Theory about Denth and Tonk Fah

afeastforgeorge

Warbreaker was after Sazed's ascension as all the original Cosmere books were published in Cosmere wide chronological order. That said, we don't know exactly how long and the 5 scholars were around for something like 300 years before the events in Warbreaker. Plenty of time to worldhop and/or develop new powers with your existing investiture. 

There is a best we can Chronology on the Coppermind, and there was this thread about it a few years ago and a more recent one here, with a little more clarification here

Maybe Lightsong couldn't move fast because he didn't think he should be able to, Intent plays a large part in how Returned appear, why now how fast they are? 

If I were a Returned, depended upon 1 breath and/or some other investiture per week to survive, I'd be wary of going to a planet where all the natural investiture is in people itself  without a vast store of breaths...

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

There is the mist, I dont know how Denth would be able to draw on the mists, but it there is investiture floating around that he could use, in theory.

Ok, crack theory time

Chaos

A lerasium Mistborn's kids would surely be Allomancers. If such a lerasium Mistborn traveled to, say, Nalthis, fell in love and had kids with a native Nalthisean, would those kids be Allomancers? Or something else?

Brandon Sanderson

In most cases, they would still be Allomancers. Mixed, potentially, with something else depending on the native innate investiture. That mixture could do some strange things, though.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27innate%20investiture%27

My theory is as follows: A Nalthesian allomancers breath contains their ability to burn metals. So Denth actually had two breaths, one from a nalthesian steelrunner.

We know there is a Terriswoman on Nalthis.

Yeah, Im grasping at straws here.

I'm moving this to Cosmere theories, as it directly deals with multiple series. Please mark any thread that contains spoilers from non-Warbreaker books in the Warbreaker forum!

Here's the example of our probable-Herald Taln also displaying super-speed, as it seems relevant:

The Herald’s hand snapped up in front of him.

Amaram started, freezing in place, as he saw something in the Herald’s fingers. A small dart, the tip dripping with some clear liquid.

Amaram glanced at the opening, which spilled sunlight into the room. A small figure there made a puffing sound, a blowgun held to lips beneath a half mask that covered the upper face.

The Herald’s other hand shot out, quick as an eyeblink, and snatched the dart from the air mere inches from Amaram’s face. The Ghostbloods. They weren’t trying to kill the Herald.

Properly trained humans are capable of snatching projectiles from the air (maybe not high-speed, but still), so I guess somebody with battle experience and so on of few thousand years can do that with a dart. It's more of higher human capability than Steelrunner speedstering.

You've made some good points, but I don't think the Denth side of the theory holds much weight. Even if he could/did go to Scadrial, and found a means of surviving (giant store of Breath/somehow gaining access to mist), Warbreaker doesn't say Denth also spent time loafing around, indicating he isn't a feruchemist, and I don't recall any subtle hints of him ingesting liquids, meaning if he is an allomancer Brandon does not want us figuring it out as he left us zero clues other than this one instance of Denth moving wicked fast.

Personally, I don't think there's anything supernatural about Denth's speed. He is the greatest swordsman to walk to face of Nalthis during the time of the book, he'd naturally be really quick. Though I agree that it seems oddly too quick, it's not so far out of the realm of possibility that a metallic art is needed to explain it.

As for Tonk Fah, I'd say you've made some very solid points. I don't recall if Vivenna ever noted him having more than one Breath, but I do find the implications of your theory to be interesting. Say he is Scadrian, as I don't recall a way for anyone without Terris blood to be a feruchemist, and Ruin wouldn't have been able to mess with any hemalurgic practitioners on Nalthis even if he was still alive, then that means that large stores of Breath would not reveal magic users of other systems. This would mean that Breath doesn't grant investiture sense, and would beg the question of why Vasher could sense Syl (perhaps it is just life-sense after all).

Edited by Blaze1616

Tonk Fah  became a Drab to catch Vivenna. To became a true Drab and be invisible to the Life-Sense. You must be a Nalthian without any Breath. Humans from other Shardworld have more Investiture than a Nalthis's Drab. This alone may prove that Ton Fah was born on Nalthis.

About Denth, He was surely the best Swordman on Nalthis (after the Astrael's death) but he was also a Returned and his body (as Vasher's) was some degree of superhuman ability (there is a WoB or Warbreaker Annotation about) also while he suppressed the Divine Breath.

