Combined shard names.

1 hour ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

This is such a great concept, I love it a lot. No questions or nitpicks this time, it's just a really cool world :D 

Didn't you say there was gonna be a magic system?

Also, would it be accurate to your vision for this world if Passion + Whimsy = Hedonism?

This one was particularly creative and honestly, I don't see how no one else has thought of this before. Absolutely amazing, unquestionably flawless worldbuilding and logic, I liked the culture and uniqueness of it especially. To be frank, I think we've peaked with this one. You just can't do better than this. Take my rep, you've genuinely earned it.

The magic system was mostly the subconscious warping of ones body, and by me actually having ideas for the allomantic and feruchemical uses . But I could try to make an expanded one if I feel like it. 

Hedonism would be accurate, but also not really capture the entire scope of the Shard. But none of the Shard names really capture their full complexity, just hints of it. Like how Honor also is about natural laws and physical and metaphysical binding. Or Ruin is about entropy and inevitable decay and the concept of finality, rather than just destruction. Or how Odium is far more than just hatred. Or how Preservation is about stasis and the status quo, even if said status quo is inherently destructive and malignant. Or whatever is going on with Autonomy.  

I didn't forget about you! Now I can finally read about your creation in peace and dissect it deeply.

On 9.08.2023 at 11:03 PM, Firesong said:

It notably has a much smaller moon of its own, which is 20-27km in radius. It orbits the moon around 9 times per orbit of the moon around the planet. This is kept stable by the Shard herself. As it would not be able to remain stable without Shardic interference. This secondary moon actually was rouge and passed by the system and was caught by the moon by coincidence. The Shard just thought it was pretty and didn't want to lose it, so she uses her powers to keep the system stable. 

Actually you don't need Shard's power to keep it stable. It is stable. The sub-moon orbits your moon at around 17000 km, while your moon's Hill Sphere (a region in which a moon can have its own moon) is up to 50000 km. Your sub-moon is fully stable once caught. She could catch it when it came, but once caught it will stay like this for a loooong time.

Clothing:

Hide contents

They do not believe that one needs to wear a shirt in public, not thinking that one has to cover their top. But they do have clothing that covers it if anyone wants to wear it. So this comes down to personal preference of the individual. 

However, they do say that you have to cover your bottom with a skirt or pants. Not doing so would have you looked down on by society. 

Many women have this like, crop-top like top (but a bit fancier than a crop top) to reveal their stomach if they feel especially proud of their appearance, or of their body paint, but don't feel comfortable without a cover. 

What about protective clothing? Like during winter or summer? Are they walking top naked during winter if they want because I'm getting cold just thinking about it?

Government:

Hide contents

Due to the influence of Whimsy, they do not have any organized governments, instead being communes led by the collective will of the people, and it is still rather peaceful and organized. Laws are mostly dictated by public morality than any formal written system. 

People:

Hide contents

They are noticeably shorter than the average inhabitant of the cosmere, despite the slightly higher gravity. 

They are Invested with a surprisingly large amount of Investiture from Passion. More than Nalthians, and this causes a big increase in how intensely they experience emotions. It also gives them a special trait, where their body and mind are actually warped if an emotion or ideal becomes strong enough. This means if you fall too deeply into an abyss of a certain emotion, it can completely consume your body and mind. 

For example, one obsessed with their own appearance in a narcissistic manner: if they feel this narcissism intensely enough, it would begin feeding into itself, causing it to grow more and more intense, and the Investiture would start to cause changes to the body that make one look more and more attractive to fit the way they see themselves, which feeds into it more. To the extent they would wind up unable to look away from the mirror (like Narcissus himself) and eventually starve to death. 

Luckily, these instances are rather rare, as they only happen when one feels emotions so intensely and in such an all-consuming way, that it is extreme even compared to their already extreme emotional average. 

That's interesting but this combination of moral laws and being consumed by emotions is concerning. Wouldn't that mean that if a person gets consumed by anger, or other negative emotions, he could potentially caused the same to happen with others and then the majority of this community will be raging with fury, which would shift their morality and they would become an angry mob giving harsh punishments for something that shouldn't be even considered punishable? Like turning lights on in the middle of the night? But that's a big extreme, on the lower end there is a possibility that many people will get strongly influenced by certain emotions changing their view and judgment. I find this combination to be very interesting.

The metal feels warm to the touch, as it isn't completely stable and converts a very small amount of itself into heat and light. This is so little that the half-life is in the trillions of years, and it is found to not give off any ionizing radiation. The heat is not enough that it hurts to touch, the heat is actually rather nice and comfortable. 

I think if your metal is noticeably warm to touch its half-life definitely shouldn't be in trillions of years. It would not be measurable. Natural uranium isn't warm to touch and its half-live is only in billions of years. For comparison Pu-238 is used as a heat source because its half-life is just 87 years, and it can reach such temperature to glow red. Ra-226 with a half life of ~1600 years is just a few degrees warmer than the surrounding, almost not noticeable. Of course investiture changes the equation a bit but trillions of years is mind-bogglingly long, far too long for it to be noticeable warm.

Allomancy:

Hide contents

It is basically an internal form of zinc, it strongly inflames ones own emotions. Making them far stronger. This only effects one's self. Savants in the metal would be able to finely control what emotions they want to enhance. 

It also strengthens Connection with other people. If burned with Duralumin, this can strengthen Connection to such a degree that it briefly becomes visible in the Physical Realm. 

Due to the euphoria that it can bring, it is a rather addicting metal to burn, as people want to feel the intense emotions that it gives, and can become obsessed. Which makes Savanthood rather common amongst those with a supply of the metal, as they constantly flare it. 

Feruchemy:

Hide contents

You are able to store ones own emotions into the metal, leaving one numb to emotions, like what Odium does to his followers. When one taps into it, they can briefly feel a burst of much more intense emotion. 

Just like the Allomantic form, it also deals with Connection. Thus it lessens how close you feel with people around you as it stores your Connection with them. 

I like it. Did you think about the Hemalurgic effect?

Overall this world sounds quite interesting, I like how expressive they are and the concept of being consumed by their own emotions. That can lead to many interesting stories.

Bonus World:

Adonalsium 2:

Hide contents

I am a stick:

Hide contents

I am a stick:

Hide contents

I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick

I am a stick:

Hide contents

I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick

I am a stick:

Hide contents

I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick? I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick! I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick I am a stick. 

Another one? You're spoiling us! This was deep. I've finally understood the full scale of the tragedy of the Shattering! If only he wasn't Shattered we would have this beautiful world full of those extremely intelligent, almost divine beings like you've described. Such a loss :( 

On 10.08.2023 at 2:57 AM, Firesong said:

Hedonism would be accurate, but also not really capture the entire scope of the Shard. But none of the Shard names really capture their full complexity, just hints of it. Like how Honor also is about natural laws and physical and metaphysical binding. Or Ruin is about entropy and inevitable decay and the concept of finality, rather than just destruction. Or how Odium is far more than just hatred. Or how Preservation is about stasis and the status quo, even if said status quo is inherently destructive and malignant. Or whatever is going on with Autonomy.  

I would argue that this is because of Vessel’s interpretation of Shard's intent that influences what those Shards are about. We have it confirmed in the case of Ruin - Ati found the interpretation of its intent that binds it to be about entropy, a natural part of the world, not pure ruin. Odium tried to do the same with Passion but on a far greater scale. You could do the same, intent that doesn't represent the full scale of the Shard because a Vessel is influencing it. 

