

1 minute ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Wow! So this means Araris is a Cultist right? Aman said he was using it on Araris, and Araris is still alive. Aman posted at the very end of the Night Pyro.

And hey, maybe Aman will still survive for a while now that he's in Elantris, and so his power isn't as harmful to the Jeskeri!

That was a very weird post. He may have given it to Araris, or just decided to vote for Araris later. I do agree that this one is the most likely though. Might be good pyro is checking anyways.

46 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

The Gyorn in the red armor left the courtyard after Saoir was hanged, walking quickly towards the Derethi chapel. The facemask still obscuring his identity, the man stopped at the doors of the chapel, and paused for a brief prayer. He then looked up, regarding the ornate doors serenely.

And kicked them open.

Confidently striding down the center aisle, the Gyorn paid no heed to the startled gasps of the small flock the pathetic local preacher had managed to collect, instead making straight for the podium. The startled arteth there gave way amazedly, too stunned to speak. The Gyorn lifted his voice.

“Arteth Fjon, I relieve you of your station as arteth. Your laxity in dealing with these, your brothers in following Holy Jaddeth, is reprehensible, and you are unfit to lead this congregation. Return to the monasteries for reassignment, and you will perhaps reinstate yourself in Jaddeth’s favor.” The former arteth looked up, a glint of defiance shining in his eye, then bowed submissively and resignedly. “Yes, my lord hroden,” he mumbled, and walked red-faced down the aisle and out of the chapel.

The Gyorn looked around at the remaining people in the congregation. “As for the rest of you lot… your arteth has led you astray. You have not earned the title of a true follower of Jaddeth. But Jaddeth forgives all the sincerely repentant. Rededicate yourselves to his holy will, and you shall gain the power you need to triumph in your life, and to extinguish the vile Elantrians roaming among you!” There was a murmur of assent from the back of the congregation, and the Gyorn realized that a few other people by the door had come to listen to his sermon. All for the better, he thought. In a manner of days all the citizens of Arelon will realize the truth lies in Shu-Dereth alone, and the heathen nation shall at last be mine.

Does this mean the Gyorn has sworn an Odiv?

Just now, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Does this mean the Gyorn has sworn an Odiv?

The bit about the Gyorn is mostly fluff to show that he or she is still around, doing stuff, making converts. It will not be revealed directly or indirectly if/when the Gyorn swears an Odiv. 

7 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

We can also assume that Aman was not poisoned, as the Jindo poisoning is an edge-case, and there is no other reason for anyone else to poison Aman (and not keep it for themselves).  (Also, I think the priest would probably not start off with two items.  The trend seems to be 2 for citizens and 1 for roles.)

Aman has said several times that he wanted to go to Elantris, so it's entirely possible that someone poisoned him. It would also make sense for a Cultist team to poison him instead of killing him if they thought he would be protected.

Hello. Is anybody in the mood for RP on this fine day?

Mostly finished playing catch-up. But yesterday, Aman said he was going to use a Jeskeri pendant on Araris. The writeup confirms that a Jeskeri pendant was indeed used... But Araris is still alive, and the writeup strongly hints that Bort was the elim kill.

Now, unless I am missing something pretty significant in the rules, or Aman informs a contact via PM that they changed their mind targeted somebody other than Araris... I think I know what my vote will be doing for the day. @Araris Valerian

I feel a somewhat vindicated in thinking Araris' comment on D1 about saving villagers was odd.

I'm also a bit confused that the elims didn't just attack Aman, in light of how JinDo works. I'd say the elims didn't feel threatened by Aman... Except that doesn't make sense because it looks a bit like Aman just caught one of them.

EDIT:

I was reading through last night, and this remark stuck out to me:

8 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

If I was an elim, I would poison Aman, but I would probably use something a little more permanent than the item involved in this game.

The turn after this is said, Aman is apparently taken by the Shaod? Might be a coincidence, but... If the elims poisoned Aman to get him out of the way, it would explain why he wasn't attacked.

Edited by Drake Marshall

1 hour ago, TheMightyLopen said:

If Aman did use the Pendant on Araris, meaning Araris is Jeskeri, how does this post by Elenion make you all feel?

I'm not sure, I've always found Araris hard to read, so I can't say I find it more than mildly suspicious. Sure, something to keep in mind, but not really something that makes me suspicious of him, even if Araris is evil. Based on the information we have it seems pretty clear that Araris is evil. I'm not going to lay down a vote until I reread some more, not to mention a quick-bandwagon won't contribute to good discussion.

2 hours ago, Kidpen said:

Looks like Aman got his wish! But it's too bad Bort died. This removes any lingering suspicions of Aman I had in my brain.

Edit: Oh, and I guess Aman probably knows who a cultist is now.

This statement confused me a little bit. Why did Bort dying remove your suspicions of Aman? 

Also, what motivation did the elim's have for killing Bort?

1 hour ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Aman has said several times that he wanted to go to Elantris, so it's entirely possible that someone poisoned him. It would also make sense for a Cultist team to poison him instead of killing him if they thought he would be protected.

Hmmm, still doesn't respond to the point of why not tell us. I don't think it's probably Aman was sent their by chance though, it's too convenient, either if he is an elim or a village. The logic that no one has come out and said they've poisoned him so thus it was not a village is strong in my opinion, so if it happened it would most likely be an elim. Why would the elim's poison him, especially if that's what he asked for? How long does he stay poisoned?

Edit: Poison lasts for two days

Edited by Dalinar Kholin

2 minutes ago, Dalinar Kholin said:

This statement confused me a little bit. Why did Bort dying remove your suspicions of Aman? 

My main thoughts for Aman that lead me to think he was a cultist was that he had been that his defense of Bort felt like it was flimsy and just for protecting a fellow elim. Bort is Arelon. This along with some evidence for Aman being good convinces me that he is for sure who he says he is.