I really like the theory. But I think Denths speed can be explained by the returned being able to morph their bodies. So, say, if he wanted to be faster, grow more fast twitch muscle tendons, which would allow you to react much, much faster.

As for Tonk-Fah, your evidence is pretty damnation solid. Maybe Denth took him to Scadrial after he went and discovered you can steal abilities with a simple spike through the right place in the body. I mean, like you said, Denth is an expert on Investiture. I see no reason why he couldnt have discovered world-hopping during the Manywar.

All in all, I really like this theory. Hopefully Brandon does expand upon it, since Tonk-Fah did survive and escaped (Vasher thinks) to Pahn-Kahl, with Jewels and Clod (Arsteel). Cannot wait for the sequal.

All in all, I really like this theory. Hopefully Brandon does expand upon it, since Tonk-Fah did survive and escaped (Vasher thinks) to Pahn-Kahl, with Jewels and Clod (Arsteel). Cannot wait for the sequal.

You have to wait very long before Nightblood :(

Anyway to me the the Theory isn't solid at all, for example:

- At the time of Warbreaker, Harmony was already born and there is nothing like Sociopatic Shard to push a Spiked-One

- The "trasformation" is just the fact that Vivenna understand how bad she judged the mercenary from his jokes (the same thing that happen to other Sanderson's character in other stories).

Elantris Spoiler:

As the Serene's uncle as a fearsome warrior, both of them shared a big (fat) body, but when the idiocity come away. We can see how it "isn't only fat".

- A simple Spiked-One hasn't need of the "Inquisitor's deep sleep", that is a thing of that kind of Hemalurgic Construct only . We saw many many Spiked-One (two of them was main characters) and they never show something like that.

Edited by Yata

You have to wait very long before Nightblood :(

Anyway to me the the Theory isn't solid at all, for example:

- At the time of Warbreaker, Harmony was already born and there is nothing like Sociopatic Shard to push a Spiked-One

- The "trasformation" is just the fact that Vivenna understand how bad she judged the mercenary from his jokes (the same thing that happen to other Sanderson's character in other stories).

Oh dont get me wrong Yata ( by the way, your english has improved alot. Good job man). Dont confuse me LIKING the theory as me thinking its right. I just think it'd be awesome if Tonk-Fah was just a sociopath who got a spike.(I dont know if having a spike would make you a crazy killer or not. Since Ruin is paired with Preservation and Ati is dead, and he was the one corrupting those with spikes, I'd assume,currently, that thts not the case anymore) I doubt, since I've read above that Warbreaker runs concurrently with Mistborn era 1, that Ruin (Ati) could speak into a spiked persons mind on a different shardworld. So yeah, I dont think Ruin is currently effecting Tonk-Fah or Denth on Nalthis, since Endowment is there. And who knows if Ruins effects can last without him actively corrupting them (meaning they would have to be on Scadrial for a while for Ruin to corrupt them). I mean Vin wasnt corrupted by Ruin, and she had a spike (earing) in A LOT. So maybe Denth spent a good amount of time on Scadrial learning about Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy. Maybe he became obessed with Hemalurgy, giving Ruin the time and the means to corrupt him.

In conclusion, do I like this theory? Yes. Do I think its a possible plotline for Warbreaker (or other novels) sequal? Highly unlikely. Still cool as hell though.

Ninja out!

I love this theory but I have 2 problems with it, and then a few possibilities

Wouldn't the metal arts not work if there wasn't any of Preservations/Ruins power there? I think it might still, but I am not certain. I don't think its tied to the planet unlike Elantrians.

Why would Vasher only return with one hemalurgic spike, unless he feared harmony/ruin? He seems like a very ambitious character, and I doubt e would travel to another world to only return with one other power.

Now my possibilities-

Vasher, also a returned, could not (to my knowledge) move as quickly as Denth, although a quick read through of their fights might be nessasary to be certain. Does that mean that Denth has some other investiture? Any trick with compounding muscles and being able to change your body would have been discovered already by Vasher, so that eliminates that.

Could Denth (and Tonk Fa) Have come from Roshar? Then been returned and still have their powers? Its a crackpot theory but its possible. 

The problem with this is there is no evidence except that we know returned can world hop somehow, with the Vasher-Zahel connection. I guess we'll just have to wait till Nightblood!

Wouldn't the metal arts not work if there wasn't any of Preservations/Ruins power there? I think it might still, but I am not certain. I don't think its tied to the planet unlike Elantrians.