I have an announcement to make. I'm working on my new world. For weeks I was toying with the idea of a rogue planet (a planet without any star, ejected from the system) but couldn't make it habitable. But yesterday I got a surge of inspiration and suddenly a picture fell into my mind. Everything is developing quite naturally (even magic) so far so I may be able to create this world after all. It won't be like my previous two worlds, not a hellish landscape that is somehow habitable (it should be the worst place to live on but I've found a way) and I have quite a few interesting ideas about the ecology of this planet. For now this is all in the form of an incoherent mess of notes written half in English, half in Polish (I literally have sentences where every second word is in English) so I have to start organizing them and make something out of this idea when it's still fresh in my mind.

1 minute ago, alder24 said:

I didn't forget about you! Now I can finally read about your creation in peace and dissect it deeply.

What about protective clothing? Like during winter or summer? Are they walking top naked during winter if they want because I'm getting cold just thinking about it?

I think if your metal is noticeably warm to touch its half-life definitely shouldn't be in trillions of years. It would not be measurable. Natural uranium isn't warm to touch and its half-live is only in billions of years. For comparison Pu-238 is used as a heat source because its half-life is just 87 years, and it can reach such temperature to glow red. Ra-226 with a half life of ~1600 years is just a few degrees warmer than the surrounding, almost not noticeable. Of course investiture changes the equation a bit but trillions of years is mind-bogglingly long, far too long for it to be noticeable warm.

I like it. Did you think about the Hemalurgic effect?

On that, they do wear it when it gets overly cold, yes. It isn't that they avoid it or don't have the tech for it. They do wear it when it is needed for protection. Also, most live in the tropics so it is usually rather warm. 

And on the metal, it is very different from how Uranium and such works, the metal isn't normal radiation, it just turns itself directly into heat. So it is a very different situation, because, yes, it would be a lot shorter if it was normal radiation like Uranium. But Trillions is definitely a bit too much, yeah. 

Maybe Hemalurgic effect would be somewhat like what happened to Parshmen? Like, it really screws up your your emotions and connection to others. But probably not as extreme in the effects on ones ability to understand their surroundings. But enough that it leaves one emotionally numb and can steal their Connection. 

On 7/12/2023 at 6:12 PM, Firesong said:

We at least know that Honor + Odium is War. But not so sure about Cultivation + Honor being Tower, the name for that moreso came from it being associated with the Sibling, instead of that being the name of the combination. 

Civilization for honor +cultivation

Domination +devotion =authority 

Power  Is the ultimate sign that 1 has been chosen for leadership authority.  The power is pass from one individual to the next When the original holder of the power dies Retires that power is past To another who resumes his position of leadership and authority. 

Think of a system similar to the avatar cycle but without reading carnation.  The power is only held by a handful of various leaders but they are overwhelmingly Invested.

Odium + cultivation = freedom: 

This power focuses on losing control.  On being overcome by your emotions and passions. The stronger your passions and emotions Or investiture you  Can access.  It favors people that are intuitive or impulsive. Do things out of instinct rather than rules are laws.

Honor +cultivation =civilization.    Civilization space magics systems are about learning laws and rules and developing skills and how to learn those world rules. Such as learning specific combinations of letters and words,  Or tones to summon  Investiture,  Or the right combination of chemicals. It tends to favor magic systems not unlike aon door,  Though usually less complex,  And easier to access Without regional divides. 

It centers on learning what inputs produce what outputs.

Valor +honor =  chivalry? 

Very similar to the rosharon system but Magic users swear oaths to Do various dangerous or difficult tasks. The more difficult the task or roll The higher amount of investiture  Think of the 10 labors of Hercules for examples. 

Odium + devotion = obsession. 

Magic users of this shard  Will often become obsessed with performing specific actions, What those actions are will depend of course on the individual magic system. Some Magic systems may make their users obsessively clean, Others may turn them into arsonist.

Edited by bmcclure7

On 7/8/2023 at 11:13 PM, JustQuestin2004 said:

Hmmm, I wonder what would come about if Dominion and Autonomy were merged?

It's been shown that even shards with opposite Intents can be merged and Autonomy is a total control freak.

I honestly don't know what you would even call that.

Maybe conquest?

I've compleated the new world of Esma, Inhabited by the Shard of Progression:

General description:

Spoiler

The planet of Esma has the radius of 1.2 Cosmere Standard and the surface gravity of 0.82 Cosmere Standard. Esma is a rogue planet - it means that it travels through Cosmere without any companion, not even a star. Because of that this planet is frozen solid - even what once was its atmosphere had frozen and fell as nitrogen and oxygen snow, creating a thick layer of ice on its surface. Because how hostile this place is, nobody would expect it to harbor life of any kind - and yet life thrives on Esma. This is because this planet is inhabited by the Shard of Progression, which is a combination of Cultivation and Invention. Its Vessel is named Esma, just like the planet, and she was a Sho-Del. The planet is inhabited by Sho-Del and Fainlife.

Flora:

Spoiler

Neruna-Kai (The Mother Tree):

Spoiler

To explain why this planet can be habitable at all, we must first look at the biggest wonder of Esma  - Mother Trees, which are called Neruna-Kai. The Mother Tree is a giant, pale white tree, reaching hundreds of meters, or even kilometers, into the sky. It’s not only tall but also wide, its trunk is massively thick and its branches stretched out over enormous regions. While the image of Neruna-Kai is impressive on its own, the most important part of this tree is its heart - this tree has a literal heart placed in some sort of natural basket made out of branches, high in a place where its trunk ends spreading into numerous branches. The heart is massive and it contains an orange fluid inside of a translucent membrane - liquid investiture of Progression. The liquid is called An-Neruna. This liquid flows inside veins of every part of the tree, from roots, through branches to every white leaf, which embellishes its natural pale white color with an orange net, pulsing with an intense glow. The heart itself also slowly beats, and the change in intensity of the light corresponds to the heartbeats. 

Neruna-Kai and An-Neruna are the reasons why everything can live on this planet. They create light of their own, orange in color, and emanate heat, as well as they are able to make their own atmosphere which is pressurized in a valley of tens or even hundreds of kilometers in radius. Neruna-Kai is even able to create its own magnetic field, strong enough to protect itself from cosmic radiation. 

Roots of Neruna-Kai are even more massive - they reach dozens of kilometers deep, until eventually they break through the ground into subsurface liquid oceans of water, kept in that state by heat of the planet’s core. This creates the cycle of water which nourishes the entire pressurized area - the water is sucked from the ground and subsurface oceans, and later slowly evaporates from tree’s leafs, creating clouds and rain which allows other plants to grow in this area surrounding the Mother Tree. Roots are however another wonder, as their veins are made out of physical alloys of Progression’s god metal, Esmium (or Su-Neruna called locally). 

Esmium naturally forms as alloys of all 16 base metals. This is important as this is the natural manifestation of one of three invested arts present on Esma. Those metal veins create some sorts of thin glass-like bubbles with something trapped inside of it, from which veins of this metal propagate to the surrounding area - for example an alloy of Esmium and iron forming a bubble with air in it - this creates an area of effect propagated by veins spreading from this bubble, that attracts the air to it. Adding Esmium-brass alloy to this bubble will heat up the air affected by it, add Esmium-duralumin-iron alloy and it will pressurize the air. Every alloy has a different effect but those can be mixed in a bubble combining those effects together - the larger the bubble, the further away can its veins be spread, and the larger the area of effect - this is how Neruna-Kai sustains this massive environment on this inhospitable planet. The liquid investiture, An-Neruna, flows through those Esmium-alloy veins but not in empty spaces inside, but rather inside the physical walls of those veins - because every Esmium-alloy looks like a glass, this makes and impression that An-Neruna flows on the surface of veins. You just feel like you should be able to touch it, take it and feel it - but you only hit a solid wall of Esmium-alloys. All of this amazing art is hidden inside the wooden roots of Neruna-Kai.

