What Happened in Portland

Almost as soon as Sightline teleported into the store, and Energy blast hit a Magazize rack on the Counter next to him.He teleported back outside the store as another Explosion sounded from within. He teleported back, this time landing on top of one of the racks, where he had a better view of the place. There was an Epic standing next to the vaporised Counter, looking around with his had outstretched. Sightline teleported behind him, and reached for his neck, then hesitated, and grabbed his pants instead. He teleported, and the man whirled around, then looked down at his bare legs.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Honey, Where are my Pants? Pistolero looked down at his bare legs, then back up. "Oy, who took my Pants?"

A voice sounded from behind the racks of Gun Accesories. "I did." Pistolero ran around the rack, but no one was there. He felt a tap on his back, and when he turned around, his shirt was gone.

"Who in Beast's name are you?"

"Sightline".

As soon as Sightline spoke, Pistolero spun on his heel and shot off three bolts in the voices general direction.

The voice came again, this time from above. "Missed me." He blew a Hole in the ceiling. Suddenly, he dropped an Inch, and stumbled. His shoes were gone.

He franticcly turned, and turned again. "Where are you!"

"Here." Suddenly, He could no longer hear, or see. When he tried to turn again, he found he couldn't even move. He reflexively Gasped, but his burning lungs told him that they weren't working. Then nothingness.

Wetness.

Lightwards stiffened immediately, a foul-smelling fluid drenching his body and chilling him to the bone. The liquid clinging to his body made him want to retch, and he involuntarily pulled his coat around his now bare and gasoline-soaked chest.

With a cry of outrage, he jerked his head towards Funtimes, intending to begin a hearty rant at her idiocy. But the rant died on his lips at the sight of her face.

Doctor Funtimes was smiling, but it was not the ditzy smile he was accustomed to. It was something darker. Sinister, even. Lightwards licked his lips nervously.

"You hurt my friend," she said simply, her arms folded across her chest as she locked her eyes with his. "And you said you were my friend, but friends don't hurt friends."

One of the raptors began to approach Funtimes menacingly, but a glance from Lightwards cut it off. It was certain that whatever attack the raptor could launch wouldn't put so much as a scratch on the angry Epic in front of him.

"Now," Funtimes said softly, absently playing with a ribbon from her sweater. "I don't know anymore. If you're his friend, then you're mine, too, and I can turn your shirt into raspberry jelly and make you some toast. But if you're not..."

The ribbon became a shining purple lighter in her hand.

"Are you friend?" she asked sweetly.

Lightwards stared from her face to her lighter in quick succession, his eyes wide. He'd never seen this level of malice from her. Realistically, he'd known she'd had it in her. She was an Epic, after all. She only really showed it when you pressed one of her buttons.

Purple Phoenix, evidently, was one of those buttons. A button which should be avoided at all costs. Lightwards did his best to smile.

"Of course," he said slowly, nodding his head. "Perhaps I was a touch... hasty with my actions." He made a gesture, and the raptor hopped off of Phoenix and stood by its master's side.

"We're all friends here," he stated nervously, glancing from Funtimes to Purple Phoenix. "Perhaps--as friends--we could have a reasonable chat. Explain ourselves. Where we come from. Our goals. Et cetera."

"Perhaps--as friends--we could have a reasonable chat. Explain ourselves. Where we come from. Our goals. Et cetera." Lightwards said as Purple Phoenix felt the weight of the raptor shift off of his neck.
Still slightly dazed and not entirely sure what was happening he stood up.
"Well, yes, thank you for that... um...  a shadow Epic you say? I don't know of any other than Nightwielder of course in Newcago. Although it does sound... hmm" He struggled to think, pushing through the remaining pain from his headache, but trying to think about this Shadow Epic only made it worse.
Mind if I take over for a minute? Asked his Voice.
Take over? What do you mean? He thought back.
Just don't freak out okay? I'm here to help.
Purple Phoenix had the unpleasant sensation of his brain sliding around in his head for a second, and then he found that he couldn't move.
What the!?
"Calm down Phoenix" He felt his jaw move but the words weren't his.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Protector addressed the assembled Epics and servants "Sorry about that everyone, I thought I'd better clear a few things up, I'm... well a remnant of phoenix's past I suppose, you can call me his Protector." he said.
As he was talking he put his hands into his pockets, grabbing what he could find and charging them with energy, he definitely did not want to be caught out again, if he hadn't just been saved...
"Now the explosives in the museum were my doing, I like to make sure that we always have a way out, in the event that the base gets taken over by enemy forces I'd rather they couldn't use it against us, so I've rigged the entire place to blow. Now as for the person Phoenix thinks is controlling him, that would obviously be me too, but as to this shadow Epic I'm afraid I have no idea, although our head is feeling a little strange right now, we did just fall several hundred feet and then explode, but it might also be that Phoenix blocked it out, he has some... bad experiences in his past and it's rather difficult to recall them"
He paused to try to gauge all of their reactions, Lightwards kept glancing nervously towards the others and towards his chest where the gasoline was still dripping. The servants seemed to be avoiding his gaze, except for the one with the rifle who met his gaze in a concerning manner.
We'll need to keep an eye on that one. he noted.
"Now if that answers your questions Lightwards I'd like a moment to discuss some things with these two in private" he said, motioning for the couple to follow him further back into the alley.

When frightened, Epics tended to do one of two things: act angrier in an attempt to make themselves seem more powerful, or adopt a subservient manner in an attempt to ward off attacks from the stronger Epic. After having his shirt turned to gasoline and being threatened with a lighter, Nathan expected Lightwards to take the first option. 

He chose the second. 

Nathan had seen Epics do that before. It wasn't unusual—when a minor Epic crossed a High Epic. When some Epic or other with a halfway useful power decided to pick a fight with one who had two or three extremely useful ones, he and the other servers had known to get out of the way. Watching a minor Epic put in their place was always good fun for their more fortunate fellows. 

But Lightwards was no minor Epic. He could raise the dead, turn a fossil into a living dinosaur and a table into a tree. If Doctor Funtimes tossed the lighter onto his coat, he would return none the worse for wear. Yet he still clutched his coat to his chest, eyes darting between the flame and her face, licking his lips nervously. Most Epics didn't do that unless stalling as they searched for the words to put things right and escape with their lives. 

