Highstorms

ZeldaDad

Or possibly some force is making the tilt change periodically?

I lean more towards this theory. Whatever is happening at the Origin, it's obviously releasing a huge amount of force (not to mention a chunk of a Shard's power). I don't think it's a stretch to imagine whatever sets off a Highstorm could tilt the planet a bit.

Personally, I'm imagining Honor's corpse periodically exploding. But we know a dead body doesn't retain a Shard's power. Ah well.

How, exactly, do you suppose they calculate the storms? perhaps based on certain factors involved in the last storm?

You guys haven't commented on my crackpot "Honor is reforming" idea! And I'd still like if we could figure out where the Sun rises.

Edited by Wonko the Sane

My guess would be from the Origin (east). That is generally the direction that the Sun rises from, and I don't think Brandon would like to make that big of a change without mentioning it.

Also, I think that if Honor says he's dead, and the Stormfather says that he's dead, he's probably dead. Kolo?

Also, I think that if Honor says he's dead, and the Stormfather says that he's dead, he's probably dead. Kolo?

Doloken, sule! That kind of reasoning is kayana! Next you'll be saying crazy things like "the sun rises in the east"

...oh wait...

I think Tanavast is very definitely dead. Bereft of life he rests in peace! He's run up the curtains and joined the choir invisible! HE IS AN EX-SHARDHOLDER!

Nah. He's stunned. Yeah; Odium stunned him just as he was wakin' up!

Problem with the moving continent theory. The storms break against the mountains, that's why there aren't any storms in Shin.

Actually, This is a potential explanation in itself, and I can't believe I missed it. Maybe the storms don't go any farther than Shinovar.

I never said he wasn't dead. Tanavast is almost certainly dead. Because it was Odium/Rayse that killed him, there's a good chance that Honor was Splintered. Now, a lot of people are guessing that the spren are in fact the Splinters of Honor. We have seen that windspren seem to follow the storms west, and that Syl desperately wanted to. This solidifies the fact the multiple kinds of spren are drawn west by the storms. We also have a quote saying that Honor was in the west at the time of the building of Urithiru. Whether he is still there is up for debate, but let's assume for now that he is, albeit dead. If this is the case, it would seem that the spren are being drawn to his body. If these spren really are pieces of Honor, that means that they are regrouping at their original body. If one takes all of this for granted, it is pretty concievable that the reason for their gathering is that they are coming together again, reforming the Shard. Think of it like this: instead of the storms being pushed out by the east, they are being pulled in by the west. It has little grounds, but the mere fact that Honor is dead does not disprove it. In fact, if Honor was not dead, this would make no sense at all!

I think you have some good points, Wonko. Were the Shard shattered in the West and reforming, it could be posible that the storms are being drawn to it, and the spren are as well. Assuming this is the case, for the sake of discussion, what are the storms themselves? The spren are Spinters that follow the storm, but why the storm? For the sake of discussion.

Wonko, you're right, I misunderstood you.

Honor may not be splintered though. Kaladin sees a face in the Storm, and I personally think that it is a Shard. And since Odium probably wouldn't refer to huimself, and Cultivation is a girl, it makes sense that it is Honor. I agree that it is probably not Tanavast. But it could be someone else.

Darn it! I can't use that argument for Odium, because it also refers to Honor. (Child of Honor, child of tanavast, child of one long deceased). So that doesn't make sense.

Then again, maybe only a little bit (like Well of Ascention size) of power is left to Honor, and who ever replaced him (Jezrien? Maybe?) only has a slight amount of power.

So pretty much disregard this post. ;)

I think you have some good points, Wonko. Were the Shard shattered in the West and reforming, it could be posible that the storms are being drawn to it, and the spren are as well. Assuming this is the case, for the sake of discussion, what are the storms themselves? The spren are Spinters that follow the storm, but why the storm? For the sake of discussion.

If Aona and Skai were killed and Splintered by Odium during the Reod which is what we've assumed happened then I think it's possible that Tanavast is dead but that Honor is still intact. The Shaod came during a tempest and caused the ground to shatter which created the chasm. I think that the Highstorms are Odium's power trying to Splinter the Honorshard and that the Shattered plains are a side effect of this.

If Aona and Skai were killed and Splintered by Odium during the Reod which is what we've assumed happened then I think it's possible that Tanavast is dead but that Honor is still intact. The Shaod came during a tempest and caused the ground to shatter which created the chasm. I think that the Highstorms are Odium's power trying to Splinter the Honorshard and that the Shattered plains are a side effect of this.

