[OB] What is *this*?

Sparkrunner

Moved to Oathbringer spoilers.

Do you mean the black sphere? It wasn't in a necklace, as far as I can recall. What it holds is still a mystery, although there are two major schools of thought (an Unmade, and Odium's Stormlight analogue) that are in pretty vicious competition.

This is a common shape for crystals, called a wand. They're often used for healing and other esoteric purposes. You'll notice Vedel's earrings are also this shape. I don't know that we've seen them anywhere else in the story, but I can see the heralds using them for some magical purposes. 

Edited to add an additional thought based on @Jaconis comment: I imagine the crystalline structure and shape of gemstones is important for the storage of stormlight. There are probably certain shapes that hold more light. Maybe the wand is an economical or powerful shape for stormlight usage.

Edited by Starla
didn't want to double post.

On 10/27/2017 at 2:35 AM, Jaconis said:

Vedev seems to have something similar, though bigger, as earrings. Maybe it’s what they used to hold Stormlight?

It's a good idea, but the Heralds didn't use stormlight, they were connected directly to Tanavast and drew power from him. There might be some significance connected to the Heralds that have those elements, but I can't think of what Ishar and Vedel might share that Ash and Jezrien don't have.

I'm guessing that it will have something to do with Urithuru. It will be a key of some sort that can be used to power up one of the functions the city hasn't needed to use since the Heralds first arrived. Something like a lockout key where all the Heralds need to be there with all the keys at once.

16 hours ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

I'm guessing that it will have something to do with Urithuru. It will be a key of some sort that can be used to power up one of the functions the city hasn't needed to use since the Heralds first arrived. Something like a lockout key where all the Heralds need to be there with all the keys at once.

This is clearly the correct answer.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] What is *this*?
  • Chaos locked this topic