Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

30 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

I could never be a vegetarian. I honestly like all foods, so long as they aren't expressively forbidden. Being vegetarian would be a little constricting for me. 

Yeah, that does sometimes occur to me when I think about it. But there are plenty of things you can have instead of meat: in fact, part of the problem is that so many foods we're accustomed to having with meat. I had a mushroom lasange that tasted wonderful, and they say pulled jackfruit is better than pulled pork.
Although...being vegatarian would be difficult if you had certain religious or cultural foods that always contained meat, or if you had an iron deficiency.

2 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

Yeah, that does sometimes occur to me when I think about it. But there are plenty of things you can have instead of meat: in fact, part of the problem is that so many foods we're accustomed to having with meat. I had a mushroom lasange that tasted wonderful, and they say pulled jackfruit is better than pulled pork.
Although...being vegatarian would be difficult if you had certain religious or cultural foods that always contained meat, or if you had an iron deficiency.

I love meat, though if I could go partially vegetarian I would. Meat is expensive, but I've found I need a lot of protein to function. Vegetarian sources don't usually do it for me. 

19 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Guys.

GUYS.

JordanCon was amazing.

And next year is the 10th anniversary! Brandon will be back! I will be on panels!

afdklsjaghkdlksa;

I couldn't go this year because of work X_X I will be there next year though, I plan on making sure I have the time off as of this December (which is the earlier I can take it off for next year).

9 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

@Darkness Ascendant @bleeder @Delightfully Smoak @The Honor Spren @Slowswift

I should probably move this to someplace more permanent soon….since it feels like poor form to just keep summoning y'all. :P 

Hide contents

Harry wasn't sure what to expect when he knocked on Dumbledore's office door. The Headmaster's voice granting him entry, of course; but beyond that, he had no expectations. The note he'd received had been cryptic, apparently scribbled in haste, beckoning him to the office for a lesson barely fifteen minutes before it was scheduled to begin. He was still a bit winded from the hurried climb, still a tad resentful toward whoever had decided the Hogwarts Headmaster needed to have all those stairs guarding his office. 

He opened the door and let it frame the scene: Dumbledore, staring into the Pensieve with a deep frown, holding another silvery memory at the tip of his wand. The Headmaster looked up briefly, saw Harry, and dropped the memory into a small glass bottle, which he slipped into his pocket. "Harry. Come here, quickly." 

"What is it, Professor?" Harry closed the distance quickly and followed Dumbledore's gaze into the silver bowl, saw Voldemort approaching this same office, sitting down for a planned conversation as snowflakes drifted down behind the window. "Is that—? 

"The memory I shared with you last night, yes. It is." 

Now Harry shared the Headmaster's frown. "But—I saw this one already." A thought occurred to him. "Did someone change it, like Slughorn did his?" 

"No, not like Slughorn." A faint smile appeared on his lips, vanished just as quickly. "This alteration, this….tampering, was far more pervasive than that clumsy attempt. Come. You'll see." 

They dove into the Pensieve, through swirling silver and into a memory Harry thought he knew: Fawkes on his perch, Dumbledore behind his desk, snowflakes drifting down. Tom Riddle—more Voldemort than Tom now—knocked and entered and took a seat. They greeted one another with a semblance of pleasantness, coexisted with the tension following Dumbledore's refusal to use Tom's preferred name, and sipped wine. Their conversation progressed precisely as Harry remembered. Until: 

"Yes," Dumbledore said after a long look at his erstwhile student, "I certainly do know that you have seen and done much since leaving us. Rumors of your doings have reached your old school, Tom. I should be sorry to believe half of them." 

"Are they rumors to you? Are they truly?" 

Harry felt a cold stab of alarm. He didn't remember Tom saying that. 

"I…am afraid I don't know what you mean," Dumbledore said slowly. 

Tom tilted his head. "Oh, don't play the fool, Dumbledore. I know that was you." 

"Know….Tom, you will need to explain yourself. I honestly have no idea what you mean." 

Those eyes narrowed; Harry thought they seemed to redden as their owner studied Dumbledore, searching for any hint of falsehood. Whether or not it was truly present, Tom seemed to settle in with his assumption that the Headmaster was guilty and hid it well. A long moment of silence passed. 

