The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Not sure if this has already been answered.

Several characters in The Way of Kings appear to have names derived from the names of Heralds or other significant characters. Adolin's name shares the same prefix as Adonalsium, as well as several of the other letters. Is this a coincidence? 

If someone on Sel with the necessary knowledge of the cosmere and realmatics were to try and reassemble the Splinters of Devotion and Dominion, would it be easier to try and reform those Shards separately, or just try and use Shards of both to form a new composite Shard similar to Harmony?  Or would there not be a difference?

On a related note, if Devotion and Dominion were reassembled somehow and taken up by new holders, would this directly lead to Shadesmar becoming safer to travel, or would further conscious efforts be required to make a change there?

Could a Hemalurgic spike be soulstamped to grant a different power than the one it stole?

Are there power-enhancing modifiers for soulstamps like there are for the AonDor? Can you use them to increase their power on a stamp enough to stamp Invested objects?

Would Stormlight used to Awaken objects run out? If so, are Breaths 'permanent' because they were meant to be by Endowment but Stormlight was not specifically instructed to stay?

How does a Returned on Roshar survive a Weeping? There's no Stormlight, and they need a Breath every week.

Edited by Moogle

Stormlight runs out during the Weeping, I thought. Am I wrong?

As far as I understand, it retains exactly the same as it would at any other time. There just isn't any new Stormlight because of the lack of highstorms.

As far as I understand, it retains exactly the same as it would at any other time. There just isn't any new Stormlight because of the lack of highstorms.

Right... but doesn't every gem go dark after a week without Light?

The Weeping lasts quite a while.

Edited by Moogle

1)

If someone on Sel with the necessary knowledge of the cosmere and realmatics were to try and reassemble the Splinters of Devotion and Dominion, would it be easier to try and reform those Shards separately, or just try and use Shards of both to form a new composite Shard similar to Harmony?  Or would there not be a difference?

On a related note, if Devotion and Dominion were reassembled somehow and taken up by new holders, would this directly lead to Shadesmar becoming safer to travel, or would further conscious efforts be required to make a change there?

I don't think Dominion and Devotion could be reassembled, as for they are splintered. Trying to "mix/combine" them to get a result like Harmony, will not work either, because Ruin and Preservation weren's splintered when this happened. I'd call it Ruin and Preservation were free (lacking a person holding them), so Sazed was able to pick them up both.

2)

Stormlight runs out during the Weeping, I thought. Am I wrong?

Right... but doesn't every gem go dark after a week without Light?

The Weeping lasts quite a while.

The length of time the Light lasts is, according to WoR, a function of gem size and the way the gem is cut.

If I understand some things in WoR right, I think gems can hold Stormlight longer if sheltered (in the dark) (for example the gems Shallan found in Tyn's trunk or the ones Lirin kept). Those gems would run out eventually, too, but I could see there are possibilities to make them hold the Stormlight longer.

I might be wrong, though.

I opened a thread for it a while back, but there was no satisfying answer, so it should fit here.

Scadrial, AoL era, has a duration of the year close to earth. when the lord ruler moved the planet, he placed it in a closer orbit, with a necessarily shorter orbital period. calculations reveal that to have a significant effect on the heating of the planet, the new orbit must have had a much shorter year, at least 25% shorter. How does that combine with the ages of the characters the general aging of the poopulation?

In Elantris, the primary curses seem to use the name of "Domi" in vain ("Idos Domi", "Merciful Domi", etc). Is that in reference to Dominion in some way?

Doubtful, Domi is the name of the god of Shu-Korath, which is based off of Aon Omi.  Dominion is the name of the shard in English, which they wouldn't be speaking.

I opened a thread for it a while back, but there was no satisfying answer, so it should fit here.

Scadrial, AoL era, has a duration of the year close to earth. when the lord ruler moved the planet, he placed it in a closer orbit, with a necessarily shorter orbital period. calculations reveal that to have a significant effect on the heating of the planet, the new orbit must have had a much shorter year, at least 25% shorter. How does that combine with the ages of the characters the general aging of the poopulation?

My thinking is that since the Lord Ruler was screwing around with their genetics, he made them age at a rate to match the year, So, Vin being sixteen would have the body of a sixteen year old girl from Earth but had only lived what we would call 13 years. When Sazed put things right, he fixed the genetics as well.

Edited by Kelvin

Could a Nicrosil Twinborn who got ahold of another form of Investiture, would they be able to use their compounding abilities to drain unlimited amounts of power from the Shard whose Investiture they're using (assuming unlimited amounts of Nicrosil around)? If they drained enough, would they become the Shardholder? Could this be used to deSplinter a Shard?

Pretty sure that you couldn't, since that Investure is used and returned to the Shard immediately. In Feruchemy, you're just changing your own stuff, so no Shards there. For Allomancy, if you took like, Pewter, you'd just give it all back as you burned it for huge results.