Neruna-Kai lives for thousands of years, but ultimately it will die, dooming the entire ecosystem which lives under it. However Neruna-Kai will create its offspring, which are even more fascinating than the Mother Tree itself. Once every few hundred years, an outgrowth will appear low on its main trunk. This will change into a new, much much smaller heart, from which a new tree will spawn. After dozens of years this tree will ultimately grow as big as “regular” trees, and it will separate itself from the Mother Tree. Thus the Sapling is born, named Neruna-Nu. The bark of the Sapling becomes very sticky, so numerous seeds can latch to it. The most fascinating part of it is that the Sapling will start moving away from the Mother Tree, as it is walking on its own roots. It moves with a speed of dozens of kilometers per week. Eventually it will reach the end of the atmosphere pressurized by the Mother Tree and exit it, taking a small part of its mother’s atmosphere with it. The Sapling ventures into a desolate and frozen wasteland but surprisingly it will start growing even more rapidly than before, melting ice on its way, capturing nutrients frozen in it. After tens of years it will finally find a suitable place and root itself deeply into the ground, becoming a new Mother Tree, which will support its own ecosystem in its own valley. At this point it will dump its bark on the ground and start growing a new one. 

To this cycle every living organism is synchronized. When the Sapling is separated the entire nature changes and blossoms like on some unspoken command. They fill the air with their seeds which will latch onto the sticky bark of young Neruna-Nu and travel with it into a new place, when they will be dumped and reawakened, finally growing and restarting the ecosystem. Animals also engage into a mating season, giving birth to new offspring that will venture with the Sapling to create a new heaven on this frozen planet.

Anokap:

Spoiler

Neruna-Kai and Neruna-Nu aren’t the only trees growing on this planet. There is one more. It's Anokap - a clonal organism spreading under the Mother Tree. Every single tree is a copy of the same tree - they are all the same organism. They are all connected through roots and grow up from them. They’re roots are shallow, spreading widely over the entire pressurized area until they all cover the ground with their own shadow. Anokap are much, much smaller than Neruna-Kai, reaching only around 50 meters high, but are white as bone too. However  their leaves faintly glow in reddish color. They produce seedless fruits, which are sweet and juicy, and pale gold in coloration. When Neruna-Nu is born, they all blossom with beautiful golden bell flowers, filling the air with little golden pollen. Eventually the flowers turn into seeds with a little wing-like membrane and get picked up by the wind filling the air once more - many of them will reach Neruna-Nu and get stuck to its bark.

Esnera:

Spoiler

The ground is covered by a white moss, covered with little pink dots, named Esnera. Through it many different flowers, grass or small bushes grow, covering the ground with a colorful and comfy rug. Moss itself doesn't blossom, but when the Sapling starts venturing, it will latch itself onto its roots and bark, and grow rapidly on the tree and ground it travels through, providing a food source for many animals that go with it. 

Darkana:

Spoiler

Darkana is a head-sized flower that looks more like a jellyfish than a plant. It floats in the air by puffing itself up, turning green, then pushing the air out in a downward direction, turning purple. This makes it fly up. Then it slowly glides through the air until it puffs up again. Darkana blossoms once in the year with lily-like flowers in rainbow coloration, growing from its top. Those flowers break free after one day and fall to the ground - from them new Darkanas will start growing and rising into the air.

Fauna:

Spoiler

Esma’s fauna is also uniquely beautiful and fascinating. All animals are white with colorful stripes, dots or stains on their skin. Many even glow with their own light. All of them also have naturally red iris in their eyes. They are fainlife, therefore they all have 6 limbs or more. There are no carnivorous species living on this planet.

Nayana the Protector:

Spoiler

I cannot start anywhere else than from the most impressive animal species found on Esma. Her name is Nayana the Protector, and she is a sapient animal of incredible intelligence. Nayana is a giant 6 winged moth-like creature, with 6 legs and 6 antennas on her head of various lengths. Her main body is as large as 2 men height but her wings and legs make her enormous compared to the human body. Nayana lives in solitude, with no partner - the entire species is composed of only female individuals. However she forms a deep spiritual Connection with Neruna-Kai, on top of which she builds her nest. Nayana lives as long as Neruna-Kai she is bonded with. 

Nayana’s appearance is angelically beautiful - she is shimmering with thousands of shades of chosen color. Her coloration changes depending on her emotions and well-being, similarly to Naltian Royal Lock - when she’s yellow - she is happy, when red - she is angry, when white - she is ill. Of course she can feel many emotions at once, and thus her skin and wings are covered with beautiful ever-changing patterns of colors of thousands shades. Ends of her antennas are also glowing in different colors. She looks truely hypnotic. 

The other aspect of Nayana is her voice - she is the only animal species on Esma that has a voice. She sings constantly, uninterruptedly, a beautiful song in a pure tone of Progression. Her song echoes throughout the entire valley and dictates the time of day and activity of animals. Songs of different Nayanas living with different Mother Trees are slightly different but still are in the same tone of Progression. What’s even more fascinating is that every heartbeat of every animal species living under Neruna-Kai is synchronized with a single note coming rhythmically from Nayana’s song - even the heart Neruna-Kai itself is beating to one of her notes. 

The lives of Nayana and her Neruna-Kai are deeply connected. When one of them falls ill, the other suffers through illness as well. When one of them gets wounded, the other bleeds as well. When one of them dies, the other follows shortly after. However when Neruna-Kai spawns Neruna-Nu, Nayana will descend to lay eggs in young Neruna-Nu - during its voyage one of eggs will hatch, giving birth to young larva, named Nayana-Nu, which skin is spotted with constantly changing rainbow patterns as it cannot control its own coloration yet. After the tree roots itself in the ground, Neruna-Nu will form a white chrysalis and emerge as a fully grown Nayana, bonding herself with the tree and becoming its protector. Those eggs that didn’t hatch die shortly after the bonding. However Sho Del learn to take those eggs, care for them and in the event of Nayana’s death, they will plant one of them in her empty nest - in 1 out of 3 cases the egg will hatch, creating a new larva that will form a new bond with dying Neruna-Kai and thus saving its life and preserving the ecosystem.

But the wonders of Nayana don’t stop here. As the Protector of Neruna-Kai she is blessed with invested art that none besides her can possess. She uses it to protect her Neruna-Kai from every danger. She harshly judges Sho Del living under its light, and if they hurt her tree, she might even expel all of them without exception. After such banishment she can allow another group of Sho Del to settle under Neruna-Kai but they have to pass her rigorous judgment - it is said that she can peer directly into people’s hearts and see their true nature. She can punish misbehaving individuals or even attack hostile or aggressive groups. You don’t want to see her in red. 

Her magic manifests with her constant singing - by changing the pitch of her song, she can summon a desired effect. She is able to create a blinding flash of light, sometimes even so powerful that it will ignite clothes of her targets or other flammable things (but she can extinguish flames with a few flaps of her massive wings). Her magic allows her also to heal people which she chooses, which happens rarely. Even more unlikely is that she will bestow a vision of the future to a person she deemed worthy. Both healing and future visions are never granted to people who ask or beg for it, she ignores every plea even if this could save an innocent life. She doesn’t grant this gift to outworlders - however I know one non-native individual who was granted the gift of the future vision - Hoid - I still can’t understand how he managed to get that. In some extremely rare cases she can speak directly to the mind of a chosen person, however this happens statistically less than once in her lifetime, and something very serious or wrong must be happening to force her to do that.

Kasmon:

Spoiler

Kasmon is a moose-like animal. He is white in appearance with blue spots all over his body and like every other animal has a red iris. He has six legs, two pairs of frontal legs and one pair of back ones, and a long and puffy tail with white-blue hair. He also has almost no neck - his head grows directly from his torso. He has two sets of giant antlers - one pointing horizontally forward, other vertically upwards. Both sets of antlers gently glow blue. He lives very long, for four, sometimes even six hundred years. They form lifelong partnerships between male and female specimens. 

