Sexual Orientation?

soyperson

34 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

@Queen Elsa Steelheart But but but what about "you can't eat just one potato chip"? By that definition Pringles are not very single at all. :P

Exactly. The single Pringle is a creature of great mystery and power. How it has survived we do not know. 

Unless it was crumbled in pieces at the bottom of a forgotten tube but I assume we're talking about whole Pringles here :P

Straight male here. At least I think. I'm nineteen, and I've never had a girlfriend. While that's not really unusual, most people I know are in a relationship or are trying to find someone to be in a relationship with. I have absolutely no desire to be in a relationship, and a lot of people find that weird, but eh. I don't really mind. There have been very brief moments that come to me at random where I want a relationship, but then they're gone as quick as they came.  

14 hours ago, The Young Bard said:

Oh, Claincy, an alternative I've heard to 'grey asexual/aromantic' is 'demisexual/demiromantic'.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that term, :) thanks

17 hours ago, Delightful said:

You can still have intimate friendships! Romance and or sexuality is not the only way to be close to people! 

One of the things I really dislike about media representation, particularly for women but I think all-round, is that people are only super close when they're romantically involved. It's insanely rare for close friends to just be friends. So we have Cap and Bucky but so many people ship them.

Platonically: Jessica Jones and Trish. Zoe and Mal Reynolds. The new ghostbusters. 

Cap and black widow can't be friends without shipping, same with widow and Hawkeye in avengers 1. Ok I'm a marvel geek, what else do I know of? Supernatural. Brothers. People ship them. 

Sherlock and Watson are shipped together. 

Stranger Things, by the end 11 is a love interest - the others are close friends though. 

Heck, people even ship Anna and Elsa. 

Tl;dr, friends can be intimately close without sex getting involved.  I don't believe asexuality should leave you forever lonely. I think media representation is messed up. 

I definitely agree :) The media's obsession with romantic & sexual relationships can be frustrating. Those relationships absolutely have a place there and they are an important part of society, but a slightly more realistic number of strong friendships would be nice.

Personally it's pretty rare that I feel particularly lonely and when I do a little time hanging out with friends fixes it nicely :)

7 minutes ago, Claincy said:

I definitely agree :) The media's obsession with romantic & sexual relationships can be frustrating. Those relationships absolutely have a place there and they are an important part of society, but a slightly more realistic number of strong friendships would be nice.

Personally it's pretty rare that I feel particularly lonely and when I do a little time hanging out with friends fixes it nicely :)

One more aspect to include in the book I'm writing that must be perfect and include all of the things ever. (:rolleyes:)* Strong friendships.

*I'm a perfectionist, what can I do? Except never be perfect. Hard life, huh?

8 hours ago, Queen Elsa Steelheart said:

I'm straight, but I've never had a boyfriend......I'm as single as a pringle :D

But... but... Pringles come in tubes and there's always many of them :o you must feel so lonely without your tube mates... :<

On 24. 9. 2016 at 2:38 PM, The Young Bard said:

Oh, Claincy, an alternative I've heard to 'grey asexual/aromantic' is 'demisexual/demiromantic'.

Um...actually, that term refers to people who feel sexual attraction, only after developing some kind of bond first. They need to get to know the other person first.

In other light, aromantic greysexual here. Still unsure, still researching, still not understanding the whole dating concept.

20 hours ago, Sunbird said:

@Queen Elsa Steelheart But but but what about "you can't eat just one potato chip"? By that definition Pringles are not very single at all. :P

Hahaha! :D This is why I love the shard. 

:D:D:D:D My friend always called single people 'single pringles' and taken people 'double bubbles' :D

7 hours ago, AnanasSpren said:

Heteroflex/bi, but I don't really label it

I try to stick to "bi" but sometimes I just call myself gay so as not to explode people's minds. You have no idea how many times I've seen people look at me with that confused look, scratch their head, and say, "so, you like guys... and girls?!" 

I try not to label, because I start overthinking it.

On 9/26/2016 at 0:35 AM, Tess cont said:

Um...actually, that term refers to people who feel sexual attraction, only after developing some kind of bond first. They need to get to know the other person first.

Oh yeah, thanks :) There's enough terms around that I keep forgetting a lot of them.

Here's a video by Hank Green, one half of the Vlogbrothers (makers of several educational YouTube channels including CrashCourse and SciShow):

The most interesting part for me is near the end, where he talks about the possibility of people changing their sexual orientation and/or sexual behavior over the course of their lifetime, and how some do this relatively frequently in a certain period of time. I think this complexity is obvious, because all this sexual orientation stuff happens in the brain, that immensely dynamic, highly adaptive organ that could be affected by an infinite number of things. As such, I agree with Hank that we really can't tell people to stay in particular sexual orientation boxes, no matter how progressive we think our boxes are.

The few experiences I've had with sexual intimacy (however short-lived) have all been with women. All my crushes (some bordering on obsession) have been women. Even the fictional characters that I've been sexually attracted to (yes, I am that weird) have all been women. However, years of being insulted and ridiculed just because I do not follow certain gender norms in a society that worships macho men has made me very sensitive of how I think about men. I am fairly certain that I am more bisexual than I have ever allowed myself to be, but the operant conditioning given to me by my environment makes me feel extremely uncomfortable with any homosexual thought or feeling, and I usually suppress any conscious ones whenever they arise. That's how my brain works right now, and I don't know if (and how) that will change later on.

Edited by skaa

3 minutes ago, skaa said:

The most interesting part for me is near the end, where he talks about the possibility of people changing their sexual orientation and/or sexual behavior over the course of their lifetime, and how some do this relatively frequently in a certain period of time. I think this complexity is obvious, because all this sexual orientation stuff happens in the brain, that immensely dynamic, and highly adaptive organ that could be affected by an infinite number of things. As such, I agree with Hank that we really can't tell people to stay in particular sexual orientation boxes, no matter how progressive we think our boxes are.

The few experiences I've had with sexual intimacy (however short-lived) have all been with women. All my crushes (some bordering on obsession) have been women. Even the fictional characters that I've been sexually attracted to (yes, I am that weird) have all been women. However, years of being insulted and ridiculed just because I refuse to follow certain gender norms in a society that worships macho men has made me very sensitive of how I think about men. I am fairly certain that I am more bisexual than I have ever allowed myself to be, but the operant conditioning given to me by my environment makes me feel extremely uncomfortable with any homosexual thought or feeling, and I usually suppress any conscious ones whenever they arise. That's how my brain works right now, and I don't know if (and how) that will change later on.

@skaa! You're alive! Yay!

And, I agree with Hank. 

But, skaa, you need to be who you feel you are. And you have a community who loves you. 

We're here if you need to talk, or figure stuff out, or whatever, man. 

Edited by bleeder

On 26/09/2016 at 6:19 AM, AnanasSpren said:

Heteroflex/bi, but I don't really label it

I suspect I know the answer but...what does flex mean in this context?

I'm on super well versed in stuff, but I've never seen that term used before.

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

Heteroflexible - mainly into the opposite gender, somewhat into the same

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

Go find my first post on this thread; that pretty well sums it up.  Especially since I think I'm the first one who started using it here...

On 9/25/2016 at 4:37 PM, Claincy said:

This. So much this. I mean, I'm very close to my siblings, but that doesn't mean that I'm in a romantic relationship with them.

• Chaos locked this topic