Light terminology for other Shards

lacrossedeamon

If someone from Roshar became a worldhopper and was renaming the gaseous Investiture of other Shards as ______light in the typical Rosharan way what would the others be?

• Honor = Stormlight
  • Cultivation = Lifelight
  • Odium = Voidlight
  • Preservation = Mistlight?
  • Ruin = Hazelight?
  • Devotion = Lovelight?
  • Dominion = Lordlight?
  • Endowment = Colorlight?
  • Autonomy = Solelight? (this is a pun as auto=sole=sol=sun)
  • Ambition = ???
  • Mercy = ???
  • Valor = ???
  • Whimsy = ???
  • Invention = ???
  • SP3 = ???
  • Wisdom/Prudence = ???

We also have some names for combined Light

• Honor/Odium = Warlight
  • Honor/Cultivation = Towerlight
  • Cultivation/Odium = Ancestorlight?
  • Harmony = Metallight?
  • Dor = ???

I saw there was some discussion on the Cultivation/Odium mix but was wondering if there are any other ideas floating around out there?

35 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

I was thinking of this as Ashlight personally.

Lordlight and Solelight sound awesome.

Maybe Ambition's Light would be called something like Shadelight or Shadowlight?

Ashlight is good. Rustlight is another possibility.

Shadelight is really good given the limited information we have about the Threnody system.

Solelight sounds great. Good pun.

Problem with Mistlight/Ashlight is that Ruin's gaseous investiture also manifests as the Mist, so calling only Preservation's one as a Mistlight is misleading.

All light names that we know are associated either with a source (storm/tower), the Rhythm (war) or the Shard's Intent/way of influencing (life/void). By using this, Bloodlight would be a great name for Ruin's as it's how Hemalurgy works. Breaths could be called Soullight, because its source is a soul, but also something like Giftlight could be used, as it's close to Shard's intent. Mistlight for Harmony would be fitting, as he combines both Ruin's and Preservation's Mists, and Mists are the source of this "light". No idea for Preservation. And I think those are all Shard's gaseous investiture that we have seen. 

51 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Solelight sounds great. Good pun.

Problem with Mistlight/Ashlight is that Ruin's gaseous investiture also manifests as the Mist, so calling only Preservation's one as a Mistlight is misleading.

All light names that we know are associated either with a source (storm/tower), the Rhythm (war) or the Shard's Intent/way of influencing (life/void). By using this, Bloodlight would be a great name for Ruin's as it's how Hemalurgy works. Breaths could be called Soullight, because its source is a soul, but also something like Giftlight could be used, as it's close to Shard's intent. Mistlight for Harmony would be fitting, as he combines both Ruin's and Preservation's Mists, and Mists are the source of this "light". No idea for Preservation. And I think those are all Shard's gaseous investiture that we have seen. 

I specifically chose Hazelight to contrast Mistlight in the way Hazekillers are meant to oppose Mistings/Mistborns. If we wanna specifically use a term more related to the Investiture though I could see Deeplight as the Deepness was caused by Ruin adding his Investiture to the Mists. Rust I felt does reflect Ruin’s Intent given that it symbolizes entropy.

I used Colorlight for Breaths on similar justifications that you used Bloodlight for Ruin given how color is important to Awakening but since it’s Rhythm is most likely the Iridescent Tones but Iridescentlight is a bit much. Soullight and Solelight would be problematic phonetically (although only in English which of course is not a language in the cosmere), but I also feel conceptually it might be too similar to Lifelight. I do like Giftlight though.

Harmony is one of the hardest due to its dual nature. While I think Preservation’s Investiture would be classified as Mistlight by Rosharans after the fact given that it no longer exists as such I could see them carrying that term over for Harmony as. The problem with this though is that even though the Investiture is expressed in similar ways the Rhythms would obviously be different. Preservation’s Rhythm is basically only described as pulses when Vin is searching for it so maybe Pulselight but I kinda want both Ruin’s and Preservation’s to be thematically tied. The only way to get Harmony on theme as well would be to go with Foglight which while funny is a bit too silly.

And yeah I think that’s all the explicit gaseous Investiture we’ve seen in released works. I do assume the solar radiation is the gaseous Investiture on Taldain but it hasn’t been explicitly stated as such. Additionally not a gaseous Investiture but we do get the unnamed Rhythm combining Oduim and Cultivation.

Yeah I think Iridescent Tones refers to a harmony (heh) of color and sound.

The whole gaseous Investiture thing is really weird, because Breath is very different from Light is very different from Mist (and Mist, at least, isn't actually *gaseous* - it seems basically Physically identical to real water mist, even leaving water behind on the ground, and mist is a suspension of tiny liquid droplets, not a gas).

I wonder if Cultivation on Scadrial would create a green Mist and Harmony on Roshar would create a uniformly white Light?

But it may be even weirder than just strictly being planet-dependent, because there is a green Lifelight Mist in the Nightwatcher's Valley.

• 2 weeks later...