Hoid appears to drink metal flakes in a Shallan flashback, which many have taken as evidence that he has allomancy and that it can be used off of Scadrial. I think there are also a few WoB about it being possible.

Could Denth (and Tonk Fa) Have come from Roshar? Then been returned and still have their powers? Its a crackpot theory but its possible. 

There's a WoB that it is very difficult for someone not born on Nalthis to Return. It is also nearly impossible for someone without a Breath to Return, but anyone with money can just buy one of those, or I guess take one by forcing the bearer to give it to you.

Hoid appears to drink metal flakes in a Shallan flashback, which many have taken as evidence that he has allomancy and that it can be used off of Scadrial. I think there are also a few WoB about it being possible.

Yeah I wasnt sure if, say, Denth and Tonk-Fah were spiked, would Ruin be able to effect them on another Invested Shardworld? But thinking about Bleeder being driven to obey whatever intent/mandate from whatever god-metal she was spiked with, makes me think he could have effected Denth & Tonk-Fah for sure on Nalthis.If they got their spikes from Scadrial tht is. But maybe they are from another Shardworld, such as Roshar, like Supernile said. I mean Brandon did say that its highly unlikely tht someone from another Shardworld could return. But highly unlikely doesnt mean impossible.

So maybe Denth is the possibilty manifested. I doubt it since he was one of the 5 Scholars (it was 5, right?) and him & his SISTER were friends with Vasher from who knows when. Probably for a long, long time before the Manywar. And he makes no insinuations about Denth or his sister being from anywhere bit Nalthis. But man it would be awesome to have a novella about Denth and his sister world hopping somehow. Finding Nalthis. Learning about Breath. Obtaining breath. And then they both die doing something insanely heroic. And are BOTH Returned. Then the book ends when they meet Vasher as Returned.

I would not hate that book at all.

-Yodel

Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading Warbreaker again -

I am convinced that Denth is a worldhopper

and on that note

VaraTreledees sounds an awful lot like Trell - just sayin

oh and on page 115 he is tall and spindly - Terris or Kandra worldhopper anyone ?

Edited by ARARITA

This is an interesting theory.

Your evidence is quite strong in fact.

Denth is dead, though... Maybe a living associate of his still has metallic powers? At the end of warbreaker, vasher references another of the five scholars.

Would certainly be interesting, though most of this is guesswork.

I want to point out:

You don't need either character to be under "Ruin's influence." 

Being spiked can be cause enough.  Particularly if you look at attribute spikes (like those that make koloss and kandra), they seem to have a very high capacity for distorting personalities on their own.  This does the trick for Tonk Fah.

Maybe they have very weak feruchemic spikes, so Denth is probably pretty darn fast on his own, but can also tap just a wee bit to go into the superhuman, but storing is very hard.

Personally, though, I think Denth's secret is that he imagines himself as having supernatural speed, and his Divine Breath complies to that self-image.

• Tonk Fah cracked his knuckles. Vivenna glanced at him, suddenly noticing that Tonk Fah seemed more...dangerous. The idle, overweight man who liked to nap had vanished. In his place was a thug with sleeves rolled up, showing off muscles that bulged impressively. ...
    • Then later: "Aw, did you have to let him go so fast?" Tonk Fah said, sitting down on the floor, looking morose. Whatever he'd done to look dangerous was gone, evaporating faster than water on metal in the sun.

I don't think there's anything supernatural here. Just changes in posture and body language. If he had actually changed size/muscle it would have been much more noticeable.

Edited by Baine

Well also... If tonk fah actually does turn out to be a returned, then most of the time he walks around looking like a normal human. If a bit of the perfect physique of a returned bled through, he would suddenly look more imposing.

Still, it would be interesting if they actually had a metallic power.

• 5 months later...

I realize this posting was quite a while ago, but figured I would note that Vasher now uses stormlight in place of breaths to keep himself alive. So as far being possible for returned like deneth to use breaths to fuel allomancy, personally I don't find that to be too far-fetched of an idea. Just my 2 cents at least.

Another thing to consider is that there is still a lot about breaths and awakening that we do not know. Vasher does some sort of weird mind wipe trick. Maybe denth and arsteel knew some ways to enhance physical attributes

On 7/17/2016 at 2:19 PM, Gremorys said:

So as far being possible for returned like deneth to use breaths to fuel allomancy, personally I don't find that to be too far-fetched of an idea

Considering that the metal/alloy determines the effect it might as well be a different magic system at that point.