Daloita:

Spoiler

Daloita is a whole family of small critters. They have a pair of frontal legs and two pairs of strong, jumpy back legs, and long pointy ears. Their main body is fully white but what distinguishes them is the plume that grows on their back. Every different species has a plume of different shape and color. Some are soft, some are hard and stiff, some are light, some are heavy, some glow, some not - it’s truly diverse. They live in large families and can interbreed between different species, creating offspring with even weirder plumes. They create large borrows in the ground where they live and express territorial behavior - not violent however, the contest is a fashion show when they present their plums to the “invading” family and a family with the best plums wins over this territory. How they determine “the best” plume is unknown. 

Spoiler

Inspired by sea slugs:

Spoiler

Sea Sheep? This Adorable Sea Slug Eats So Much Algae It Can Photosynthesize  | Bored Panda

Asmond:

Spoiler

Asmond can be translated to “birds’. There are numerous different bird species on Esma. They have two pairs of wings. They vary in sizes and coloration. They all however create their nests on the Neruna-Kai, nowhere else.

Tarosa:

Spoiler

Tarosa is the only fully black animal living on Esma, and the only animal that never goes out onto its surface. They live deep inside the ground digging a long network of tunnels. This is also the only animal that goes outside valleys’ borders created by Neruna-Kai - it can dig through the ice, somehow isolated from deadly temperatures by their thick layer of fur and shell. They’re shaped like a ball with six frontal legs equipped with long and thick claws ideal for digging. Despite their lonely underground life, their tunnel network serves Neruna-Nu well, as its roots use them during its journey to move easily through ice. 

Samera:

Spoiler

Samera is another interesting animal - it looks like a weird combination of giraffe and sloth, which lives among the branches of Anokap feeding on its leaves and fruits. They have two pairs of grabby frontal limbs with opposable thumbs, a pair of back legs, and three tails. They are as tall as a human with their neck being the majority of their height with green straight stripes covering their limbs and tails. To their head is attached a collar, as long as their neck is. This collar is usually folded on the neck. However the most fascinating thing about Samera is that they can create visions of people’s deepest desires. Once in a while a person walking through Anokap forest will draw the attention of one of Samera and it will drop its head on its long neck upside down. Its collar will open, stretching almost 1.5 meters in radius, with colorful, glowing, circular patterns, mesmerizing in a way that cannot be described with words. This will somehow induce a short vision in this person’s mind of their deepest desires, giving them a strong dose of endorphins. After they wake up, Samara is nowhere to be found, eating leaves in branches of Anokap. Samera gains nothing from it, that’s why this ability to create visions and this behavior is so baffling. 

Sho Del:

Spoiler

Sho Del are living with nature in harmony and symbiosis. They build their towns and cities usually right underneath Neruna-Kai, among its uncovered huge roots. To properly describe their society we need to first look into two forms of invested arts they have access to. The first one happens when Sho Del drinks liquid investiture of Neruna-Kai - this allows them to induce and lead growth of plants they choose, including Neruna-Kai. This is in many ways similar to the Surge of Progression of Roshar - but it cannot affect people or animals. The second one was already described - it uses Esmium alloys and Neruna-Kai’s hearts filled with An-Neruna, orange liquid investiture. This allows them to create advanced modern technology. By copying mechanisms hidden in Neruna-Kai’s roots, they can make habitats outside of valleys of Neruna-Kai, in the frozen wastelands. However they aren’t that popular and Sho Del prefer to live among nature, close to Neruna-Kai. The details of this invested art will be explained further down.

Knowing this I can explain their architecture and culture. Esmians don’t just build their cities below Neruna-Kai, they grow them out of its roots and trunk, creating buildings, parks and pathways out of Neruna-Kai’s wood. For most structures they use roots as a source, because roots contain Su-Neruna, Esmium alloys and bubbles, and they can induce its growth and include veins of metals running through walls and giving light, bubbles of brass alloy giving warmth, or even rooms filled with water attracted by Esmium-iron bubble - with no doors, just a wall of water through which you walk. 

However they don’t just grow houses whenever they want - they have a special ceremony (Nasana-Una) for that - once a year they gather together to dance and celebrate, on the anniversary of Neruna-Kai settling and rooting (this day is named Nasana-Una). During this time they all drink An-Neruna and together they start to grow new sections of their city, new homes, or modify already existing buildings. Thanks to their cultural traditions they have very strict rules regarding what can be placed in their city - no building or structure that wasn’t grown from Neruna-Kai can’t be inside the perimeter of their city - structures like that have to be placed some distance away from it. They also don’t grow their buildings among branches of Neruna-Kai - this space high in the sky is reserved only for Nayana the Protector and numerous bird species.

But they don’t just take from Neruna-Kai - they have a strong sense of responsibility for their Mother Tree which gives them life. They are grateful for this gift and repay it by using their regrowth abilities to care for the tree. They use flying crafts to access higher branches and help them grow, they remove infected or cancerous areas and replace them with healthy ones. They believe that their ability came from Neruna-Kai and An-Neruna as a gift and they need to give back a gift of their own. That’s why Nayana the Protector tolerates their presence and extraction of An-Neruna - a tree like this needs many caretakers, and she can’t grow and heal it, Sho Del can and thus together they can cultivate Neruna-Kai better than alone. 

There is another ceremony, when they all gather and use An-Neruna touching the largest root of Neruna-Kai - with their power they help it grow deeper and deeper, breaking through stone, reaching tens of kilometers underground, to collect more nutrients and water necessary for Mother Tree’s survival. 

Nu-Sanda is possibly the most unique and special ceremony they have. It translates to “journey of the youngest”. The moment when Neruna-Kai spawns Neruna-Nu, which starts walking away, is a great celebration among its inhabitants. They play, eat, drink and dance for days until eventually many people join Neruna-Nu in its journey, fully abandoning the convenience of technology and civilization, turning back towards the ways of their nomadic ancestors, who crossed the vastness of space to inhabit Esma. They unite with nature and care for the young Neruna-Nu, protecting and cultivating it during this harsh journey. But they don’t use An-Neruna, as taking An-Neruna from Neruna-Nu is considered to be a blasphemy, but also it is considered a necessity for Neruna-Nu to encounter troubles and harshness of this world, and learn to overcome it on its own. This journey can take decades, most of those who started it won’t see its end, but their offspring will. However it is not required for people to walk themself to death - Neruna-Nu will often get close to numerous valleys of different Neruna-Kai and when they’re passing close by (Neruna-Nu will never enter a region affected by another Neruna-Kai) some of those inhabitants will join the procession, and those who are unable to go any further, or don’t want to, can leave and go back to civilization. Other valleys aren’t the only things Neruna-Nu will encounter, sometimes it will encounter a dead Neruna-Kai - journeying Sho Del will take this moment to meditate and perform griefing ceremonies, giving this tree a spiritual burial. Once Neruna-Kai will root itself and dump its bark, Esmians will get access to An-Neruna, which drips plentifully where bark used to be - they use it to construct their town, help to root new Neruna-Kai even stronger and deeper, and help other plants growing in this new area. Sho Del consider this to be a fresh start, and while they soon start trading with other valleys and regain technological devices, many consider this as an opportunity to rethink old design, while they are freshly connected to nature and enriched by Neruna-Nu’s journey. This sometimes results in development of new or improved designs of existing concepts, or even completely new inventions. 

