Shallan's Relationship

Gaussian

Shallan + ?????  

562 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Shallan end the series in a relationship with?

@FeatherWriter,

In most cases I would normally never 'ship' a homosexual couple. Hell i normally don't 'ship' anything at all, 'shipping' implies that you are going to argue for that pairing no matter the arguments against it. The pairings I go for aren't neccessarily the ones I wan't, but rather the ones that I think have the most chance of actually happning

That being said, for some reason I am feeling for Shallan/Jasnah what i can only describe as a kind of shipping fever. I don't think I will ever argue for it against the more sensible ships but I sure as hell will look for even the tiniest hints of it. Just on the off chance it actually happens. Then I would probably lose it.

I might have been reading far too much paranormal romance novels, it was about 50/50 het and les too. I think I have strayed down a very strange path O_O.

#StormlightArchiveWithdrawals

The word "shipping" is pretty vague and can mean a lot of different things. Some people use it as "this is what I think will actually happen between these characters" whereas others are more "I appreciate these characters' chemistry and like seeing them interact." I tend to be in the later group. And... I used to not be quite this crazy about all of it, but SA has turned me into a multishipper. Not all of the ships are ones that I specifically want to be kissing or doing explicit romance stuff, but sometimes I just want to see two characters caring about each other and being affectionate - whether it's friendly or familial or romantic.

I like imagining situations where those characters could interact and be cute or engaging together. Like I said, not always romantic, but sometimes. It's an appreciation of a dynamic, of two characters' personalities working together to create something awesome. It's character enjoyment taken to the next level, as you don't just appreciate the character themselves, but also how they interact with the people around them. And I think that's awesome, whether it's het or not, canon or fanon, AU or regular, romantic or platonic. 

I know it's not everyone's method of enjoying fiction, but it's a favorite of mine. Characters are by fiction bread and butter, and relationships between them are just so fun to pick apart and put back together and rearrange and find cool things between them. Some of you guys like worldbuilding, some of you guys like theories and discovering all the secrets. Me? It's all character arcs, all the time.

I am quite a fan of Character arcs as well, I don't really find it all that much fun to find out all the secrets (unless its Brandon's notes for the next few books) in the plot. But i do like finding out all the secrets about the characters, their motivations and beliefs.

On that note. Shallan's character is almost completely defined by her, almost superhuman, ability to suppress signifigant events of her past. The fact that her character revolves around secrets, and thier proverbial darkness, makes the divulging of her past to Kaladin that much more signifigant. Even more so when you consider that she spends almost the entirety of the book running from her past.

It is also worthwhile to note that by the end of the novel Adolin is beginning to question his place in world since the reveal of 'the four'. Including his place in the causal. He remarks internally that their positions before was that of a very Highly ranked Lighteyes and a Lighteyed lady from a very minor foreign noble house. But now Shallan is one of the most important people in the world, and that makes Adolin doubt his place. I don't think this kind of doubt is a healthy thing for their relationship. It would also seem to imply that Adolin is uncomfortable being around, or with, a woman who is in every way more powerful than he his. I wouldnt be suprised if he feels emasculated by the whole affair.

I'm going to chalk that up to one more for Shallan/Kaladin and one more against Shallan/Adolin (and Adolin/Kaladin's friendship maybe).

I find myself quite suprised that Adolin is getting so many votes. I wonder how many people voted for what they want and how many voted for that they think will happen.

Edited by Paradox

@Paradox

You see her getting angry at Adolin in a few scenes when he tries to be protective of her. Not just Adolin, but in a few other scenes you see her let out her resentment to people trying to protect her or underestimate her.

However, in the chasm, Kaladin and her eventually became more of a team than anything else, Kaladin trusted her and took blame when he was wrong about the direction they were going. They came to a mutual understanding that both of them made a mistake and as a team they managed to figure out how the planes were formed (Kaladin's insight gave her the epiphany). When Kaladin basically said he'd sacrifice himself to save her, he didn't do it out of some need to protect the more "fragile" Shallan, but because she was more important to get back. That's why Shallan for once in the book gave into someone protecting her, and she quickly trusted him with her sword because she was planning to help him.Otherwise she'd have probably fought tooth and nail for him to go back since she obviously would have her abilities to protect herself. It was a sign of absolute trust when she gave him that sword, essentially giving him "permission" to protect her as she went to get her things. Even when Kaladin figured out that she most likely was a radiant like he used to be, there was no jealousy or resentment, Kaladin had just lost his last and most precious gift, one thing he never wanted to give away and he still didn't feel any resentment or jealousy towards her.

In contrast, you have Adolin beginning to feel some jealousy at the end of the book and considering their relationship from where each of them was ranked in society. It's understandable, Adolin grew up being the son of a prince, possibly an heir to the throne, and has always protected others with his skills. Now his formerly low ranked fiance, that needed his families power to save her family is now considered his better by societies standards, I can see it getting to anyone. I wonder how much it boils over in the next book with his brother, father, fiance and Kaladin all being knights.

Honestly, I consider Sanderson a great writer, but I'm surprised how much subtlety and depth he's put into the interactions between these three characters. Especially when you think about the length of the book and how little Shallan/Kaladin interacted with one another. A lot of good/great writers have a hard time writing a good love story and so far this one seems to have a "light touch" to it, which in my opinion makes for the best ones. Being able to go back, see hints, connections and depth you didn't see the first time is always enjoyable. I'd still prefer Jasnah and Kaladin, just because I like both characters far more than I do Shallan, but I can live with this one if he keeps writing it as well as he has.

Edited by ssd6

Sanderson apparently hinted at Adolin becoming a dustbringer at one of his book signing although he didn't give a definitive answer in either direction I don't really think he will be a dustbringer. Dustbringers are supposed to be "brave" and "obedient" don't really see him being either maybe in book one he was brave but by the end of Wor he just seemed more of an adrenaline junky looking for his next rush..... And I agree I think Adolins going to suffer from the fact that he's no longer needed to be the white knight and it's going to make him spiteful especially now the his brother is nolonger the weakest link.

Another couple of points of interest that I noticed:

First, when Kaladin is fighting the chasmfiend, Shallan uses lightweaving to distract the chasmfiend from attacking the real Kaladin.  Yet we learned earlier in the novel that Shallan is dependent on having made a drawing recently in order to be able too effectively lightweave, which she did as even Kaladin noted that the illusion appeared as his double.  Thus, Shallan must have drawn Kaladin at some point when they were together in the chasms.

Second, I don't mean this to be inappropriate in any way, but the act of Shallan giving Kaladin a sword, especially her sword, has considerable literary significance.  Swords are the ultimate phallic symbol, and so by Shallan giving Kaladin a sword she was essentially giving him permission to be a man with respect to her, to be her protector.  She also later is the one to carve the cave (a common yonic symbol) they used for shelter, a home if you will, and she willing brought him into the 'home' she had made.  I recall nothing of similar significance happening with regards to Adolin.

Finally, the experience Kaladin and Shallan had in the highstorm was one in which they walked to edge of infinity and looked out, seeing fully displayed their mortality.  You don't go through an experience like that and walk away without a profound (not essentially positive, though) relationship with the other individual.

P.S.  Seloun, I think we (those of us who adhere to said theory) would all accept you as the Shalladin theory leader!

Edited by Gaussian

I would not be happy if Brandon changed his books for no better reason than a knee-jerk (if historically justified ;)) hatred of love-triangles by his readers. Yes, they usually go poorly, but it's theoretically possible to do one well, and I wouldn't want fear of "we told you not to do that!" to be what stopped Brandon from trying.

I agree. I think that, though many of us have been burned by badly done love triangles, if anyone can do it well, it's Brandon. I normally hate love triangles, but I am actually excited to see the way the Shallan/Adolin/Kaladin thing plays out. I love Adolin, but I think they are on unequal levels, and Kaladin and Shallan are better suited both intellectually and magic/power-"ly" Is that a word? :)

Most of the criticism I have read of WoR has been of the use of common formulas and tropes. Brandon's books are unique in so many ways, but everyone seems to expect him to avoid using ANYTHING that may have been done before. There is a reason these tropes are often used in literature; they are entertaining. Is there something so wrong with that? It's the WAY you write them that matters in the end.