"Why have you come here, Tom?" Dumbledore asked at last. "Let us speak openly." 

From there, the conversation continued more or less as Harry remembered; he listened carefully despite the alarm ringing in his head. It's been changed. Someone changed this. Someone good enough to leave no trace. For there was no sign the memory had been altered in any way, no muting or laughably out-of-place voice booming over top of the actual sound. The new was perfectly integrated with the old. 

The memory ended, and Harry stood on the carpet regarding Dumbledore for a moment. He had removed the other memory from his pocket, but held it in his hand, staring back into the Pensieve. 

"Professor?" 

"Hmm?" 

"Is that…the memory in your hand. Is that the—the way it ought to be? The way you remember it?" 

Dumbledore gave a mirthless smile. "That is quite the choice of words." 

"What do you mean?" 

Dumbledore was quiet a moment longer, still watching the memory play itself out from a distance. "I remember both, Harry," he said softly. 

"Both?" 

"Yes. The conversation I shared with you before, and the one you just witnessed. They're both in my head. Two versions of the same event, two retellings of the same story, one with an infuriatingly cryptic detail." 

"You don't know what Voldemort meant by that—'I know it was you'?" 

"I'm afraid not, Harry. I've considered the matter a dozen times, and I still don't know." 

The fear stabbed him again, cold and sharp and quick, twisting in his gut and sending icy shafts all through his body. Harry had always known, somewhere in his mind, that Dumbledore was not omniscient. That his memory, his mind, his knowledge, could be as fallible and inaccurate as anyone's. But to have it fail on this, on a memory he himself carried—a memory that had clearly been altered with the original left in place—this somehow felt worse than he'd thought it might. 

"So," Harry said after the silence stretched past comfort and then some, "what now?" 

Harry hadn't expected a plan. Not quite. But Dumbledore's words were the opposite of what he'd hoped for. 

"I don't know." 

I approve of seeing more of this universe :ph34r:

10 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

@Darkness Ascendant @bleeder @Delightfully Smoak @The Honor Spren @Slowswift

I should probably move this to someplace more permanent soon….since it feels like poor form to just keep summoning y'all. :P 

Reveal hidden contents

Harry wasn't sure what to expect when he knocked on Dumbledore's office door. The Headmaster's voice granting him entry, of course; but beyond that, he had no expectations. The note he'd received had been cryptic, apparently scribbled in haste, beckoning him to the office for a lesson barely fifteen minutes before it was scheduled to begin. He was still a bit winded from the hurried climb, still a tad resentful toward whoever had decided the Hogwarts Headmaster needed to have all those stairs guarding his office. 

He opened the door and let it frame the scene: Dumbledore, staring into the Pensieve with a deep frown, holding another silvery memory at the tip of his wand. The Headmaster looked up briefly, saw Harry, and dropped the memory into a small glass bottle, which he slipped into his pocket. "Harry. Come here, quickly." 

"What is it, Professor?" Harry closed the distance quickly and followed Dumbledore's gaze into the silver bowl, saw Voldemort approaching this same office, sitting down for a planned conversation as snowflakes drifted down behind the window. "Is that—? 

"The memory I shared with you last night, yes. It is." 

Now Harry shared the Headmaster's frown. "But—I saw this one already." A thought occurred to him. "Did someone change it, like Slughorn did his?" 

"No, not like Slughorn." A faint smile appeared on his lips, vanished just as quickly. "This alteration, this….tampering, was far more pervasive than that clumsy attempt. Come. You'll see." 

They dove into the Pensieve, through swirling silver and into a memory Harry thought he knew: Fawkes on his perch, Dumbledore behind his desk, snowflakes drifting down. Tom Riddle—more Voldemort than Tom now—knocked and entered and took a seat. They greeted one another with a semblance of pleasantness, coexisted with the tension following Dumbledore's refusal to use Tom's preferred name, and sipped wine. Their conversation progressed precisely as Harry remembered. Until: 

"Yes," Dumbledore said after a long look at his erstwhile student, "I certainly do know that you have seen and done much since leaving us. Rumors of your doings have reached your old school, Tom. I should be sorry to believe half of them." 

"Are they rumors to you? Are they truly?" 

