What are you playing right now?

So, I have a Switch now. The plan had been to go for a ps4 first since forever but that SMT V trailer a few months ago really got me excited.

Now, I did get a little impatient and didn't wait until I had enough to buy one or two big games so I have the physical version of Tetris 99 and that only because it came with the console. On the next paycheck I'll definitely go for BotW. 

Still, I had enough for something so I bought FFVIII Remastered. That game and I share a curse since high school and I intend to break it now. 

I'm also playing the demo for Bravely Default II and also tried the one for Dragon Quest XI because I couldn't resist. Besides, a 10-hour demo is no small thing. 

im glad i bought and downloaded/installed Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII Remastered for my Nintendo Switch Lite.  Been a long long time since i played them like back in 2000 or 2001.

as for demos, i pretty much stopped downloading and played newer demos since the full games come out a month or two later anyway.  yes I am aware certain demos let you get things earlier etc but that ruins the fun and experience when playing the actual full game

I've decided to do a quick play-through of Elder Scrolls Oblivion because I've played Skyrim so much. Going alright so far, but I'd love to see a graphical remaster for that game. I've decided to do a run through of the arena quest line, I never realized how much fun it would be to fight in an arena (in a video game). I am looking forward to seeing how the Mythic Dawn quest-line goes, since it is the main plot line.

Also, I noticed that Doom Eternal is coming to the Switch, am I the only one who finds that slightly weird?

23 hours ago, The Ookla's Guard said:

I've decided to do a quick play-through of Elder Scrolls Oblivion because I've played Skyrim so much. Going alright so far, but I'd love to see a graphical remaster for that game. I've decided to do a run through of the arena quest line, I never realized how much fun it would be to fight in an arena (in a video game). I am looking forward to seeing how the Mythic Dawn quest-line goes, since it is the main plot line.

Also, I noticed that Doom Eternal is coming to the Switch, am I the only one who finds that slightly weird?

Despite spending hundreds upon hundreds of hours on TES games Morrowind is the only one I ever completed the main story for. Oblivion pissed me off so bad cause I was never able to even complete the 1st main story mission due to enemy lvl up system that game had.

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Not playing right now, but by tonight I should be playing the PS5 Remastered Spider-Man game. My goal is to beat that and then dive straight into Spider-Man: Miles Morales. ...although, I also want to dive straight into Miles Morales. Maybe I'll do a little of the Remaster and then go to Mile's story. 

If you've already played the original Spider Man, then that's fine. If you haven't, don't. Miles spoils quite a bit of the first game 

1 hour ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

If you've already played the original Spider Man, then that's fine. If you haven't, don't. Miles spoils quite a bit of the first game 

Played it, beat it, got to about 95% completion (I wasn't going to try and Ultimate rank everything). I also spoiled myself on the story of Miles, so it's not that part that I'm eager to get to...although I AM eager to get to it. I'm here for the experience the EXAGGERATTED SWAGGER OF A BLACK TEENAGER webslinging of Spider-Man, the in-world podcasts, and the side-missions. 

59 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Played it, beat it, got to about 95% completion (I wasn't going to try and Ultimate rank everything). I also spoiled myself on the story of Miles, so it's not that part that I'm eager to get to...although I AM eager to get to it. I'm here for the experience the EXAGGERATTED SWAGGER OF A BLACK TEENAGER webslinging of Spider-Man, the in-world podcasts, and the side-missions. 

All right fair enough. Did you play the DLC of the first game? Its not important but it is quite good

3 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

All right fair enough. Did you play the DLC of the first game? Its not important but it is quite good

I watched an LP it last year and played 2/3 of the campaign earlier this year, so I'm familiar with it. My brother-in-law and I decided to dive straight into Miles Morales! 

so, my brother-in-law and I just finished the main campaign for Spider-Man: Miles Morales. He ended up doing most of the story missions while I did the side-missions, which is exactly what we wanted. We'll finish up everything we need in the post-game or NG+, because this game is so short that getting 100% shouldn't be a problem. 

My TL;DR about this game is: Unless you're a Spider-Man fan or didn't play the PS4 Spider-Man game, having this as your only PS5 game - or even buying a PS5 for this game exclusively - is a bad choice. Don't get me wrong, this is a great game. The cast is phenomenal, the characters are so human and likeable, and the gameplay is exactly what we all want. But it's so short that I can't entirely justify it to everyone just yet. But if you have a PS5 and are looking for a new game, then yeah, go ahead and get it. You won't regret it. The score is a solid 8 or 8.5/10

I do have one major gripe that I'll get into in the spoiler section down below, as it's character and story related, not gameplay-related. 

