Bookmark or no?

Bookmark or no?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. When you need to put a book down, do you use a bookmark, or just find your page again later?

• Bookmark
    • Memory
    • I never put a book down until I finish it

25 minutes ago, Roadwalker said:

Personally, I go either way.

Noted. :ph34r:

On topic: On the off chance that I am reading a physical copy of a book, I use a bookmark. I got an Alcatraz bonus item by visiting an airport bookstore that Sanderson had been to recently so I generally use that.

I usually can remember context, ie. Oh, right, I remember it was just after he was about to kill himself, and then can skim to the right spot, but sometimes I spoil what comes next :wacko:

If I am reading a book for the first time I will usually use a bookmark.

If  I use a bookmark, it's on a hardcover where I just flip in the dustcover on the page I am on.  Most of time though, I don't even bother with that.  Not because I'm always going to remember where I am.  IT's that I have three cats and two small children and I often times come back and find my book either on the floor or elsewhere, obviously flipped through...and the bookmark wouldn't have mattered.

I try to use a bookmark, especially in bigger books (looking at you, Stormlight). My "Bookmark" is usually the receipt I got when I bought the book, because I start reading it before I'm even out of the store most times. Eventually I nearly always lose my bookmark, and then proceed with the heretic practice of folding the corners. 

Edited by Penumbra

17 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

The only time bookmarks are useful is if the book is really, really boring  (i.e. WoT book 9)

Good job getting that far!

Most people I've talked to have only gotten to book 3 or 4. 

They should be getting better soon... ;)

I have these magnetic sloth bookmarks that I use. They're really nice. (I'm a sloth lover through and through). I use to use random pieces of paper, put then I got the sloth bookmarks.

Edited by Tesh

Bookmarks yes! If I don't mark my place in a book, then I have to waste time finding my spot again that I could've been using to actually read. I have so many bookmarks lying around in my house that finding one is never hard.

I use a bookmark if there's one convenient. Note that I can't handle slips of paper, or tissues, or anything other than a real bookmark. If I don't have one handy, I just remember what page I'm on, which works for me because I have a really good memory. Dog-earing books? *Gasp* I would have a freak out if someone dog-eared one of my books. I'm the kind of person who likes their books in perfect condition, even after having read them 4 times.

I generally use a book mark.

However, I actually use sticky notes. They are nice because they stick to the page(so they don't just fall out),. If I don't have one of those I generally use whatever other paper. If there is no paper, then I just memorize my page number(I would never purposefully bend the page of a book, for any reason.)

If by "bookmark" you mean nearest piece of paper/other flat thing, yeah, I use bookmarks. All my bookmarks that are actually designed to be a bookmark always seem to slip into non-existence... most frustrating

Also, how do you people even remember what page you were on though. Seriously, how do you people not forget? :blink:

1 hour ago, StormyQueen said:

If by "bookmark" you mean nearest piece of paper/other flat thing, yeah, I use bookmarks. All my bookmarks that are actually designed to be a bookmark always seem to slip into non-existence... most frustrating

I used to buy such pretty bookmarks and they would always slip in to non existence too! These days I just message the page number to myself. 

10 hours ago, StormyQueen said:

Also, how do you people even remember what page you were on though. Seriously, how do you people not forget? :blink:

Practice. Or just knowing the general area you were at and skimming until you find your spot. 

• 1 month later...

I've never been able to keep bookmarks - they end up being ripped up since I play with them while I read, or I lose them- so I generally just memorize the page/chapter numbers. I've been doing it for so long that it is natural. If I forget the page/chapter number then I turn to the general area ("Oh yeah, I was about 3/5 of the way through!") and explore from there. People who are able to hang onto bookmarks for more than half of a book confuse me, and I am in awe of their powers.

I’m reading 11 books right now, so I really, really need bookmarks because there’s no way I can remember where I am in all of them. I also only have 10 bookmarks at the moment, which is a big issue. 

Edited by Ookla the maladroit