Harry felt a cold stab of alarm. He didn't remember Tom saying that. 

"I…am afraid I don't know what you mean," Dumbledore said slowly. 

Tom tilted his head. "Oh, don't play the fool, Dumbledore. I know that was you." 

"Know….Tom, you will need to explain yourself. I honestly have no idea what you mean." 

Those eyes narrowed; Harry thought they seemed to redden as their owner studied Dumbledore, searching for any hint of falsehood. Whether or not it was truly present, Tom seemed to settle in with his assumption that the Headmaster was guilty and hid it well. A long moment of silence passed. 

"Why have you come here, Tom?" Dumbledore asked at last. "Let us speak openly." 

From there, the conversation continued more or less as Harry remembered; he listened carefully despite the alarm ringing in his head. It's been changed. Someone changed this. Someone good enough to leave no trace. For there was no sign the memory had been altered in any way, no muting or laughably out-of-place voice booming over top of the actual sound. The new was perfectly integrated with the old. 

The memory ended, and Harry stood on the carpet regarding Dumbledore for a moment. He had removed the other memory from his pocket, but held it in his hand, staring back into the Pensieve. 

"Professor?" 

"Hmm?" 

"Is that…the memory in your hand. Is that the—the way it ought to be? The way you remember it?" 

Dumbledore gave a mirthless smile. "That is quite the choice of words." 

"What do you mean?" 

Dumbledore was quiet a moment longer, still watching the memory play itself out from a distance. "I remember both, Harry," he said softly. 

"Both?" 

"Yes. The conversation I shared with you before, and the one you just witnessed. They're both in my head. Two versions of the same event, two retellings of the same story, one with an infuriatingly cryptic detail." 

"You don't know what Voldemort meant by that—'I know it was you'?" 

"I'm afraid not, Harry. I've considered the matter a dozen times, and I still don't know." 

The fear stabbed him again, cold and sharp and quick, twisting in his gut and sending icy shafts all through his body. Harry had always known, somewhere in his mind, that Dumbledore was not omniscient. That his memory, his mind, his knowledge, could be as fallible and inaccurate as anyone's. But to have it fail on this, on a memory he himself carried—a memory that had clearly been altered with the original left in place—this somehow felt worse than he'd thought it might. 

"So," Harry said after the silence stretched past comfort and then some, "what now?" 

Harry hadn't expected a plan. Not quite. But Dumbledore's words were the opposite of what he'd hoped for. 

"I don't know." 

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles, can I start getting included on these summonings? Excellent by the way :-)

Edited by Iron Eyes

Just now, Iron Eyes said:

Twi, can I start getting included on these summonings? Excellent by the way :-)

Of course. ^_^ Though like I said, I'll probably look at a more permanent home for this story soon, since it's turning into a Real Story instead of just some random thing I wrote on the fly. 

22 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Of course. ^_^ Though like I said, I'll probably look at a more permanent home for this story soon, since it's turning into a Real Story instead of just some random thing I wrote on the fly. 

Thanks! Well in the interim, keep it up, your writing is quite captivating.

Me: Okay, brain, I know there's little time left but if we focus we could do some revising before the test.
Brain: Yeah, yeah. Hey, remember that loose idea for superhero story?
Me: Not now, brain. We gotta study.
Brain: Right. So, that backstory for the protagonist would be...
Me: Dammit, brain.

3 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Me: Okay, brain, I know there's little time left but if we focus we could do some revising before the test.
Brain: Yeah, yeah. Hey, remember that loose idea for superhero story?
Me: Not now, brain. We gotta study.
Brain: Right. So, that backstory for the protagonist would be...
Me: Dammit, brain.

This. I can relate. :lol: 

8 hours ago, Sunbird said:

I have not heard of Evil Apples. Do tell!

It's basically the same game, albeit sadly without custom decks (though you can use wild cards anytime you want, if you have in-game coins). Very fun, and very NSFW usually.

There are lots of new quotes being born in the SE Discord. These quotes are all from one discussion:

"This is the reason I used fish, and not the homeless."

"I don't wanna be a puppet of God!"

"Those people, trapped in the puppet bodies? They live in a nightmare."

1 minute ago, Straw said:

There are lots of new quotes being born in the SE Discord. These quotes are all from one discussion:

"This is the reason I used fish, and not the homeless."