Shadesmar:

Spoiler

Despite all the liquid investiture focused in hearts of Neruna-Kai, there is no natural perpendicularity existing on Esma. Sho Del are Cosmere aware, and learnt to open their own perpendicularities - but they don’t let them stay open. They are present in CR, they’ve built few outposts and trading facilities in there, but they open perpendicularly only once a year, letting goods and few selected individuals enter Esma. But this isn’t the only troubling aspect of Esma - for some reason the planet is moving with speeds far exceeding average - it’s moving with a considerable fraction of the speed of light. Because of that Esma moves in a chaotic way across Cosmere, often getting close to other star systems. This causes Esma to change locations in the Cognitive Realm over decades or few hundreds years. 

Esma’s Shadesmar is devoid of solid land, because the surface of Esma is almost entirely devoid of open water. The entirety of Shadesmar is made out of an ocean of cognitive manifestations looking like small leaves of countless colors. Cognitive representation of animal and people’s souls looks like a silhouette, gently glowing like a rainbow - looking at them at slightly different angles shifts the position of the rainbow across their silhouette. Both Neruna-Kai and Neruna-Nu’s have the same Cognitive representation as animals and Sho Del, a giant tree glowing and pulsing in the rainbow light.

Technology:

Spoiler

Once Neruna-Kai spawns an outgrowth from which future Neruna-Nu will emerge, Sho Del can harvest a fist sized heart without disturbing the cycle of reproduction - the Mother Tree will keep growing new hearts in the same spot if they are picked up small enough. This allows them to harvest tens of fists sized hearts, full of An-Neruna. However they have to be careful not to overharvest as if they do it too many times, the cycle will be stopped and they risk facing the wrath of Nayana the Protector. Having hearts filled with liquid investiture (they’re dead, not beating anymore), they need to get Su-Neruna, alloys of Esma which make root’s veins. This is usually done by harvesting them from roots hanging uselessly in the air, for dead roots, or from venturing outside of the valley in search of dead Neruna-Kai, to harvest their decomposing roots (yes, somehow out there in the hellish coldness of Esma, this god metal decomposes - this process isn’t understood at all). 

On those two elements Esmians based their entire impressive technology often copying what Neruna-Kai itself does. They use glassworks to create bubbles of god metal alloys of needed combinations and appropriate sizes (bubbles needed to be matched with the size of hearts - too small or too big bubbles will pop spilling An-Neruna wasting it and the heart - therefore the range of those inventions is nowhere near what Neruna-Kai can do). One heart can usually power up to 20 bubbles, but this depends on the size of the bubble - you can in fact make hundreds of tiny bubbles that won’t pop, as the pressure is spreaded across them, but this doesn’t work for big bubbles - for fist-sized hearts, fist-sized bubbles are the maximum. However the effects of one bubble stack with other bubbles of the same type, expanding their range. An-Neruna is slowly used when devices are working and hearts have to be periodically refilled. This concept is very similar to fabrials or electric circuits and can be described similarly by diagrams (one is included below).

With this they’ve managed to create impressive advances in technology. Because the heart no longer beats it needs a pump to move An-Neruna through metal wires, which will power the structure. This is done by connecting the heart with bubbles of Esmium-iron alloy and Esmium-steel alloy with a drop of An-Neruna being inside of those bubbles. But if that was just pure Esmium-iron it would attract An-Neruna from all directions and stop it on the bubble - that’s why Esmium-aluminum alloy is added to the side of the bubble which direction needed to be isolated.

For example let's say we have a horizontal wire, with a heart on the right side, pump in the middle and you need to pump the liquid investiture towards the left. By having just Esmium-iron in the middle bubble-pump, it will keep concentrating An-Neruna from all directions on this bubble and preventing its flow. That’s why the bubble is made with mixed Esmium-aluminum alloy on the left side of the bubble - this isolates that direction from the attractive effect of the bubble - the bubble attracts An-Neruna from the right side, which gains momentum, moves through the bubble and goes forward without stopping in the bubble. Similarly an Esmium-steel alloy bubble is made and both it and Esmium-iron bubble can be used in a single wire network to induce direction of the An-Neruna flow through the wire network (but it can be made just out of pumps of a single type). It really sounds more complicated than it is. 

Hovercraft:

Spoiler

Hovercraft.thumb.png.239e51fa5ff1d8a5a9b708f127af5a71.png

Those are symbols, bubbles and hearts don't look like that. The white vertical bars inside symbols of pumps indicate on which side aluminum is placed - but that's a simplified schematic.

One of the technological examples of application of this invested art is a simple hovercraft. It has a heart in the middle, wires coming left and right out of it, iron pump on one side, steel on other, from those pumps you have 2 wires coming out of each, connecting to bubbles on corners of a rectangular platform, which have Esmium-steel bubbles with air trapped in it, and later wiring is closed in a loop. This creates the effect of pushing against the air and it will make the platform fly high in the sky. The slightly more advanced platform is made for travels outside a valley, where there is no atmosphere - for this there is a central Esmium-iron-duralumin-brass bubble, which attracts the air, pressurizes it, and heats it up. At corners, Esmium-steel bubbles are filled with ground or ice - this craft will fly several meters above the ground (not so high compared to the air-hoover) but it will maintain its own atmosphere. You can also add an Esmium-tin bubble with air to create a white light or other additions. 

A bit more advanced structure is an image and film displayer - they created a mesh of hundreds of small Esmium-tin alloy bubbles with very specific gasses trapped inside (argon, which emits blue light when excited in the field of investiture, or neon, which emits red light or a mixture of neon, krypton and argon which make a green light). An Esmium-tin bubble filled with fluid creates sounds. Alloying Esmium-tin with bendalloy and cadmium creates a pulsation which is used for creation of complicated sounds or images which move.

I hope you enjoy it. I'm certainly surprised how much "life" I can create.

Spoiler

The technological magic system exceeded my abilities. It looks promising but there is a lot more to explore and figuring out to make it really work. Also I chose Progression as the Shard, which I think fits well enough. I don't feel the world needs to directly represent the Shard, but the Progression is there, especially when Neruna-Nu spawns. I was also considering Preservation+Invention=Perfection or Cultivation+Invention=Restoration. 

And Nayana had to be a moth, like what other creature could I make for a glowing tree? Moth!

On 8/14/2023 at 11:59 AM, alder24 said:

Reveal hidden contents

The technological magic system exceeded my abilities. It looks promising but there is a lot more to explore and figuring out to make it really work. Also I chose Progression as the Shard, which I think fits well enough. I don't feel the world needs to directly represent the Shard, but the Progression is there, especially when Neruna-Nu spawns. I was also considering Preservation+Invention=Perfection or Cultivation+Invention=Restoration. 

And Nayana had to be a moth, like what other creature could I make for a glowing tree? Moth!

Forgot to comment, this is very interesting, I like it. 

I am planning on making a new world tomorrow, not sure exactly what for, so I will make a list of a few:

• Movement or Motion (not sure what Shards it would be, might just make it its own Shard)
  • Ruin
  • Ruin + Odium
  • Alternate Preservation and Ruin (and, not +)

Ruin:

Spoiler

System:

Spoiler

Star:

Spoiler

It is the same size as our own sun, approximately 1 solar mass. It is a little smaller, but not enough to have any notable change to the calculations. 

Malak Akush:

Spoiler

Physical Characteristics:

Spoiler

Planet itself:

Spoiler

Malak Akush is a large rocky planet. It is 1.124 the Cosmere standard in radius, and 1.229 Cosmere standard gravity, and is placed around 1.215 AU away from its star, making it rather cold. 

Ecosystem:

Spoiler

The planet has little in the way of actual grass or soil. Most of the ecosystem has actually developed roots that can dig into the stone itself, and draw nutrients from the minerals in the stone. It has actually been discovered that there are layers of strata, alternating between hard stone and very mineral-rich bands that plants can take advantage of. 