Well, I like this idea too. Too many good ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I like this idea too. Too many good ideas.

yeah great ideas all. I personally think the link with Jezrien is pretty crucial. Brandon has said Jezrien is around and he has a role to play in the books, Brandon has also said that Tanavast was the original holder of Honor and it sounds like "long since departed" means Honor has been dead for a while (*although intriguingly it could also mean someone who has left roshar completely...hmmm). We are told the storms are dying.

So two thoughts to share.

1. the strange natural phenomena of Scadrial is later explained as the The Lord Ruler attempting to make the planet habitable. Dalinar's vision seem to place him in a world pre- highstorms, and pre retreating grass etc. Could it be Jezrien took up Honor after Tanavast died and found a way to change the planet ecologically to fit the storms?

2. If the Jezrien is the aged face in the storm and the highstorms are dying, could it be the title actually refers to the end of stormlight completely in Roshar? Whatever happens at the end, the highstorms die, we move into an age of technology and the stormlight archive refers to the period where this process ended?

2. If the Jezrien is the aged face in the storm and the highstorms are dying, could it be the title actually refers to the end of stormlight completely in Roshar? Whatever happens at the end, the highstorms die, we move into an age of technology and the stormlight archive refers to the period where this process ended?

As in the Shard has left the planet? more likely the highstorms dying are linked to the Shard-mind dying/losing interest, or something like.

Maybe the highstorms are a reaction of Honor to the presence/return of Odium, a war of attrition say (much like Leras VS Ati on Scadrial). And that they are dying means one side is winning? The presence of Jezrien suggests that maybe he (after taking Tanavast's place) started warring Odium, and is failing, so starts appearing much like Leras did.

Or maybe Jezrien is a servant of Odium, or the presence is a fake made to mislead.

I don't think so. Brandon has spoken many times about how he wants a book that's about the reintroduction of magic, about it's birth rather than it's death (like in LOTR, or WoT).

I don't think so. Brandon has spoken many times about how he wants a book that's about the reintroduction of magic, about it's birth rather than it's death (like in LOTR, or WoT).

I thought he had said he wants a book about the emergence of technoloogy. Any reference?

That sounds like what Mistborn is becoming...

In Mistborn, it seems like the technology is developing away from magic, whereas in Stormlight Archives the "technology" is a gradual rediscovery of ancient magic. The distinction between technology and magic isn't very important anyway.

In Mistborn, it seems like the technology is developing away from magic, whereas in Stormlight Archives the "technology" is a gradual rediscovery of ancient magic. The distinction between technology and magic isn't very important anyway.

http://www.graspingforthewind.com/2010/09/16/interview-brandon-sanderson-on-the-way-of-kings/

This interview is what I was thinking of, but I am sure there are others. What's interesting is not just first few comments but also the later reference to Golden Age Rome and Renaissance Italy.

Two things about magic and technology. Whatever the precise mechanism of the Knights Radiant was, it clearly involved a bond with a spren, whether the Nahel or Honorspren. What is very different about fabrials is that they capture a spren and use it up. That is, at least as I understand it, a much more violative relationship.

The second point is while the techology is obviously dependent on stormlight, the end of the Highstorms will presumably mean the end of stormlight no? And that is a frightening thought for Roshar....

Edited by grinachu

Two things about magic and technology. Whatever the precise mechanism of the Knights Radiant was, it clearly involved a bond with a spren, whether the Nahel or Honorspren. What is very different about fabrials is that they capture a spren and use it up. That is, at least as I understand it, a much more violative relationship.

I don't think that the fabrials "use up" the spren. The stormlight is definitely expended in use, but the spren are still there as far as I know; for instance, the soulcasting fabrials seem to have the ability to work indefinitely, given a supply of stormlight. Given the nature of spren in their universe, I'm not sure just how bad this relationship really is, ethically. How many spren are really sapient?

I don't think that the fabrials "use up" the spren. The stormlight is definitely expended in use, but the spren are still there as far as I know; for instance, the soulcasting fabrials seem to have the ability to work indefinitely, given a supply of stormlight. Given the nature of spren in their universe, I'm not sure just how bad this relationship really is, ethically. How many spren are really sapient?

hmmm...I think the point is that spren have the capacity to become sapient no?

Anyway it seems like technology based on spren and stormlight might be hit by the death of the Highstorms.