I love classic British literature. I obviously know Elizabeth Bennett will end up with Mr. Darcy, but that doesn't mean I avoid reading that genre. I still enjoy the story, the journey. Journey before destination, right?

I think readers should refrain from criticizing purely on the basis that it's a love triangle. Instead, keep and open mind, and the results may surprise you.

Ok. This is a continuation of my previous post. It took my a long time to write this since I have to go through the entire book again and check some stuff hehehe...

Like I said before, there's a lot of foreshadowing here in this book. I also read from someone about the contrast between Kaladin and Shallan. I will expoud further on it and point out some stuff that you might have or might not have notice. I will go through with it in chronological order so that there won't be a lot of confusion.

I will start by mentioning that Shallan is indeed physically attracted to Adolin. I mean, who wouldn't? He is just so perfect. Handsome, rich and famous. What else can she ask for? Is obvious in this scene from the book.

Chapter 49 (Watching the World Transform)

Adolin looked as handsome as he had before. Maybe more so, now that he was obviously more relaxed. She would not let him muddle her mind. She had a purpose to this meeting: an alliance with House Kholin to help her brothers and give her resources for exposing the Voidbringers and discovering Urithiru.

She couldn’t afford to come off as weak. She had to control the situation, could not act like a sycophant, and she couldn’t—

Adolin saw her and closed the portfolio. He stood up, grinning.

—oh, storms. That smile.

His smile broadened. Storms, those eyes . . . Careful, Shallan told herself. Careful!

Kabsal took you in easily. Don’t repeat that.

----------------------
Other than the superficial attraction, Shallan obviously spends most of her time trying to decieve Adolin. These scene is from

Shallan was supposed to get this man to court her? Storms! She’d felt far more capable when trying to scam the leader of the Ghostbloods. Act refined, Shallan told herself.

Adolin has moved with the elite, and has been in relationships with the most sophisticated ladies of the world. He will expect that from you.
“I would lighten that phrasing, Brightlord,” Shallan said, choosing her words carefully.

She sputtered, looking eastward, across the cracked landscape. Act poised! she thought. Elegant! Instead, a primal part of her wanted to scramble for a hole and hide.

Poised, she reminded herself yet again. She pointedly did not look eastward.
Stop it, she told herself, smiling at Adolin. She needed to make sure this meeting went well for him. Get him to talk about himself.

“But surely you can talk about what happened before,” Shallan said, feeling as if she were filling an expected role.

“Isn’t that dangerous?” Shallan asked, dutifully looking at him with widened eyes.

--------------
The first time they went out together. Shallan was acting and lying most of the time, especially when trying to convince Adolin to trust her and then make him bring her to the platues while she search for the evidence of Urithiru. Actually, this was the chapter when Adolin suddenly started confiding in her about Sadeas betrayal, Danilar's visions and their plan to reunit Alethkar. But I don't see Shallan confiding back even when Shallan already knew about his dirty little secret..ahaha..

The third time they meet was after Adolin fought Elit. However, before Shallan went to see the duel, she was already planning to meet Adolin soon because she wanted to talk to Navani. So she purposely went to the duel with another agenda.
------
Chapter 53 (Perfection)

“Shallan,” Navani said. “I hear only good things from my nephew regarding you.”

“Thank you.”

“I will leave you two, then,” Navani said, walking toward the door, her glyphward unfinished.

“Brightness . . .” Shallan said, raising a hand toward her.

Navani left and pulled the door closed.

Shallan lowered her hand, and Adolin winced. “Sorry,” Adolin said. “I’ve been trying to talk to her about it. I think she needs a few more days, Shallan. She’ll come around—she knows that she shouldn’t be ignoring you, I can sense it. You just remind her of what happened.”

Shallan nodded, looking disappointed.

-------------
Shallan always tried to approach Adolin with a hidden a agenda of her own. She's seriously deceiving and lying to him most of the time....

There next encounder was when Shallan went out with Adolin again along with Kaladin. In this chapter, Adolin started to show his strong interest to Shallan with a little bit of possessiveness, which Wit noticed.
----------
Chapter 55 (The Rules of the Game)

“Try not to flirt with the girl,” Wit whispered. “Young Adolin seems to be growing possessive. Or . . . what am I saying? Flirt with the girl, Kaladin. It might make the prince’s eyes bulge.”
----
As always, Shallan started acting which Kaladin notices easily than Adolin.

In the next scene, Kaladin noticed that Shallan was obviously acting.
--
Chapter 55 (The Rules of the Game)

“You always know the best places,” Shallan said, her smile widening.

Could you be any more obvious with your flattery, woman? Kaladin thought.

--

She giggled.

Storms, lighteyes were annoying. Particularly when they fawned over one another. Their conversation continued, and Kaladin found it blatantly obvious how badly this woman wanted a relationship with Adolin. Well, that wasn’t surprising. Lighteyes were always looking for chances to get ahead—or to stab one another in the back, if they were in that mood instead. His job wasn’t to figure out if this woman was an opportunist.

Every lighteyes was an opportunist. He just had to find out if she was an opportunistic fortune hunter or an opportunistic assassin.

--

Kaladin watched Shallan, who sat back, a self-satisfied smile on her face. She had an ulterior motive for going to the menagerie. What was it?

--

This woman was different. Her movements were calculated. The way she laughed, the way she chose her words. She would giggle and blush, but her eyes were always discerning, always watching. She exemplified what made him sick about lighteyed culture.

---
This was the moment when Adolin became obviously smitten with Shallan.
--

Too late, Kaladin thought, watching Adolin sit back with a stupid grin on his face.

That’s dead and burned already.

---
This was the time when Kaladin seems to be very grumpy just watching Shallan and Adolin looking happy.

Shallan and Adolin walked off toward the menagerie. Kaladin retrieved his spear from the back of the carriage, then jogged to catch up, eventually falling in a few steps behind them. He listened to them both laughing, and wanted to punch them in the face.

“What’s wrong?” Syl asked, settling down in the air in front of him. Whichever way he turned his head, she automatically glided that way, as if seated on an invisible shelf, girlish dress fluttering to mist just below her knees.

“Nothing’s wrong,” Kaladin said softly. “I’m just tired of listening to those two.”

“Shallan and Adolin seem happy,” Syl said. “What’s wrong with that?”

“Nothing,” Kaladin said. “So long as I don’t have to listen to it.”

Syl wrinkled her nose. “It’s not them, it’s you. You’re being sour. I can practically
taste it.”

--
Kaladin is probably jealous to see two happy couple enjoying themselves and obviously smitten with each other. Aww...poor Kaladin.
---
Adolin tries to make Shallan jealous in this chapter?...
Chapter 63 (A Burning World)

He did seem surprised that she didn’t get jealous. Were the women of the court so petty? Or was Shallan the odd one, too relaxed? His eyes did wander, and she had to admit that wasn’t something that pleased her. And there was his reputation to consider. Adolin was said to have, in the past, changed relationships as frequently as other men changed coats.

Perhaps she should cling more firmly, but the thought of it nauseated her. Such behavior reminded her of Father, holding so tightly to everything that he eventually broke it all.

---
Shallan is always careful when she is around Adolin, Like all the time. Always thinking about her next move.
--

No, Father’s way was not right. If she wanted to keep Adolin, she had to try something far more difficult than just clinging to him. She’d have to be so irresistible that he didn’t want to let go. Unfortunately, this was one area where neither Jasnah’s training nor Tyn’s would help. Jasnah had been indifferent toward men, while Tyn had not talked about keeping men, only distracting them for a quick con.

--
Another one of her lies to cover up what she was doing. Always lying.
--

You want to come visit? the pen wrote. This is getting really boring.

Sorry, she wrote back to Adolin, I really need to get this work done. It might be nice to have a spanreed conversation to keep me company, though.

Pattern hummed softly beside her at the lie.

