Having a Bad Day?: Get 'yer Hugs here!!

10 minutes ago, Delightful said:

What happened? I'm vaguely aware that there was shooting and tragedy but I haven't seen details reported anywhere. 

:(

There was a peaceful protest in Dallas, TX over police shootings of black men in Minneapolis MN and Baton Rouge LA. Snipers opened fire on police officers. Five were killed, seven injured. 

One of my friends (let's call her Eva) just had surgery to get a tumor removed. When I first heard that she was going to get surgery, I wasn't too worried. Something similar had happened to Eva's mom and though her mom can only hear in one ear because of that, Eva's tumor was on one of her salivary glands, not her eardrum. She said the only problem would be that she'd have a dryer mouth. 

But the tumor wasn't benign like we thought. It turned out to be malignant. Eva might need chemotherapy. 

I'm really scared for her.

5 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

One of my friends (let's call her Eva) just had surgery to get a tumor removed. When I first heard that she was going to get surgery, I wasn't too worried. Something similar had happened to Eva's mom and though her mom can only hear in one ear because of that, Eva's tumor was on one of her salivary glands, not her eardrum. She said the only problem would be that she'd have a dryer mouth. 

But the tumor wasn't benign like we thought. It turned out to be malignant. Eva might need chemotherapy. 

I'm really scared for her.

That's awful! :( Have they said anything about the chemo itself--how long it will take, etc?

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

That's awful! :( Have they said anything about the chemo itself--how long it will take, etc?

I don't know very much about it. I haven't had a chance to talk to her; she hasn't come home from Tampa yet. I just hope so badly that chemo isn't necessary. :(

Yesterday and today, there was the NATO summit in Warsaw. President Obama had some harsh words to say about Polish democracy after last elections :/ The Law and Justice party is demolishing democracy in Poland, overtaking all institutions and public media :( And now what do they do, when Obama says something that may be considered negative? They manipulate the footage of his speech :o That's just like from before '89 when the government used to censor all the media etc... I'm so sad for what's happening to Poland :(

Even Washington Post noticed what they've done in out national TV: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/09/obama-slammed-polish-democracy-on-friday-heres-how-polish-tv-proved-him-right/?tid=sm_tw

9 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Yesterday and today, there was the NATO summit in Warsaw. President Obama had some harsh words to say about Polish democracy after last elections :/ The Law and Justice party is demolishing democracy in Poland, overtaking all institutions and public media :( And now what do they do, when Obama says something that may be considered negative? They manipulate the footage of his speech :o That's just like from before '89 when the government used to censor all the media etc... I'm so sad for what's happening to Poland :(

Even Washington Post noticed what they've done in out national TV: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/09/obama-slammed-polish-democracy-on-friday-heres-how-polish-tv-proved-him-right/?tid=sm_tw

Well, that's fairly terrifying. :wacko:

Luckily, we still have private media and the Internet... but what's worse, the Law and Justice party still has a lot of social support, because they launched a program called 500+, where they give families with at least 2 kids 500 PLN for the second and next kids (like 2000 PLN is there are 5 kids in the family). No matter that it launches our national debt into space, that we simply cannot afford a social support like that... They're just buying people support using the money that will be taken away from their kids because of the debt... That's just evil. How can society be so stupid to support them, when they're just giving away money that future generations will have to pay back... Something similar (huge national debt) happened in Greece before and we've seen what happened to Greece :/

4 hours ago, Mestiv said:

Luckily, we still have private media and the Internet... but what's worse, the Law and Justice party still has a lot of social support, because they launched a program called 500+, where they give families with at least 2 kids 500 PLN for the second and next kids (like 2000 PLN is there are 5 kids in the family). No matter that it launches our national debt into space, that we simply cannot afford a social support like that... They're just buying people support using the money that will be taken away from their kids because of the debt... That's just evil. How can society be so stupid to support them, when they're just giving away money that future generations will have to pay back... Something similar (huge national debt) happened in Greece before and we've seen what happened to Greece :/

How much is 500 PLN worth?

1 minute ago, Pestis the Spider said:

Yeah, it is. You can already hear the talk about some pathological parents with lots of children quitting the jobs, because now they have lots of extra money for drinking without any job...

"There is no way this can possibly go wrong." —the Law and Justice Party, probably 

31 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

"There is no way this can possibly go wrong." —the Law and Justice Party, probably 

Looking at what they do, I read it as a gamble - either we experience a population growth and it pays off in the future, somehow managing to generate enough income to get the country prospering... or we all plummet to financial blackhole.

Probably the latter.

5 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Looking at what they do, I read it as a gamble - either we experience a population growth and it pays off in the future, somehow managing to generate enough income to get the country prospering... or we all plummet to financial blackhole.

Probably the latter.

Yeah, I've heard that there are no demographic effects. Hardly to expect any, if you can hear everyone saying that there is not money to continue this program for coming years... Anyway, PiS (Law and Justice) is just soo bad for Poland :/ 

53 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Yeah, I've heard that there are no demographic effects. Hardly to expect any, if you can hear everyone saying that there is not money to continue this program for coming years... Anyway, PiS (Law and Justice) is just soo bad for Poland :/ 

PiS is bad, PO is bad and so on. They're all bad.

1 minute ago, Mestiv said:

With PO we were at least more or less liked and respected in Europe... Now I feel like we're losing friends :/ 

I actually feel like we're getting further apart from western Europe, so I kinda agree. But I am just cynical and so I don't like any of the parties. 

Bruce's face wrinkles are infected. It's a fairly common thing for pugs, but I haven't been able to get it cleared up through keeping his wrinkles clean and peroxide (which worked with Bruno and Mollie) so I'm taking him to the vet on Sunday. On top of that, he seems to have a small inflammation in his paws. It's not causing him to limp, just to chew on one of them (which incidentally led to me noticing it) and I'm going to call the vet tomorrow as soon as they open and ask that they take a look at that issue too. But I feel bad for the little guy. And….I don't know, I feel like I should've known what to do to prevent this sort of thing. It was never a problem Bruno or Mollie had, but still. :(