Conspiracy Theory: Helaran is Alive

Jofwu

25 minutes ago, jofwu said:

@Argent asked Brandon in 2014 if Helaran had bonded with a spren. While taken at face value, Brandon's words suggest that he had not. But his initial dance around the question followed by an indirect answer don't rule out the possibility.

I don't think the question was mine - my name probably shows up there because the transcription came from my audio.

If Helaran was a surgebinder, a true Skybreaker, then he should have been able to heal with Stormlight from a stab to the eye, right? 

Unless... a few things:

1. He wasn't bonded to a spren, only lent a dead sprenblade and armor as a test to join the Skybreakers
  2. He wasn't advanced enough to unconsciously use stormlight, like was mentioned in Edgedancer (that's not really a spoiler right?)
  3. The shardplate he was using was interfering with his use of stormlight like Szeth mentions in WoK and he couldn't effectively use it to heal
  4. The shardplate he was using drained his stormlight to heal itself, like the helm when Kaladin used it in the WoR Arena duel

I don't know if it's been mentioned before... but, if he was there for the Skybreakers... maybe he wasn't assassinating Amaram. Maybe he was there to kill Kaladin as a burgeoning surgebinder? 

30 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

If Helaran was a surgebinder, a true Skybreaker, then he should have been able to heal with Stormlight from a stab to the eye, right? 

But surely the whole point that @jofwu was making was that it wasn't Helaran who got stabbed in the eye, therefore Helaran is still alive. Hence this isn't an issue with the theory.

50 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

Just as @BlackYeti says, the theory is the Shardbearer wasn't Helaran.

If Helaran DID have a bond at the time (and somehow managed to wield a dead blade) then presumably being stabbed through the head with a spear would be enough to kill him. Surebinders aren't invincible.

But that's not the theory. The theory is that IF Helaran was bonded to a spren, then it seems very doubtul he can be the man Kaladin killed. It doesn't fit for him to still be carrying around that Blade. And this is supported by further evidence--particularly concerning is connection to the Ghostbloods. The only strong evidence we have to the contrary that the man was actually Helaran is the physical description. But that could very well be a... *ahem*... red hair-ing.

(I'll see myself out.)

Edited by jofwu

There's also at least one other notable case of character "resurrection" elsewhere in the cosmere. So that kinda carries over.

For Helaran, I agree it could be pretty lame. But the fact that he's more minor helps, and it would all boil down to how it's handled. I think it could be done well. It could be used to do some really fun things with Shallan's story, I think. Particularly if they're pitted against one another.

13 minutes ago, jofwu said:

For Helaran, I agree it could be pretty lame. But the fact that he's more minor helps, and it would all boil down to how it's handled. I think it could be done well. It could be used to do some really fun things with Shallan's story, I think. Particularly if they're pitted against one another.

Very true. While it's true that reusing a specific concept can be boring, I don't think it's necessarily the concept which we should be evaluating, but rather, how it affects the story. I agree on your point, having Helaran return would provoke an interesting interaction with Shallan and the Ghostbloods, as well as bring the Skybreakers in to the greater story. 

It's just too much happenstance and/or odd planning on Brandon's/Helaran's part to me to have a random unknown Veden with Helaran's blade be at the battle. It was already a huge coincidence that Kaladin was present and killed the shardbearer of the blade that Helaran displayed to his father. 

Maybe, but I will feel cheated if he didn't actually die. The others I am fine with and see the need for, but Helaran should be dead to provide real conflict between Kaladin and Shallan, not a fake one that will be remedied when Helaran shows up from offstage. It cheapens the narrative between Kaladin and Shallan that is sure to come if he's not dead. 

Is it possible? Sure. We've seen Nale use his fabrial to heal Szeth, so why not make Helaran disappear by showing off his shardblade to his ghostblood father and then have the bearer of that blade "die in combat".

I don't think the bearer of that blade was TRYING to die at Kaladin's hand... they were just over confident as are all newly endowed shardbearers. There is no way they could have known that Kaladin would win that battle... by all rights he should not have won. So, that would have been an odd way to try and fake a death, to be the only shardbearer on a field of battle and expect to be killed? That's seems a stretch to me...

4 hours ago, jofwu said:

It's pretty clear that the Shardbearer Kaladin killed was a Veden man. The stormwarden also suggests that he's not a particularly important figure, though it's hard to draw many conclusions from this.

We also have pretty good reason to believe he is a Ghostblood. Amaram seems pretty certain that the Ghostbloods sent the man to kill him. While it's possible Amaram had some other reason to think this, I think that a simpler explanation makes more sense here: the man probably had a Ghostbloods tatoo.

