Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

51 minutes ago, Left said:

I've got my first AP exam of the year today. AP Psychology. I feel okay, but dang there's a ton of stuff in Psych and if the whole exam covers the nervous system instead of like the experimental method and therapy than I'm in trouble.

I didn't take AP Psych, but the most difficult AP exam I did take (AP US History) covered a wide range of topics. So did AP US Gov and AP English Lit. So you should be okay. 

5 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I just had a lady get elitist with me because she had to do her research with encyclopedias. "You actually had to work," she told me. "With computers, everything's just handed to you."

Ma'am, do you not understand the point of technological advancement? :mellow: 

Man, I would love if a 16th century monk ended up in our world and got all snooty about encylopedias as an inferior learning tool than illustrated manuscripts :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Man, I would love if a 16th century monk ended up in our world and got all snooty about encylopedias as an inferior learning tool than illustrated manuscripts :ph34r:

"But, Brother John, half the relevant information is missing and the rest is inaccurate."

"Hmph! Means you have to think about what you're reading!"

2 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

"But, Brother John, half the relevant information is missing and the rest is inaccurate."

"Hmph! Means you have to think about what you're reading!"

... to be fair though, "half the information is missing and the rest is inaccurate" kind of describes the internet :P

1 hour ago, The Honor Spren said:

I finally watched Your Name.

Wow.

I don't think I've ever said this about anything mega popular, but it lived up to all of its hype. :mellow:

Oh, I've heard about that. So, it's worth tracking down then?

Last really good anime film I watched was Wolf Children

My AP World teacher is awesome. For the past month, he's been holding daily review sessions that keep him at the school until nine. Nine! He always gives honest feedback on work, and never sugar coats it, and is always able to keep the class engaged. I don't believe I've ever met someone with a greater integrity, and I've definitely never had a teacher with a greater dedication to his students. 

59 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Oh, I've heard about that. So, it's worth tracking down then?

Last really good anime film I watched was Wolf Children

Yep. I've heard there are ways to watch it legally, but I just used one of those questionable watch-anime-free sites . . .

4 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

I finally watched Your Name.

Wow.

I don't think I've ever said this about anything mega popular, but it lived up to all of its hype. :mellow:

Never heard of it before like a day ago. What's it about?

4 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I just had a lady get elitist with me because she had to do her research with encyclopedias. "You actually had to work," she told me. "With computers, everything's just handed to you."

Ma'am, do you not understand the point of technological advancement? :mellow: 

Stealing this line kthxbai

5 minutes ago, Delightfully Smoak said:

Never heard of it before like a day ago. What's it about?

It also goes by the name Kimi no Na wa. It's about two high schoolers on opposite side of Japan who randomly start switching bodies one day and that's just the first half. I won't say spoilers, because those types of people are despicable, but there's some major plot twists. And the animation, HOLY COW. I am in awe of this studio it is so beautiful.
I'll just put the English dubbed trailer down below:

Spoiler

One AP exam down, three to go. I'm feeling pretty good about how Psych went, although I had hoped for a different proportion of certain types of questions in the mcq section. Probably got a pretty strong four or a five on it, but who knows. 

I'm gonna spend the evening celebrating by playing RPGs and bingeing netflix. 

11 hours ago, Left said:

I've got my first AP exam of the year today. AP Psychology. I feel okay, but dang there's a ton of stuff in Psych and if the whole exam covers the nervous system instead of like the experimental method and therapy than I'm in trouble.

I didn't take the Psych test, but one of my friends did. Of course, I didn't realize that the test was today, until I saw your post and realized the reason she was studying during band class this morning was because she had to take the AP test later. I don't know how she manages to study and play her bass clarinet at (almost) the same time, without getting caught by the band director.

One of my coworkers perfectly described those somewhat annoying, definitely impatient people who just dump their stuff and leave without waiting for an employee to help, with this metaphor:

"When McDonald's is busy, do you hop the counter and make your own burger, or do you wait for someone to be free to help you?"

Edited by Slowswift

Got to get some beauty sleep so I can vote against a school levy tomorrow. 

They say it's for capital projects such as building maintenance,  but if you look at the pages that support it,  it's all about building new football stadiums with astroturf. 

In other words, they are lying about "not wanting to pull money out of the operational budget for use in capital projects" because that is what they are going to do after they send all the levy money for the next few years on sports. Storm them, I won't have any of it! 

7 hours ago, Mestiv said:

I've been to a park today, the nicest park in Warsaw and I took some photos that might interest @Sunbird and other bird enthusiasts :)

Reveal hidden contents

paw1.jpg

paw2.jpg

paw3.jpg

Peacocks!! Oh, they're beautiful! Thanks for sharing, Mestiv. ^_^

I know a lot of ya'll are Utah people and I'd guess some of you are Brigham Young people; The New England Patriots just signed Linebacker Harvey Langi from BYU. Have any of ya'll seen him play? I'm usually pretty good on college football but haven't seen anything about him.

Edited by Iron Eyes

Just finished first season of Samurai Jack. I'm looking forward to starting season 2 tomorrow. I like the art style, I like the minimalism (sometimes few minutes pass when nobody has spoken a word), I like the... style, I guess? With the comic-like splitting the screen?

I like how it plays with the tropes and genres - lately there have been two travelers on narrow bridge who can't pass by each other turned buddy cop; mafia/gangsters thing; and the last episode is really meta with telling stories.