After this game, I think the big question on everyone's mind is which Spider-hero should get a spin-off next (after Spider-Man 2 of course). I think people are trending towards Spider-Gwen due to her popularity, but honestly I think that would be a bad choice. Peter's history seems to be an amalgamation of the general Peter Parker mythos...and in most of those stories, Gwen Stacy is dead. Sure, one could bring her back to life and state that Peter simply thought she was dead, but I don't think that's a good move on Peter's part either. No, my choice for the next hero would be Cindy Moon aka Silk. Silk could help us explore what it's like to be Asian American in New York while also giving an up-and-coming character the spotlight. Her story would be vastly different from Peter and Miles', and I think that would be appreciated.

My one problem is that gameplay with her may be...routine at this point. You see, Peter and Miles have the same core gameplay, with a few exceptions. Peter hits far harder than Miles, has more tech, and is far more sturdy. This makes sense, as Peter has been doing this far longer than Miles has. Miles on the other hand has his awesome (and super fun) Venom Shock powers, invisibility, and great finishers. Cindy would have to find her own balance in this, and while that's possible, I'm not sure where it'd be. 

There's also the fact that since Cindy is such a new character, she doesn't have the range of costumes needed to fully support her. I've seen people complain that Miles' suit repertoire was too small compared to Peter's (despite the fact that Miles even HAS that man suits to change into, given that he's only nine years old as a character); Cindy is even younger, first appearing in 2014. 

So how do we keep the gameplay fresh while keeping the core of it? There are a couple of things. My first thought was a prologue focusing on 

[MASSIVE, GAME-SPOILING SPOILERS]

Spoiler

Phin. I think seeing her rise in the Underground would be pretty cool. 

Phin would play similar to Venom in Ultimate Spider-Man, with focus on leaping and long-distance attacks. Her programmable matter would be upgraded over the course of the game, allowing her to change the weapons she chooses (guns, swords, shields, etc), create sentry turrets like what she uses in her boss fight, and overall durability. 

Ideally, I would rather have Phin live and gain a DLC story or something focusing on her redemption, as she tries to atone for the damage she's done while also finding her own brand of justice. I think it'd be interesting to see her try to be good after everything, and despite Miles forgiving her, having Rio reject her. Let's see her try to earn her way as a superhero with Spider-Man guiding her (in his superhero identity because he doesn't trust her yet). Show the push and pull of Spider-Man understanding the core concept of her struggle while struggling with the scope of her misdeeds itself. Let's see her fight against the Underground and Roxxon as she wages a one-woman war against them, freeing Miles up for different villains. 

But we're not going to get that, because in media it's far easier to pull a "redemption equals death" than actually trying to redeem a character. (If you can't tell, this is my gripe.) 

So instead, I'd like to see a DLC of Phin joining and eventually leading the Underground against those other enemies, and eventually becoming leader.

My second thought is a DLC focusing on 

[Minor, Non-Game Ruining Spoilers]

Spoiler

The Prowler as he is takes on a program not unlike what Rhino had with Roxxon in order to redeem himself. I think in this situation it would be similar to Batman: Arkham Asylum in terms of gameplay and Batman: Arkham Origins in terms of tone. His main partner here would be one Captain Yuri Watanabe. (It doesn't help that I totally ship them, despite the fact they never met.) 

But I'm getting side-tracked. The side-missions in this game are relatively varied and far better than the mission in the PS4 game, as they help you know the community and side-characters more. The gameplay is fun and a solid mix of stealth elements with raw action, as is fitting with Miles' powers. And the story, while nothing new, is told quite well. It's a fun game. 

So, finally got Breath of the Wild. Probably my most anticipated game ever, my head basically exploded when I watched the last trailer almost four years ago. Back then I couldn't afford a Switch or a Wii U, so now, just getting the game on the mail, feels surreal. I don't think my mind understands yet what I'm about to start. 

Anyway, I have snacks, food, I even have a little honey-flavored cider because why not, and I have an entire day free of responsibilities. I'm so ready for this. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles which i started back in...checks notes...June.  so it took me about 6 months to get through.  not 100% because by the end there  didnt feel like grinding out fights to finish off skill trees and build relationship levels of characters that I had never teamed up.  Shulk, Fiora, and Sharla were pretty high ranked with everyone, but building the other relationships would just have taken too long.

A few days ago I finished The Longest Journey, and tonight I finished its sequel, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. This has been an amazing experience, I'm completely in love with this world, and I can count with my hand's fingers the times I've seen a cliffhanger this size.

I'm excited, slightly frustrated, Dreamfall Chapters, the last game in the trilogy, is installed and ready to be played, and I'm craving for answers. So I'll be right back, gotta see where this all ends.

12 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

Playing Nier Automata right now and woah... just woah

I downloaded that last year in the Japan sale I got Cold Steel games out of to and I’ve been dying to get started. It’s been close to a year since then. Thinking about taking a break after CS2 and finally starting it.