"Perhaps I was a touch... hasty with my actions." He called off his raptor with a wave of his hand. "We're all friends here. Perhaps--as friends--we could have a reasonable chat. Explain ourselves. Where we come from. Our goals. Et cetera."

He was scared out of his wits. He couldn't die, and he was terrified of her. 

Not that Nathan blamed him. 

Funtimes smiled again—wider this time, but her eyes were cold as she patted his cheek. "Good. I like being your friend." 

Purple Phoenix spoke, introducing himself as someone called the Protector—a remnant of Phoenix's past or some such—and explained why he had rigged the museum. After watching his self-proclaimed girlfriend douse a High Epic with gasoline and threaten him with a lighter, the idea of their museum being turned to a minefield seemed unimportant. There was only Funtimes, and that cold smile, so different from the one she had worn when she saved his life….

"Now if that answers your questions, Lightwards, I'd like a moment to discuss some things with these two in private." He motioned for him and Funtimes to follow. 

"Okie dokie loki," she said, putting on her usual smile as she pranced to Nathan's side. She took him by the tie, pulled him close and kissed him long and deep, then looked into his eyes, hands planted on his shoulders. Staking her territory. 

After a moment, she slipped her hand in his and started off toward Phoenix. 

Nathan managed to raise his eyebrows in bemusement at Lightwards as they passed, though he didn't even try to smile. His coat still smelled of gasoline. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Looking behind to make sure they followed, the Protector continued down the alley, thinking rapidly. How much should he tell them? How much did they already know? Calamity he still didn't even know their names!

What are you going to tell them? Phoenix asked in his mind.

I still don't know. he thought back We need to find out who this shadow Epic was and what they know.

I feel tired. Phoenix replied. It's weird to hear your thoughts like this, I think I'm about to pass out.

You're just not used to swapping like this yet, I'll wake you up once everything's settled. he reassured his other self.

Once he was sure they were out of earshot he turned around and waited for the other two.
"Now listen, I know that we don't really know each other very well, and I know that you don't particularly trust me" he said to the young man, who looked like he was considering revealing something but didn't want to play his hand yet.

"I mean I don't even know your names yet, but I need to ask for your help. All I want is to help keep Phoenix alive, but it can be difficult sometimes. Now I can tell that you at least are still quite new at this." he said, addressing the man again

"I don't know how much you know about me, about Phoenix but you two are the only ones I can trust not to try to kill Phoenix. It was quite a while ago now but Phoenix used to work in one of the military labs that studied Epics, trying to reproduce their powers, one of the energy Epics they were studying escaped, killed his entire team and that was when Phoenix just... snapped, I was created to try to help him, to keep him as sane as possible and to protect him. So I need to know, what happened after I fell? Who is this shadow Epic?" he stared at them both, hoping that his confession gained him at least a modicum of trust, he needed their help, only those who were as insane as he was would possibly help, especially if they found out about his secret.

Nathan nodded slowly throughout Protector's explanation, though he was only able to give part of his attention. The rest was on the woman holding his hand. 

Her actions shouldn't have surprised him. She was an Epic, after all, and drenching an ally in gasoline and threatening to burn him alive was rather tame compared to turning a rival inside out or literally making a server's blood run cold. Perhaps she had grown bored with carpet bombings and pancake storms, or perhaps she had picked up on Lightwards' dismissive attitude toward her tricks. Any number of reasons for her threat would do, and nearly all of them made sense. 

Then again, Lightwards was an ally. A powerful ally. If she pushed too hard, he might decide she wasn't worth the trouble and...

And what? Turning his shirt to gasoline had taken almost no effort at all, turning a ribbon to a lighter even less. Matter was her plaything. The world was her plaything. Strap her into a straitjacket and place her in an empty room, and she would simply turn the straitjacket into a gun and the walls and floor into a tank or a cannon or something even worse. Calamity, give her time and she might even create a dinosaur of her own….

"So I need to know, what happened after I fell? Who is this shadow Epic?"

Nathan blinked at Protector a few times. He shared Phoenix's face, had the same wild beard, but there was no insanity in his eyes. He was calm. Rational. Human, by his own admission. "And why are you trusting us with this secret? Impersonating an Epic is a crime in most areas." 

Funtimes punched him playfully. "Because we're nice, duh." 

Nice. That was her word for threatening an ally with immolation? Then again, she had leapt to Phoenix's defense after learning he was only human. And given the purple explosion on impact, he had probably been helpless when the raptor attacked, unable to provide her with anything useful. Nothing about her decision made any sense at all….yet Nathan felt something nagging at him. Something sitting right in front of his nose. Something that would cast her actions in a new light and finally make them stand up to reason. 

"We don't know who this shadow is," Nathan said at last. If he couldn't discern Funtimes' motives, he should at least try to learn Protector's. "But he knew a great deal about Phoenix—you—both of you." 

-----------------------------------------

Messing with Epics was like messing with Sasquatch. It was dangerous, sure. Some might even call it stupid. No one in their right mind would pick on someone so much bigger and stronger for a few laughs. Remington Springfield was not in his right mind. Ask his parents, sisters, or most of the girls he'd dated. Or Sasquatch, for that matter. 

That glittery woman—Doctor Funtimes. She was a card. Making it rain pancakes on her new Empire before choosing the Unicyclist as her servant—most Epics wouldn't dream of that, but most Epics wouldn't use half the hair glitter she used, either. She lived in her own world, a world she brought to everyone she met. 

Remington glanced at Lightwards, the self-proclaimed Emperor of Light, still shivering in his gasoline-soaked coat. He chuckled and shook his head. He might call himself an Emperor, might declare himself ruler and make himself a little kingdom of the undead, but he couldn't control the Doctor. If he who controlled the Doctor controlled the Empire, then the Empire belonged to her. Her stunt with the lighter had proven as much. 

No, Lightwards was no Emperor. He held the title, but Doctor Funtimes held the power. The Traveler was her consort, Remington her humble servant. 

He smiled to himself. This was going to be fun. 

