Radiant Platespren

Kendelian

This topic circulates every month, so:

1. Windrunners: Windspren (we know)
  2. Elsecallers: Logicspren (we know)
  3. Skybreakers: Starspren 
  4. Bondsmith: Gloryspren (very heavily hinted in OB)
  5. Edgedancers: Lifespren
  6. Lightweavers: Creationspren (WoB confirmed)
  7. Dustbringers: Flamespren
  8. Willshapers: Captivityspren (or Musicspren)
  9. Truthwatchers: Concentrationspren 
  10. Stonewards: Painspren

And to finish, I stand my ground once more #HungersprenForLift!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 5:38 PM, alder24 said:
  • Skybreakers: Starspren 

This one is hotly contested because star spren are rather rare. The other common one is Gravityspren/ Gravitationspren or Luckspren.

1 hour ago, Argenti said:

This one is hotly contested because star spren are rather rare. The other common one is Gravityspren/ Gravitationspren or Luckspren.

Logic spren are rare, but that doesn't stop them from being platespren.

9 hours ago, Argenti said:

We don’t really know how rare starspren are since they can only be seen from certain angles. They could be everywhere for all we know. Also, we don’t have info for the frequency of gravitationspren; we’ve never ‘seen’ them directly.

9 hours ago, Argenti said:

While they're rare, they're still visible in the night sky quite often, they might be very rare in CR, but in PR they're not that rare to make them not a valid candidate for a plate spren. Logicspren are rare in the east, yet they are plate spren, Windspren are very rare in CR, but they are making plates. So why not Starspren who were witnessed by Kaladin as early as WoK ch 40? Rarity doesn't mean nothing when we're talking about Radiants who attract their spren to them.

It was the time between moons, and so he was lit mostly by the firelight; there was a spray of stars in the sky above. Several of those moved about, the tiny pinpricks of light chasing after one another, zipping around like distant, glowing insects.

And just look how much in common they have with Highspren - Starspren for Skybreakers who have Highspren for Radiant spren, looking like a black tear in the air with stars shining within. I don't know how much clearer I can get.

Kaladin's plate isn't made out of Bindspren, Jasnah's plate isn't out of Transformationspren, so why Skybreakers would have Gravityspren for a plate while they have less in common with gravity than Windrunners?

3 hours ago, Argenti said:

Hence hotly contested.

By whom?

Hotly contested implies that the ones in favor are vehemently in favor (which is true) and those that aren't are vehemently against(which is not).

11 hours ago, Marabout said:

Logic Spren are probably only rare in Alethkar because it’s full of meatheads ;)

Starspren are probably only rare in the CR, because there aren't stars there.

7 hours ago, Frustration said:

By whom?

Hotly contested implies that the ones in favor are vehemently in favor (which is true) and those that aren't are vehemently against(which is not).

Either way, the fact that we're discussing this proves my point. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, JohnnyKaizen said:

We do? I'm not doubting you, I'm doubting my own memory. I assume I'll come across this in my RoW re-read?

Yes, Jasnah's chapters. And this:

Spoiler

ExhibitAa

We know now Kaladin's plate is made of windspren. Is Jasnah's made of logicspren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

General Reddit 2020 (Nov. 24, 2020)

14 minutes ago, Kendelian said:

I don’t think that captivityspren would bond Willshapers because captivityspren are more or less the opposite of the Willshaper oaths.

Do windspren cause wind, or are they attracted to it? Do captivityspren imprison people, or are they just embodiment of being held captive?

For now Willshapers are about freeing captives, but I suspect later they will have to face the idea that some people deserve to be imprisoned, and they need to help them to rehabilitate to reintegrate into society. Or about freeing Singers from Odium's influence. Two options, for the first one captivityspren fit very well, for the second one musicspren. Musicspren fit Willshapers well in general, because of the similarities to their spren. 

7 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

I think we've known for awhile now that different Orders shape their Plate from different Spren. Doesn't that mean that they all have a special function outside of the basic?

Possibly, but we don’t really know. We’ve only seen Kaladin using his Plate in an interesting way, so until we see another Radiant with a unique ability opinions will be split. I personally think yes, each Order has a unique Plate ability.

11 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

I think we've known for awhile now that different Orders shape their Plate from different Spren. Doesn't that mean that they all have a special function outside of the basic?

Possible. Kaladin used his plate to protect others and to stop winds, but Jasnah didn't do anything unusual with her plate.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 0:58 PM, Frustration said:

Jasnah was also trying to not do anything unusual with it.

On 4/24/2023 at 0:59 PM, alder24 said:

I know, that's why I said it's possible.

Well, not only that, but she was actively trying to keep a low profile. And by the time she had zero spoons left, she still fought relatively "quietly" as the only plated radiant on the battlefield. I would think she'd keep that under wraps in that situation.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyKaizen said:

Well, not only that, but she was actively trying to keep a low profile. And by the time she had zero spoons left, she still fought relatively "quietly" as the only plated radiant on the battlefield. I would think she'd keep that under wraps in that situation.

Again, that's why I said it's possible that each platespren has a different special function. Just read 2 more posts up.

• 2 months later...