Hi, hello, hi!

So, as many of you may have noticed, the Reckoners' RPG Subforum (in the inactive rp Subforum) is a bit... Well, dead. And besides that, it has a very not-new-not-friendly kinda vibe to it, and uses an old style of RP that isn't really seen nowadays.

I don't intend on necroing the entire thing, no. But I did notice that ever since, there hasn't been any Reckonerverse RPs. I want to change that. Obviously, this could easily crash and burn (that's what happened to the previous Reckoners' RPG) but I want to try to change that.

I know there are a lot of RPs out there right now, and so that's partially why I'm not expecting a grand super success out of this, but I do want to see where people are at/how much people would be interested in this.

You may sign up here (just make a character sheet using the template below) or when the RP actually starts (I'm not picky if/when you join). Non epic characters (vanillas) are allowed. Epic powers shouldn't be too overpowered. That's all. 

Spoiler

Character sheet example:

Epic Name (if epic)

Real/Pre-calamity name:

Primary Power (if epic):  

Other powers (if epic):

Weakness (if epic):

Personality (highly encouraged):

Backstory (highly encouraged):

Are you struggling to figure out an idea for a character? Here is where you can find characters used in the Reckoners' RPG!

Finally, I'm going to put a note about epic powers and weaknesses. 

Spoiler

Note: power restrictions are as follows (same as Reckoners' RPG):

Teleportation is not allowed due to Canon statistics.

Time travel is also not allowed. It is simply too overpowered or too difficult to write and interact with.

Finally, try to make your characters weakness something that works, and that could happen. For instance, if your fire epic's weakness is his hair being cut, then that would lead to stupidly long hair and would just be weird to write. Or if your light epic's weakness is a lunar eclipse, then that's never going to happen in the RP and is basically the same as having no weakness.

So recap: no teleportation, time travel, or illogical weaknesses.

@Aeternum encouraged me to do this. If you have any questions, direct them to me (@Aeoryi) or to @Aeternum. Thank you!

When will this start? Maybe in two or three weeks, depending on overall preferences.

Approved Characters list:

https://www.17thshard.com/forums/topic/179822-a-new-reckoners-rp-signups-and-interest-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1694817

Edited by Aeoryi
Added A link to Approved Characters list

1 hour ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

i would be intrested. the only problem is that i have never read the books. i have read their coppermind pages but as we all know its not the same.

You've got some time to read them then! I doubt this will kick off for a while anyways.

I'm in! (for as long as I stay motivated)

Epic Name (if epic): Shakespeare

Real/Pre-calamity name: Clide Darren

Primary Power (if epic):  He can change his appearance to look like anyone he's seen

Other powers (if epic): He has a perfect memory and remembers every face he's seen

Weakness (if epic): eating biscuits makes him return to his original form and he’s unable to use his powers for a few hours after.

Personality (highly encouraged): He's always acting even when he isn't in a different form. Nobody fully understands him

Backstory (highly encouraged): He was a young actor whose parents died in an accident. He was working for the government as a spy when Calamity rose and gave him powers. He works for whoever pays him the most.

Edited by Lord Spirit

On 2/16/2024 at 6:30 AM, Lord Spirit said:

I'm in! (for as long as I stay motivated)

Epic Name (if epic): Shakespeare

Real/Pre-calamity name: Clide Darren

Primary Power (if epic):  He can change his appearance to look like anyone he's seen

Other powers (if epic): He has a perfect memory and remembers every face he's seen

Weakness (if epic): eating biscuits 

Personality (highly encouraged): He's always acting even when he isn't in a different form. Nobody fully understands him

Backstory (highly encouraged): He was a young actor whose parents died in an accident. He was working for the government as a spy when Calamity rose and gave him powers. 

Looks good!

On 2/16/2024 at 6:36 AM, TwinSouls said:

There’s no way I’m not doing this!!

It’ll be a bit before I come up with a character.

Take your time! If you want some examples of previously approved Epics, feel free to check here.

Currently we have a tentative location as Niagara Falls but we're open to suggestions. We're thinking somewhere around a large body of water.

I'll play. Few questions though: 

This is just low-structured rpg, right? like, no book full of special rules?

Are we playing as epic vs. reckoners, epics as good, and for that matter, what is the format of the adventure?

My character:

Spoiler

Epic Name: Lavoisier

Real/Pre-calamity name: Andrew Vinyl

Primary Power:  For those farmiliar with SA, Lavoisier can basically soulcast. He takes the molecules of something and reforms them into a different type of material. He is not bound to elements; he can form compounds. In addition, he is able to, as long as he understands the blueprints, able to create more complex items like a gun. However, the mose impressive feat of his is that he can do this subconsiously. For example, if you were to shoot him, the bullet would turn into air before it hit him.