As it turns out being stepped on by a dinosaur huts. Big surprise. With her body still aching Ray followed Nighthound as he rounded up a group of people, although he also seemed to be searching for something.

In the end he rounded the vanillas in a small plaza. There he dismounted his Carnotaurus, as he informed her, and addressed his captives. “Greetings, Vanillas! The good news first, the dinosaurs are still well feed from the last group I gathered, so they will only eat you, if you try to run away. Now, me and my lovely assistant over here,” he gestured for Ray to come next to him and she complied, “I assume you know her, really what kind of imbecilic wouldn´t know about such an magnificent Epic in the neighborhood,” Ray groaned, “we´re here to tell you that a, in my exalted opinion, insane necromancer Epic- assistant over there.”

Nighthound pointed at a man that tried to sneak away from the crowd. Ray pierced his foot. “Satisfied?” She asked her captor.

“I myself would have gone for something vital but not immediately lethal like the lungs, ya know, let him suffer.”

Ray gave him a sly smile. “Always happy to not serve your wishes.”

Nighthound pinched her cheek, hard, and pulled up her face. “You´re down right adorable.”

Good to know I´m in the hands of a total creep.

Mr. Psychotic turned back to the crowd. ”Where was I? Oh yes, you´re now slaves to a egomaniacal Necromancer, a Madwoman that rains down pancakes at random but has a tendency to become violent if you don´t dance to her whims and of course me. So go and spread the word or something. I´m going to hold myself a fashion show.”

I had a bad feeling when he talked about a fashion show but this ought to be messed up. The shop they ultimately entered turned out to be a seemingly deserted pet shop and Nighthound headed straight for a shelf with collars. Yup, I guessed this much.

It´s pretty clear what´s going on. Her new… superior wanted to drive home that he is calling the shots and, even if she refused to just bow to him, saying downright no to this would end ugly for her. The only option she does have is doing it on her terms.

Ray strode to the collars, picked out a plain black leather one and held it into his face. He studied both her and the collar. Finally he took it from her, giving a slight chuckle, attached a small metal plate, that laid on the shelf, to it and handed it back to her. “Alright then, you picked it, you get to engrave your name in it.”

Clenching her jaws, she used on of her lances to eatch her name into the plate. After she finished, Nighthound put it around her neck, a satisfied smile on his lips. Ray stabbed him right through the stomach.

Instead of punching her or something else she prepared for he grabbed her chin and twisted her head until she looked in his face, his grin became very unsettling.  He leaned in in on her until she could feel his breath on her ear. “I assume you know how lucky you are that I find you cute.” Then he slapped her, hard. The only reason she wasn´t thrown to the ground is that he grabbed her collar and pulled her close. “Now then my dear, we still have work to do.” Tough love, huh, well I´m stormed.

Edited by Edgedancer

CorpseMaker strode into the main building. Scorch played Rear-guard behind him. Nobody was chasing them, but it never payed to be unwary. Electro was someone in here. All they had to do to find him was follow the trail of bodies and gashes in the floor. Eventually, they found him in a room with a Purple-haired Woman. She was seated in front of a broken Desk. "Now now, that was a nice desk. I liked that one."

"Electro, who is she?" Corpsemaker looked around the room. it was full of, toys. Nerf guns, playmobiles, army men and half finished wooden carvings.

The Woman stood up. "Hi! I'm the Toymaker! I live here. Who are you guys?"

"Your new Boss. Is there a way I can speak to the Entire Compound?"

"Yeah sure. This Walkie talkie hooms into the P.A. System and all the Soldier's Headsets." She handed him a Black box that looked rather like a cross between a Cellphone and a Microphone.

He walked over to a small window, and spoke. "Soldiers! Stand Down. I am CorpseMaker. I Rule here now. Your Commander is dead, as is his entire Family. We've already killed or recruited every Epic in this Compound. So now you have a Choice. I mean to Rule Portland. You can either Join me now, or Leave the city. Anyone who wants to stay should report to Entrance where I killed Jetstream. I'll be there to take your oaths in one Hour." He turned off the Walkie-talkie. "Now then, Toymaker. Just who are you?"

"I'm the Munitions Seargent! I make all the guns and weapons and uniforms and tanks and soldiers and-"

"Wait, you make the Soldiers?"

"Yup! Actualization! any toy I Activate becomes a Real Boy! Look!" She puuled ofpen a door and grabbed a couple of Amry men. She put them on the floor and touched them. Instantly, they sprung upwards into real soldiers. They both snapped a Salute.

"Orders M'Lady?" Toymaker giggled.

"Well, you two get to be My new bosses Bodyguards. Obey his every Word." She turned back to CorpseMaker. "See? all the grunts are Little green Armymen. the officers are all pre-Calamity though."

Unholy, Sparking, Storms. CorpseMaker stared at the Soldiers. With a power like that, she could have ruled have the Country by now. It's a good thing she's Insane. "What else can you make?"

"Well, all sorts of things. The problem with people is that They're limited. Like look at this Model I made of you." She grabbed what did indeed to be a miniature model of CorpseMaker, and put in on the floor. when she activated it, a fully fleshed clone appeared. "But he can't use your powers, or think for himself. All he can do is obey direct orders. They do make good Decoys though."

Corpsemaker targeted his clone, and watched in satisfaction as it crumpled to the ground. "That will be very useful. So you're willing to work for us?"

"Sure, Why not?"

"Hm... Well then. Welcome to the Family."

Electro watched as Toymaker created two soldiers and a Corpsemaker clone. "Boss, can I get one of those clones? And maybe a soldier?" Electro asked Corpsemaker. Better to seem subservient and weak for now. It'll make it easier once I do decide to break away.

Breaking into the armory had taken quite a bit of work. Electro was hungry. He decided that after Corpsemaker answered him, he'd go find food.

------------------------------

Altermind rounded the shelf, keeping an illusion of himself ahead of his actual self. He saw Joshua blow up Boom's explosive fishing reel. "Good work. The other one's dead too. Now let's get what we want and find the others," Altermind told Josh. As Josh grabbed a new compound bow, the best there was, and all the arrows he could carry, a call from Flashpoint came over Altermind's mobile.

