Are Rhyshadium part chull?

lacrossedeamon

I don't think chulls and horses could breed. They're just too different. Dog can't reproduce with a cat nor it can't with crabs. While humans and Singers are relatively close to each other, humanoid shape, origin, genetics too most likely etc, horses and chulls doesn't have that. I think horses attracted sprens are bond with them, which slowly changed their appearance into Ryshadium. Chulls makes cocoons and breed by way of laying eggs. 

2 hours ago, alder24 said:

I don't think chulls and horses could breed. They're just too different. Dog can't reproduce with a cat nor it can't with crabs. While humans and Singers are relatively close to each other, humanoid shape, origin, genetics too most likely etc, horses and chulls doesn't have that. I think horses attracted sprens are bond with them, which slowly changed their appearance into Ryshadium. Chulls makes cocoons and breed by way of laying eggs. 

Well, Singers are actually quite different from humans, they aren't even mammals.

However I agree that Horse and Chulls would not be able to produce offspring.

22 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Well, Singers are actually quite different from humans, they aren't even mammals.

That's why I said "relatively". But Singers have breasts that are bigger in Mateform, which means milk, and breastfeeding, they have skin and hair, and give birth to living children, probably also warm-blooded - unique characteristics of mammals. And if platypus is a mammal, why not Singers?

22 minutes ago, KaladinWorldsinger said:

I forgot, is this real or just a headcanon?

4 minutes ago, alder24 said:

That's why I said "relatively". But Singers have breasts that are bigger in Mateform, which means milk, and breastfeeding, they have skin and hair, and give birth to living children, probably also warm-blooded - unique characteristics of mammals. And if platypus is a mammal, why not Singers?

I misremembered the WoB, it's not quite as definitive as I thought

Spoiler

VeryNiceName16

Why does mateform have breasts? It's not the form they use to raise kids, so is this some kind of human influence on the lifespren?

Brandon Sanderson

I'll RAFO that for now. It is something I have actually thought about and I might get into, I might not.

There are plenty of mammals who do not have breasts as a... Enlarged breasts is a secondary sexual characteristic, how about that? In humans it is generally considered by biologists to be a form of displaying readiness and desire to mate. So, not necessarily there for the babies, if that makes sense. And I think it is a similar thing with mateform.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/482/#e15305

2 hours ago, Marabout said:

But does it work the other way?  Are there any non-mammals in nature that have mammary glands?  I can’t think of any.  And also, humans are the only mammal that has permanent breasts which would make Singers pretty darn close to humans.

Do we know if singers actually breastfeed or do they just have a secondary sex characteristic that resembles that of humans? There are a lot of non mammals that have secondary sex characteristic that run the gamut of features.

58 minutes ago, Frustration said:

No mammals have carapace either.

Khem khem Armadillo 

The armor is formed by plates of dermal bone covered in relatively small overlapping epidermal scales called "scutes" which are composed of keratin. Most species have rigid shields over the shoulders and hips, with a number of bands separated by flexible skin covering the back and flanks.

Similar, made out of calcium, so its very close.

Edited by alder24

To be honest, the biology of Rosharan species is kind of weird anyway. Most species seem to have six limbs, for one thing, (while Chasmfiends seem to have a lot more), but the sapient species, specifically the Siah Aimians and the Singers, both only have 4 limbs. This to me hints that the sapient species on Roshar might not be there through natural evolution, or at least had their biology altered, given that, based on real-world examples, species tend to be pretty far apart if they evolved different limb counts.

If the Siah Aimians and Singers did have their biology tampered with, or were created by Adonalsium, it wouldn't be that strange for them to have genetics compatible with humans, given that humans iirc were created by Adonalsium as well.

30 minutes ago, kenod said:

To be honest, the biology of Rosharan species is kind of weird anyway. Most species seem to have six limbs, for one thing, (while Chasmfiends seem to have a lot more), but the sapient species, specifically the Siah Aimians and the Singers, both only have 4 limbs. This to me hints that the sapient species on Roshar might not be there through natural evolution, or at least had their biology altered, given that, based on real-world examples, species tend to be pretty far apart if they evolved different limb counts.

If the Siah Aimians and Singers did have their biology tampered with, or were created by Adonalsium, it wouldn't be that strange for them to have genetics compatible with humans, given that humans iirc were created by Adonalsium as well.

Neither of the aimians are native to Roshar.