Animals have also evolved to not just be able to get to these mineral layers, but also to be able to derive nutrients from them. Many have evolved very hard claws made out of a metal synthesized naturally in their body, which allows them to dig into stone to get to mineral layers or make burrows to hide in. These animals have, like the humans, developed an organ that can detect rises in ambient Investiture, which convinces them to move away from their current location to protect themselves. 

Many animals have also developed to have strong jaw bones with temporal, masseter, and medial and lateral pterygoid muscles all being developed to allow them to bite down hard enough to grind down stone and hard minerals. 

These animals also tend to feed off of the planets themselves, with digging for minerals being a last resort for them. Other animals primarily survive off of eating the meat of the herbivorous or "mineravorous" animals. 

The Storms:

Spoiler

Randomly, massive spheres of destruction manifest across the surface, these vary a large amount in diametre. When these storms strike, they appear to erase literally everything in their volume, they do this as they turn everything into Investiture and pull it into the Spiritual Realm, making it take on the appearance of a complete erasure of existence. 

They also release a large amount of heat, as it isn't all turned into Investiture, but some is turned into heat and ionizing radiation, releasing alpha, beta, and gamma rays which irradiate their surroundings. The heat they release is enough to boil stone and water even beyond their radius. Despite how much radiation and heat they release, they do not release any light, and, in fact, appear to suck light in (which it uses to help facilitate the reaction, using it for more energy). This gives them the appearance of a completely black sphere, and makes the area around the phenomenon become noticeably darker. 

The people on the planet itself believes that these are the embodiment of the concept of destruction itself, breaking things down to the point that they no longer exist, and leaving all who see it with a shortened lifespan, and a tendency to have that lifespan be one of suffering, and be left with burns from the radiation. Given they come from Ruin, their interpretation of them as the concept of destruction is not entirely wrong. 

The average Storm if around 0.2~0.5km in radius. But they can potentially get extremely large, with the largest known one, called The Great Cleanse, being around 150km in diametre. 

Many people have attempted to find a way to predict when these storms strike, but they have never come upon any exact mathematical method. They only know signs that one is about to come, this mostly just being a feeling that one is about to arrive. This sensation is actually an evolutionary advantage of the people of Malak Akush, sourced in an organ in their brain not possessed by other peoples, which allows them to detect a rise in ambient Investiture in the air (see more in people section). Arcanists visiting the planet with technology that could detect ambient Investiture have found that it does in fact begin to rise as a storm is about to manifest. 

What can be provably detected without instruments, however, is that in the few days predating a Storm, one can notice an increasingly intense level of black fog/mist. 

The Desolate Plains:

Spoiler

The Desolate Plains are a large stretch of land on the planet where these storms happen nigh-constantly, with around 300 happening every day. Due to this, it is essentially impossible to safely traverse the plains, moving towards the centre is especially dangerous, as they grow more and more intense the closer you get to the centre. 

This is due to the fact that at the centre rests Ruin's Perpendicularity. 

Data:

Spoiler

1.124 Earth Radii 

1.55057567525 Earth Mass

6 g/cm3 (little denser than Earth)

It is 1.215 AU away from the central star. 

Moon:

Spoiler

Data:

Spoiler

2942.5747673 Km Diameter 

384400 km away from the planet

Angular Size of 0.438595972365 degrees (the exact same as the sun, did a lot of math to try and make it the same size)

39727.8755432 Km/s Orbital Velocity 

People:

Spoiler

Culture:

Spoiler

Due to the fact that they always have to struggle with the coming of absolute destruction, they cannot make any long-term and complex settlements, instead they have to make smaller and less developed settlements that they can quickly and easily leave whenever a storm is about to arrive. 

Biology:

Spoiler

They possess an extra organ in their brain, situated close to, and connected to, the hypothalamus (of which it is closer to) and pituitary gland. This organ is roughly the shape of a prolate spheroid, angled at around 7 degrees. 

It is responsible for detection of increases in ambient Investiture, which it responds to by exciting the hypothalamus and pituitary gland, which it orders to produce hormones in order to to warn them of potential danger. The manner in which these signals and hormones work make it so that they know what the warning is about, instead of it being a general sense of anxiety. 

Due to the heavy gravity, they tend to be rather short and have thick bones. But these thick bones are not just the result of evolution to deal with the gravity, but it makes use of the various minerals in the plants and animals they consume. This also resulted in them having rather thick and hard nails, similar to Herdazians. 

Shard:

Spoiler

(Unfinished, I got a bit busy, and am not exactly in the mood right now. I will add to this later, but still feel like sharing what I have so far.)

@alder24 @Underwater_Worldhopper

10 hours ago, Firesong said:

Randomly, massive spheres of destruction manifest across the surface, these vary a large amount in diametre. When these storms strike, they appear to erase literally everything in their volume, they do this as they turn everything into Investiture and pull it into the Spiritual Realm, making it take on the appearance of a complete erasure of existence. 

They also release a large amount of heat, as it isn't all turned into Investiture, but some is turned into heat and ionizing radiation, releasing alpha, beta, and gamma rays which irradiate their surroundings. The heat they release is enough to boil stone and water even beyond their radius. Despite how much radiation and heat they release, they do not release any light, and, in fact, appear to suck light in (which it uses to help facilitate the reaction, using it for more energy). This gives them the appearance of a completely black sphere, and makes the area around the phenomenon become noticeably darker. 

That storm is a really cool concept. But if they erase everything on their path, what is happening with the ground and stone itself? Wouldn't that mean that those storms will slowly grind the entire planet down to nothing? How fast are those storms?

The Desolate Plains:

Hide contents

The Desolate Plains are a large stretch of land on the planet where these storms happen nigh-constantly, with around 300 happening every day. Due to this, it is essentially impossible to safely traverse the plains, moving towards the centre is especially dangerous, as they grow more and more intense the closer you get to the centre. 

This is due to the fact that at the centre rests Ruin's Perpendicularity. 

The same with this. Wouldn't that mean that the constant storm will literally make a hole in the ground? It would constantly turn the surface layer of the rock into investiture. If that's true I think a planet with a giant hole in it (not that deep, a few km or something) and the land being scared by trench where storms came through would look really cool.

Moon:

Hide contents

Data:

Hide contents

2942.5747673 Km Diameter 

384400 km away from the planet

Angular Size of 0.438595972365 degrees (the exact same as the sun, did a lot of math to try and make it the same size)

39727.8755432 Km/s Orbital Velocity 

Hold up a minute. I've done some very quick math, and your moon's orbit is 2.415e+6 km long, with speed being 39 thousand km/s. Wouldn't this mean that this moon orbits the planet every 60 seconds???? Am I crazy or just stupid? Earth's Moon orbital velocity is just ~1 km/s. 

This world looks very promising, I can't wait for you to develop it more. 

3 hours ago, alder24 said:

That storm is a really cool concept. But if they erase everything on their path, what is happening with the ground and stone itself? Wouldn't that mean that those storms will slowly grind the entire planet down to nothing? How fast are those storms?

The same with this. Wouldn't that mean that the constant storm will literally make a hole in the ground? It would constantly turn the surface layer of the rock into investiture. If that's true I think a planet with a giant hole in it (not that deep, a few km or something) and the land being scared by trench where storms came through would look really cool.

Hold up a minute. I've done some very quick math, and your moon's orbit is 2.415e+6 km long, with speed being 39 thousand km/s. Wouldn't this mean that this moon orbits the planet every 60 seconds???? Am I crazy or just stupid? Earth's Moon orbital velocity is just ~1 km/s. 

This world looks very promising, I can't wait for you to develop it more. 

"Storm" isn't the most accurate terminology, it moreso manifests in one place, carves it out, and then vanishes. And yes, it is carving away the planet over time. 

