Am I the only one whose French teacher showed this in class all the time? :mellow:

Oh, you cityborn kids and your fancy French teachers.  When I was in high school, all we got was Spanish, and we had to like it.

(Seriously, I would have much rather taken Italian.  Still bitter about the small town education.)

Maybe it's just early, maybe I'm just a terrible person, but I am really annoyed that I had to give up my aisle seat so some girl could sit with her stupid boyfriend. <_<

Was that just a case of you being a nice person or did they actually reserve those seats?

Was that just a case of you being a nice person or did they actually reserve those seats?

They didn't reserve them. The aisle seat was mine, but they asked nicely, I didn't feel like arguing, and I was kind of trapped by societal convention (with the rest of my end of the plane watching and all). I hope they appreciate what I sacrificed so they can snuggle all the way to Denver. :rolleyes:

IT IS TOO EARLY TO BE SMOOPY. AT LEAST WAIT UNTIL WE TAKE OFF TO START CUDDLING.

They didn't reserve them. The aisle seat was mine, but they asked nicely, I didn't feel like arguing, and I was kind of trapped by societal convention (with the rest of my end of the plane watching and all). I hope they appreciate what I sacrificed so they can snuggle all the way to Denver. :rolleyes:

IT IS TOO EARLY TO BE SMOOPY. AT LEAST WAIT UNTIL WE TAKE OFF TO START CUDDLING.

Oh yeah, feel free to be annoyed all you want then but rest easy in the knowledge that you are a wonderful kindhearted person.

I like to think I'm nice but if that was me I'd just tell them to plan better next time and actually book adjacent seats rather than annoying other people.  <_<

According to Buzzfeed, MACUSA moved from Washington to New York because the Sasquatches decided they felt rebellious in 1892.

What

What even is this

How could they have been headquartered in Washington prior to that

Washington didn't even become a state until 1889

Does

Does Rowling not realize there are two Washingtons

What is this I don't even

Question: what are these excerpts me a t to be?

In-universe historians looking back? A series bible?

Maybe it's just being used for shorthand? "They left the place which would later be called Washington," or something?

Maybe it's just being used for shorthand? "They left the place which would later be called Washington," or something?

No earthly idea. So far as I can tell, they're worldbuilding notes for the Fantastic Beasts movie. They're presented like the other supplementary material on Pottermore (a site I'm growing to dislike) so I'm assuming that's how they're meant to be taken.

And it's just making me wonder if she did any research at all.

Edit: I think i should add that I really did want Rowling to succeed with this. I wanted her to give America that same magic, that touch of wonder, she gave Britain.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

See, when the US was founded, the area now known was Washington state was basically wilderness that no European had even seen yet.

Washington DC (the nation's capitol) is on the opposite side of the country from the state.  They are literally over 2,000 miles apart. 

See, when the US was founded, the area now known was Washington state was basically wilderness that no European had even seen yet.

Washington DC (the nation's capitol) is on the opposite side of the country from the state.  They are literally over 2,000 miles apart.

Ah, okay.

I have to be honest, I'm fairly ignorant about this stuff myself. The difference between me and Rowling is that I'm not using this as the crux of a new installment in my globally-famous fantasy series.

No earthly idea. So far as I can tell, they're worldbuilding notes for the Fantastic Beasts movie. They're presented like the other supplementary material on Pottermore (a site I'm growing to dislike) so I'm assuming that's how they're meant to be taken.

Edit: I think i should add that I really did want Rowling to succeed with this. I wanted her to give America that same magic, that touch of wonder, she gave Britain.

Personally -as I've said before- I'm curious how much studio input is involved in these notes. Wizard!America sounds kinda...

Well, bland. And I wonder just how much of that is Rowling failing to research/not caring, and how much might be the studio trying to create a "safe" image of magic!America for their stuff.

(Particularly considering the conversations mentioned earlier in this thread about compering American cultural identities and stuff)

Ah, okay.

I have to be honest, I'm fairly ignorant about this stuff myself. The difference between me and Rowling is that I'm not using this as the crux of a new installment in my globally-famous fantasy series.

Personally -as I've said before- I'm curious how much studio input is involved in these notes. Wizard!America sounds kinda...

Well, bland. And I wonder just how much of that is Rowling failing to research/not caring, and how much might be the studio trying to create a "safe" image of magic!America for their stuff.

(Particularly considering the conversations mentioned earlier in this thread about compering American cultural identities and stuff)

You're also asking questions as opposed to just diving in. Really, if she'd called up a few Americans and asked to pick their brains on magical America, or even just about some urban legends and history she could incorporate, they would've said yes. We love talking about ourselves. :P

I have watched and waited, but lo I cannot further hold my tongue!

What exactly *is* a Sasquatch?

Short answer: Nobody is totally sure, but we know it's a tall, apelike creature native to Washington and Oregon, though not unknown in California.

Longer answer: Also known as Bigfoot, a Sasquatch is a species of cryptid found in the Pacific Northwest. A tall apelike creature that walks on two legs, the Sasquatch has been sighted frequently but all photographs are controversial. When it is sighted, this creature is usually watching a visitor to its forest home, and disappears before conclusive evidence toward its existence can be gathered.

There are many stories about the Sasquatch, but most people who have seen one agree that they are generally peaceful creatures that mean humans no harm.

Maybe it's a history textbook that was written by a British professor that has never been to Magical America?

Maybe it's a history textbook that was written by a British professor that has never been to Magical America?

That's the explanation I'm going with.

Like a yeti but not in the snow?

And no like documentary maker has ever gone to find one? That's so interesting.

Well, the thing about Bigfoot is that it's an urban legend. So there's a finite number of people who take it seriously, and others remain skeptical. A lot of filmmakers have gone in search of this creature, but none of them have been able to gather conclusive footage. I personally believe that the Sasquatch doesn't want to be found.