"Boss, a spy reported that there are a few new Epics close to where you are. They lifted a museum into the sky and they call themselves the Empire of Light. One is the strength Epic that Voidgaze mentioned. The necromancer, teleporter, and matter manipulator from last night's street brawl are the others. They're pretty close to where you are."

"We'll keep an eye out for them," Altermind replied. He decided that he wanted a blowgun. Being able to lace the darts with poison coupled with his telekinetic ability, it would be extremely useful. A couple of good hunting knives couldn't hurt either. And, while he was there, his pistol could use an upgrade. He and Josh went to go to the guns first. After getting Flashpoint's shotgun and a handgun. After that, they headed towards the knives. They saw Sightline kill another Epic.

CorpseMaker continued looking around the Workshop. It was a well stocked place. No wonder none of the National Guard had defected on Annexation Day. Commander had powerful Minions.

"Boss, can I get one of those clones? And maybe a soldier?" Electro broke him out of his Thoughts. Withough turning from his Examinations, he replied.

"Toymaker, make Scorch and Electro ten Soldiers each, Have them only obey mine, and their commands. Then Bring in all the Soldiers you made for Commander, and tell them they only obey me. After that, send a few soldiers throughout the city to find an Alfred Action Figure. I want a Butler."

"Sure thing Boss. Anything Else?"

"Do you have any Scouts? Any Soldiers who can be equipped with Espionage Gear and sent to Survey the City?"

She pursed her lips. Then shook her head "We've never needed any before. I can send some soldiers to raid more toy Stores though. I'll have them ready for you in a day or so."

"Good. Have them collect some Ninja's as well. I Don't want any Neighbors."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sightline slipped two Kukri knives off th shelves, and into his Pockets. He'd have to remind himself to check his pockets when teleporting. When he turned around, he saw Altermind and Joshua staring at the naked back of the Energy Epic. It was still sticking out of the wall. He walked up behind them. "Altermind, when exactly do you plan on going up against CorpseMaker?"

Soldiers whose one purpose in life is to obey my command? Ten-year-old me would've loved this! Electro thought. At Corpsemaker's order, Toymaker created twenty more soldiers. Ten for him and ten for Scorch. "Sir, can we get some tanks? What about those toy robots that turn into cars? We can do so much with this," Electro said. Remembering his hunger, he sent two of his soldiers to go find food, "Bring me the best food you can find in this place." The pair of army men left him to go find food. This was going to be great.

----------------------

Altermind stared at the naked man in the wall. "What was his power?" He asked Sightline as he grabbed the two most expensive machetes off the wall. With a serrated edge on the back and a foot and a half length, these would serve him well. "CorpseMaker? Once we are ready. As soon as we are, we will find him and we will take him down and kill him. We have to find out his weakness first though. That will take some time and a lot of research and spying."

"But he knew a great deal about Phoenix—you—both of you."
Sparks! An Epic with a grudge against Phoenix that was all he needed. Wait a second.
"Both of us? You mean he knew about our..." He paused checking behind him "situation? That's not possible, no one knows about that except for you now, everyone else from the lab was killed."
But looking back he could tell that these two were not surprised to hear his secret, they seemed almost to have been expecting it, so they must have been told. But who? Who could possibly?
Another sharp pain in the back of his head stopped his internal inquiry. Sparking Phoenix, jumping out of buildings, never thinking of consequences.
"As for why I trusted you, you seem to be the most stable of the group, I don't know how you resisted the urges that Epics experience but I do trust you. Well, there's also something else" He handed the man piece of crumpled up paper from his pocket over, the piece where he'd scribbled on the back in the museum just in case.
'You never teleport without her, and you remind me of myself in the early days' it read.
He smiled as the two read it. "I don't think you particularly want to draw attention to my situation right now." he said.
Taking the page back, he charged it and threw it to the side where it vanished in a small puff of purple.
"I think working together is in our best interests."

You never teleport without her, and you remind me of myself in the early days. 

Nathan went cold. His fingers tightened around the paper where his secret was written in plain, messy handwriting for all to see. His head swam. 

He knew.

It's just a guess, you can refute it

He knew. 

The page was snatched from his hand and dissolved in a cloud of purple. As Nathan tried to maintain his composure, Funtimes lifted the lighter she had brought with her, giggling. 

"You're smart." She tapped her fist lightly against Protector's forehead. "And nice. Like the other guy." With another giggle, she leaned in, point of the lighter against his chin, and said in a stage whisper: "Is he smart like you?" 

As little as he liked the sight of Funtimes holding what could become a tiny knife to someone's throat, Nathan was grateful to her for asking. Protector seemed reasonable, the sort of man who would keep knowledge like that to himself. Phoenix, on the other hand, was the other half of a split personality—the half that thought himself an Epic, and the half that had apparently had an unfortunate run-in with Penumbra. A run-in that had resulted in his secret being spilled. Even if Protector sided with them, there was no telling where Phoenix's loyalties were. Doctor Funtimes meant to find those loyalties, even if she had to resort to threats. 

The glittering one leaned in to whisper to him, holding her lighter against his neck as she did so.
Unbidden an image of Lightwards, soaked in gasoline came to his mind, how did you defeat someone who could turn the entire world against you?
He tensed up, ready to try to fight anyway.
"You're smart and nice. Like the other guy." she whispered "Is he smart like you?"
Ah, they were just doing damage control.
"No, I need to know what he knows so I can protect him, he doesn't need to know what I do though, so don't worry about it getting out, he doesn't know and I don't talk to people often. All I want is to keep him safe, as long as you're not a threat to him I won't tell a soul. Including mine." he said with a chuckle.
"In fact I wanted to offer you something in way of a peace offering." He said, reaching into yet another of his many pockets and pulling out a small metal disc with a loop of wire attached.
"This was something our team was working on before the lab was destroyed, projects a kind of kinetically activated magnetic field, got it from studying an Epic. Anything metal that comes towards it at high enough speeds should be deflected, if it's not too heavy. Should stop most bullets, arrows, shrapnel. It needs a rather specialized power pack to run but given the tanks I saw last night I'm sure that won't be a problem." he said handing it over to the woman.
"If he's going to pretend to be an Epic he needs to be able to look invincible on his own every now and then. We'd better get back to the others soon or they'll start to get suspicious, hopefully they'll just think we're allying in case they attack, should make them a bit more wary. If you need to talk to me again just ask Phoenix, he's a good sort for the most part, just a bit taken away with the role he plays. Anyway, I can hear what he hears so just ask for me and I'll try to get back. Stay safe." He finished, and then promptly collapsed, retreating into his consciousness.