And also, might have to adjust the size and distance of the moon, I want it to be relatively fast but not that fast (I did the math to find it was 39000, just didn't go another level to see orbital length to find how long it takes to orbit). But I also don't feel like redoing a lot of the math to find a size and shape that works well while being the same angular size as the sun. :( But I also guess it wouldn't be too much of an issue, but still faster than I would like it. 

Planet name Camila

Shard chivalry: honor+ valor 

World tpy yulin standar

Method of investment 

Questers just journey to  Chivalry's shardpool, there they must pass a  Series of tests, Should they survive and prove themselves worthy, There will be met by quest giver( A large splinter of  chivalry, there they will proclaim the quest to her,  Should she deem the quest worthy enough she will present them with a weapon,  Really another splinter of chilvry.

This grants them their power and  We'll stay with them until they die or finish their quest. 

On 8/14/2023 at 5:59 PM, alder24 said:

Hide contents

This was so cool. I'm so incredibly late to come here and compliment it, but I've just been having a nightmare of a time irl, so I haven't had the motivation to do so until recently.

Firstly, the entire ecosystem is just such a cool concept. Life that exists in specific bubbles surrounding a specific tree, which is the center for everything? Fain animals? A giant magical Moth? An in-world explanation for why Hoid can use Fortune? So awesome!

The entire concept of a truly gargantuan tree with a beating heart that pumps Investiture around like blood is so delightfully creepy, and then you built such a cool and complex magical ecosystem around it! The concepts were so cool for what 6 limbed creatures would realistically look like, and I think you nailed each and every single one. I didn't miss the naming convention either, I'm particularly impressed by it.

And all of this is secondary to the magic system that you made, which works so neatly that I can't wait to begin theorizing what else you could make with it. It seems like the perfect system to use to create habitable spaceships if they could get around the speed of light issue.

Some questions:

• Does Progression influence where Esma is headed in the Cosmere?
  • Could off-worlders use An-Neruna to fuel other magics, like purified Dor?
  • Could a Neruna-Kai travel through a Perpendicularity and root itself in Shadesmar, or travel to a different planet? If it can't, if it were somehow transported off-world anyway, could it live on a planet it's not native to?
  • Does the magic system produce a different effect if you use the regular base metal instead of an Esmium alloy?
  • What effect does Esmium create on its own?
  • What effects do the other Esmium alloys create?
  • What does A-/F-/H-Esmium do?
  • Is there a name for the magic system?
  • Is there a specific term for Fabrials created from this magic system?

12 hours ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

This was so cool. I'm so incredibly late to come here and compliment it, but I've just been having a nightmare of a time irl, so I haven't had the motivation to do so until recently.

Thank you. I hope everything gets better for you.

And all of this is secondary to the magic system that you made, which works so neatly that I can't wait to begin theorizing what else you could make with it. It seems like the perfect system to use to create habitable spaceships if they could get around the speed of light issue.

They definitely can build them but I haven't thought of how to make FTL. Normal space engines would likely work like ion thrusters - just pushing some small stuff out of the craft.

• Does Progression influence where Esma is headed in the Cosmere?

Yes, the idea is that Esma is moving with a significant fraction of the speed of light, so fast that it takes just hundreds or even a few decades to move from one star to another. This messes up Cognitive Realm and travel routes quite a lot, but also makes this planet hard to find. However this speed is far too big for the planet to stay in the galaxy - it should get launched into intergalactic medium, but it not only stays within the galaxy, but also within the Cosmere star cluster - that's because Progression nudges and changes the trajectory of this planet so it would remain in Cosmere.

So technically Esma is the spaceship :P 

• Could off-worlders use An-Neruna to fuel other magics, like purified Dor?

As long as it's unkeyed, they can.

• Could a Neruna-Kai travel through a Perpendicularity and root itself in Shadesmar, or travel to a different planet? If it can't, if it were somehow transported off-world anyway, could it live on a planet it's not native to?

No, it's too big to fit through any perpendicularity, and there are no nutrients in CS, it can’t live there. It possibly would be able to live on different planets if it was somehow transported (probably not on Roshar, no soil or large water sources), but there is no way to do so, as it isn't made out of seeds and it's huge even as Neruna-Kai. And you would need to feed it throughout the entire journey otherwise it would simply die. 

• Does the magic system produce a different effect if you use the regular base metal instead of an Esmium alloy?

No it doesn't work.

• What effect does Esmium create on its own?

Naturally it doesn't exist so I haven't thought of it. Unknown.

• What effects do the other Esmium alloys create?

That's why I said "The technological magic system exceeded my abilities." I wasn't able to think of every metal effect. But for example Esmium-chromium alloy wouldn't just attract like iron, but it would be a way for the tree to absorb minerals or stuff better into itself. I recently made up a short story in this word (literally an hour ago - this includes worldhoppers trying to collect An-Neruna for use on different planets) where Esmium-chromium with pure unkeyed investiture in it would leech investiture like A-chromium out of people, and if you put a small hemalurgic nicrosil spike in it, it would overwrite the effect and consume innate investiture directly from people souls, consuming them. Now I think in the same way putting an unkeyed coppermind with some memories would leech those memories out of people or something like that. 

Maybe alloy of gold to create some healing effect with proper stuff inside the bubble? I don't know, it's too complicated for me.

• Is there a name for the magic system?
  • Is there a specific term for Fabrials created from this magic system?

Not really, I wasn't able to make them up. And you've praised me for naming convention :P 

On 7/27/2023 at 9:32 AM, Firesong said:

I have some ideas for new worlds, let me give some ideas and yous can choose which you want me to work on.

• Cultivation + Ruin
  • Honor + Odium
  • Honor + Dominion
  • Invention
  • The Shard of Annoying Persistence (All of those damn bots manifested as a Shard) [joke]

While I don't have any ideas for these, I am interested to see how these would work:

• Whimsy + Honor 
  • Whimsy + Ruin
  • Virtuosity + Invention
  • Whimsy + Odium
  • Odium + Devotion (might just be like, Zeal)

There are basically 120 different Double Shards, 240 if they all have two manifestations like Harmony. 65,535 if you count any combination of n-shards, this is under the assumption that (Preservation + Ruin) + Autonomy would be the same as (Ruin + Autonomy) + Preservation. I am not sure exactly would to do the math for it if the order matters. The number would become pretty extreme. But regardless, there are so many different ways that Shards can combine. 

Maybe to include order would be like, ((120 * 14) * 13!), which would be 1.0461394944×10^13. Actually, no, it can simply be thought of as an ordered string of 16 values, which would be 2.0922789888*10^13 for 16, and when you sum up all of them, 5.6874039553×10^13 total combined Shards (you have to subtract 120 as this does also order the first two shards, but those two should be an unordered set). I did not check for if there is an Unbalanced form of every one. So, a lot of different ones possible.

1. destruction 

2. Wrath (or justice depending on the holder)

3. Governency

4. Liberty 

5.Chaso

6. Imsperation 

7.impuls 

8.Love 

Shardworld Oceania

Shard soul ( Not a actually shard but a splinter of Adonalsium,  Similar to pre honor stormfather,  Comes in the form of a very very small sun on the ocean floor

World:

There's only one small continent on this world and most like it's found in the oceans. In Particular  The heat sunlight and investitur given off by soul Has produced a jungle of coral the size of a small continent. 

Inhabitants:  The animal and intelligent life found within the coral jungle of soul  It's highly invested thanks to soul, Making life on the ocean floor stronger And more endurance than it should be naturally.

Children of soul: shape shifters and the only intelligent life bellow the ocean.

The shapeshifting is not perfect though and when the try to take the form of a surface dweller it usually results in a hybrid form with both sea and land animal traits.

Heat stones:

Mysterious rocks that absorb heat and light from soul and release it slowly over time, this substance is the foundation of the children's industrial revolution.  

