Who would win in a fight?

Xiahida

14 hours ago, Letryx13 said:

Do we know that for a certainty? Teft assumed Bridge Four would be able to heal themselves with the honorblade if they hurt themselves with it. 

Honorblades can't heal Shardblade damages,

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

A full-blown Radiant can heal almost anything (cut from a Shardblade included) because of the way the magic works--their soul is literally bonded to Investiture, and it suffuses them in such a way that even the soul is very resilient to damage.

Honorblades are what you'd consider a "prototype" for what eventually happened with Shardblades. An Honorblade can be used by anyone, without need for oaths, which makes them very dangerous--but since the bond isn't as deep, they are far less efficient. They use more Stormlight, for example, and can't heal to the extent that a Radiant can.

So the difference is not in the device that did the damage, but in the method using to heal. Over the course of the first two book, the reader should be able to subtly pick out differences from what Szeth says is possible (in more than just healing) and what Kaladin experiences.

General Reddit 2017 (Sept. 8, 2017)

Spoiler

Questioner

Szeth says in the first Stormlight book that he can't heal from a Shardblade--

Brandon Sanderson

He can't.

Questioner

So when he got cut he couldn't heal that...

Brandon Sanderson

No. Not with his powers.

Questioner

Not from an Honorblade.

Brandon Sanderson

Not from an Honorblade.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

Edit: Teft might have said that because he didn't know what an Honorblade is and what it can do. Nobody knows that really, except for Szeth or Stormfather. They just assumed it can do the same things that Kaladin can.

Spoiler

Questioner (paraphrased)

Szeth in the prologue of book one says he can't heal from a Shardblade wound, but Kaladin can. What is the distinction there?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

You should be looking to see if you can find other distinctions between what Szeth says and what happens to Kaladin, because there's three or four big inconsistencies.

Words of Radiance Washington, DC signing (March 20, 2014)

Edited by alder24

10 hours ago, Argenti said:

No, I mean they capitalize Nightblood, like NightBlood. I'm guessing they say ShardBlade, HonorBlade, and CoinShot, horrifying stuff like that. You capitalize the first letter in Coinshot, they capitalize each word independently like a monster.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I don't think it's technically proper to do that with a compound word, but, then again, it's not like we're writing essays here (okay, some basically are :D).

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

Honorblades can't heal Shardblade damages,

Reveal hidden contents

Brandon Sanderson

A full-blown Radiant can heal almost anything (cut from a Shardblade included) because of the way the magic works--their soul is literally bonded to Investiture, and it suffuses them in such a way that even the soul is very resilient to damage.

Honorblades are what you'd consider a "prototype" for what eventually happened with Shardblades. An Honorblade can be used by anyone, without need for oaths, which makes them very dangerous--but since the bond isn't as deep, they are far less efficient. They use more Stormlight, for example, and can't heal to the extent that a Radiant can.

So the difference is not in the device that did the damage, but in the method using to heal. Over the course of the first two book, the reader should be able to subtly pick out differences from what Szeth says is possible (in more than just healing) and what Kaladin experiences.

General Reddit 2017 (Sept. 8, 2017)

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

Szeth says in the first Stormlight book that he can't heal from a Shardblade--

Brandon Sanderson

He can't.

Questioner

So when he got cut he couldn't heal that...

Brandon Sanderson

No. Not with his powers.

Questioner

Not from an Honorblade.

Brandon Sanderson

Not from an Honorblade.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

Edit: Teft might have said that because he didn't know what an Honorblade is and what it can do. Nobody knows that really, except for Szeth or Stormfather. They just assumed it can do the same things that Kaladin can.

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner (paraphrased)

Szeth in the prologue of book one says he can't heal from a Shardblade wound, but Kaladin can. What is the distinction there?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

You should be looking to see if you can find other distinctions between what Szeth says and what happens to Kaladin, because there's three or four big inconsistencies.

Words of Radiance Washington, DC signing (March 20, 2014)

I usually skip the prologue of WoK when I listen to that book, so it's been a while since I've covered that.  I'd forgotten that Szeth said that. And I wasn't aware of the WoB. Thanks.

Hopefully that's the only thing the Honor Blades can't heal.

Edited by Letryx13

On 4/5/2023 at 10:20 AM, Xiahida said:

Fullborn versus unchained bondsmith! Running is not an option.

Fullborn: Has access to infinite metals but no atium but if he wants to compound he has to do it during the fight. The metalminds can be filled a small bit before the fight so they can compound it.

Bondsmith: Have bonded a spren. Have spent a long time studying their powers and have no boundaries.

Who will win and how?

right. so.  the bondsmith wins seven ways from Sunday. honestly im not sure why you hindered the fullborn there's not much he can do. im like very confident we have a wob that flat-out says an unchained bondsmith would wipe the floor with a fullborn. like its not even funny. the bondsmith can just, steal the fullborns connection to their powers. or severe their connection to preservation so they have no power supply. or make an army of fullborns. The only counter i can see is the fullborn attempting to use hemolurgy to steal the bondsmiths powers before they can do the same. which would be INCREDIBLY difficult. and im not even sure if thqt would work, it would be a huge gamble. bondsmiths are like binding shards and stuff. its a totally different power scale. if the fullborn had an infinite supply of atium i think they would still lose. im genuinly struggling to think of any way the fullborn can gain an advantage here and the only ones i can think of are maybe, they can move quicker than the bondsmith can react, but the bondsmith can just alter their connection to time or something and be faster. the problem is we don't know the limits of a bondsmith, and a fullborn has some pretty clear limits, its the whole jist of their magic system. i think the only thing that could counter a bondsmith is a team of highly skilled and cosmere aware elantrians.