Oathbringer Typos (spoilers)

Jofwu

Ebook page 661, Chapter 50:

"And my other surge?" Dalinar said. "That Radiant in the vision made stone warp and ripple."

You are not ready. Besides, that surge is different for you than it is for a Stoneward.

At least the other instance of the Stormfather's error was fixed, but this one remains.

Ebook page 782, Chapter 59:

"It's your turn, Blackthorn. I'm ready."

"No, you blooded me."

"blooded" should be "bloodied"

Ebook page 804, Chapter 61:

None of the other bridgemen had gotten far enough to swear the Second Ideal, so Bridge Four would be unable to practice with their powers until he returned.

Not sure if this is a typo, but Kaladin didn't get squires until his Third Ideal - same with Teft, so I think it should say Third Ideal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tor Reread for chapter 110 came out today and confirmed a timeline issue I was afraid of...Sea_of_Lost_Lights.jpg

It appears Karen has the following dates:

Chapter 97 (Shadesmar group leaves the lighthouse on the lightspren ship) = 1174.2.4.1
Chapter 101/102 (group arrives in Celebrant and leaves on the honorspren ship) = 1174.2.4.4
Chapter 110 (group abandons Honor's Path and begins making their way to Thaylen City) = 1174.2.7.4

That's 3 days from lighthouse to Celebrant and 20 days from Celebrant to wherever they jumped off.

Map, to the right, for reference.

This just doesn't really make sense to me. We don't know exactly where the lighthouse is or exactly where the group abandoned ship. But with reasonable approximations... The second leg is definitely a longer journey, but it's NOT 6-7 times further. Even if they didn't go through channels--if they circled all the way around the isthmuses (isthmi?) to the east--it wouldn't be that much of a difference. And this is on top of the fact that Honor's Path is explicitly stated as being faster than Ico's merchant ship. (2nd paragraph of chapter 108)

The dates for Chater 97 and 110 are set pretty hard, I believe. Might be able to shift them a day or two. To make this work, I think the two Celebrant chapters need to shift much later. More time on Ico's ship and less time on Honor's Path.

I don't think there's anything that would prevent making that change... Nothing that ties chapter 101/102 to some other event happening elsewhere. There are references to time passing that would need to be adjusted. (e.g. 99 says they will arrive in Celebrant after 2 days) There are references to how much Stormlight they have in their spheres that would need to be adjusted. (their chips would be long dead when they reach Celebrant, and their marks too probably)

I'm not sure what it implies about ship speeds. If you go pull the actual distances, what are the average speeds of the ships? This might make Ico's ship really slow... But then, if that's the case, Honor's Path is currently depicted as moving at a snail's pace so... It is what it is. Maybe worth considering whether it's possible to shift 97 and 110 as much as possible though, if it appears the ships are moving very slow.

Relevant chapters: 99, 101, 102, 108, 110

• 1 month later...

In Chapter 120, The Spear That Would Not Break - the bottom of page 1,179 on the printed version - there’s the sentence “The air itself responding as if to the voice of God himself.” when Shallan sees Jasnah Soulcast. Shouldn’t ‘himself’ be capitalized in this case? Or is it a cultural Vorin thing not to use the reverential form of the pronoun? 

• 4 weeks later...

He nodded. He couldn’t write to them of course, but he could flip the reed on and off to send signals, an old general’s trick for when you lacked a scribe.

Oathbringer, Chapter 64

Spanreeds are a relatively recent invention, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for this to be "an old general's trick".

• 3 months later...

"Jasnah!" he called. "Amaram's soldiers changed sides. They serve Odium now! I saw it in vision!" - Chapter 119

Missing word between 'in' and 'vision'. 

The sword. So it was a spren? “You almost ate him,” Lift said. “You almost starvin’ ate me !”

Oh, I wouldn’t do that, the voice said. She seemed completely baffled, voice growing slow, like she was drowsy. But … maybe I was just really, really hungry.…

-Chapter 119

Change in pronouns for Nightblood - this may have been deliberate, flagging just in case. 

11 hours ago, LadyLameness said:

Missing word between 'in' and 'vision'.

There was a whole debate between me and someone else earlier in this topic about that (then we got reprimanded by Peter :D). In short, that's deliberate phrasing. And yeah, iirc, Nightblood being referred to as She by Lift is also on purpose.

11 hours ago, RShara said:

There was a whole debate between me and someone else earlier in this topic about that (then we got reprimanded by Peter :D). In short, that's deliberate phrasing. And yeah, iirc, Nightblood being referred to as She by Lift is also on purpose.

Interesting, I did a search for the chapter number and nothing came up so I assumed it hadn't been added yet. 

I think I remember seeing  a discussion a long time ago about Nightblood and the gendering in OB - I think it's rather neat if purposefully done. 

• 5 weeks later...

He almost collided with a young woman with blue-white skin, pale as snow, wearing a filmy dress that rippled in the wind. - Chapter 87

Syl said this place had no wind. - Chapter 116

There appears to be a contradiction in information between these chapters.

It doesn't appear that this is happening specifically because of Syl like it does in the Physical Realm as Kaladin comments that her hair acts normally in the Cognitive.