I don't think Amaram is as smart as he thinks he is. Gavalar also thought he was being assassinated by a ghostblood. I'm not pooh-poohing your whole theory, but don't think we can assume that the shardbearer who tried to kill Amaram was a Ghostblood. We just don't know. Overall your theory is solid.

3 hours ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

Unless... a few things:

1. He wasn't bonded to a spren, only lent a dead sprenblade and armor as a test to join the Skybreakers
  2. He wasn't advanced enough to unconsciously use stormlight, like was mentioned in Edgedancer (that's not really a spoiler right?)
  3. The shardplate he was using was interfering with his use of stormlight like Szeth mentions in WoK and he couldn't effectively use it to heal
  4. The shardplate he was using drained his stormlight to heal itself, like the helm when Kaladin used it in the WoR Arena duel

I don't know if it's been mentioned before... but, if he was there for the Skybreakers... maybe he wasn't assassinating Amaram. Maybe he was there to kill Kaladin as a burgeoning surgebinder? 

He rides straight for Amaram. The Skybreakers would also take issue with the Sons of Honor and Amaram for trying to bring back the Voidbringers intentionally. 

3 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

It's just too much happenstance and/or odd planning on Brandon's/Helaran's part to me to have a random unknown Veden with Helaran's blade be at the battle. It was already a huge coincidence that Kaladin was present and killed the shardbearer of the blade that Helaran displayed to his father. 

Maybe, but I will feel cheated if he didn't actually die. The others I am fine with and see the need for, but Helaran should be dead to provide real conflict between Kaladin and Shallan, not a fake one that will be remedied when Helaran shows up from offstage. It cheapens the narrative between Kaladin and Shallan that is sure to come if he's not dead. 

Is it possible? Sure. We've seen Nale use his fabrial to heal Szeth, so why not make Helaran disappear by showing off his shardblade to his ghostblood father and then have the bearer of that blade "die in combat".

I don't think the bearer of that blade was TRYING to die at Kaladin's hand... they were just over confident as are all newly endowed shardbearers. There is no way they could have known that Kaladin would win that battle... by all rights he should not have won. So, that would have been an odd way to try and fake a death, to be the only shardbearer on a field of battle and expect to be killed? That's seems a stretch to me...

I don't think they were trying to fake Helaran's death. The idea is that Helaran gave away his Shards because he joined the Skybreakers and thus couldn't use them without hearing the screaming. The fact that the person he gave them to got killed by Kaladin is just a coincidence. It actually makes sense that he would give them to a Veden since he is himself Veden, he'd probably give them to a friend after all. I wouldn't say that it's much more unlikely than if it were Helaran that Kaladin killed.

As for the point on cheapening the narrative, that is certainly a real danger here. However I don't think that it necessarily would do so, if the plot line between Shallan and Kaladin is resolved before Helaran returns, for instance, it would then mitigate it to some extent. Also, just because he isn't killed by Kaladin, doesn't necessarily mean that he won't get killed off by some other means.

I think this is pretty plausible. There is certainly room for Helaran to have survived.  At minimum, I think we'll see more about Helaran through the Ghostbloods or through some flashbacks.  I think it would be an interesting twist to see that Helaran was indeed a member of the Ghostbloods, just like his father, which could conceivably have contributed to his conflict with his father, as Helaran could have been more dedicated to the Ghostblood's "actual" cause, while their father seemed like he was only trying to use the Ghostbloods as a means to become more wealthy and influential in Jah Keved.

Overall, a very interesting theory.  Like I said, I believe we'll see more about Helaran, at minimum I'd hope to learn a few hints about where his original shards came from, and whether he was given them by the Ghostbloods or by some other organization.

Edited by Mirdrim

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2016 at 4:24 PM, BlackYeti said:

I don't think they were trying to fake Helaran's death. The idea is that Helaran gave away his Shards because he joined the Skybreakers and thus couldn't use them without hearing the screaming. The fact that the person he gave them to got killed by Kaladin is just a coincidence. It actually makes sense that he would give them to a Veden since he is himself Veden, he'd probably give them to a friend after all. I wouldn't say that it's much more unlikely than if it were Helaran that Kaladin killed.

I dunno. Aside from the fact that the friend also matches a loose description of Helaran, it strikes me as weird that a Veden Shardbearer would sign up to fight in an Alethi border dispute. Is he a soldier for hire? A relative to Amaram's rival? In either case, why wouldn't Amaram have known who he was? A Ghostblood on a mission of assassination has reason to cover his tracks, but I don't know why somebody who was just the lucky recipient of a Shardblade and Shardplate would keep his presence there a secret.