---
The first time that Shallan noticed Kaladin's intelligence...ahaha..even if it was said as a quip..ahaha

Chapter 68 (Bridges)

Kaladin took a step after him, but then hesitated. What did Shallan find so interesting here? This woman was a puzzle, and he knew he wouldn’t be completely comfortable until he understood her. She had too much access to Adolin, and therefore Dalinar, to leave uninvestigated. He stepped closer, looking over her shoulder as she drew.

“Strata,” he said. “You’re counting the strata of crem to guess how old the rock is.”

“There was a structure here once,” Kaladin said. “A long time ago. It must have taken centuries for the crem to get that thick on something sticking out of the ground.”

She glanced at him. “You’re smarter than you look.” Then, turning back to her drawing, she added, “Good thing . . .”

---
Shallan seem to be enjoying pissing Kaladin off or getting under his skin ahaha...Nope, Shallan is more of herself when around Kaladin. Not to concern about propriety and social ethics or worried about the way she talks and acts like she does most of the time with Adolin.

Kaladin flushed as the boy took a Shardbearer’s pose, and they all laughed again. Kaladin looked back to Shallan, who folded her arms, drawing pad resting on the flat-topped cut rock before her. She smirked at him.

Insufferable woman. Bah!

Chapter 69 (Nothing)

“Stormfather. I can’t say anything to change the way you treat me, can I? You’re just going to continue to be an intolerant, odious man, full of spite. Incapable of being pleasant around others. Your life must be very lonely.”

That seemed to get under his skin, as his face turned red in the spherelight. “I’m starting to revise my opinion,” he said, “of you not being as bad as the others.”

“Don’t lie,” she said. “You’ve never liked me. Right from the start. And not just because of the boots. I see how you watch me.”

“That’s because,” he said, “I know you’re lying through your smile at everyone you meet. The only time you seem honest is when you’re insulting someone!

“The only honest things I can say to you are insults.”

“Bah!” he said. “I just . . . Bah! Why is it that being around you makes me want to claw my face off, woman?”

--

The only moments where Shallan is truly being honest with herself is when she loses her temper. She pretty much says what's inside her mind without needing to think twice about it, unlike other things.

To be continued...

The next one will be full of Kaladin/Shallan stuff that I would like to expound more? ahaha...

I'll start by saying...please be nice, I'm a newbie to this site/forum and am admittedly overwhelmed by the whole cosmere and am in awe of Brandon and his ability to have conceived of such a concept! LOVED THIS BOOK and all of his others too!

Ok, on to the Shallan relationship topic. I apologize if this was mentioned elsewhere. I tried a search and didn't see anything specifically related to this, but may have not used the right keywords, or it may have been added after I read through all these posts.

In terms of romantic relationship, at this point I have to say I'm rooting for Adolin/Shallan. Not sure if her romantic interests will change in future books or not, but we shall see :)

HOWEVER, I also believe that she and Kal have/will have a very significant relationship as well. While we have the answer on where shardblades/shardspears (YAY!) come from, we are still left with a big gaping hole when it comes to shardPLATE. Granted, all you super uber fans on this site might know where there is a discussion around this, I haven't seen one yet in terms of the Shallan/Kaladin relationship.

This, I guess, is more of a theory, so this may not be the right place/thread for my comments, but I believe that the KR will ultimately be paired up somehow, with the relationship and/or bonds between the spren and their KR creating the shardplate, similar to the shardblades. I'll use the Shallan/Kal relationship for further exploration into this topic.

We've seen a pattern (ha-ha!) particularly in WoR regarding opposites and pairings i.e. splitting of gemstones creating opposite effects, shattered plains being reflections of the same plateaus/shapes, parshendi are often paired in battle and more, but am drawing a blank at the moment for more specific examples...maybe more coffee will help :)

Anywho...if we look at the amazing chart that was put together and is posted elsewhere on this forum, we see that Lightweavers and Windrunners are diagonal opposites (and we know that the Cryptics and Honorspren are at odds). Even though their spren are choosing to somewhat ignore one another, Kal and Shallan get along swimmingly! This of course may change once Shallan figures out that Kal killed Heleran, but we shall see. I think that either Kal/Shallan and their currently at odds spren will form another, more significant bond, allowing for the spren to evolve, or split, or maybe even allow Kal/Shallan to bond ANOTHER spren (each others) to create a link which would then form the shardplate. Not sure how plausible this is in terms of the "rules of the cosmere", but that's my current going theory.

My other thought is that if this other/additional/uber bond is not formed between Kal/Shallan/Cryptics/Honorspren, then it will be between Shallan/Renarin due to the fact that they share a surge (illumination if I read the chart right).

I'm not saying that these are concrete, since technically, if we look at Shallan as a Lightweaver, she could form this bond with a Stoneward, but that just doesn't feel right to me for some reason. I see the relationships forming more in this way:

lightweavers/windrunners

elsecallers/skybreakers

willshapers/dustbringers

stonewards/edgedancers

bondsmiths/truthwatchers (YAY! Dalinar and Renarin!)

-OR- using the other theory about shared surges/abilities

elsecallers/lightweavers/truthwatcher

elsecallers/willshapers/stonewards

stonewards/bondsmiths/windrunners

etc.etc. going around the circle

But again, based on the current Shallan/Kal relationship, I'm going with a brother/sister/protective relationship for them in the future vs. a romantic one.

I can see the argument, however, that if they DO end up being able to "bond" in some way, that they would ultimately be a romantic couple. So, I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

I'm also attaching a copy of the picture I referenced above just so you don't have to go hunting for it.

Someone earlier was talking about contrast..So I'm going to expound more on that...

I will start by mentioning this scene.

Chapter 70 (From a Nightmare)

“Variety?” he asked.

“Yes. If we’re both pleasant, there’s no artistry to it. You see, great art is a matter of contrast. Some lights and some darks. The happy, smiling, radiant lady and the dark, brooding, malodorous bridgeman.”

Comparing Kaladin and Shallan..Well, they are obviously quite opposite from each other. Like Shallan said, she is the happy and smiling lady while Kaladin is the dark and brooding one...It shows more clearly here when they are together. However, Shallan seems to get grumpy every time Kaladin seems to be acting cheerful. Here are the examples.

He smirked, taking a piece of dried chull meat from her shoulder and popping it in his mouth. “In my home town growing up, bath day was once a week. I think even the local lighteyes would have found it strange that everyone out here, even the common soldiers, finds a bath more frequently.”

How dare he be this chipper in the morning? Or, rather, the “morning.” She threw another piece of chull meat at him when he wasn’t looking. The storming man caught it.

I hate him.

And when Kaladin turned back into his moody self. Shallan started to act cheerful and happy again. And she doesn't know why she was in the mood at that time.

“Confusion,” she said. “I will graciously take that as a sign that you’re amazed that I can be so humorous at such an early hour.” She leaned in conspiratorially, whispering. “I’m really not very witty. You just happen to be stupid, so it seems that way. Contrast, remember?”

She smiled at him, then continued on her way, humming to herself. Actually, the day was looking much better. Why had she been in a bad mood earlier?

And when Kaladin became cheerful again, she's the one who is suddenly moody.

Chapter 72 (Selfish Reasons)

Falling stone made a beating sound on the dead chasmfiend’s armor. “You’re doing great!” Kaladin called up to her. “Keep at it!”

“When did you get so peppy?” she shouted.

“Ever since I assumed I was dead, then I suddenly wasn’t.”

“Then remind me to try to kill you once in a while,” she snapped. “If I succeed, it will make me feel better, and if I fail, it will make you feel better. Everyone wins!”

-------------

Another contrast. Well, Shallan has developed a habit of ignoring or forgetting things that are unpleasant to her while Kaladin spends most of his time beating himself with it, blaming himself.

Shallan ingoring her unpleasent situations

Drat. She needed a bit of one so that when they got back, she could grow a plant for experimentation. Pretending she was here to explore and record new species helped push back the gloom. She heard Pattern humming softly from her skirt, as if he realized what she was doing, distracting herself from the predicament and the danger. She swatted at him. What would the bridgeman think if he heard her clothing buzz?

Kaladin blaming himself for landing themselves in that situation.