Other powers: Naturally, as a side effect of his powers, some trace particles, such as extra electrons, are expelled from the substance. Lavoisier can collect these particles, which manifest as a ball of energy hovering at his side. He can control the ball, making it fly around, and explode on impact. The ball grows larger and more powerful the more he uses his powers.

Weakness: Lavoisier it mortally terrified of roller coasters. His weakness is triggered whenever he is in a moving car of some sort on tracks, like a train. It's most potent, however, when he is on a roller coaster. In addition, he can't change the materials of something that are part of such an object.

Personality: Andrew Vinyl is a quiet guy that doesn't much like using his powers. He does his best to help the Reckoners, and is indeed the leader of a cell out in Buffalo, NY. He doesn't use his powers unless he has to, because of what using them does to him. 

Backstory: When I first got my powers, I thirsted for blood. I killed my family, slaughtering my wife and kids without a second thought. Then I drank myself silly. When I woke up, it had passed and I saw what I had done. I swore to never use the powers again. I dedicated my life to fighting the epics, and now I lead a cell in Buffalo. The members don't know of my abilities, though I have had to use them a few times to get out of sticky situations.

13 hours ago, TheFrugalWizard said:

I'll play. Few questions though: 

This is just low-structured rpg, right? like, no book full of special rules?

Are we playing as epic vs. reckoners, epics as good, and for that matter, what is the format of the adventure?

My character:

Reveal hidden contents

Epic Name: Lavoisier

Real/Pre-calamity name: Andrew Vinyl

Primary Power:  For those farmiliar with SA, Lavoisier can basically soulcast. He takes the molecules of something and reforms them into a different type of material. He is not bound to elements; he can form compounds. In addition, he is able to, as long as he understands the blueprints, able to create more complex items like a gun. However, the mose impressive feat of his is that he can do this subconsiously. For example, if you were to shoot him, the bullet would turn into air before it hit him.

Other powers: Naturally, as a side effect of his powers, some trace particles, such as extra electrons, are expelled from the substance. Lavoisier can collect these particles, which manifest as a ball of energy hovering at his side. He can control the ball, making it fly around, and explode on impact. The ball grows larger and more powerful the more he uses his powers.

Weakness: Lavoisier it mortally terrified of roller coasters. His weakness is triggered whenever he is in a moving car of some sort on tracks, like a train. It's most potent, however, when he is on a roller coaster. In addition, he can't change the materials of something that are part of such an object.

Personality: Andrew Vinyl is a quiet guy that doesn't much like using his powers. He does his best to help the Reckoners, and is indeed the leader of a cell out in Buffalo, NY. He doesn't use his powers unless he has to, because of what using them does to him. 

Backstory: When I first got my powers, I thirsted for blood. I killed my family, slaughtering my wife and kids without a second thought. Then I drank myself silly. When I woke up, it had passed and I saw what I had done. I swore to never use the powers again. I dedicated my life to fighting the epics, and now I lead a cell in Buffalo. The members don't know of my abilities, though I have had to use them a few times to get out of sticky situations.

It's a free-form RP. General RP rules apply (no god-modding, OOC talk in quote boxes). As far as format for the adventure, we'll see how things turn out. Most likely factions vs factions and you'll be able to do whatever you want. There will likely be no set path.

As far as your character goes, is there a limit to what he can soulcast (i.e can he soulcast nuclear energy)? Weakness looks good!

10 hours ago, Aeternum said:

As far as your character goes, is there a limit to what he can soulcast (i.e can he soulcast nuclear energy)? Weakness looks good!

I will make a mass limit, probably around 400-500 g. In addition, things like nuclear energy, which are made of radioactive ions (I'll use Uranium as and example) have a significantly higher molar mass, i.e. atomic number. This means that soulcasting 20 g of say iron, which has a molar mass of 55.85 g/mol, would create about 4.69 g of Uranium. So, even if he soulcasted a full 500 g of iron into uranium, it would only create about 117.37 g of Uranium. 

Now, Uranium is not an extremley volitile substance when it comes down to it. However, upon reflection,  Lavoisier could create highly dangerous amounts of Plutionium or smililarly dangerous substances. I'll have Lavoisier just collect most of the extra radiation into his little trace particle power. Don't ask me how that works, this is an epic power and I'm using the defy physics card. 

Edited by TheFrugalWizard

On 2/22/2024 at 4:40 AM, TheFrugalWizard said:

I will make a mass limit, probably around 400-500 g. In addition, things like nuclear energy, which are made of radioactive ions (I'll use Uranium as and example) have a significantly higher molar mass, i.e. atomic number. This means that soulcasting 20 g of say iron, which has a molar mass of 55.85 g/mol, would create about 4.69 g of Uranium. So, even if he soulcasted a full 500 g of iron into uranium, it would only create about 117.37 g of Uranium. 

