Oh right. Rowling. I already have forgotten about that.

BTW, I started watching Gravity Falls. I just finished second episode and I think I'll probably watch it all. It's fun.

But are there other cartoons of a more serious tone? Like Avatar or W.I.T.C.H.? I already rewatched Young Justice few months ago. Maybe one day I will give Teen Titans or Samurai Jack a chance. Some other possibilities?

BTW, I started watching Gravity Falls. I just finished second episode and I think I'll probably watch it all. It's fun.

But are there other cartoons of a more serious tone? Like Avatar or W.I.T.C.H.? I already rewatched Young Justice few months ago. Maybe one day I will give Teen Titans or Samurai Jack a chance. Some other possibilities?

It gets more serious as the series goes on, but if you want something more consistently serious, I can't recommend Over the Garden Wall strongly enough.

Aaaannnnd Hades continues to be handed the Villain Ball. Because of course the guy who governs the dead is evil. <_<

And of course Hercules died in a super dramatic and angsty way. He couldn't have died in an embarrassing way, oh no. You know, so much about this episode could be improved if Hercules had made it out like this big serious thing, and then finally confessed that "My death taught me something. Sea lions really are dangerous despite not having any arms or legs."

I still need to start the Dresden books. :mellow:

But yeah, I'm with both of you on Hades. I tend to think most of his bad reputation came from his line of work—which, it should be pointed out, was absolutely necessary and rather thankless. In most of his stories, he's rather fair—strict, but fair. He was faithful to Persephone and wasn't in the habit of sending good people to Punishment for petty reasons—something that, I feel compelled to point out, almost certainly would've happened more often if Zeus or Poseidon had been in charge of the Underworld. 

I mean really, think about the scenario for a moment.

You're Persephone.  Sure, you're a young goddess, but that's only in comparison to everybody else.  You're freakin' eternal, man, and yet your mother is a super-clingy type who wants to keep you in pigtails for at least the next millennium.

And then one day you meet Hades.  He's tall, dark, handsome, and has that whole Underworld dark lord thing going for him.  Hell yes he is hot.  So you run off with him.

And Demeter blows a rusting gasket.

You realize that while you thought maybe Mum would get used to it, she's not half as mature as you are and can't handle it.  The world is going to suffer, and it's going to suffer hard unless you suck it up and play little girl again.  But...you're in luuuurve.  This won't do.  So you eat the pomegranate seeds as a ploy to live your life in both worlds, and it pays off.

Except Mum's still righteously pissed and tells her version of the story to everyone, and it's not like the humans are going to argue with the goddess who makes their fields grow.  So you get your half-year with your husband, but now everyone thinks he's a jerk.

I can't tell which spoilers are actual spoilers, and which are just talking about greek gods or hiding videos. It's kind of fun guessing. I've read most of the spoilers, and I don't think the conversation about hades, starting from this spoiler, needs to be spoilered. You're no longer discussing Once upon a Time, you're discussing Hades.

On that Note, Hades was freaking amazing. I've read a great deal of the original mythology, and I agree with you guys that he gets a bad rap for no good reason. And I'm so glad there are other Dresden Fans on this site @Kaymyth.

Yep.  Dresden Files fan.  Amusingly enough, he lives in my metro area, and yet I've only ever seen him at Dragon*Con.

I mean really, think about the scenario for a moment.

You're Persephone. Sure, you're a young goddess, but that's only in comparison to everybody else. You're freakin' eternal, man, and yet your mother is a super-clingy type who wants to keep you in pigtails for at least the next millennium.

And then one day you meet Hades. He's tall, dark, handsome, and has that whole Underworld dark lord thing going for him. Hell yes he is hot. So you run off with him.

And Demeter blows a rusting gasket.

You realize that while you thought maybe Mum would get used to it, she's not half as mature as you are and can't handle it. The world is going to suffer, and it's going to suffer hard unless you suck it up and play little girl again. But...you're in luuuurve. This won't do. So you eat the pomegranate seeds as a ploy to live your life in both worlds, and it pays off.

Except Mum's still righteously pissed and tells her version of the story to everyone, and it's not like the humans are going to argue with the goddess who makes their fields grow. So you get your half-year with your husband, but now everyone thinks he's a jerk.

Yep. Dresden Files fan. Amusingly enough, he lives in my metro area, and yet I've only ever seen him at Dragon*Con.

I'm TwiLyghtSansSparkles and I approve this interpretation of the Persephone story. :ph34r:

I highly recommend Avatar. It has just the right balance between silly and serious and it deals with some pretty heavy topics for a kids' show.

Plus, the worldbuilding is on par with anything Brandon has written, IMO. The world is detailed and vibrant and feels real, but it doesn't hog the spotlight.

The characters...well I could just go on and on about them.

Basically, everyone should do themselves a favor and watch it at least once.

Edited by Pinnacle-Ferring

RWBY! It's serious with somewhat silly characters, but said charaters are also pretty badchull and seriously awesome. (pun intended).

I just finished season 1 of Gravity Falls and it is great. It does get darker, and I'm a little nervous for what Season 2 has in store. I'd stick with it a little longer.

Also, if you aren't particular about it being cartoon, I'm really enjoying The 100. Its not exactly magic, its post-apocalyptic sci-fi about people trying to reinhabit a nuclear earth.  

I have a confession to make. I haven't deliberately sat down to watch a cartoon/anime/animated in about a dozen years or so. I've had Fullmetal Alchemist recommended to me by multiple friends, and my response has been "I intend to watch it when I get time." 

RWBY! It's serious with somewhat silly characters, but said charaters are also pretty badchull and seriously awesome. (pun intended).

I just finished season 1 of Gravity Falls and it is great. It does get darker, and I'm a little nervous for what Season 2 has in store. I'd stick with it a little longer.

Also, if you aren't particular about it being cartoon, I'm really enjoying The 100. Its not exactly magic, its post-apocalyptic sci-fi about people trying to reinhabit a nuclear earth.  

<Seconds RWBY suggestion.

I considered naming our first child after the main character of it. Unfortunately Mrs. Voidus' family own a dog called Ruby so that would be awkward.  :unsure:

<Seconds RWBY suggestion.

I considered naming our first child after the main character of it. Unfortunately Mrs. Voidus' family own a dog called Ruby so that would be awkward.  :unsure:

At one point my friend's sister, and a different friend's dog, shared a name. It was kinda weird.

But are there other cartoons of a more serious tone? Like Avatar or W.I.T.C.H.? (...) Some other possibilities?

I highly recommend Avatar.

Um... yeah :P

On another note, I could use bendalloyminds. All that eating...

Edited by Oversleep