She rolled her eyes exaggeratedly. “You are really intent on beating yourself up, aren’t you?” His father had said the same thing time and time again. It was who Kaladin was. Did they expect him to change?

Someone also mention this, about how both Shallan and Kaladin reacts during the weeping. Kaladin became more gloomy during the weeaping and dislike it very much...while Shallan became more creative during this time and seem to enjoy the rain.

Kaladin
Chapter 77 (Trust)

The Weeping was a bad time for him. Days spent trapped indoors. A perpetual gloom in the sky that seemed to affect him more than it did others, leaving him lethargic and uncaring.

Chapter 80 (To Fight the rain)

He fought the rain. Did that make any sense? It seemed that the rain wanted him to stay inside, so he went out. The rain wanted him to give in to the despair, so he forced himself to think. Growing up, he’d had Tien to help lighten the gloom. Now, even thinking of Tien increased that gloom instead—though he couldn’t avoid it. The Weeping reminded him of his brother.

Shallan
Chapter 78 (Contradictions)

Four days into the Weeping, and she still enjoyed the weather. Why did the soft sound of gentle rain make her feel more imaginative? Around her, creationspren slowly vanished, most having taken the shapes of things about the camp.

However, Kaladin seemed to have move on with the gloom. He even thought about Shallan which brought a smile on his face.

Chapter 80 (To Fight the Rain)

Kaladin set his jaw, opening his eyes. No more moping. He would not whine or wallow. Yes, he’d lost Syl. He’d lost many loved ones during his life. He would survive this agony as he had survived the others. He continued his limping circuit of the barracks. He did this four times a day.

Sometimes Lopen came with him, but today Kaladin was alone. He splashed through puddles of water, and found himself smiling because he wore the boots Shallan had stolen from him.

I never did believe she was a Horneater, he thought. I need to make sure she knows that.

Why am I talking about contrast? For one thing, Shallan and Kaladin perfectly complement each other. They balance each other out as shown in some of the scenes above. Like for example, Shallan trying her best to ignore the unpleasant things around her, especially her past while Kaladin keeps on blaming himself for the death of his friends and love ones. Well, during the time in the chasm. They finally realized that what they were doing with themselves were not healthy. And so they confided in each other because they both understand what they were both going through.

Similarties

Kaladin has the an imense fear of being betrayed. And the fear of being thrown into a cage again.

Shallan is afraid of being suffocated due to overprotectitiveness. She is afraid of being locked away like a fragile child.

Kaladin saying almost the same thing as Shallan.

Chapter 58 (Never Again)

“This,” Kaladin said, looking at her, “is what comes of trusting lighteyes. Never again, Syl.”

“Kaladin . . .”

He closed his eyes, turning and lying down on the cold stone bench.

He was in a cage once again.

Shallan reacting to Adolin's overprotectiveness.
Chapter 75 (True Glory)

"I don’t!” Shallan said. She breathed in and out, calming herself. She reached out and took him by the hand. “I won’t be locked away again, Adolin.”

“Again?”
But I won’t let you, or anyone else, treat me like a thing to be hidden away.

Never, never again.

The Blackbane was like a symbol. A turning point in their lives.

Kaladin was awaken from his despair and attempted suicide after receiving the Blackbane from Syl.

Chapter 11 (Droplets) The Way of Kings

One more try.

Kaladin opened his eyes. He was cold and wet, but he felt a tiny, warm candle flame of determination come alight inside him. He clenched his hand, crushing the blackbane leaf inside, then dropped it over the side of the chasm.

Shallan tried to kill her father through Blackbane, given by her brother.

Chapter 73 (A Thousand Scurrying Creatures)

“You gave me something a few years ago,” she said. “A pouch. I kept it. You said it grows more potent over time.”

“Oh, Stormfather,” Wikim said, raising his hand to his mouth. “The blackbane?You . . .”

“In his wine,” Shallan said. “Malise is dead by the kitchen. He went too far.”

Someone also mention that the way Shallan describe Kaladin is similar to the way Navani describe Dalinar.

He stared into her eyes. So intense. She felt a shiver meeting that expression. This was a man of passion.
But Kaladin’s intensity, that frightened her. He seemed like a man who constantly had his teeth clenched, a man who couldn’t let himself—or anyone else—just sit down and take a nice rest.

That's the contrast and some similarities. The others similarities that I mention is the one where Shallan meet the slaver, his cronies and Gaz. and travelling in the same cage as Kaladin did.

I'm still not done yet...ahaha...I have other stuff that I need to mention as well...ahaha...Including some heavy foreshadowing that could affect the next series....ahaha

To be continued...

Edited by dhazellouise

Shallan being shallow and not 100% honest with Adolin and being more herself with Kaladin has been used too many times here. Let's be real.

When Shallan meets Adolin, she's so far below his station in life that she really shouldn't have a chance. She has to be calculating, because without Jasnah to stump for her, there's no reason for Adolin to marry someone from a minor house in Jah Keved.

When Shallan meets Kaladin, she treats him like crap.  Obviously she's sees him as a dark eyed soldier who's beneath her. If that's her being herself, well then Kaladin CAN and should do better.

Edited by Shards of Mist

I never saw Shallan as being outright manipulative of Adolin. In truth, most girls when flirting with boys do the exact same thing that Shallan does: they put on a mask of seduction and allure to keep the boy interested. Shallan is trying desperately to get him attracted to her, and she does seem to like him: comments on handsomeness, talks about how nice he is to Kaladin, etc.

However, Shallan's relationship with Adolin has always been on shaky ground, in my mind. To Shallan, the number one priority of marrying Adolin is not for love, it's for protecting her house and her brothers. Entering into a relationship with that priority is dangerous and frankly, unhealthy to both partners. Shallan never seems to grow attracted to Adolin for any reason other than his looks and charm. And, as many people have proved, looks and charm just won't cut it if you want to have a deep healthy relationship.

As for Shallan treating Kaladin as a jerk, remember how they first met. Yes, Shallan did demand Kaladin's boots for kicks, but Kaladin also says some pretty mean and mocking things towards her. It's much less of a "treating him like crap" so much as a mutual snark fest between them. The second time they meet, same thing: rudeness towards Shallan, retaliation, snarking.

And then, there's the whole stretch in the chasms. Shallan drops the innocent and demure Brightlady act awful fast around Kaladin. In fact, she reveals her true self rather quickly around him, as evidenced by the snarking. But not only does she do this, she also confides in Kaladin about her past. That is something that I just don't think she would do with Adolin. She doesn't interrupt Kaladin when he tells her his backstory. They listen to each other and learn from each other's experience.

Now, who knows how this whole thing will work out? But, most importantly, I think the love triangle or however Brandon decides to resolve it, will be just fine. Think about the last few chapters of Words of Radiance. Shallan and Kaladin are both under high pressure and don't even think about each other. That pressure is not going to back down for a while. One of the main protests about love triangles that I have heard is that the characters spend way too much time thinking about it in situations where they should be focusing on their job. If the last few chapters of WoR are anything to go by, then the triangle should be just fine.

Shallan's description about Kaladin. She has this habit of comparing Kaladin and Adolin.

Blast. A solid argument. It was a good thing Adolin hadn’t thought of that. The prince was wonderful, and he certainly wasn’t stupid, but he was also . . . mentally direct.

This bridgeman was proving himself different.
The way he watched her, the way he thought. Even, she realized, the way he spoke. He talked like an educated lighteyes. But what of those slave brands on his forehead? The hair got in the way, but she thought that one of them was a shash brand.

----------

He nodded. There was a sort of rugged handsomeness to the fellow. Like the beauty of a natural rock formation, as opposed to a fine sculpture like Adolin.

But Kaladin’s intensity, that frightened her. He seemed like a man who constantly had his teeth clenched, a man who couldn’t let himself—or anyone else—just sit down and take a nice rest.

----------
Chapter 75 (True Glory)

He grinned, Shardplate helm hanging from his saddle so as to not mess up his hair. She waited for him to add a quip to hers, but he didn’t. That was all right. She liked Adolin as he was. He was kind, noble, and genuine. It didn’t matter that he wasn’t brilliant or . . . or whatever else Kaladin was. She couldn’t even define it. So there.