"I don't wanna be a puppet of God!"

"Those people, trapped in the puppet bodies? They live in a nightmare."

Puppet of God? 

You mean like this?

On 4/25/2017 at 2:44 PM, bleeder said:

I will definitely try to go.

I could cosplay as Renarin :ph34r: Or Elend :ph34r:

Dooo eeeet!

On 4/25/2017 at 2:54 PM, Delightfully Smoak said:

What panels?

On the Sandertrack. Nothing's been assigned specifically, but my name is at the top of the track director's little list.

22 hours ago, A Budgie said:

Oooooh I wish I could go to JordonCon. But hey, Australia.
@Oversleep didn't you see the comment below? I can't see the video right now (youtube is blocked at school) but I'm assuming @Mestiv means he watched Moana, if I'm reading the comment right.

You know, we actually do have regular attendees who come in from Australia. I'm just sayin'.

15 hours ago, AnanasSpren said:

@Kaymyth I'm currently hunting down all the Koroks :'(

Oh, you poor, unfortunate soul. I'm not sure it's possible to find all of them without help.

Though a friend of mine has theorized that if you could just get them all to work together, you wouldn't need the Master Sword or the Divine Beasts to defeat Ganon. You could just have the Koroks mob and smother him to death.

32 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Twi and I actually talked about the possibility of both of us going, we could all hang out. :ph34r:

I've been working in Twi for over a year. A bunch of us being there would be fun. :)  And I think I can trust you guys to behave in the panels. There have been problems in years past when Brandon shows with some of the folks who self-identify as Sharders (though no screen names I recognize; the few I know who regularly attend the con are good folk, and one is a regular panelist) disrupting panels by getting into arguments while sitting in the audience. I would really like to see a bigger showing of more regular Sharders who actually know how to behave in public.

It was interesting this year seeing how many more Shard lurkers recognized my screen name than last; that moderator color really makes me pop out on the "people online" list.

2 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Oh, you poor, unfortunate soul. I'm not sure it's possible to find all of them without help.

Though a friend of mine has theorized that if you could just get them all to work together, you wouldn't need the Master Sword or the Divine Beasts to defeat Ganon. You could just have the Koroks mob and smother him to death.

Storms, 900 little forest sprites throwing odd smelling po- err I mean seeds at Ganon.....

Think of all that power......

Edited by AnanasSpren

2 hours ago, Queen Elsa Steelheart said:

how do i get rid of severe back pain? Anyone know? :unsure:

First of all,ifI the pain is very strong or causes move limitations you go to the doctor. 

Next you take a look at your seat and how you sit in it most of the time. You can have a bad chair that's not giving you proper support or you can unconsciously sit in weird positions. Buy a better chair and pay attention to how you sit. 

Google some simple exercises for back pain. 

Don't wear your backpack on one shoulder. 

Don't lift heavy things with your back bent. 

2 hours ago, Queen Elsa Steelheart said:

how do i get rid of severe back pain? Anyone know? :unsure:

Getting rid of your back works, but it's a bit of a spineless move.

Sorry.

Yeah, posture and wearing heavy things on your back can do it, but if it's truly severe, get to a doctor.

48 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Getting rid of your back works, but it's a bit of a spineless move.

Sorry.

Yeah, posture and wearing heavy things on your back can do it, but if it's truly severe, get to a doctor.

Spineless move HAHAHAHA :lol::lol:

My mum is a doctor so I asked her and she told me to go to a physic, so that's where I'm heading. Never been to one before minus work experience:D

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

First of all,ifI the pain is very strong or causes move limitations you go to the doctor. 

Next you take a look at your seat and how you sit in it most of the time. You can have a bad chair that's not giving you proper support or you can unconsciously sit in weird positions. Buy a better chair and pay attention to how you sit. 

Google some simple exercises for back pain. 

Don't wear your backpack on one shoulder. 

Don't lift heavy things with your back bent. 

The pain is absolutely awful. I can't bend down and when I'm practicing my dancing it feels like I'm being stabbed all over my back and its terrible. My back has been so bad I've been crying in pain.

My chair isn't very supportive. Suppose a new one is in order then.

Edited by Queen Elsa Steelheart