Issues after 2023 site upgrade

Paleo

2 minutes ago, Aeoryi said:

If I may ask, why must I now wait 30 seconds after I mistype something into the search bar? Why is that a feature?

This should not be the case, and was not the case when I looked at the setting. I switched it to something else and then set it back. How about now? Members should have unlimited search quota. Perhaps some upgrade weirdness with settings.

The answer to why that's a thing is because searching so much content is expensive on the server. 

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This should not be the case, and was not the case when I looked at the setting. I switched it to something else and then set it back. How about now? Members should have unlimited search quota. Perhaps some upgrade weirdness with settings.

The answer to why that's a thing is because searching so much content is expensive on the server. 

Okay yeah it's fixed. Kinda a dumb feature in the first place but I can see how much mass searching would take up. Thanks!

On 10/23/2023 at 7:43 PM, Chaos said:

Fascinating. We will look into it. If anyone else has this problem, do please let us know! 

Any updates to this? I was trying to make my Member Title be my old username to make Ookla Season as painless as possible, but it still won't let me change it.

5 hours ago, Ookla the Destined said:

Any updates to this? I was trying to make my Member Title be my old username to make Ookla Season as painless as possible, but it still won't let me change it.

No idea, and there has been no other people who have reproduced it, so it is hard to say.

38 minutes ago, Chaos said:

No idea, and there has been no other people who have reproduced it, so it is hard to say.

I know @Archer (now an Ookla) at least was able to change his member title so it’s not a site-wide problem. It’s a problem for me on all browsers and on mobile so I assume it’s a problem with my account specifically. I guess you wouldn’t know how to fix that. Still, though, any ideas would be appreciated… maybe the error code is useful? Not sure what the use of those is.

• 3 weeks later...

Something I had not noticed before, and didn't see mentioned here (but may have missed), but I noticed for new user WhisperofWit the post count is actually showing the Rep count on their profile (at least it shows 2 posts - but "see activity" shows way more than 2 posts). Is this a thing? Possibly only for new users posting a lot on their first day? Or, maybe, does the post count aggregate and update only once per day?

Also, re-mentioning this:

Spoiler

On 10/24/2023 at 10:13 PM, Treamayne said:

I cannot emphasize how much I hate the lack of a hover delay on the "Shardcast" and "More" menus - this pop-up bites me multiple times an hour and I constantly have to browser-back-button, move-the-mouse, wait-for-it-to-hide-itself, try-clicking-again - all because every time I switch pages it moves to top of the page, and the Shardcast happens to line up with the navigation list (clicking on the bolded example below opens the stupid menu around 90% of the time in my experience so far):

So, after more than six weeks, this is still my number one problem. I had hoped I would adjust, but man is it still causing problems e v e r y day. Multiples times per day.

I get that different people have different workflows, but please consider at least a 1 second hover delay for this menu (assuming it's possible). 

3 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Something I had not noticed before, and didn't see mentioned here (but may have missed), but I noticed for new user WhisperofWit the post count is actually showing the Rep count on their profile (at least it shows 2 posts - but "see activity" shows way more than 2 posts). Is this a thing? Possibly only for new users posting a lot on their first day? Or, maybe, does the post count aggregate and update only once per day?

Also, re-mentioning this:

Reveal hidden contents

So, after more than six weeks, this is still my number one problem. I had hoped I would adjust, but man is it still causing problems e v e r y day. Multiples times per day.

I get that different people have different workflows, but please consider at least a 1 second hover delay for this menu (assuming it's possible). 

I can answer this one.

This is because of the wonky way posts vs content works on the Shard. only things outside of forum games and random stuff count as official posts, including FGaRs stuff is called content then, right? Wrong, actually. When in the leaderboards, content is the stuff outside of FGaRS. Posts is the stuff including FGaRS. Or, that's what I think it is... I've seen no evidence otherwise.

I would like to see a sort of uniformity on terms such as this be introduced on the Shard more in regards to the leaderboards and this, but I know it wouldn't be high priority in any way.

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Black Sock said:

This is because of the wonky way posts vs content works on the Shard. only things outside of forum games and random stuff count as official posts, including FGaRs stuff is called content then, right? Wrong, actually. When in the leaderboards, content is the stuff outside of FGaRS. Posts is the stuff including FGaRS. Or, that's what I think it is... I've seen no evidence otherwise.

So Community posts count, unless they are in Forum games? And it was just coincidence that the user happened to have 2 Rep and 2 posts outside of FGaRS?

Danke mucho

I've been having the problem, and I think many others have too, where posting on SUs and PMs doesn't always visually work, even if it does post. On normal threads it also sometimes just loads I'll and doesn't post, and if you aren't careful the part can disappear. I don't know if this is fixable, but it can be frustrating.

16 hours ago, Ookla the Abstract said:

I've been having the problem, and I think many others have too, where posting on SUs and PMs doesn't always visually work, even if it does post. On normal threads it also sometimes just loads I'll and doesn't post, and if you aren't careful the part can disappear. I don't know if this is fixable, but it can be frustrating.

Known issue, but seems to be just a software bug rather than our customizations. I haven't experienced it in normal threads. Not sure how to fix it but I absolutely agree it's frustrating and not how it should be.

11 hours ago, Coolmint said:

The selection for font size disappeared, then appeared, now is gone again.

This should only vary depending on your device's viewport. It indeed is not present on the mobile editor toolbar. But on wider view ports (even landscape) it does appear, should you need it. Do you often need it?

Hello! I used to have "[Redacted]" as my username, but after Ookla season it isn't letting me change it back to that, despite saying that I can still change it one more time in this 90 day period. Does it have something to do with the update? Is there any way to change it back? 

Edited by Ookla the Erased

4 hours ago, Ookla the Erased said:

Hello! I used to have "[Redacted]" as my username, but after Ookla season it isn't letting me change it back to that, despite saying that I can still change it one more time in this 90 day period. Does it have something to due with the update? Is there any way to change it back? 

Those special characters are no longer allowed in usernames, sorry!

39 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Those special characters are no longer allowed in usernames, sorry!

What sort of special characters specifically are not allowed, or is it just all of them? Or, rather, which ones are allowed? I find it interesting that some are not allowed anymore.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Erased said:

I've had this username for nearly my entire time on the shard and it's how most people know me, so if there's any way to restore it to that from your end that would be awesome!

You could probably go with just Redacted or REDACTED to have a very similar effect.