Passionate, with an intense, smoldering resolve. A leashed anger that he used, because he had dominated it. And a certain tempting arrogance. Not the haughty pride of a highlord. Instead, the secure, stable sense of determination that whispered that no matter who you were—or what you did—you could not hurt him. Could not change him.

He was. Like the wind and rocks were.

-----------

The funny thing is. Shallan seemed to like to compare Kaladin to a rock. A natural rock formation. And here's what she thought of a rock since she's been searching for Urithiru in this entire book. For me, this is kinda relevant. Shallan symbolizes a rock as something pretty important to her.

---------------
Chapter 80 (To Fight the Rain)

“It’s here,” she said.

Gaz scratched at the socket beneath his eye patch. “Rocks?”

“Yes, guardsman Gaz,” Shallan said. “Rocks. Beautiful, wonderful rocks.”

-----------------

I find this funny when I read this part. Shallan comparing Kaladin to a natural rock formation is like she truly appreciated Kaladin more than Adolin. The way she describe Kaladin has more depth. I haven't really seen Shallan compare Adolin to something that is relevant. Or maybe I missed it?

While Shallan mostly desrcibe Adolin about what she saw. She is certainly more attracted to his physical attributes than anything else. Every time Shalln sees Adolin, the first thing she always noticed is how handsome he is or how good he looks even when there is a little bit discoloration in his face. I think Shallan never describe Adolin like she described Kaladin. I always wonder why Shallan seem to always compare Kaladin to Adolin. Why would she do that? Unless she was interested or see him attractive in his own way...

Chapter 78 (Contradictions)

Shallan was stirring up a retort as the tent flaps parted and Adolin trudged in, Shardplate streaming. He pushed up his faceplate. Storms . . . he looked so good, even when you could see only half his face. She smiled.

---
Chapter 88 (The Man Who Owned the Winds)

He had his wrist wrapped, and the bruises on his face were starting to purple. They made him look slightly less intoxicatingly handsome, though there was a rugged “I punched a lot of people today” quality to that, which was fetching in its own right.

----
There are still a lot of occassions as well where in Shallan just describe Adolin as handsome every time she saw him.

----------------

Now let's compare Adolin and Kaladin once again during their time with Shallan. I will focus more on Kaladin since he's the one I'm rooting for hehehe...

Number one: Let's talk about Shallan desiring to see the Chasmfied. We all know tha she just ask Adolin to take her along to the platues so that she can search Urithiru..But she was obviously interested in the Chasmfiend as well. Adolin allowed to take her to see the Chasmfiend. But its a dead Chasmfiend since he was clearly concern about Shallan getting hurt if it was a live chasmfiend.

“Well, I wasn’t saying . . . I mean . . .” She stopped herself. “I need to get out onto the Shattered Plains,” she said more firmly. “If I’m going to try to figure out how to breed them, I’d need to see one of these chrysalises before it’s been cut into. Preferably, I get to see an adult chasmfiend, and—ideally—I’d like a captured juvenile to study.”

-----
Now for Kaladin, well...He tried to stop Shallan at first but allowed her to observe a chasmfiend from a far...and then taking her away when the chasmfied was done eating.Shallan was able to draw a chasmfiend at last. I say I give one point to Kaladin for letting her go and then being there with her just to make sure that she was safe.

“Stay here,” Shallan whispered.

Then, incredibly, she started to move toward the sounds. Still holding the spheres awkwardly with one hand, he reached out with the other and snatched her. She turned back to him, then looked down. Inadvertently, he’d grabbed her by the safehand. He let go immediately.

“I have to see it,” Shallan whispered to him. “We’re so close.”

“Are you insane?”

“Probably.” She continued toward the beast.

---

Oh my Kaladin, did you just grabbed Shallan's safe hand? How inappropriate of you...ahaha..
----

Number two: Confiding in Shallan and Shallan Confiding back. The matter of trust.

Adolin is a sore loser in this even after Adolin confided in Shallan about everything that was happening to him. Shallan haven't really told anything to him at all. Even when they were already in Urithiru.

--------

“No, then I dueled to punish.” He glanced about, then met her eyes. “It began when my father started seeing visions . . .”

He continued. He poured out a surprising story, one with far greater detail than she’d anticipated. A story of betrayal, and of hope. Visions of the past. A unified Alethkar, prepared to weather a coming storm.

---
Chapter 87 (The Riddens)

Several scribes passed by, bringing paper to draw out maps of Adolin’s exploration. They bobbed quick, uncomfortable bows to Shallan and called her “Brightness Radiant.” She still hadn’t talked at length with Adolin about what had happened to her.

----------------
Yep, Kaladin is the real winner in this. After Shallan's insistence. Kaladin confided in her and was rewarded in return.

----
Chapter 24 (Striding the Storm)

“I need to hear the story,” Shallan said.

“I’ll tell it to you sometime.”

-----

“Please,” Shallan said. “I need to hear something other than that. Tell me.” He shivered, but nodded. Voices. Voices would help. “It started when Amaram betrayed me,” he said, tone hushed, just loud enough for her—pressed close—to hear. “He made me a slave for knowing the truth, that he’d killed my men in his lust to get a Shardblade. That it mattered more to him than his own soldiers, more to him than honor . . .”

He continued on, talking of his days as a slave, of his attempts to escape. Of the men he’d gotten killed for trusting him. It gushed from him, a story he’d never told. Who would he have told it to? Bridge Four had lived most of it with him. He told her of the wagon and of Tvlakv—that name earned a gasp. She apparently knew him. He spoke of the numbness, the . . . nothing. The thinking he should kill himself, but the trouble believing that it was worth the effort.

And then, Bridge Four. He didn’t talk about Syl. Too much pain there right now. Instead, he talked of bridge runs, of terror, of death, and of decision.

------------

He got through it all, amazingly. The last bridge run. Rescuing Dalinar. He wanted to spill it all out. He talked about facing the Parshendi Shardbearer, about how he’d offended Adolin, about holding the bridgehead on his own . . When he finished, they both let the silence settle on them, and shared warmth.

Together, they stared out at the rushing water just out of reach and lit by flashing.

“I killed my father,” Shallan whispered. Kaladin looked toward her. In a flash of light, he saw her eyes as she looked up from where her head had been resting against his chest, beads of water on her eyelashes.

With his hands around her waist, hers around him, it was as close as he’d held a woman since Tarah.

“My father was a violent, angry man,” Shallan said. “A murderer. I loved him. And I strangled him as he lay on the floor, watching me, unable to move. I killed my own  y father . . .”

He didn’t prod her, though he wanted to know. Needed to know.

---

She continued talking, speaking of the night—also during a storm—when she’d poisoned, then murdered her father.

--------------

Number three: Obviously, Kaladin is the winner under certain circumstances. But what the hell! I think Shallan got the most heart-thumping moments with Kaladin more than with Adolin. She nearly spend her time physically assaulting Kaladin...and the other way around..ahaha... She even get to see the stormfather...which she could add to her collections of drawings LOL.

Shallan counted. The highstorm hit—she could feel it. Something beyond the thumping of the door and the distant sound of thunder.

“Six seconds,” she said.

“What?” Adolin asked. His voice was hushed, and others in the room spoke in whispers.

“It took six seconds after the servants closed the doors until the storm hit. We could have spent that much longer out there.”

-----

“Kelek’s breath!” Shallan said. “What was that?”

“You saw the face?” Kaladin asked.

“Yes. So vast . . . I could see stars in it, stars upon stars, infinity . . .”

----------------

Number four: Saving someone and Lending her Shardblade

Well, Shallan was not able to save Adolin  during the duel due to some difficult circumstances...but she doesnt seem to mind lending her shardblade to Kaladin. Nope, she doesn't mind letting Kaladin use it... Lucky Kaladin ahaha...

Chapter 57 (To Kill the Wind)

For the briefest instant, she considered going down to help. Sheer stupidity; she’d be even more useless than Renarin down there. Why didn’t anyone else help them? She glared across at the gathered Alethi lighteyes, including Highlord Amaram, the supposed Knight Radiant.