Nathan had met Epics with split personalities before. Usually they came in opposing or complementary power pairs—one controlled fire and the other ice, or one could increase an object's gravity and the other decrease it. He had never met one with Protector's level of self-awareness. Then again, neither Purple Phoenix nor Protector was an actual Epic. 

He was still considering the chance that Protector might be lying when he presented a small metal disk as a sort of deflector shield, able to ward off anything metal traveling at high speeds—arrows, bullets, and the like. Funtimes took it and turned it over and over, gingerly brushing the wire and tapping the disk with a sparkling fingernail.

"If he's going to pretend to be an Epic he needs to be able to look invincible on his own every now and then." He gave a pointed glance toward the street. "We'd better get back to the others soon or they'll start to get suspicious, hopefully they'll just think we're allying in case they attack, should make them a bit more wary. If you need to talk to me again just ask Phoenix, he's a good sort for the most part, just a bit taken away with the role he plays. Anyway, I can hear what he hears so just ask for me and I'll try to get back. Stay safe."

With that, he collapsed. Funtimes tucked the disk into an interior pocket of Nathan's vest that he was sure hadn't existed until she made it so. When she grinned at him, he expected some remark about how pretty the disk was, or how Protector was a weirdie weirdface. 

​"Don't let any of those stupidfaces see it," she whispered, then giggled. "I'll figure out the frequency for the power thingy when we're alone." 

"Frequency? How did you—?" 

She giggled again, still standing on tiptoe. "Keep it a surprise, okay?" 

He could only stare. She thinks Calamity is the Flying Spaghetti Monster and knows a specialized power pack probably runs on a specific frequency. What is with this woman? 

Funtimes tugged the corners of his mouth up. "Smile!" 

He pasted one on. 

With another giggle, she skipped over to where Protector—or was it Phoenix now?—had collapsed. "Wakey wakey!" 

Altermind sent out an auditory hallucination to the others. He knew they were in the store and knew their minds, so it was easy to do so. "Meet me in the front of the store. Grab anything you want and meet me," he broadcast to the group's minds. With Sightline and Joshua, he strapped his two machetes to his waist, holstered his new handgun, and carried Flashpoint's new shotgun. He headed for the entrance of the store.

Once everyone had shown up, he showed the group where the dirt bikes, motorbikes, and ATVs were. He told them, "Choose your favorite. They're all available. Don't forget to grab the right power packs." Altermind grabbed a new power pack for his own bullet bike and some new gravitonics. He put those in a bag he had snagged from the store. He'd have some mechanics back in Thoughttown add those to his bike. Kathy grabbed a tame-looking ATV and Travis grabbed a 300cc dirt bike. Looking up, he saw a vulture. Vultures didn't normally fly like that, he didn't think. It was more sluggish and jolty than a natural, smooth flight would be. What could be wrong with it? It flew lower and seemed to be getting a look at the group. Instantly, he made the connection. The necromancer! Flashpoint had said he was in the area and his spies had mentioned something about a Rottweiler and a vulture in the street fight the night before. With a grin, Altermind said, "How would you guys like to meet our new neighbors?" He put a hallucination in the vulture's mind of an explosion in the store. Flames jumped through the windows and burned the signs and sale posters. He had lightning flash down from the sky and the parking lot crack. The bird flew away in alarm instantly.

The others looked at Altermind curiously. Kathy asked, "What do you mean? What neighbors?" She was confused as to why Altermind had grinned at a vulture and the it flew away. Vultures didn't live in Portland. Altermind looked at her and said, "Remember that necromancer we talked about? Well, he may be getting a distress call from a certain pet vulture of his. Be ready for a fight, but don't start one. We have the numbers on the group, but be careful." Your move, Master of the Dead. Altermind thought.

"Wakey wakey!"
Ugh, what had happened? Sparking voice, this was the third time he'd been knocked out today! A lesser Epic would have been killed by it probably.
Sorry about that, needed to defuse some tension but it looks like you're still not used to the idea of swapping control like that. The Voice said.
He slowly opened his eyes, blinking rapidly, he was still in the alley, glittery hair hanging over him he looked up to see the crazy glittery Epic looking more like her usual self than the last time he'd seen her. Not threatening to set anyone on fire at least, although that was somewhat expected behaviour from Epics, he wouldn't admit it but her enthusiastic insanity put him at much more of an edge than her former outburst of violence had. It was unexpected, he still wasn't sure how to react to her.
"What happened? How long was I out? Where's Lightwards?" He asked in rapid succession as he slowly got to his feet, head pounding.
She skipped back as he found his footing and seemed about to say something when he saw something in the air moving at speed out of the corner of his eyes, the shadow Epic?
Without thinking he whirled around, looking for anything he could use as a weapon although he wasn't sure how useful it would be, but then he realized that it was just a vulture, although flying with uncharacteristic speed and direction.
Any ideas what that is? He thought to his Voice.
No, but I can guess, we need to find Lightwards.

CorpseMaker looked down at the Map of Portland. All the Recent Epic Activity was noted in red, the known hideouts of Minor Epics were indicated by Green Dots. They major gangs and groups were also denoted. All in all, it was an Impressive piece of Military Intelligence. The Remaining Officers knew their Stuff.

"Alright then. Here's What's going to happen. By the end of this Month. Every Armed force, and Epic in the City will be answering to Me, or be Dead. Your job is to make that happen. Toymaker and her assistants have been working, and they now have enough Camera's for Us. Captain Tagon, your Job is to Organize them. I want there to be constant around the clock Surveillance on every major Epic in Town. If you find any Tleporters, you are to report to me immedietly. Don't be afraid to throw away men or equipment. We've got plenty. General Jakksmouth, you're going to Organize an Attack on Thoughtown. It's not supposed to Succeed, so Don't bother trying. I just want to know their defenses, and how fast they can Mobilise them."

