Long Game 14: To Shatter a Shard

Night 15: The End of Days

“Oh, the chaos! How amazing this is. I never thought the worlds would burn so thoroughly and completely.” Maw grinned as he faced off against the fuming Stick.

“Why are you even against us Maw?” Stick’s words were spat out of his mouth, as if he were hoping they would kill their listener. “Odium is your enemy just as much as ours!”

Maw shrugged. “I guess I’m not a fan of puppeteers.”

The whole Cosmere could hear Stick’s teeth grinding together. “I curse the name of the one behind this all. Nyra! is the Enemy Maw! Help us kill her! Until we kill her, the Cosmere is in danger!”

“In danger? It’s worse than in Danger Sitcky. You don’t even realize the consequences of your war, do you? Honour, Cultivation, Ruin, Devotion, Dominion, all dead! Five of the pillars that hold up the Cosmere, gone! Your war weakens the others. I give it a few days before the Cosmere itself dies.”

“Maw, you’re such a monster! Survival isn’t supposed to care about Destruction!”

“Shouldn’t I?” The grin fell from the farmer’s face. “Shouldn’t I really? You forget, I wasn’t always Survival. I spent far longer as Odium, lord of Hatred. I want to see everything burn, but I want to survive afterwards. The easiest way to survive is to be alone, completely.”

Stick shook his head in disbelief at the outburst. “Whatever did we do, to make you take our World away? Are we your prey alone? Or are we just a stepping stone for taking back the throne?”

“Definitely the stepping stone Stick. I won’t let you lynch Nyra. I need her alive. At least, for now. We'll see what the Future brings."

Votes:

Kipper(2): Mailliw, Raven

Raven(2):Kipper, STINK

Wouldn't that mean he can only kill her if she's not a Shard, but by giving her Odium, she will be?

Not necessarily. Even if she has a Shard right now, she could simply give it up to avoid a kill. Gifting her Odium and killing her ensures a death.

If you look at what I've said, you will hopefully realize what is going on Kipper.

Oh, I do.

Fin: Hatred cannot Die, as long as Man Survives.

Maw grasped the Scholar’s hand and shook. “I’ll miss working with you Nyra. You helped cause a lot of chaos.”

The woman released his hand and moved both of hers behind her back, standing straight and proud. “Fact. The Chaos served a Purpose. I would not work with you otherwise. I do not believe you hold any loyalty to me. Theory. You wanted all of us Shattered. Not just those aligned against Hal.”

Maw still didn’t know what to make of Nyra’s odd way of talking. All logic and Practicality. She would have made a better holder for Survival than him, truth be told. But as long as she held Preservation, he couldn’t give it to her. Nyra wasn’t strong enough to hold two shards at once. “That doesn’t matter, does it Ny? You used me, I used you, we both got further ahead in life. You’ll just get to experience the Second State before I will. Save me a seat will you?”

For a moment, a ghost of a grin appeared on her face, but it was gone before he could confirm its existence. “I will Maw. I wish you Luck in surviving when they come for you.”

“I’d wish you the same, but I don’t think any amount of Luck can save you know.” Maw took a step back and bowed low to his partner in Chaos. When he straightened, he was already in Shadesmar. Now then, where to next? Leyton and Stick would come for him. But Nyra would delay them long enough that he could find somewhere among the stars to Hide. Autonomy would probably take him in. Their intents matched up pretty well. Or he could go and hunt down Second. The colourless Cremling still deserved death for his crimes.

It took only a slight expenditure of power to set off through the sea of beads to Taldain. No matter what happened, Maw would Survive.

Fact: Nothing lasted forever.

Even with all the Power of Preservation at her hands, she couldn’t stay her own death. It was a cruel Irony that having the power to kill would have let her survive, but holding the power to protect ensured her death.

Fact: Leyton was coming for her. He held Endowment and Odium.

Theory: He was coming to kill her.

Nyra waited as Leyton, wreathed in Investiture of all colours, landed before her. The Blue of Honour, the Violet of Dominion, Cultivation’s Yellow, Ruin’s Bronze, Endowment’s Green. And the bloodred of Odium. The man before her held nearly half the power that created the Cosmere. All for her. He really knew how to make a lady feel special.

“Fact. You have come to kill me. You intend to use my Lord’s own Power to end me.”

Leyton grinned before responding. When he did, the colours surrounding him faded, letting the red of Odium fill the space. “It’s only fitting for the last Champion to die to her own Hatred.”

“Fact. I have none. All the Hatred among the shards is owned by those gone before us, as well as you and your ally.”

“No hatred at all? That does explain how you hid for so long. Still, Hater or not, you’re the enemy.” Odium’s Investiture slithered across his chest, coalescing over his hand and arm into the the shape of a sword. “And unlike the Shards of old, I won’t leave an enemy alive.”

Nyra called all the Power of Leras into existence, forging a barrier out of nothing more than the will to remain Unchanged. The sword of Odium struck the Barrier, sending a wave of sparks into the air around them. Leyton pulled back his arm and swung again, striking the barrier harder. Sparks filled the air, but Stability could hold out against Hatred until the Cosmere itself died.

Leyton narrowed his eyes, no longer grinning. “Stability is of course, one of the most defensive powers in the cosmere. I should have guessed that wouldn’t work. But don’t get your hopes up yet.”

He held his left hand out, and as Nyra watched, the Bronze of Ruin’s Investiture flowed across his body and formed into a second sword. Hatred and Destruction. Odium and Ruin. Leyton clapped his hands together, forcing the shards together, into one. Their colours mixed, becoming darker, angrier. “Decay, Shard of Malicious Destruction. Entropy given will. I’ll bet this can break your barrier.”