Now, Uranium is not an extremley volitile substance when it comes down to it. However, upon reflection,  Lavoisier could create highly dangerous amounts of Plutionium or smililarly dangerous substances. I'll have Lavoisier just collect most of the extra radiation into his little trace particle power. Don't ask me how that works, this is an epic power and I'm using the defy physics card. 

Alright that seems acceptable! It also gives me permission to pull my very powerful Epic over from the old Reckoners RPG... :D

2 minutes ago, TwinSouls said:

Can the epics have prime invincibilities?

Yup!

Spoiler

Epic Name: Phalanx

Real/Pre-calamity name: John Staunton

Primary Power: Creates shields in the air to prevent harm. The shields have an overlapping hexagonal pattern. (His powers reflexively activate if he could get hurt.

Other powers: increased dexterity and strength, Gifter.

Weakness: Dead human bones. (You can chuck a corpse at him, and that will work.) The older the bones, the more effectively disabled his abilities are.

Personality: Respectful, but firm. Reclusive and hates interaction with others. Rarely does jobs for anybody, but if convincing enough (and with enough money) he has done a few jobs. Generally avoids other Epics. After Calamity, he lives amongst the common people.

Backstory: was an explorer/historian in the US, but traveled all over the world as well. While exploring a cave in arches, he found a room full of human skulls, and they fell on him, nearly killing him. He studied wars among early human cultures, and knew a great deal about the Greek and Roman wars. He was a professor at a community high school, and generally told the students what to do, and ignored them, only occasionally actively helping teach. When he became Phalanx, John stayed in his house for months practicing, and ignoring anyone who came near.

I got it finished finally! :)

Edited by TwinSouls
Updating.

5 hours ago, TwinSouls said:

Hide contents

Epic Name: Phalanx

Real/Pre-calamity name: John Staunton

Primary Power: Creates shields in the air to prevent harm. The shields have an overlapping hexagonal pattern.

Other powers: increased dexterity and strength.

Weakness: human bones

Personality: Respectful, but firm. Reclusive and hates interaction with others.

Backstory: was an explorer/historian in the US, but traveled all over the world as well.While exploring a cave in arches, he found a room full of human skulls, and they fell on him, nearly killing him. He studied wars among early human cultures, and knew a great deal about the Greek and Roman wars

I got it finished finally! :)

Love the idea! :)

Just a couple questions - about the weakness, does that apply only to bones that are outside of a human body, dead people, or would an alive person affect him? Shield-wise, anything specific that can go through it, or does it block everything out? Any limits to how big of an area he can cover?

On 2/26/2024 at 1:33 PM, Aeternum said:

Love the idea! :)

Just a couple questions - about the weakness, does that apply only to bones that are outside of a human body, dead people, or would an alive person affect him? Shield-wise, anything specific that can go through it, or does it block everything out? Any limits to how big of an area he can cover?

Dead human bones. Sorry, should have specified. 

The shield blocks anything end everything, but I guess that some temperature (i.e. heat and cold) would get through. Just not enough to incapacitate him.

The shields are almost entirely limited to Phalanx himself. It can cover about a 2-10 feet dome around him. He can allow people through if he wants. More can get through depending on how large the shield is.

If he ‘Gifts’ the shield, it’s going to be a lot weaker, and it will only be one-sided.

the shields themselves have no mass whatsoever, and things will stick to them.

Edited by TwinSouls

4 hours ago, TwinSouls said:

Dead human bones. Sorry, should have specified. 

The shield blocks anything end everything, but I guess that some temperature (i.e. heat and cold) would get through.

The shields are almost entirely limited to Phalanx himself. It can cover about a 2-10 feet dome around him. He can allow people through if he wants. More can get through depending on how large the shield is.

If he ‘Gifts’ the shield, it’s going to be a lot weaker, and it will only be one-sided.

the shields themselves have no mass whatsoever, and things will stick to them.

Alright! So just to clarify then, is he a gifter? If so, you'll want to add that to your character sheet for future reference! At some point in the next few days I'll be putting together a list of everyone and their character sheets (I just need @Aeoryi's), just so there's a place where everyone can refer back to more easily! So far we've got 3 Epics, plus whoever Aeoryi comes up with, plus at least one from me. Hopefully we'll get a few more people :) 

13 minutes ago, Aeternum said:

Alright! So just to clarify then, is he a gifter? If so, you'll want to add that to your character sheet for future reference! At some point in the next few days I'll be putting together a list of everyone and their character sheets (I just need @Aeoryi's), just so there's a place where everyone can refer back to more easily! So far we've got 3 Epics, plus whoever Aeoryi comes up with, plus at least one from me. Hopefully we'll get a few more people :) 

i am still working on mine. i kind of want pyromancy. or something simuler to AonDor

24 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

During what in-universe time will this take place?