--------------
Chapter 71 (Vigil)

“Kaladin . . .”

“It has to happen, Shallan.”

“At least,” she said, reaching her hand over his shoulder and past his head, “take this.”

“Take what?”

“This,” Shallan said. Then she summoned a Shardblade.
Edited by dhazellouise

Well, the thing is I'm not actually sure I _favor_ Kaladin/Shallan, it's just what the evidence points to right now. My original, original point in this thread was that there's _so_ much evidence for it (if you dig even a little) that I'm almost expecting it to be subverted somehow in the series. If it does get subverted, though, there's going to have to be a lot of ink spilled to justify it given all of the narrative demands.

There's a huge amount of evidence for Kaladin/Shallan, but in my opinion the real clincher is how Helaran's killer was dealt with. The story goes out of its way to make sure Shallan doesn't know who the real killer is (as noted before, there are at least 3 occasions in the book if not more for her to learn this) while emphasizing how irrationally angry she gets with Amaram. There's no way that can't have a payoff, and in order for that to have a payoff, 1) Shallan has to be invested in Kaladin in some fashion and 2) Kaladin can't be around to explain what happened in a forthright manner.

Now it's possible Shallan can be invested in Kaladin besides in a romantic manner; it's possible just the Radiant connection would be sufficient. But I don't think that would work satisfactorily due to the Radiant organization bond being so new to everyone; no one is quite invested in it yet. Furthermore, it's unlikely to be a bond that will develop beyond WoR, since due to (2), Kaladin is almost certainly going to be out of touch for a while.

It's also possible that in the end, things like Helaran's death may result in Shallan/Kaladin's relationship for working out. But the narrative as it stands seems to demand at least they get strongly involved to make Helaran's death meaningful. From a meta perspective, I can't see any other reason why Helaran's death was handled in the way it was.

Edited by Seloun

Ahh don't forget poor Tarah. Two books of foreshadowing it must exist a reason. dhazellouise summed perfectly all KalxLan evidence, but three things stay in my mind when I think about them.

One - Shallan brother are huge a set back, and i think that Brandon will play this card before Kaladin and Shallan come close enough to be together (first rule of  love in fiction don't let your character get together too soon, a happy couple aren't very interessing)  This will set them a part very hardly, Kaladin know the true but are holding, this will not come from him Amaram or other person probably will realese this storm and when this hit the fan things will go south fast and furious. This is a treason.

Two - Tarah, Kaladin have this in him past we don't knw who she is put she is someone dear to Kal, thta helped him when he are down, and someone that he was intimate but that he failed. This knot must be untangle before Kal jump in another relationship, he like to blame himself for things and this kind fit in his personality.

Three - Shallan are playing a dangerous game with her spy act, and her pesonality are already fracturing because of this. This Shallan that like Kaladin aren't the only Shallan that exist. She are creating another persornas and she see this persornas like live persons (she commented that her spy self would be better to survive in tha Clasm and also said that if everyone must know that she are a radiant she would let them have this persona and keep the others to her). She hate pattern, and she have the habit of block the things that hurt her, I totally see blocking her original person(the one that like Kal) and using another one not soo lovely =)

In the first book Kaladin, Shallan, Szeth, Dalinar

And of course this: 

"There are four whom we watch. The first is the surgeon, forced to put aside healing to become a soldier in the most brutal war of our time. The second is the assassin, a murderer who weeps as he kills. The third is the liar, a young woman who wears a scholar’s mantle over the heart of a thief. The last is the highprince, a warlord whose eyes have opened to the past as his thirst for battle wanes.

The world can change. Surgebinding and Shardwielding can return; the magics of ancient days can become ours again. These four people are key.

One of them may redeem us.

And one of them will destroy us."

Guess who I'm thinking that gonna fall in madness; And guess who i think that will have to kill his heart to protect the wolrd. Tragic have to kill the one you love to protect the wolrd, isn't. This will be his last ideal probably =) 

Edited by Natans

There is another related point that I would like to make here it could be said that Shallan actions and counciling in the chasm became the turning point for Kaladin and resulted in Sils resurrection. I state this simply to illustrate the point that Shallan and Kaladin have more to give the story then just a romantic side plot. That and there banter is just pure entertainment. :)

Edited by arcmourn

"There are four whom we watch. The first is the surgeon, forced to put aside healing to become a soldier in the most brutal war of our time. The second is the assassin, a murderer who weeps as he kills. The third is the liar, a young woman who wears a scholar’s mantle over the heart of a thief. The last is the highprince, a warlord whose eyes have opened to the past as his thirst for battle wanes.

The world can change. Surgebinding and Shardwielding can return; the magics of ancient days can become ours again. These four people are key.

Where is that quote from? I can't place it (note: I only have the Kindle edition). It sounds familiar...and I seems to recall that I assumed it was from the Parshendi perspective (note the only missing PoV character of the first half is Estonai).

There is another related point that I would like to make here it could be said that Shallan actions and counciling in the chasm became the turning point for Kaladin and resulted in Sils resurrection. I state this simply to illustrate the point that Shallan and Kaladin have more to give the story then just a romantic side plot. That and there banter is just pure entertainment. :)

I figure this is another demonstration of Shallan 'buffing' people.

Throughout the book Kaladin keeps saying he needs an example of a lighteyes that isn't out to screw him before he's ready to show himself as Radiant (assuming that it will be Dalinar); she's the one that finally breaks him out of that cycle. Dalinar does deliver, but it's a chapter late.

The thing you have to watch out for here is the context of the wording.

"One of them may redeem us.

We infer destruction is bad but the over all outcome implied by destruction can mean more than the singular negative after all what might the destruction bring and what is the nature of the destruction.... Sry couldnt help myself on that one it just Bugs me

Edited by arcmourn

I want Kaladin to end up with Shallan, and I definitely think that somewhere down the line, she's going to realize that she loves Kaladin despite everything (him being his brother's killer, etc.), but I don't think they are going to end up together, much in the same way Wax did not end up with the girl he really loved. Even if Kholinar becomes rubble, I can imagine Adolin talking about creating a life together out of the ash and wielding a hammer instead of a Blade, and Shallan saying yes to that - not because she loves Adolin more, but because Adolin is pure and steady where Kaladin is twisted and uneven.

But I do have a feeling Veil and Kaladin may be in a relationship for a while (everything about the woman he loves but not a lighteyes noble betrothed to what is quickly becoming his best friend? Yeah, Kaladin would totally go for that). But Shallan will ultimately have to choose - if she kills Pattern, then she chooses Adolin.

But I do have a feeling Veil and Kaladin may be in a relationship for a while (everything about the woman he loves but not a lighteyes noble betrothed to what is quickly becoming his best friend? Yeah, Kaladin would totally go for that). But Shallan will ultimately have to choose - if she kills Pattern, then she chooses Adolin.

This is probably unlikely. One of the major character development on Kaladin's part (due to Shallan, in fact, in the chasm) is that he's gotten over his lighteyes issues (at least, in a categorical sense). Besides:

“Try not to flirt with the girl,” Wit whispered. “Young Adolin seems to be growing possessive. Or . . . what am I saying? Flirt with the girl, Kaladin. It might make the prince’s eyes bulge.”

Kaladin snorted. “She’s lighteyed.”

“So?” Wit asked. “You people are too fixated on that.”

“No offense,” Kaladin whispered, “but I’d sooner flirt with a chasmfiend.” He left Wit to drive the carriage, hauling himself into it.

And lo, he's tried the chasmfiend thing; didn't really work out. Now he can move on!

Edited by Seloun

Who ever says that Shallan and Kaladin could be just friends or some kind of sibling relationship...Well, I don't know about that...I find the Chasm scenes look too "COZY" with all the hugging, grabbing, sleeping in each others arms...and staring in each other's eyes stuff...I mean. If Shallan cared about Kaladin's station, she would have never let her touch her...and most of the time, Kaladin calls her "Shallan" and not "Brightness". Shallan doesn't seem to mind or say anything about it.