Her hair doesn’t ripple here, he thought. In the Physical Realm it often waved as if being brushed by an unseen breeze. Here, it acted like the hair of a human. - Chapter 97

Just opened up this thread up and found the following written out. Presumably something I wrote and never posted... Not sure if there's a reason I didn't post or if I just got carried away and forgot. Posting it as it was just in case. :lol:

Minor (potential) continuity issue in OB chapter 8.

Earlier in the chapter Shallan notes that the spheres in her satchel are dun, but when she does the weird synergy thing with Dalinar to make the map of Roshar it says she drew Stormlight from her satchel. I skimmed over and didn't see anything about her restocking the satchel, so unless only some of the spheres were dun, then this is a small error.

And now the reason I opened this thread up in the first place...

In OB chapter 24, Dalinar speaking: 

The Tukari scribes keep claiming they will bring my words to their god-king.

I believe this is the only tie Tezim is named "god-king". In TWoK and elsewhere in OB he is named "god-priest". Perhaps an unofficial title and thus not wrong to change the phrasing. Could be Dalinar being mistaken. But figured maybe Dalinar should be saying "god-priest" here.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 121, US hardback p. 1194: 

Navani pursed her lips, but then was pulled away by Dalinar and Fen's conversation; they were planning to write the Azish and explain what had happened.

I don't think they were just going to write the words "the Azish". 

On 7/28/2020 at 9:44 AM, Staenbridge said:

Chapter 121, US hardback p. 1194: 

I don't think they were just going to write the words "the Azish". 

You can say it that way, actually. If you write someone, it’s the same as writing to someone. I think the phrase was originally British? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 0:42 PM, xxViolaxx said:

At the beginning of Chapter 23 right at the end of the conversation between Kaladin and the old man, the old man says "And don't theraten me. I'm sixth dahn.". But seeing as he is a lighteyes, it should say nahn shouldn't it? 

Nahn is darkeyes

• 3 weeks later...
On 14. 11. 2017. at 8:11 AM, Valhalla said:

Not sure if this is actually a typo, but on page 425 in the Kindle version Shallan in referred to as "Shallan" when she is in the Veil persona. We usually see her refer to herself by the persona she is in at the time.

I also noticed that. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Snorkel said:

Chapter 7

"What did he care? He intended to see his parents moved from this city anyway."

Referring to Kaladin's hopes that his parents will move out of Hearthstone.  Is the word "city" a mistake?

It should be stone from WoW or Blizzard card game.

Chapter 32

She's touched the storming Midnight Mother. A name from ancient lore, one of the Unmade, princes of the Voidbringers. People sang about Re-Shephir in poetry and epics, describing her as a dark, beautiful figure.

Should it be "princess of the Voidbringers", or is it using "princes" to describe all of the Unmade? Not sure about this.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 4:45 AM, Snorkel said:

Chapter 32

She's touched the storming Midnight Mother. A name from ancient lore, one of the Unmade, princes of the Voidbringers. People sang about Re-Shephir in poetry and epics, describing her as a dark, beautiful figure.

Should it be "princess of the Voidbringers", or is it using "princes" to describe all of the Unmade? Not sure about this.

I don't believe so. Princes modifies Unmade. The Unmade are princes of the voidbringers; Re-Shephir is one of them

• 1 month later...

OB Hardcover pg302 Not sure if this is a typo error or I am misinterpreting it.

The art on the walls was more enigmatic. A solitary figure hovering above the ground before a large blue disc, arms stretched to the side as if to embrace it. Depictions of the Almighty in his traditional form as a cloud bursting with energy and light. A woman in the shape of a tree, hands spread toward the sky and becoming branches.

Other murals depicted shapes that reminded her of Pattern, windspren... ten kinds of spren. One for each order.

I assume that the first three murals represent the Sybling Stormfather and the Nightwatcher. So is the mural representing the bondsmith spren a repeat or a typo?

On 11/7/2020 at 8:13 AM, Blckbird said:

OB Hardcover pg302 Not sure if this is a typo error or I am misinterpreting it.

The art on the walls was more enigmatic. A solitary figure hovering above the ground before a large blue disc, arms stretched to the side as if to embrace it. Depictions of the Almighty in his traditional form as a cloud bursting with energy and light. A woman in the shape of a tree, hands spread toward the sky and becoming branches.

Other murals depicted shapes that reminded her of Pattern, windspren... ten kinds of spren. One for each order.

I assume that the first three murals represent the Sybling Stormfather and the Nightwatcher. So is the mural representing the bondsmith spren a repeat or a typo?

I assumed the three were Odium, Honor, and Cultivation.

There seems to be an inconsistency with the skin color of Sah, the former parshman and colleague of Khen who "captures" and later befriends Kaladin.

In chapter 14, Kaladin sees Khen playing cards with a tall male singer. I will qualify this by saying this is not explicitly stated to be Sah, but context clues in subsequent chapters make it fairly clear that it's him. Kaladin thinks:

They looked different from what he expected. For one thing, their skin was a different shade—many parshmen here in Alethkar had marbled white and red skin, rather than the deep red on black like Rlain from Bridge Four.

Then in chapter 51, Moash sees Sah, and thinks:

The parshman was tall, with rough hands, mostly dark skin marbled with lines of red. The others had called him "Sah," a simple Alethi darkeyes name.