Before steelheart is killed, but several years after calamity rises. 

(Most of the RP will generally take place in the in-RP day)

On 2/26/2024 at 6:49 PM, Aeoryi said:

Before steelheart is killed, but several years after calamity rises. 

(Most of the RP will generally take place in the in-RP day)

Ok, thank you!

Here’s my character sheet:

Spoiler

Epic Name: Plastique

Real/Pre-calamity name: Ava Wilson

Primary Power: Plasticity. She can decrease the solidity of her body until she is a rather unflattering pile of goo. While in that form, she can recover from damage so long as she can maintain a large enough central mass or rejoin the smaller bits together quickly enough. This also allows her to fit through tight spaces (ex. under doors). She can choose for her attire to be absorbed into her blob form, and it reforms properly when she solidifies. Anything not considered “attire” can’t be absorbed but can be carried around. She can melt individual parts of her body if wanted (ex. melts everything but an arm to hold a gun while in blob form). When fully melted, she can have a general sense of where things are but not clear sight unless she doesn’t melt her eyes (this is where her enhanced reflexes would be handy). Unmelted body parts are more vulnerable and healing them requires absorbing roughly equivalent materials needed to reconstruct them while in blob form (ex. a human hand or chicken carcass to replace a lost hand). When fully blobbed, she can survive underwater indefinitely but can’t swim. Her speed when melted is the same as her unmelted form’s.

Other powers: She has enhanced reflexes, able to react to attacks quickly.

Weakness: Plastic explosives. They don’t need to be exploded, they just need to come into contact with her.

Personality: Contrary to her fluid physicality, she is incredibly stubborn. She is insecure about her looks (particularly her melted form), but confrontational to anyone who voices that same opinion. Her face is often caked with excessive makeup and her outfits are flashy. She adores attention. She isn’t particularly loyal and will follow whoever pays her the most. She has a soft spot for rodents.

Backstory: Ava was just about to graduate high school when she was given her powers. She had led a rather unremarkable life up until that point and was a rather unremarkable person. She wasn’t particularly pretty or popular, but she wasn’t ugly or an outcast either. Ava had never left her home state or had something she was especially passionate about. Now that she has become Plastique, she is determined to become someone of note who is worth remembering.

Edited by Lunamor
Updated primary power

13 hours ago, Aeternum said:

OK, I’ve updated the character sheet! :)

18 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

i am still working on mine. i kind of want pyromancy. or something simuler to AonDor

Alright! You're free to bounce ideas off of me or anyone else if you need any help figuring out specifics.

16 hours ago, Lunamor said:

Ok, thank you!

Here’s my character sheet:

Hide contents

Epic Name: Plastique

Real/Pre-calamity name: Ava Wilson

Primary Power: Plasticity. She can decrease the solidity of her body until she is a rather unflattering pile of goo. While in that form, she can recover from damage so long as she can maintain a large enough central mass or rejoin the smaller bits together quickly enough. This also allows her to fit through tight spaces (ex. under doors). 

Other powers: She has enhanced reflexes, able to react to attacks quickly.

Weakness: Plastic explosives. They don’t need to be exploded, they just need to come into contact with her.

Personality: Contrary to her fluid physicality, she is incredibly stubborn. She is insecure about her looks (particularly her melted form), but confrontational to anyone who voices that same opinion. Her face is often caked with excessive makeup and her outfits are flashy. She adores attention. She isn’t particularly loyal and will follow whoever pays her the most. She has a soft spot for rodents.

Backstory: Ava was just about to graduate high school when she was given her powers. She had led a rather unremarkable life up until that point and was a rather unremarkable person. She wasn’t particularly pretty or popular, but she wasn’t ugly or an outcast either. Ava had never left her home state or had something she was especially passionate about. Now that she has become Plastique, she is determined to become someone of note who is worth remembering.

Looks good!

2 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

I might want to join this...

What idea do we have for plot? Would we have a team of Reckoners trying to kill Epics, or something else?

Most likely it will be factions vs factions. There's no set path really. I figured it would be like the old Reckoners RPG, though!

2 hours ago, TwinSouls said:

Where/what is the name of the city this takes place in? What was it originally? 

We haven't really picked a location yet. Likely somewhere around the Niagara Falls area because my Epic will need to be around a large body of water (I'll finish and send my character sheet soon, I promise). Open to suggestions.