Chapter 71 (Vigil)

“Yes,” he whispered.

Shallan nodded, holding his eyes. “Yes. It would be nice if nobody in the world knew of those things, Kaladin Stormblessed. I agree. With everything I have.”

He saw it in her eyes. The anguish, the frustration. The terrible nothing that clawed inside and sought to smother her. She knew. It was there, inside. She had been broken.

Then she smiled. Oh, storms. She smiled anyway.

It was the single most beautiful thing he’d seen in his entire life.

---

“Please,” she whispered, sounding more frantic. “Don’t leave me down in these chasms alone.”

He smiled wryly. “Is it really this hard for you to let me win one single argument?”

“Yes!” she said. “No, I mean . . . Storms! Kaladin, it will kill you.”

---
Chapter 72 (Selish Reasons)

“Good. And, um, please don’t die, all right?” He was suddenly aware of her pressed against his back. Holding him, breath warm on his neck. She trembled, and he thought he could hear in her voice both terror and fascination at their situation.

“I’ll do my best,” he said. “Get ready.”

She nodded, letting go of him.

---

Puffing, Kaladin pulled against the wall of the alcove, his injured leg smarting like nothing else, Shallan clinging to him. She was a warmth in his arms, and he held to her as much as she did him, both of them sitting hunched against the rock, his head brushing the top of the hollowed hole.

--

A crash of thunder, accompanied by a blinding flash of light, sent him stuttering. Shallan pulled more tightly against him, fingers digging into his arm. The light left an afterimage in his eyes.

---

“I killed my father,” Shallan whispered.

Kaladin looked toward her. In a flash of light, he saw her eyes as she looked up from where her head had been resting against his chest, beads of water on her eyelashes. With his hands around her waist, hers around him, it was as close as he’d held a woman since Tarah.

----

“And so,” she continued, pressing her head back against his chest, “we decided that I would find Jasnah. She . . . had a Soulcaster, you see.”

I mean come on! Why would she even place her head back against his chest? Haven't she noticed that they were like really close together like some kind of lovers?! Or is she really good at ignoring things? She could have just sit beside him and talked. They way they are like clinging to each other makes them look like a pair of octopus!
----

For now, he wanted to think—though he was still glad for her presence. And aware of it in more ways than one, pushed against him and wearing the wet, increasingly tattered dress.

----

He shifted to move to climb down, but realized that Shallan, curled up against him, had fallen asleep. She snored softly.

“You must be the only person,” he whispered, “to ever fall asleep while outside in a highstorm.”

Uncomfortable though he was, he realized he really didn’t fancy the idea of climbing down with this wounded leg. Strength sapped, feeling a crushing darkness at what the Stormfather had said about Syl, he let himself succumb to the numbness, and fell asleep.

----

At first, Shallan and Kaladin are both determine to hate each other and now it seems like they are sleeping together like lovers? Well, I understand about the need for body heat. But do they have to be like, having their arms wrapped around one another?

After all of this things that happen in the chasm, I would be surprise that Kaladin and Shallan would not develop some kind of attraction with each other. It is already evident that Kaladin was attracted to her...even when he tried hard not too.

He had made invalid assumptions about her, as she had so poignantly noted. Again and again. It was like a part of him frantically wanted to dislike her.

I mean why would Kaladin want to frantically dislike her? Unless he already start to like her already? ahaha...

And it seems that Shallan looks to be interested as well.

She waited for him to add a quip to hers, but he didn’t. That was all right. She liked Adolin as he was. He was kind, noble, and genuine. It didn’t matter that he wasn’t brilliant or . . . or whatever else Kaladin was. She couldn’t even define it. So there.

Passionate, with an intense, smoldering resolve. A leashed anger that he used, because he had dominated it. And a certain tempting arrogance. Not the haughty pride of a highlord. Instead, the secure, stable sense of determination that whispered that no matter who you were—or what you did—you could not hurt him. Could not change him.

He was. Like the wind and rocks were.

Finally, the last bit that I would really like to mention. The foreshadowing. I think most of this have already been mention by others as well. But I would like to expound and include some of my own opinions about what is going to happen.

I will mention the four main things that are obvious.

Natans stated this recently.

Number One: Hellaran's death

It is obvious that Brandon omitted the part of mentioning Kaladin killing Shallan's brother, Helaran. It was so obvious that it seemed that it was omitted purposely for later use, just to drive a wedge between the two characters. Shallan didn't seem to make a connection and Kaladin is reluctant to tell her about it. Yes, Shallan will probably found about it later on...and would surely make her hate Kaladin. And when people starts hating, they will be open to Odium's influence and would probably drive the person to do some terrible things.

I think Kaladin was also influence by Odium due to his hatred towards Sadeas, Amaram and Elhokar, but especially Amaram and Elhokar. His hatred drove him dark and he made a poor decisions, leading to Syl abandoning him and loosing his powers.

I think Odium also influence Adolin too. Through out the book, Adolin barely restrained himself from totally killing Sadeas. He just completely lost control at the end of book and he ended up killing Sadeas.

Number Two: Tarah

Tarah will probably show up in the later books. She was already mention by Kaladin like two times in WoR. He kept on talking about his failure to her. But I suspect that Kaladin was not married or engage to her. Kaladin was like 16 years old when Tien died. I don't think he won't contemplate about marrying someone or being engaged to someone especially when Kaladin is a soldier. Knowing Kaladin, he probably doesn't one to be with someone else in case he dies and don't want his wife/fiancee/ lover for his death. So I suspect that this woman Tarah really loves Kaladin, Kaladin probably loves her too but not as much. He's probably too depressed because of Tien's death and he is not ready to love someone wholeheartedly without fearing of losing that person. So my theory, Kaladin probably told her that "I'm not a man for you...I don't want to see you became miserable just because I can not love you the way you love me. It's better is you be someone who doesn't have to spend most of his time obssessing about his brother's death and brooding over it most of the time." Maybe something like that....ahahaha...

Then Tarah will probably show up in the next books. I suspect she will play an important role as well. Brandon seems to withheld information about her. She was not included in Kaladin's flashback. So we will probably learn more of her if she appears in the next books. Brandon will probably make her as one of the member of the factions or one of the Knight Radiants.

Number Three: Shallan's connections with the Ghostblood

Yep, since Shallan is a member of the Ghostbloods and the Knight Radiants. Shallan will have a hard time setting her priorities especially when the Ghostbloods have her family. Shallan will probably spend most of her time spying and using her illusions to deceive everyone. She will probably serve as a double agent as well. Since Danilar mention that she will spending her time finding out how to open the Oathgates. It is clear that Shallan will not remain in Urithiru. In able for her to open the other Oathgates, Shallan will probably go to the other Oathgates scattered all over the world. Jasnah will probably be going with her to help her out. Knowing Brandon, he will probably made it certain that Shallan and all the characters would be meet along the way and kick some chull and then save the world. And maybe even fool Kaladin into falling in love with a Shallan while she is in a disguise? LOL.

Number Four: Adolin's Insecurity.

Adolin becames insecure of his station which is obvious in this following scene.

Chapter 87 (The Riddens)

“I will,” he said. “Soon.” He touched her face. “You’re amazing, you realize. You saved everything. Everyone.”

“No need to treat me like I’m glass, Adolin.”

“You’re a Radiant,” he said. “I mean . . .” He ran his hand through his persistently messy hair. “Shallan. You’re something greater than even a lighteyes.”

I believe he is stating this fact because he probably realize that Shallan being a Knight Radiant could mean that Shallan doesn't need the Khonilar's powerful influence to help her to save Shallan's family. Adolin is probably starting to worry that Shallan would no longer need him to marry him and then end their bethothral.

As Adolin walked the dark halls of Urithiru, he tried not to show how overwhelmed he felt. The world had just shifted, like a door on its hinges. A few days ago, his causal betrothal had been that of a powerful man to a relatively minor scion of a distant house. Now, Shallan might be the most important person in the world, and he was . . .

What was he?