The doughy General nodded. "Sir, May I simply Zerg Rush them? We have plenty of Fodder to do it with. Sir."

"Well, we're going to Assimilate that town Eventually, so we might as well start with a Rush." Before Calamity came, CorpseMaker had loved playing Starcraft. It was one of his most common past times. Once he Ascended, he killed all the gamers in Portland who had beaten him previously.

"Thank you Sir. That will make things much Easier." 

CorpseMaker studied the map, then put his finger on the Island in the River. "Send an Emmisary to Hivemind. I want to know what his plans are. After that, Start sending out the Ninja's and Batmans to attack all the High Epics in the City. I want more Information. Any Questions?"

Lieutenant Ebbinorath stepped forward. "Sir. We're all wondering if we will also Receive Personal Transformers. Commander never let us Indulge like that." It had caused quite a stir When Electro went Joyriding with Starscream. They'd come back and And reported about accidently knocking over a Skyscraper. After that, Scorch and the Officers each asked for one.

"You'll each get a Personal Copy of Wheeljack in Motorcycle Form. Except for the General. He gets the Megatron Tank. Have fun Boys. Dismissed." He waited for the Excited Officers to file out of the room before turning to Scorch and Electro. "You two have a special job. You get to start Recruiting Minor Epics to fight for us."

Edited by The Only Joe

"Good. I like being your friend." 

Lightwards ground his teeth as Funtimes patted his cheek, her smile cold and self-satisfied. He was furious with her, but he comforted himself on one thing: she was no longer mysterious. She acted strangely for an Epic; this was true. But she had the same undercurrent of hostility buried beneath her smiles and childlike tendencies.

She was just like any other powerful Epic. And that scared him more than he wanted to admit.

Lightwards only half-listened as Purple Phoenix seemed to pass out, only to immediately regain consciousness. He introduced himself as the Protector, apparently some other personality that was a relic of Phoenix's past. An Epic with a split personality--that would make things more confusing. Neither more difficult nor easier; but confusing, certainly.

He was not surprised that the Protector asked to speak to Traveler and the Doctor alone. He wanted to growl in frustration, or loose his raptors on him again. But it had already been established. There was no Empire of Light in Portland--not yet, at least. Of the five Epics who had taken the Museum, only one held enough power to make threats or assert dominance. And that Epic's name, ridiculous though it may be, was Doctor Funtimes.

As the trio of Epics retreated into the far end of the alley, Lightwards shot an angry glance at Remington. The disguised Epic was standing nearby with an idiotic smile on his face, as if he'd just thought of something that tickled him.

In a smooth motion, Lightwards strode to the man and held him by the shirt collar, pulling him close. The man stopped smiling, but he still looked into his eyes nonchalantly. No, not nonchalantly... that look was defiance. Pure, unadulterated aggression and disdain.

"You look at this city now," Lightwards hissed. "And you see nothing. Crammed survivors and petty Epics. Allow me to herald a new age. I swear to you, Remington Springfield, by the end of this month you will be dead, along with anyone who stands against me. The time's not now, not with such powers still at large... but by the end of this month. You will see."

Shoving the redneck back and feeling like a petty bully, Lightwards stalked away out of the alley, leaving his present allies to hold their private conference.

---------------------------------------

A woman screamed.

Shots rang out as a ragged professor wearing a coat over his bare chest and a bright green bowler hat strode into the clothing shop, a pistol striking down fleeing patrons and feathered dinosaurs blocking off escape routes.

Seven people lay dead. Four men, three young and one elderly. Three women, one round and middle-aged and two young, just out of their teens. They looked like they might have been sisters. Whoever they had been was taken away from them, as each of the bodies got to their feet and vacantly acknowledged their new master.

Lightwards gave a little grimace as he raised the last body--his power was being pushed to the limits. But one did not rule a city by staying in one's comfort zone. He needed to improve his power... he needed to get stronger.

He closed his eyes, his head swimming. If there was any resurrection Epic who could take a death without some form of psychological damage, then Lightwards wasn't aware of him. His own mind grew foggier every time, and he couldn't shake the fear and abject terror he felt during every one of them. Jake Subbly and his rifle. Möbius and her cold yet taunting demeanor. Quickslide with his rage and pistol. All of them stood as a testament to a single fact.

And that fact was that Lightwards was not yet the most powerful man in Oregon--he was not yet the true master of death. But so long as he pushed his limits, animating as many Warriors as he could control at any one time... maybe he could rise to his destined glory.

The twin sisters brought him sponges from a back room, which he used to wipe the vile smell of gasoline from his skin. He sent them back into the store, and they came back laden with various suits. He slipped on a loose-fitting buttoned shirt in a neutral blue color, before turning to one of the men he had killed.

"You were the owner of this store?" he asked calmly. The man nodded his head.

"You were a tailor?" The man nodded his head.

"Good." Lightwards pulled out a spare piece of fossil from his coat pocket, and reanimated a mid-sized predatory dinosaur. A Megapnosaurus, a very pleasant-looking dinosaur with green and blue stripes running down its furred body.

Lightwards shot it in the skull. The animal went through quick death throes before falling to the floor, bleeding out on what would have once been a very nice carpet. Lightwards felt the fur with his fingers, smiling.

"I have one final clothing request, Mr. tailor," he said happily. "Procure a tanner. Have him prepare this skin for wear. Work your trade--I want a coat made from this animal."

"Yes, Emperor," the tailor responded without conviction.

Lightwards smiled, preparing to set the rest to work on various errands when the shop's windows suddenly shattered Claudius the vulture came splaying into the middle of the floor, coughing on pieces of broken glass as it swiftly bled to death.

"Oh for Calamity's sake," Lightwards grumbled. He put a bullet in the vulture's head to speed up its death, then restored it to full health. The bird stared at him with wide eyes.

"What is it?" the Epic demanded. The vulture simply bobbed its head outside. "A disturbance?" Lightwards guessed. The vulture, surprisingly enough, nodded its head.

"Take me to it," ordered Lightwards. Was the territory under attack already? In any case, a bit of flashiness wouldn't hurt. He set the two identical twins on the backs of his raptors, each clutching rifles he found stashed under the store's desk. They would make for an imposing pair, he decided. Electing to travel on foot himself, he put a pistol at his belt and allowed Claudius to lead the way.