17 hours ago, Harry the Heir said:

I dunno. Aside from the fact that the friend also matches a loose description of Helaran, it strikes me as weird that a Veden Shardbearer would sign up to fight in an Alethi border dispute. Is he a soldier for hire? A relative to Amaram's rival? In either case, why wouldn't Amaram have known who he was? A Ghostblood on a mission of assassination has reason to cover his tracks, but I don't know why somebody who was just the lucky recipient of a Shardblade and Shardplate would keep his presence there a secret.

The point that I was trying to make here was that Helaran didn't give away his Shards as part of a scheme to fake his death: that would have been incredibly stupid, not least because it's generally unknown that he has them.

Regardless, I don't think that what you said necessarily conflicts with what I did. It's quite clear that the Shardbearer wasn't a simple member of the opposing army and that he was targeting Amaram as an assassin, likely due to Amaram's association with the Sons of Honour. Why could this assassin not be connected to Helaran? Helaran is clearly involved in something after all: if he gave them to a friend like I proposed, is it not reasonable to think that the friend might not also be involved in something?

5 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

Regardless, I don't think that what you said necessarily conflicts with what I did. It's quite clear that the Shardbearer wasn't a simple member of the opposing army and that he was targeting Amaram as an assassin, likely due to Amaram's association with the Sons of Honour. Why could this assassin not be connected to Helaran? Helaran is clearly involved in something after all: if he gave them to a friend like I proposed, is it not reasonable to think that the friend might not also be involved in something?

It doesn't necessarily conflict, but the more peculiar things we assume about this friend, the more unlikely it sounds to me. Now Helaran of the Skybreakers gives his Blade and Plate to a friend who, what, just so happens to be a Ghostblood assassin? (Or does Helaran know? Is he putting out a hit on Amaram? What's his motivation for that?) It's just a very messy theory that requires making up a few extra elements to make it work. Djarskublar's theory strikes me as a lot cleaner.

On 1/2/2017 at 0:09 AM, Harry the Heir said:

It doesn't necessarily conflict, but the more peculiar things we assume about this friend, the more unlikely it sounds to me. Now Helaran of the Skybreakers gives his Blade and Plate to a friend who, what, just so happens to be a Ghostblood assassin? (Or does Helaran know? Is he putting out a hit on Amaram? What's his motivation for that?) It's just a very messy theory that requires making up a few extra elements to make it work. Djarskublar's theory strikes me as a lot cleaner.

I'd like to point out that this theory isn't attempting to address what happened with Helaran's blade. There are plenty of simple solutions to that problem.

Maybe he felt the thing was so vile that he just discarded it somewhere and someone else came across it. Maybe he turned it in to whoever gave the thing to him, and they passed it to someone else. Maybe he gave it to a friend--some fellow Veden noble.

I don't pressume to know what happened there, and I don't think there's support for a solution. But I do think there's a lot of wiggle room for an answer.

1 hour ago, jofwu said:

I'd like to point out that this theory isn't attempting to address what happened with Helaran's blade. There are plenty of simple solutions to that problem.

I think the combination of this being another red-headed Veden noble _and_ a Ghostblood assassin prevents any simple solution to this problem, to be honest. If he got it from the Ghostbloods and gave it back, why would they give it to a guy who looked a lot like him? If he gave it to a friend, why did that person turn out to be an assassin for a secret society? There is wiggle room, but not as much as you're saying.

36 minutes ago, Harry the Heir said:

If he got it from the Ghostbloods and gave it back, why would they give it to a guy who looked a lot like him? If he gave it to a friend, why did that person turn out to be an assassin for a secret society?

The Ghostbloods certainly seem to be up to something in Jah Keved. (e.g. Lin Davar, Amaram's suspicions, etc.) Heck, even the Diagramists are apparently getting in on the action. (e.g. Taravangian) The nation is practically crawling with secret societies. And while I don't expect redheads are running around left and right, I get the sense that it's quite normal in Jah Keved.

In any case, I'm offering this theory up specifically as a conspiracy theory-- not as a highly likely scenario. :)

Edited by jofwu

• 2 weeks later...

I was just re-reading the prologue to Words of Radiance and I think I may be coming around on this conspiracy theory, sort of. Or at least the Helaran is still alive piece of it. I was skeptical that there'd be another red-headed Veden running around with secret society connections that we never heard of--but oh ye of little faith, because it turns out that there is "a Veden brute with red speckling his beard" that works for Liss. BS brings him up twice in that chapter, and even tells us his name (Talak).