He is already starting to get uncertain of his position when it comes to Shallan. His insecurity will probably lead him to become more clingy to Shallan. He has already shown his overprotectiveness towards Shallan after Shallan fell into the chasm, and Shallan clearly doesn't like it. Clingy, Overprotective and insecure Adolin would drive Shallan away. Shallan probably don't want to end the bethothral at first but if Adolin started acting clingy and overprotective, Shallan woul feel suffocated and will be the death of their relationship. And it would be even more terrible if Shallan and Kaladin seems to more friendly with each other than before, making Adolin jealous and more insecure, especially when Kaladin is now one of the Knight Radiant.

After Adolin killed Sadeas, Adolin would probably start feeling jumpy and careful just to avoid suspicion. And when Adolin feels all of these kinds of negative emotions, Odium will have influence on him and then he will then try to get more power by stealing Kaladin's honorblade. It has been confirmed that Adolin will not become a skybreaker...and I think not even a Knight Radiant. I think Adolin killed Sadeas out in cold-blood because he was overcome with rage. Well, this could slowly happen in the next two books. Not immediately.

Number Five: Adolin's overprotectiveness towards Shallan

Even when Shallan is already a radiant, I don't think Adolin will stop being overprotective about her. I think Adolin will start worrying even more because Shallan is starting to discover her newfound powers and now she is a member of Ghostbloods, which means spending time going through the enemy lines and doing some dangerous stuff.

Chapter 75 (True Glory)

Adolin shows his protectiveness in these following scenes.

He embraced her once more. “Well, I won’t let it happen again. Nothing like it. I’ll protect you, Shallan.”

She stiffened.

“I will make sure you aren’t ever hurt,” Adolin said fiercely. “I should have realized that you could be caught in an assassination attempt intended for Father. We’ll have to make it so that you aren’t ever in that kind of position again.”
---

“Shallan?” Adolin said.

“Don’t worry, they won’t get to you. I’ll protect you. I—”

“Don’t say things like that,” she hissed.

“What?” He ran his hand through his hair.

“Just don’t,” Shallan said, shivering.

---

But I won’t let you, or anyone else, treat me like a thing to be hidden away.

Never, never again.

Shallan strongly reacts to Adolin's overprotectiveness. After that, Shallan started to show her annoyance towards Adolin for still treating her like that way, even when she already told him not too. Or maybe she just started to feel suffocated?

Chapter 77 (Trust)

“I said that Sebarial has a carriage. You might want to travel with him.”

“Because I’m too delicate for riding?” Shallan said. “Did you miss that I walked back through the chasms in the middle of a highstorm?”

“Um, no. But walking and riding are different. I mean, the soreness . . .”
“Soreness?” Shallan asked. “Why would I be sore? Doesn’t the horse do all of the work?” Adolin looked at her, eyes widening.

“Um,” she said. “Dumb question?”

“You said you’d ridden before.”

“Ponies,” she said, “on my father’s estates. Around in circles . . . All right, from that expression, I’m led to believe I’m being an idiot. When I get sore, I’ll go ride with Sebarial.”

“Before you get sore,” Adolin said. “We’ll give it an hour.”

As annoyed as she was at this turn, she couldn’t deny his expertise. Jasnah had once defined a fool as a person who ignored information because it disagreed with desired results.

She determined to not be bothered, and instead enjoy the ride.

Shallan still could not get over the fact that Adolin asked her to stay inside the couch. Obviously shown in this following scenes. She really is touchy when it comes to overprotectiveness. If Adolin keeps on treating her this way, then it would surely destroy their relationship later on.

The coach did make her feel shut away, though. Not everyone who tries to take care of you is trying to do what your father did, she told herself firmly. Adolin’s warned-of soreness had never manifested, of course. Originally, she’d felt a small amount of pain in her thighs from holding herself in place in the saddle, but Stormlight had made it vanish.

It is obvious that Shallan is trying to convince herself that Adolin was not trying to do to her what Shallan's father did to her.

“So,” Shallan said, feeling awkward, “did Dalinar exile you to the coach to protect you from getting sore, as Adolin did to me?”

Natan mention this. I would also like to include my own theory on this one. It has a lot a of foreshadowing.

I suspect that it could be either Kaladin or Shallan at this point. Why Kaladin? Well, I just based on this scene.

“Truthwatcher?” Kaladin said, glancing at Shallan. She shook her head. “I walk the winds. She weaves light. Brightlord Dalinar forges bonds. What do you do?”

Renarin met Kaladin’s eyes across the room. “I see.”

“Four orders,” Dalinar said, squeezing Renarin’s shoulder with pride. Storms, the lad was trembling. What made him so worried? Dalinar turned to the others.

I don't know. After reading this, I think Renarin probably saw something in the future, especially when he met Kaladin's stare. I think Kaladin would probably be the one who is either going to redeem or destroy all the world. And then Renarin started acting worried about something afterwards.

Or it could probably be Shallan since she is the one who has ties to the Ghostbloods and still the problem with Helaran's death. She could probably switched side just because of that or something else.

Number Six: Kaladin travelling back to his hometown

Kaladin will probably travel back to his hometown but not alone. Since Shallan needs to open to the Oathgates so that other cities can enter Urithiru and save them from the everstorm. Shallan will probably try to hitch a ride with him and drop her off to Khonilar since its kinda near to Heartstone? Hmn...I'm kinda hoping that it does. Maybe its not gonna happen, but still hoping.

Anyway, Kaladin will be returning to Heartstone. Kaladin will find out that his family is no longer there because his father died? His mother returned back to her side of the family and Kaladin was left in Heartstone to help them instead. I really hope that Kaladin would not have any kinds of feeling towards Laral because she's a bitch. Kaladin will still have problems trying to suppress his hatred towards Roshone but still help heartstone and convince them of the everstorm. Well, maybe they travel to the nearest oathgate in hopes that they will safe in Urithiru. Other people come along and he meets Shallan and Jasnah along the way too, while she tries to open the oathgate.

Number Seven: Szeth, Nightblood and Skybreakers

Well, since the next book is about Szeth, and the next everstorm will be in Shinovar. I think Szeth will spend most of his time trying to take the honorblades from the Shin and convince them of the Everstorm.

I think Nalan will also ask Szeth to kill Shallan since Shallan killed her father. I think Nalan would see that as a crime? When Szeth goes to Shallan, Kaladin is there with her, and they resume fighting again. Kaladin trying to protect Shallan while Shallan tries to figure out how to open the oathgate in Kholinar and do it before the everstorm arrives like a hour later...ahaha...

Number Eight: Danilar

Danilar would spend most of his time in Urithiru trying to prevent a war from breaking between Sadeas army and his army. He will also spend most of his time being investigated and preventing assassination attempts on himself and the King, especially when all the Highprinces started take Urithiru and their new discoveries. He will also have to spend most of his time contacting other countries.

Number Nine: Adolin after killing Sadeas

Adolin will be more cautious and jumpy. He will probably framed someone for the death of Sadeas. He will not be able to go back to the way things are after what he's done. He will be mostly afraid to be found and especially afraid for his father to find out.

Well, these are my theories on the next book. With regards to Shallan/ Kaladin in the next book. Well, I think they will just become friends, maybe a little bit attracted to each other but just friends.

Edited by dhazellouise

Hah, you fools shipping Shaladin!  It's obvious that the ship should be Syladin.  Jokes aside I think that Shaladin is going to be not very likely in the third Stormlight Archive book due to Kaladin flying to Hearthstone.  He probably won't be even near Shallan for at least half the book. For Shalarin, that is going to crash and burn due to Shallan calling him creepy.  Shalodin I am quite not sure about.  The relationship seems very superficial due to Shallan just liking Adolin's physical properties and his affluence and influence.  And now that she is a Radiant she doesn't need either of those things.  Overall, I think I shall stick with "Unknown" because there are going to be eight more books with hopefully a thousand pages each.  In my opinion we shouldn't really try to predict what future relations ships are going to be.  We don't know Shallan might be killed off.  Or hopefully not.

(This is my first "detailed" post please don't kill me with your advanced essay writing skills if you disagree with me.)

Edited by Adamantame