He didn't have power yet--not true power. But he could make a good show of it.

Voidgaze made her way back to Al, after she dealt with Blowgun. To her relief he seemed to feel a lot better now. Before they could have a talk they heard Altermind calling them out front.

Out there they were presented with an assortment of transportation, she picked an ATV. An eagle flew by, well it did whatever the flying equivalent of staggering is, and Altermind apparently connected it to the necromancer. From what Altermind told her he had a fight with the Epic that broke into her house and my enemy´s enemy is my friend, maybe… hopefully. “Alright, I´m up for a trip.” How bad could it possibly be?

"You get to recruit minor Epics for us."

This was promising. More promising than the raid on the armory. More promising than finally doing away with Layla. Recruitment meant a chance to find Epics less powerful than himself, a chance to show off. "I'm listening," Scorch said.

--------------------------------

Nathan watched Claudius soar over the rooftops, his path clear. "What do you think he sees?" he asked Funtimes.

"Dunno." She shrugged, then gasped. "We should go back to the museum!"

"Why?"

She giggled. "I wanna surprise him."

-------------------------------

Remington's father had been fond of telling a story.

It was a small story, a memory left over from his Army days. And like all Army stories, it began with four simple words: "So there I was…"

"So there I was." Remington could hear his father's voice as he launched into the same family favorite at yet another holiday gathering. He smiled as he set his beer on the table and wiped his lips. "Still in boot camp, still learning the ropes. Wanted to impress everybody, of course, so when I started running miles, I was smart about it. Other guys, they'd sprint the first few hundred yards and tire themselves out, but me? I'd done that before. Stupid move. No, I'd pace myself. Set a speed at the beginning and stick to it. Wasn't about getting there first; just getting to the end.

"Well, one day early on, I started running, same as always—and I realized there was a pebble in my boot. Didn't feel like a big one, so I didn't think much of it.

"I'd already started running, and you know Army boots. Not easy to put on and even worse to get off. I was already off to the races, and I wasn't about to pull over just to dig one stupid pebble out of my boot. Just a pebble, I told myself. I could shrug it off.

"By the end of the first mile, that pebble was really starting to bug me. Still not worth stopping for, I thought. Then I hit the second mile. That's when it started to hurt. But I kept on going. I had five miles to run, and one pebble wasn't going to stop me."

His father took another swig of beer with his disbelieving laugh. "Well, it did. Mile three, and I was limping. Had to pull over, untie my boot, rip it off—and there it was. Stupid little thing. Felt like Mt. Rushmore when it was in my boot, but it wasn't even the size of a marble. Shouldn't have caused me that much trouble, but my foot was bleeding. Had to finish boot camp with a bleeding foot."

After the story came the moral. "And then it hit me: That's what I could be. I wasn't a big man. Just a hunter from Oregon. Just one guy. But if I found a tyrant, and he was the right tyrant, and I kept at it long enough, I could be that pebble. I could be a pebble in his boot."

As Lightwards shoved him against the wall, Remington recalled that story. For as long as the Epics had been around, he had recalled that story. He had told and retold it to himself a thousand times and more, until the details were as worn as an old hunting vest. And like that vest, he had slipped it on each morning with a promise that he would live out the moral of the tale.

For eight years, Remington had been a pebble without a boot. More than once he had been crunched underfoot, and sent an Epic running for softer ground. He had shot, insulted, threatened and cursed at any Epic who dared look twice at him, and most of the time, they had decided he wasn't worth the trouble.

A few had. But they were gone now. Taken his family with them, but they were gone.

But now things had changed. The Empire of Light had chosen Portland as its home. Lightwards had declared himself Emperor, and Doctor Funtimes was his mistress. He would spend his days around two of Oregon's most powerful Epics, waiting on them hand and foot—or performing whatever ridiculous tasks Doctor Funtimes had in store for him. An Epic who made it rain pancakes before bursting into tears would not be satisfied with making him do her laundry and cook her meals.

The pebble had found a boot.

Remington picked himself up and dusted himself off. He shouldered his rifle once again, and smiled to himself. Doctor Funtimes and Traveler were coming around the bend. Purple Phoenix—Protector—whoever he was—couldn't be far behind.

"Everybody hold hands!" she said as she skipped over to him and the others. "We're going to make the museum amazing!"

That sounded promising, but Remington would give her plan the benefit of the doubt. It could involve the world's biggest chocolate chip cookie, or it could involve the world's largest bear trap. Or both. An Epic who giggled one moment and threatened immolation the next was capable of nearly anything.

Remington clasped hands with another servant, a teenage girl clad in black with purple lipstick, and Traveler. His mind was still on the Epic who had lifted him by the collar and promised a new era.

I'll be your pebble, Remington promised as the street vanished. I'll make you sorry you ever started running.

Purple Phoenix turned around, about to ask the other two where Lightwards was, only to see that they were both watching the vulture too.
"We should go back to the museum!" The glittery one said, beginning to skip off towards where they'd left their servants.
What should we do? He asked his Voice
Follow them, you won't be able to get back up there without a teleporter.
Ugh he hated having to rely on that guy, something about him was off, the way he was treated by that servant was deplorable.
Well if we must I suppose.
He followed the skipping pile of glitter and her boyfriend back to their retinue, joining in the circle they'd begun to make.

"Everybody hold hands! We're going to make the museum amazing!" she said.
These two are so undignified. He thought to himself.
Hark who's talking? Fallen out of any buildings lately? His voice retorted.
Ignoring it he reached out to grab the hands of two of the Vanillas, in the blink of an eye they were back to the museum floor. He released the hands immediately, striding off by himself.
So what was this about you planting explosives? He asked the Voice.
Ah, well I wanted to make sure you were protected while staying here so I charged some rocks and secreted them around the place, I had a bit of time so I charged a good portion of the foundations too, should go off with quite the bang when it gets triggered, just be careful I don't want to rain rubble down on the entire city without good reason. How she got this building to float I still don't know, the knowledge of engineering she must have, and the density of the structure, to provide... Purple Phoenix tuned the Voice out as it continued rambling about all the necessary equations, how did it know all of this stuff? he wondered.
Continuing to ignore the voice he strode around the museum.
"Now where's my dinosaur?"

