What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

On 8/19/2020 at 6:23 AM, Orlion the Platypus said:

Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts! (Instead of AtLAB, mwahaha).

I'm also finally getting around to watching the Mandalorian 

Kipo is great! Prepare to have songs stuck in your head. :)

I’ve been watching The Owl House. Not all the episodes are out yet, but I’m loving it so far. Amity is so good! Definitely ship Lumity at this point. Oh, and King is adorable, of course.

31 minutes ago, JesterLavorre said:

Kipo is great! Prepare to have songs stuck in your head. :)

I’ve been watching The Owl House. Not all the episodes are out yet, but I’m loving it so far. Amity is so good! Definitely ship Lumity at this point. Oh, and King is adorable, of course.

I've been hearing some good things about The Owl House. I'll have to check it out! 

I just finished Avatar: The Last Airbender.

This is both the first and the second time I watch it. As a kid I watched most of it on tv but the channel never aired the ending and instead just restarted over and over, they're known for doing that. Then, of course I didn't always watch daily and presumably they didn't always air the episodes in order. Couple that with the fact that it's been over 10 years and it's like I'm watching it for the first time. It's weird, I recognized almost every single scene but I was also discovering the story as it went on.

Anyway, it was really good. The episodic format is not my favorite but it works. It has its good and bad things but it's really solid, and just Zuko's arc would justify watching the entire thing. The coreographies were amazing. I always find it off-putting when a show puts a psyhcedelic backgound with the character making a strike pose and treat it like some amazing move. How do they make action-focused series if the action part look like static posters? So that works great here, it highlights the strengths and weaknesses of each style.

Now, I guess I'm gonna get into spoiler territory so

Spoiler

First, I loved the thing, but I have a note on the scale of the story. It felt weird that the bigger the battle, the smaller the force the heroes had. During the siege of the north tribe they had basically an entire army of waterbenders. During the invasion, there were like 30 people being generous and a lot of them without combat experience. And then the final battle was resolved with 11 people, a bisont and a lizard. It just felt a little strange, considering we're supposed to be seeing a full-scale war.

Not gonna lie. If there was a thing I didn't remember at all it was the Fire Lord, his face, what he was like, all of that stuff, so I was really excited to see him, since they talk about him as this almost mystic entity during the early part of the series. Then when he finally shows up, he seemed to me like the one truly and severely generic character in the show. Not like, hey, let's give this guy a trope and then develop him out of it, no, he was introduced as a generic power-seeking tyrant and he was defeated a generic power-seeking tyrant.

Then we had Azula. A main villain, but not as important as her father obviously. But she's way more interesting. She's likeable, but also merciless and I'm sure easy to hate for many. She's mostly evil and manipulative but, just from time to time, we get to see a softer side of hers. We see that she cares about the people close to her but that she has the wrong idea on how to keep them close. We see her being left behind by the people she loves when she stubbornly stands by the ideals of the one person she's trying to please. She goes through a beautiful and terrifying descent to madness leading to her downfall that parallels Zuko's redemption. By the time I was on the final two episodes, I was just thinking how Aang could handle the other guy, I knew he'd win, so I was just so much more invested in this other fight. She's really one of the best villains I've ever seen, and they didn't even bother telling us what was of her (I heard there's a comic though, I'll be sure to check that out).

But apart from the main villain, I think most characters had great development and they were all given a chance to shine. The most interesting change in the experience from 10-year-old me to 22-year-old me was Sokka. As a kid, I saw him solely as comic relief. The guy who complained about everything, obviously wrong almost every time, and that was there to make us laugh with his mess-ups. Now, I think he's the voice of reason in the group, and I'm convinced if Aang and Katara had set off alone, they would have died a few times. He's one of my favorite characters now, if not my favorite.

Overall, I loved the show. Another kids show proving that you don't need to target a mature audience to tell a good story. I'm excited to see what happens with Korra now and hoping the best for the live action.

Edited by Eluvianii

I'm slowly working my way through Season One of Person of Interest. I remember trying the show years ago and really liking it - I even bought the first two seasons on DVD! - but I never got farther than episode 3. Now I'm on episode 14 and am really enjoying it. However, all I can think of is which order each character would be. 

The Machine - Stoneward. One might think that the way it spits out information that it would be a Truthwatcher. Heck, its abilities are definitely in like with (OATHBRINGER SPOILERS)

Spoiler

Renarin's abilities.

But the key difference is that the Machine tries to be there for those threatened by the trouble it so clearly sees. 

Mr. John Reese - Lightweaver? Honestly, I have a hard time placing what Mr. Reese should be. I think Lightweaver fits his persona more than anything, but the framing of the show almost puts him as a Windrunner so far. 

Harold Finch - Truthwatcher. Finch's arc so far has been about regaining the semblance of humanity that was taken away from him before. Paired with the machine, he sees truths in the world and works with Mr. Reese in order to interpret what that truth means. He also might be an Edgedancer. I'm not sure just yet. 

Detective Jocelyn Carter - Skybreaker. Most cops in shows are Skybreakers*, and Carter is no exception. 

*Brooklyn 99 has a nice mix of Radiants: Captain Hold, Amy, and Boyle are Skybreakers, Jake is a Windrunner, Rosa is a Lightweaver (the toughest Lightweaver you'll ever meet...next to Mr. Reese), Terry is a Bondsmith, Hitchcock and Scully are Edgedancers, and Gina is an Elsecaller. 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Dance, Girl, Dance directed by Dorothy Arzner. This was a pretty good film with some good laughs from the burlesque show and beautiful dancing courtesy of Maureen O’Brian.

Arzner is a great director with an eye for what works and what doesn’t. It’s sad how little she is talked about considering she was one of the first female directors, the only woman in the Director’s Guild during her career, pretty much invented the boom mic and was an open lesbian. I would love to see more of her films.

3 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Star Trek, The Next Generation: The Offspring. *sniffles*

YES!! I love Next Gen! You know how iOS 14 lets you customize your home screen? I’m making mine look like a computer from Star Trek! 

2 minutes ago, Hentient said:

YES!! I love Next Gen! You know how iOS 14 lets you customize your home screen? I’m making mine look like a computer from Star Trek! 

:o That's amazing! I wish I could do that...

Next Gen is my favorite. Would you like to hear a Deep Space Nine joke?

1 minute ago, Hentient said:

Yes I would! Next Gen and Voyager are my favorites. 

Space: the final frontier. These are the adventures of the DS9. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new corners, to seek out new places to clean, to boldly sit and wait for danger to come to us!!!