Where are the Honorblades?

Stormgate

I'm rereading WoR, and I noticed something:

“We don’t know they will come,” Eshonai said to Resolve. “We don’t know any of this. Who knows if men even have Surgebindings—it might be one of the Honorblades. We left one in Alethkar that night.”

It seems as if the Listeners have the Honorblades, except for Szeth's Blade. They likely use them for growing food, using Progression, but with the arrival of the voidforms, the ramifications are terrifying.

Hm... That's not what I read from that. The Shin have the Honorblades. And the one the Listeners "left" in Alethkar was Szeth's - they threw away his oathstone as they ran away.

Hm... That's not what I read from that. The Shin have the Honorblades. And the one the Listeners "left" in Alethkar was Szeth's - they threw away his oathstone as they ran away.

I cannot agree more. 

I am also in the middle of a reread of WoR currently. 

I read that as they left Szeth in Alethkar with the blade the night they ordered the assassination.

IIRC, seven (7) of the original ten (10) Honorblades were in Shinovar. Szeth had one (now it is most likely in Dalinar's possession though probably unbonded) which means six (6) remain in Shinovar. Taln (the real Herald) has one (1); his own. That leaves two (2) Honorblades unaccounted for - or, at least, I cannot account for them.

Anyone have ideas/knowledge of where the two (2) missing Honorblades are?

Edited by CaptainRyan

There's seven right now as Szeth hasn't been in Shinovar for years. He was present when the number was stated, might have stated it himself. Will have to check. Taln's was never there, obviously. By WOB another herald had reclaimed one.

Definitely in Shinivar. It was a TV chapter, he mentions one of thenother seven HB's has disappeared from there

Yeah, but that was a lie to convince Szeth that he was still Truthless. So as far as we know, Szeth's honorblade is the only one the Shin have lost.

*snip*

By WOB another herald had reclaimed one.

That's right, I had forgotten about that. So, with that knowledge we have...

six   (6) in Shinovar

one (1) with Dalinar                 [szeth's old blade]

one (1) with Taln                      [the actual Herald who was sent back to Braize]

one (1) reclaimed by a Herald [best guess is Nalan but that is not confirmed]

This leaves one (1) blade unaccounted for by my reasoning. Anyone know where it is or can point out what I missed?

No, seven with Shin. Jezrien's Honorblade is in Urithiru now. One Herald reclaimed his own. Talenelat has his own, whoever and wherever he is.

Wait, I thought the Shin originally had seven (7) but that they sent one (1) with Szeth meaning there are currently only six (6) in Shinovar. Did the Shin originally have eight (8) Honorblades?

They originally had all 9 that the Heralds left, then Szeth got one, and Nale (probably) recovered his, leaving them with 7 currently.

Do we have a source for this? I have looked around and only found an ambiguous reference where Brandon says that the Shin have seven (7) Honorblades but he does not specify if that included Szeth's blade.

Coppermind cites WoR chapter 88 when it says "The Shin have seven of the Honorblades (Szeth is in possession of the eighth)", but I don't have my book right now to look more thoroughly. I believe there is also a WoB floating around somewhere that one of the Heralds recovered a blade.

Edit: Aha! http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/4883-new-info-on-honorblades/

Edited by AndrolGenhald

Coppermind cites WoR chapter 88 when it says "The Shin have seven of the Honorblades (Szeth is in possession of the eighth)", but I don't have my book right now to look more thoroughly. I believe there is also a WoB floating around somewhere that one of the Heralds recovered a blade.

I did see that reference and have reread the chapter in question. It is when Nalan revives Szeth.

from page 1063 of the Kindle version of the original WoR:

"My people have the other Honorblades, and have kept them safe for millennia."

To me, that is a pretty flimsy reference to assert that the Shin have/had all nine (9) blades [and then gave one (1) to Szeth and had one (1) "recovered" by a Herald]. I will keep looking for the WoB that I vaguely recall where he stated the Shin have seven (7) blades but does not clarify if that includes Szeth's blade. It is entirely possible that they do have all seven (7) but it would also leave room in the story if there was a missing blade no?

According to this similar topic, Szeth seems to think that the Shin have 7 blades, although he says "Another one of the seven?", which may or may not include his own.

Edit: Really wishing I had my book right now, apparently the quote is actually "One of the other seven in Shinovar?", so that means that 7 blades are in Shinovar, Szeth's is accounted for, so the only 2 we don't know for sure about are Taln's and the one a Herald recovered. If Nale needs his blade to use Stormlight, he is likely the one that recovered a blade, so the only one we don't really know for sure is Taln's.

Edited by AndrolGenhald

@AndrolGenhald - thanks for that link! The quote from WoR is as follows (page 911-912 of the original Kindle edition):

"No, no," Taravangian said. "I have learned this only recently. Yes, it makes sense now. One of the Honorblades has vanished."
Szeth blinked, and he focused on Taravangian, as if returning from a distant place. "One of the other seven?"

[emphasis mine]

So, it looks like I was wrong. Szeth seems to be quite clearly referencing seven (7) Honorblades that are still in Shinovar. Szeth is still carrying another at this point, Taln has his and one (1) was recovered by a herald. Voila! Ten (10) Honorblades accounted for!

Thanks everyone for helping clear that up for me.

• Chaos locked this topic