Rounding up vanillas with a dinosaur turns out to be a lot less entertaining than assumed, maybe it´s because apart from Ray´s attack nothing happened. One way or another Nighthound had done enough work for the day.

Granted, he would still need a way to get up there, after they raised it up into the air. Searching for something that could help him his eyes rested on Ray, who was trailing behind him on foot. That should do the trick. “We´re returning to HQ, so sit up.” Nighthound patted the Carnotaurus back behind himself.

As soon as she sat up, appearing to sulk, his dinosaur sprinted towards the museum, leaving the Allosaurus behind; it can patrol the area or something. Not having to trail vanillas behind him allowed for an exceedingly high speed, which made the trip back relatively short.

One they arrived Nighthound dismounted Taurus and pointed up at the flying building. “Your turn.”

Looking at the museum with a bewildered look on her face she also got of the animal and stepped next to him, giving an adorable flinch as Nighthound held on to her.

They jolted upwards and soared through the sky until they reached the museum. There Nighthound jumped into the building. “Hello dinosaurs, I´m back.” Apart from a couple of reptiles standing close to him that gave Nighthound a sluggish glance none of them seemed to care. Behind him Ray also stepped into the building, whistling impressed at the sight.      

“Now my dear, if they are around, you might meet the rest of our… colorful group or, if you are lucky, they are gone and we can have some alone time.” Nighthound doged an energy lance that was headed for his head. “Please, I can understand your excitement but you should wait until we know that we are alone before you start with the foreplay.”

Had Nathan not watched her soak Lightwards in gasoline and smile as she held a lighter, he might have never believed her capable. That Funtimes was so different, so far removed from the one who reached the museum she may as well have been another Epic entirely. 

The moment they set foot on the tiled floor, she released his hand and skipped down the rubble-strewn hall. She paused in the first doorway, one hand on either side of the doorjamb, leaning back with a smile on her lips and her hair tumbling behind. "Okay, everybody go into every room and find all the pictures you can." 

"Tourists don't come here anymore, Doc," Remington said. 

Funtimes giggled. "The dinosaur pictures, silly! With all the plants and stuff." 

Nathan connected the two almost immediately. "You're going to make this place into a jungle," he said with a smile. "Clever." 

And it was. Epics didn't take kindly to threats, but they did enjoy gifts. Good gifts, that is. Handing them a piece to a puzzle or a key to power had the same effect as handing a petulant toddler a favored toy. It didn't always please them, but it usually calmed them to the point of nonviolence.

Of course, there was another benefit to Funtimes' generosity: positive reinforcement. The jungle would remind Lightwards of her magnanimous side, the side that tapped her toe bashfully against the floor while handing him a hideous bowler he was sure to love. Having the museum turned to a more ideal landscape for his pets would send a message: Setting you on fire might make me smile, but I'd rather make your lizard friends happy. And when your friends are happy, you're happy, right? 

"Come on, let's get to it." He motioned the others toward the remaining rooms. 

Remington adjusted the strap holding his empty rifle to his back. The other two—one a blonde girl in black with purple lipstick, the other a slim, brown-haired woman in a flowing green skirt and crocheted blouse—shrugged and followed, the blonde with a pinched expression and the brunette with a smile. The unicyclist pedaled ahead of them all, following Funtimes closest. 

She picks the weirdest servants, Nathan mused. Not that stealing a lowly server rather than watch his death with the most powerful precog in the city was normal Epic behavior. 

The first room had been filled with rubble and blood and a partially chewed Epic, but those were gone now. The blood had become moss, still covering the wall in the same splatter; the rubble a stone cave. The corpse was now some tree species Nathan couldn't name, presumably one long since extinct. A trail of grass led through the far door and into the next hall, around a corner and out of sight. 

"The Calamity's she going?" Remington asked. 

"Starting from the back, I guess." Nathan hoped there was no man-sized Venus flytrap in any of those pictures. No need to give her ideas. "Just….look around. Anywhere you think pictures would be." 

"You ever been to a museum?" 

"Probably doesn't have the time," the black-clad girl said, moving into the next room. "Taking over Portland and stuff doesn't give a lot of free time." 

His influence spreads, Nathan thought with a mixture of amusement and panic—amusement because the thought was amusing; panic because Epics didn't tolerate backtalk. 

"Shut up and look." 

"Oh, he's an eloquent one," the hippie sang. "Soul of a poet." 

So brave. Nathan wanted to smile. 

So stupid. He wanted to scream. 

He was saved from both by a crash from the entry hall, followed by a familiar voice. “Now my dear, if they are around, you might meet the rest of our… colorful group or, if you are lucky, they are gone and we can have some alone time.” There was a buzzing, whooshing noise, followed by an amused chuckle. “Please, I can understand your excitement but you should wait until we know that we are alone before you start with the foreplay.”

"Who is that, dear?" the hippie asked, thumbing through a pamphlet. 

Nathan stifled a sigh. "That is Nighthound. And don't call me 'dear.'" 

"Of course not, darling." 

He strode forward and plucked the pamphlet from her hand, speaking in an angry whisper. "Don't talk to him like that, all right? I may be new at this, but he's not. Just shut up and mind your manners." 

​She smiled and lifted another pamphlet, humming as she did. 

as all of the other epics started to ride off Psy-fi heard a clicking noise. instantly he dove to the ground. he was thrown across the room by the force of the blast. as he climbed to his feet he noticed that the dark grey bike in the center of the ATV's had exploded. the first blast had blown up many of the other vehicles. he grimaced as he realized that the blast had isolated him from the others. he was stuck inside the store while everyone else had a clear shot outside. Psy-fi ducked back as the fire started to grow and catch more stuff on fire.

"Go! I can take care of myself, get out of here." Altermind was standing staring accross the flames, Psy-fi met his eyes. "get out I'll find a different way," Psy-fi shouted.

with that he spun and ran through the store, moving to the back. he went through a door and immediatly threw himself to the side as bullets slammed into the door. he continued to run dodging the other shots going through the room. he ducked behind a box and peeked over the side. He counted at least 4 people all aming sniper rifles at him.