Liss doesn't necessarily have a rooting interest herself, but she works with Jasnah a lot and Jasnah certainly does. In the prologue she runs into Nalan talking about Szeth and thinks that she needs to look into him further. She also knows that Amaram and Gavilar were up to something right before the assassination. So there's reason to think that she would be investigating both the Sons of Honor and the Skybreakers, and it seems reasonable to conclude that she'd oppose them both. (I don't currently recall if she talks about either of them by name.) So perhaps Jasnah is behind both Helaran seeking out the Skybreakers (because she wants a man on the inside) and the attempted assassination of Amaram (because he's up to some evil crap).

And it just so happens that we know two important things about Liss that she's keeping a secret: (a) she's a woman; and (b) she kills people with a Shardblade. But because it's a very gender-stratified society, perhaps there are times when it makes sense for her to give her Shardblade to a man (be it Helaran or Talak) temporarily, because a male Shardbearer can operate in public but a female Shardbearer would attract unwanted attention. So for example if the Weeper assassinated Amaram, that would draw more attention than if he simply fell in a minor border skirmish. And since there were no other Shardbearers on the field that day and Shardbearers basically never get killed by normal soldiers, it would seem to be a minor risk... until Kaladin screws up the play and Amaram winds up with Liss's Blade.

(So why do in-the-know people think that Helaran is dead? Because he didn't join the Skybreakers under his real name to avoid uncomfortable questions about what his real motivations are and who he's connected to. Talak's death is a useful way to maintain his cover.)

I don't know that I 100% believe this theory that I just came up with, but I'll be checking in Oathbringer for Liss to show up complaining that she doesn't have her Shardblade anymore...

10 hours ago, Harry the Heir said:

But because it's a very gender-stratified society, perhaps there are times when it makes sense for her to give her Shardblade to a man (be it Helaran or Talak) temporarily, because a male Shardbearer can operate in public but a female Shardbearer would attract unwanted attention. So for example if the Weeper assassinated Amaram, that would draw more attention than if he simply fell in a minor border skirmish. And since there were no other Shardbearers on the field that day and Shardbearers basically never get killed by normal soldiers, it would seem to be a minor risk... until Kaladin screws up the play and Amaram winds up with Liss's Blade.

I like many of your points here, and it does seem far from impossible that there might be more Vedens (Vedenar being a country not much smaller than Alethkar) with red hair (a common Veden trait, by all accounts) involved in the many secret societies on Roshar. However, the specific scenario you describe above seems highly unlikely:

In all instances of Shardblade lending seen so far, the Blade remains bonded to the lendER, and may in fact be summoned back by them at any time.  For Amaram to be able to bond the Veden's dropped Blade it would have to no longer be bonded, which would mean it had previously been bonded to the Veden. For that Veden to have been Talak with Liss' Blade, she would have had to completely unbond it and let Talak bond it. This seems like an insane move, regardless of how much she trusted Talak (which likely isn't much anyway, in her line of work).

Even more damning, however, is that Shallan confirms that the Blade in question belonged (at some point after the WoR prologue) to Heleran :-P

The only feasible scenario close to the specific one you proposed is that Heleran became unbonded from his Blade, it ended up with Liss, she gifted it to Talak, then sent him to kill Amaram. While feasible, this is pure speculation, and the general theory (that Heleran was separated from his Blade and it ended up with another Veden sent to kill Amaram) is exactly as stated in the OP.

It is kind of fun that every character thinks it is either A) Ghostbloods or B ) Parshendi behind assassinations.

I have a gut feeling that tells me Helaran is alive, and the point made about the tatoo is a good one. Amaram probably examined the body of the Shardbearer, and if the bearer had the mark it means that he is somehow affiliated with the Ghostbloods, which makes Mraize's comment about Skybreakers wierd. If he does not have the tatoo, then he would not be a Ghostblood. 

There are ways to get around this though. Either, Helaran defected from the Ghostbloods to the Skybreakers, or Amaram just thinks that he is a Ghostbloods-hired assassin, like Tyn.

The Talak theory was kind of good (although the bonding issues mentioned above are a problem) and there must be a reason for Brandon to have the Weeper in the WoR prologue. But otherwise, I do feel that introducing a random twist of "Helaran gave his blade to his redhead BFF who then tried to kill Amaram for unknown reason" is kind of a stretch, although it isn't impossible to pull off.

TL;DR: Gut feeling: Helaran lives, logical feeling: R.I.P Helaran