The Good News Thread: I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

traceria

On 4.12.2016 at 0:02 AM, Cognizantastic said:

According to the Internet...

Hide contents

"A twelvie is a person under the age of 13 who acts like they are 16, nobody likes them and they should be murdered" (wikihow)

"A twelvie is a person that is between 12-14 who thinks they are cool and they [PROFANITY] know everything... twelvies are [PROFANITY]annoying and they think they are better than everyone else. Twelvies are also known as teenie boppers. [PROFANITY] teenie boppers." (Urbandictionary)

Just for reference: while I am not familiar with wikihow, I know urbandictionary. It's... untrustworthy is not strong enough, not even that magnitude. Anybody can add definition whatever they think and we end up with a mess. Never trust urbandictionary. Not only they're contradicting each other, then there are also people who just don't like something and will smear the term down (made up example: you'll find "feminist" defined as <a lot of curse words implying them being stupid and the like>).

So... that's about it.

55 minutes ago, Ookla the Sunrise Watcher said:

Just for reference: while I am not familiar with wikihow, I know urbandictionary. It's... untrustworthy is not strong enough, not even that magnitude. Anybody can add definition whatever they think and we end up with a mess. Never trust urbandictionary. Not only they're contradicting each other, then there are also people who just don't like something and will smear the term down (made up example: you'll find "feminist" defined as <a lot of curse words implying them being stupid and the like>).

So... that's about it.

It is sometimes useful for very slang internet-y terms you'll never find defined elsewhere.

Going to Goodwill afterschool with friends! Woo, thrift-store-ing! 

Also, I got one of my friends listening to Night Vale. During episode one, she turned towards me with a very puzzled/terrified look on her face every thirty seconds or so. Her verbal responses are quite amusing as well:

"CAM WHY ARE THERE SMALL ANIMALS FALLING FROM THE SKY---Oh they're dead."

Edited by bleeder

So my grandpa recently bought a discounted pair of cellos off the Internet even though he doesn't know how to play yet. (I don't either, for that matter.) I got to spend half an hour attempting to tune one with a pitch pipe. Not very easy when one of the pitches on the pitch pipe was about a half-step flat and the strings kept loosening after I tightened them, but I found it relaxing after the crazy hectic day I've had. (See my post in the Bad Day thread for the full rant.)

Just finished my second day in Tokyo. (BoM Spoilers)

Spoiler

One more full day to go before I head back home to South Scadrial--I mean, the Philippines. Seriously, I felt like I needed a mask because of how much I can relate to Allik's people now. There was no snow, as it had been "warm" days so far at less than 10°C, but that's fine given that I suddenly fear the thought of going out on one of their colder days. Those Uniqlo Heattech clothing saved my life, though. They're like my own personal Heat medallions.

Today me and my folks got to visit a couple of temples, ate some sushi from a conveyor belt, went on a couple of boat rides, ate some takoyaki, and explored Odaiba. I still have Pokemon Center and Akihabara on my list, so I'll make sure to visit them tomorrow even if I have to go on my own.

Wish me luck!

Edited by skaa
Yikes, I forgot that's a spoiler

21 minutes ago, ShadowLord_Lith said:

I'm finally getting a Facebook account today! Finally after fifteen years of curiosity and minor bouts of desire, it is within my grasp! Yes!^_^

What kept you from getting one before, if I may ask?

48 minutes ago, Mesa the Ookla said:

Probably parents.

Mine still don't know :ph34r:

That makes sense. Sorry, I just got used to seeing kids on Facebook that it never crossed my mind that some parents might have problems with it. In any case, have fun with FB, @ShadowLord_Lith!

Edit: By kids on FB I only meant early teens--tons of them where I live-- though I do have a cousin who lets his 9-year-old son have an account.

Edited by skaa

1 hour ago, skaa said:

That makes sense. Sorry, I just got used to seeing kids on Facebook that it never crossed my mind that some parents might have problems with it. In any case, have fun with FB, @ShadowLord_Lith!

Edit: By kids on FB I only meant early teens--tons of them where I live-- though I do have a cousin who lets his 9-year-old son have an account.

I have a friend who lied about her age when she got an account. (You have to be thirteen.) So when her 15th birthday came around, I got a notification saying "Wish her a happy 18th birthday!"

