Alpha Readers Thread

Mandamon

9 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

Congratulations! I'm a little late to the party, but I can give you my thoughts! You can email to me using the email connected to my submissions. If you can't find that email, PM me. I've started a new job, but I'll jump on your novel as soon as I have time. 

Congratulations to you too on your new job! PM your e-mail, and I'll share the doc with you. If that works for you.

• 3 months later...

Not 100 percent sure that this is still going on, but I would be willing to check out any novels that you guys have if you need alpha readers. I can't say that I am great at this, or even good for that matter, but I think it sounds like a swell idea.

On 10/13/2020 at 5:16 PM, sniperfrog said:

Not 100 percent sure that this is still going on, but I would be willing to check out any novels that you guys have if you need alpha readers. I can't say that I am great at this, or even good for that matter, but I think it sounds like a swell idea.

It goes off and on. I haven't been around too long but it seems like when someone has something they want read people jump in if they can. 

It's a big time commitment but it's nice to see a whole work at once, I think it gives a different perspective than a chapter at a time. 

20 hours ago, Sarah B said:

It goes off and on. I haven't been around too long but it seems like when someone has something they want read people jump in if they can. 

On 10/13/2020 at 5:16 PM, sniperfrog said:

Normally I would jump in for alpha reads. I've done several. I honestly find them easier in some ways than doing week-by-week. I can just get into the flow of the story and go. 

However, right now, I'm completely swamped and behind on normal critiques, let alone adding to the pile. The last alpha read I did should have only taken me two weeks, and it was upwards of two months. After that, I realized I don't really have the ability to add extra onto my workload at the moment. 

It's especially nice to alpha read for someone whose writing you admire. Then you can just plunge in and get your fill instead of dealing with weeklong cliffhangers. 

On 10/16/2020 at 9:39 AM, Snakenaps said:

It wasn't your fault. Obviously, your book was worth reading if I wasn't just willing to message you and go "Dude, I can't do it." I could have stopped any time. I chose not to. 

Thanks ^_^.

I'm part of the way through the first draft of another novel (which I might break for NaNoWriMo) and after a couple of rounds of edits I plan on sending it through weekly.

Edited by Turin Turambar

3 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Thanks ^_^.

I'm part of the way through the first draft of another novel (which I might break for NaNoWriMo) and after a couple of rounds of edits I plan on sending it through weekly.

In the words of the great Emperor Palpatine:

Do it. 

• 3 months later...

Things we have collectively realized: I need a better starting point for my story.

The main problem:  Weekly submissions are wonderful, but the way things currently are, I think I'm going to get a lot of similar feedback up until the inciting incident, which is currently too far into the book.  Something I know I've had to fix for a while, and have improved a little bit, but need eyes that haven't seen it before, because my brain is too stuck in the block of the way things currently are, even though I know that there are some big things that don't actually have to be that way. 

For example. The ball? Not really important.  It was in draft 1 way back when, but is now mostly just relevant because it brings all of the nobility into the capital at once, and is a chance to show some character interactions.  But it takes up far too much space, and the way things are set up now, has to come before the inciting incident. Because birthday ceremony things.

I need to either

1. Find a better lead-in incident for chapter 1 to get us through until the inciting incident.

or

2. Get to the inciting incident and work back from there to figure out how to lead into it more quickly.  And probably ditch the first few chapters altogether and start them from scratch.  And that's not something that week-to-week feedback seems aimed at addressing.  At least not until after a few weeks of frustration for all involved and then discarding a bunch of feedback that people spent a lot of time on.

So! 

Is anyone up for doing a readthrough of Part 1 (about 36k words including the prologue) of my story to specifically help with addressing this angle of things?  I'm glad to do an exchange if people have things they'd like me to look at. 

1 hour ago, C_Vallion said:

Is anyone up for doing a readthrough of Part 1 (about 36k words including the prologue) of my story to specifically help with addressing this angle of things?  I'm glad to do an exchange if people have things they'd like me to look at. 

Happy to help. No need to exchange - I've got nothing ready yet. DM me when you're ready and I'll send you my email if you don't already have it from the list serve

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been rather quiet here lately, wrapped up in life, but if anyone wants to do a trade for Draft Four of my current work for something of your own (whether that be now or in the future), hit me up. Even if you can only read the first four chapters, anything helps. 

9 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

I've been rather quiet here lately, wrapped up in life, but if anyone wants to do a trade for Draft Four of my current work for something of your own (whether that be now or in the future), hit me up. Even if you can only read the first four chapters, anything helps. 

I’d be happy to take a look at your manuscript. 

• 7 months later...

Would anyone be willing to have a look at my manuscript? It's currently sitting at just under 39000 words, so it shouldn't be a very long read (part of what I was hoping to get out of this was ideas for how to get it closer to a novel length piece). To be honest, I'm kind of nervous about letting other people read my work, but that's the point of writing I guess. I know it's missing something but I feel like I've been staring at it too long to know what that something is anymore.
I'm willing to look at other people's work too, but I am a bit of a slow reader so I may take a little while to get through it.

18 minutes ago, jamesbondsmith said:

Would anyone be willing to have a look at my manuscript? It's currently sitting at just under 39000 words, so it shouldn't be a very long read (part of what I was hoping to get out of this was ideas for how to get it closer to a novel length piece). To be honest, I'm kind of nervous about letting other people read my work, but that's the point of writing I guess. I know it's missing something but I feel like I've been staring at it too long to know what that something is anymore.
I'm willing to look at other people's work too, but I am a bit of a slow reader so I may take a little while to get through it.

I would say if you're nervous about other people reading, it would be much better to submit one week to the forum and see what the reaction is, rather that having a couple people read the whole thing. You'll get much better results in discovering if anything is not working in the story.

9 hours ago, Mandamon said:

would say if you're nervous about other people reading, it would be much better to submit one week to the forum and see what the reaction is, rather that having a couple people read the whole thing. You'll get much better results in discovering if anything is not working in the story.

I second this. Do the weekly sub. You'll get much better feedback that way.

• 10 months later...
18 hours ago, JWerner said:

Hello. Would anyone be willing to take a look at the full manuscript for my current draft for The Witch and the Ostrich? 

If I wasn't up to my eyeballs, I would do it, but...I'm up to my eyeballs, sorry!

My own MS for Quirk & Moth Book 2 is due back with a certain publisher by mid January. Don't tell him I'm running a bit behind my projected rate of progress :rolleyes:

Edited by Robinski

On 12/25/2022 at 3:10 PM, JWerner said:

Hello. Would anyone be willing to take a look at the full manuscript for my current draft for The Witch and the Ostrich? 

I'd like to, but I'm struggling just to keep up with regular subs at the moment (which I do plan on getting back to!) What's the timeline you're hoping for?

16 hours ago, Silk said:

I'd like to, but I'm struggling just to keep up with regular subs at the moment (which I do plan on getting back to!) What's the timeline you're hoping for?

I don't really have a solid timeline; I'd just like to finally have something published to my name. So if you could take a look at within the next month or two, Silk, I'd really appreciate that.

Edited by JWerner