He lunged forward swinging the newly forged Shard with all his might. It struck the immovable barrier and forced it backwards. Without pause, he followed up with an overhead blow, and another from the side. Each strike chipped away at Preservation’s power. Cracks spread through the shield, forming a spiderweb of damage.

Nyra dropped to one knee, consolidating her remaining power into a smaller dome. Leyton grinned once more and struck again at his weakened target. As he did, he let power of Dominion flow into his blade. The strike of three shards sheared through the barrier, taking off Nyra’s upraised arms as well. She fell backwards, her barrier fading away.

The pain didn’t reach her mind. Nyra’s thought were untroubled by what should have been a terrible symphony coming from her nerves. Instead she felt a sense of peace, and victory. Finally, it was over. “Fact. I still win.”

Her killer’s grin slipped again, replaced by a scowl. “Shut up Nyra. I’ve won.” He forced more power into the blade, making it burst into flames as he stabbed it downwards, through her chest and into the ground beneath her. The sheer power of the blow destroyed her completely, burning away her body it a rush of wind and flame.

Leyton panted and leaned on his shards. he slowly caught his breath, before straightening up. He could feel the power of Preservation flowing into him, strengthening him. He grinned at it, and let it out, mixing it with Cultivation to form a suit of armor, a set of Plate to keep him safe. He raised the Sword of Domination high and watched the sunlight reflect off it.

7 shards now. Dominion, Ruin and Odium were combined in his Blade, Preservation and Cultivation in his Armor. Honour and Endowment were held back within him. An idle thought crossed his mind. How hard could it be to collect the remaining eight? He grinned at the thought. Endowment was fine, but being Adonalsium? That was something else entirely.

He left the world behind and contemplated what to do next. Taldain and Vax were both nearby. Either would serve for his newfound purpose. He would bring an end to the Shards, and reforge God. No one would stand in his way now.

RavenRadiant was The Unmade, Holder of Preservation, Last Champion of Odium! (And the new holder of the Title, Bloodthirsty Goddess)

The Seventeenth Shard has Won! Mailliw has Won!

Mailliw is Survival!

Kipper is Odium!

IrulelikeSTINK is Endowment!

The Dead Doc

The Spec Doc

The Voidbringer’s Doc

Expect the GM’s final thoughts to appear in the next 48 Hours.

Edited by The Only Joe

Thanks everyone for the the game, and thank you Joe for running it. I really enjoyed it!

I didn't think we were quite Voidbringers?

Unfortunately, LG14 won't be getting the award for longest eliminator doc...

Have another Les Miserable parody:

God beyond, what have I done?
Become a thief in the night,
Become a dog on the run
And have I fallen so far,
And is the hour so late
That nothing remains but the cry of my hate,
A Shard in my hand that causes all tears,
The start of a fall through the turning of the years?

If there's another way to go
I missed it just one week ago
My life was a war that could never be won
Never an eliminator, just murdered again
When they lynched me and left me for dead
Just for posting some words in a thread

Yet why did I allow that man
To assign me Odium?
He treated me like any other
He rolled me his dice
He made me Hater
But now I start to have some fun
Can such things be?
For I’ve come to hate the world
This world that always hated me

Take an eye for an eye!
Turn your heart into stone!
This is all I have lived for!
This is all I have known!

Wilson now knows I have Shard
My death now’d not be hard,
My fellows help might stop her
To survive I’ll have to take her life
Will her trust, once gained, now be lost?
How can I know?
Will I be numbered on her list?
Is there another way to go?

I am running, but I fall
And the lynch is closing in
As I stare into The Void
Where all my plans did begin
I’ll escape now from this game,
From the Hate of Culivation
This Lord of Hate is now no more
Another story must begin!

Also, with the eliminator doc, unless Joe merges them, be sure to check the table of contents first, and click the 'Archive' link, which has the 100+ pages of Cycles 1-8

Edited by Haelbarde

First off, yay!! With a slight disappointment that team good won too. But you deserved it. Everyone played this game very well, and I couldn't decide who I'd want to win if I had to pick a side. I'm impressed that the OCs made it this far and impressed with Team Good for finding them all in quick succession(for the most part).

Second, an apology is due. I apologize for any irritation, annoyance, or pissed-off-ness I may have caused. My playstyle this game was very abrasive and I saw that. It did work, I won. But I do apologize for any hard feelings I may have caused and I will not be playing like this in the future. Not likely at least. :P Anyways, Wilson, Kipper, Joe, and Seonid probably deserve most of this apology, so I'll apologize to you officially, but anyone else who found me to be an annoyance this game, I'm sorry to you too. I hope the hard feelings don't last. If there is an issue, please PM me and I'll try to work it out. :)

Thirdly, RP.

Maw laughed. The organization, corrupt though it had become, had won. The Seventeenth Shard had vanquished Odium. Liars, all of them. Aili had died to their hands and to the hands of Odium's champions equally. All of them deserved the fires of Braize. But his scythe was bloody enough.

Maw's memories of his time as Odium had come back to him. The Hatred had consumed him and carried over even as the Shard left him. But even as Odium, Lord Hatred himself, he had caused fewer deaths than he had as Survival. He had survived, but at what cost? Battling within him was the side that wanted revenge and survival and the side that wanted it to be over and peace.

Eventually he had been twisted into Chaos. A twisted, mutant form of his old self, Odium, and Survival. Eventually, it led to this form of himself. One he had never foreseen. One he regretted with part of his soul and delighted in with the other. There wasn't reconciliation between the sides except to ignore the internal battle and just go as he felt to do in the moment. And at this moment, he was leaving these burned, scarred planets to find refuge somewhere else.

Edit: do those doc links for anyone else?

Edited by Mailliw73