7 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

Just picked up Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. The hype is so real right now.

Holy shirt! Good for you man! I sadly, only own a ps2 so I can only play the classics XD 

Rachet and clank

Sly cooper

Jak and daxter

Crash bandicoot

Spyro

Scaler

Beyond good and evil

Rayman

Duck those were the days

OMG SO GUYS

Today was the best. 

Went to go see Moana with my sister, which was a lot of fun. Movie was great, went in some game stores, got compliments on my new long coat. 

Went in a little tiny music store. Played some Dawes on a Washburn electric-acoustic, and the store owner recognized it, so we had a discussion about Dawes which was awesome; we got my sister a guitar for a Christmas present and I'm gonna teach her how to play.

Then I went to another game store and had a conversation about Sanderson with a clerk (because I asked about White Sand). She only knew him 'cause of Wheel of Time, so I recommended Stormlight and Mistborn

And then, AND THEN!!!

I went in my local Books-A-Million to see about AU, and the person who I asked about it is apparently the biggest Sanderfan in Kingsport (behind only yours truly) and has a Syl tattoo. Basically, I had the most animated conversation that I've had in a week, and made a new friend. She said she is on this site, so shout out to you, person! 

Here is the tattoo. I'm still freaking out about this, guys. Whew.

Spoiler

IMG_2413.JPG

So yeah. Very good day.

It was.

And as I followed her around trying to find AU, she mentioned Kingkiller Chronicle, and asked if I had heard of them, and when I told her I was halfway through WMF, she looked rather pleased. Then I mentioned how hype I am for the adaptations, and she said "It's being directed by" and I finished her sentence. And so on. Et cetera. So much in common it's not even funny. I have found my adult female bookstore-employee self.

I feel accomplished.

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

My dream will be fulfilled at some point this weekend or early weekday. I get to take an offspring to go see a STAR WARS movie at show. He only just discovered this epic after I bought ep 7 & we watched em all over 2 weeks. He's 9 & loved them

My offspring isn't quite old enough (he's about to turn 5), but I hope I get that chance too.

damnation i can't wait for that day to come 

When I find someone who is a sanderfan IRL

The closest was this girl across the road at the girls school that was reading warbreaker this one time at the station.

But she happened to be surrounded by a group of her friends so the bestbi could say was

WARbreaker spoilers

Spoiler

LIGHTSONG DIES!!!

I've been keeping a close eye on her since and I've never seen her reading another Sanderson book.

That sounds really creepy now.

Then this other timetime, right before I came here to Pakistan, there was this chick on the train reading fablehaven, and I was like "you should totally read Brandon Sanderson" and she sorta dug her face deeper into the book lol

Then this other time with the same girl. My mates and I were in the carriage. She was reading clockwork Prince and I was all surprised, I said she had no soul. So I told her that if I gave her my copy of WoK and she read it, she would redeem herself. 

I still need to give her my copy

The best news today!! I PASSED MY DIGITAL DESIGN CLASS.

This is the class that caused me to stay up until 6:30AM working on a project one night and 7AM another night, brought me to tears multiple times, and triggered my head cold that started last week. I presented my printed portfolio of a magazine article, a flyer, a business card, and a small book this evening, and my professor and his TA both gave me compliments and said they looked really nice. Thank Harmony I don't have to stress over that class anymore. *huge, relieved sigh*

43 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

damnation i can't wait for that day to come 

When I find someone who is a sanderfan IRL

The closest was this girl across the road at the girls school that was reading warbreaker this one time at the station.

But she happened to be surrounded by a group of her friends so the bestbi could say was

WARbreaker spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

LIGHTSONG DIES!!!

I've been keeping a close eye on her since and I've never seen her reading another Sanderson book.

That sounds really creepy now.

Then this other timetime, right before I came here to Pakistan, there was this chick on the train reading fablehaven, and I was like "you should totally read Brandon Sanderson" and she sorta dug her face deeper into the book lol

Then this other time with the same girl. My mates and I were in the carriage. She was reading clockwork Prince and I was all surprised, I said she had no soul. So I told her that if I gave her my copy of WoK and she read it, she would redeem herself. 

I still need to give her my copy

This warbreaker girl, go talk to her.