Edited by bmcclure7

They definitely can build them but I haven't thought of how to make FTL. Normal space engines would likely work like ion thrusters - just pushing some small stuff out of the craft.

I wonder if Esmium-Bendalloy and Esmium-Cadmium can help here through Pushing/Pulling on time.

Yes, the idea is that Esma is moving with a significant fraction of the speed of light, so fast that it takes just hundreds or even a few decades to move from one star to another. This messes up Cognitive Realm and travel routes quite a lot, but also makes this planet hard to find. However this speed is far too big for the planet to stay in the galaxy - it should get launched into intergalactic medium, but it not only stays within the galaxy, but also within the Cosmere star cluster - that's because Progression nudges and changes the trajectory of this planet so it would remain in Cosmere.

That about what I expected, given that it would have shot out of the Cosmere by now otherwise.

More questions:

• Can the Sho Del communicate with Progression in any way, perhaps petition her?They open Perpendicularities annually somehow, maybe they also annually convene with her?
  • For that matter, how do the Esmians measure and delineate time? Does the planet have a moon?
  • Does each community of Sho Del open a separate Perpendicularity, or is only a single one opened? Why/Why not? Who decides which community opens the Perpendicularity if only one is allowed? If multiple open, do they open at the same time or is the time unique to each community? How can they synchronize the opening if they open it at the same time?
  • Can Sho Del communicate to other Sho Del in different communities? How/Why not?

As long as it's unkeyed, they can.

Is it naturally Unkeyed?

No, it's too big to fit through any perpendicularity, and there are no nutrients in CS, it can’t live there. It possibly would be able to live on different planets if it was somehow transported (probably not on Roshar, no soil or large water sources), but there is no way to do so, as it isn't made out of seeds and it's huge even as Neruna-Kai. And you would need to feed it throughout the entire journey otherwise it would simply die.

Can it subsist off of pure Investiture, if it's available?

That's why I said "The technological magic system exceeded my abilities." I wasn't able to think of every metal effect. But for example Esmium-chromium alloy wouldn't just attract like iron, but it would be a way for the tree to absorb minerals or stuff better into itself. I recently made up a short story in this word (literally an hour ago - this includes worldhoppers trying to collect An-Neruna for use on different planets) where Esmium-chromium with pure unkeyed investiture in it would leech investiture like A-chromium out of people, and if you put a small hemalurgic nicrosil spike in it, it would overwrite the effect and consume innate investiture directly from people souls, consuming them. Now I think in the same way putting an unkeyed coppermind with some memories would leech those memories out of people or something like that. 

That makes sense. I'd love to read your short story, if you'll allow it ^v^

Maybe alloy of gold to create some healing effect with proper stuff inside the bubble? I don't know, it's too complicated for me.

Could be. There won't always be clever or direct parallels you can make to other Invested Arts, which is something I learned while making the Invention system. You see it in Hemalurgy as opposed to Feruchemy, and Feruchemy as opposed to Allomancy, and the Metallic Arts in general as opposed to Fabrials. Tin, for example, works almost entirely opposite in Fabrials as it does in Allomancy. Sometimes you just need to make something up that makes sense in the context of your magic system and the metal.

Not really, I wasn't able to make them up. And you've praised me for naming convention :P 

Well, you have access to an entire other language, you could maybe use a related word in polish and then transliterate it into english to come up with a cool, fantastical sounding (at least to english audiences) name.

2 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

1. destruction 

2. Wrath (or justice depending on the holder)

3. Governency

4. Liberty 

5.Chaso

6. Imsperation 

7.impuls 

8.Love 

Other than Destruction, I think you did a good job attaching names to those Shards.

19 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Shardworld Oceania

Shard soul ( Not a actually shard but a splinter of Adonalsium,  Similar to pre honor stormfather,  Comes in the form of a very very small sun on the ocean floor

World:

There's only one small continent on this world and most like it's found in the oceans. In Particular  The heat sunlight and investitur given off by soul Has produced a jungle of coral the size of a small continent. 

Inhabitants:  The animal and intelligent life found within the coral jungle of soul  It's highly invested thanks to soul, Making life on the ocean floor stronger And more endurance than it should be naturally.

Children of soul: shape shifters and the only intelligent life bellow the ocean.

The shapeshifting is not perfect though and when the try to take the form of a surface dweller it usually results in a hybrid form with both sea and land animal traits.

Heat stones:

Mysterious rocks that absorb heat and light from soul and release it slowly over time, this substance is the foundation of the children's industrial revolution.

I like it. Perhaps not the most original name for the world, but I love the concept of a Shadow of Adonalsium analogous to the Stormfather. Cool ideas, though I don't get what you mean by Children's revolution. Try not to double post please <3

Edited by Underwater_Worldhopper

5 minutes ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

I wonder if Esmium-Bendalloy and Esmium-Cadmium can help here through Pushing/Pulling on time.

That about what I expected, given that it would have shot out of the Cosmere by now otherwise.

More questions:

• Can the Sho Del communicate with Progression in any way, perhaps petition her?They open Perpendicularities annually somehow, maybe they also annually convene with her?
  • For that matter, how do the Esmians measure and delineate time? Does the planet have a moon?
  • Does each community of Sho Del open a separate Perpendicularity, or is only a single one opened? Why/Why not? Who decides which community opens the Perpendicularity if only one is allowed? If multiple open, do they open at the same time or is the time unique to each community? How can they synchronize the opening if they open it at the same time?
  • Can Sho Del communicate to other Sho Del in different communities? How/Why not?

Is it naturally Unkeyed?

Could be. There won't always be clever or direct parallels you can make to other Invested Arts, which is something I learned while making the Invention system. You see it in Hemalurgy as opposed to Feruchemy, and Feruchemy as opposed to Allomancy, and the Metallic Arts in general as opposed to Fabrials. Tin, for example, works almost entirely opposite in Fabrials as it does in Allomancy. Sometimes you just need to make something up that makes sense in the context of your magic system and the metal.

Well, you have access to an entire other language, you could maybe use a related word in polish and then transliterate it into english to come up with a cool, fantastical sounding (at least to english audiences) name.

Other than Destruction, I think you did a good job attaching names to those Shards.

I like it. Perhaps not the most original name for the world, but I love the concept of a Shadow of Adonalsium analogous to the Stormfather. Cool ideas, though I don't get what you mean by Children's revolution. Try not to double post please <3

Yeah I don't like the name destruction either trouble is Rune and cultivation are already to similar. Both manifestations of change.  

3 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Yeah I don't like the name destruction either trouble is Rune and cultivation are already to similar. Both manifestations of change.  

I personally like Evolution. Firesong has previously suggested Recurrence. Diversity could work here. Transition, perhaps.

3 hours ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

I personally like Evolution. Firesong has previously suggested Recurrence. Diversity could work here. Transition, perhaps.

Which thinking may be Age, But I like a evolution.  Both position a destructive change.

How would you think you would access this shards power?

Edited by bmcclure7

4 hours ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

More questions:

Is it naturally Unkeyed?

There industrial revolution.  children refers to the children of soul (what are shap shifting fish people call themselves).

You can't have fire under the sea so the heat stones serve as a work around allowing them to industrialize. 

47 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Which thinking may be Age, But I like a evolution.  Both position a destructive change.

How would you think you would access this shards power?

Experience would make more sense, or some other thing like- cultivation...?

Access power: major milestone in your life or that kinda thing. Maybe future seeing powers?

2 hours ago, Aeoliae said:

Experience would make more sense, or some other thing like- cultivation...?

Access power: major milestone in your life or that kinda thing. Maybe future seeing powers?

Not destructive enough.  Cultivation is positive change, ruin is negative change so them combined should have aspect of them both.