Scriptures

Lord Gregorio

Aight. So in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner someone shared a cool scripture and I figured I'd make a thread where people could throw their favorite scriptures. Hopefully there isn't another thread like this. :mellow:Doesn't matter what religion you're a part of. I'll start off as soon as I find one. :lol:

Hebrew 11:1

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

(Maybe not my favorite, but one I found in my annotations)

Edited by Gregorio

Romans 8:38-39:

"38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Edited by Shallan Stormblessed

this is a doctrinal mastery verse I like from seminary

Mathew 11:28-30

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your soles

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Here are a few that I like:

Moses 1:33

"And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the son I have created them, which is mine only begotten."

Abraham 3:22-23

"Now the Lord had shown unto me, Abraham, the intelligences that were organized before the world was; and among all these there were many of the noble and great ones;

And God saw these souls that they were good, and he stood in the midst of them, and he said: These I will make my rulers; for he stood among those that were spirits, and he saw that they were good; and he said unto me: Abraham, thou art one of them; thou wast chosen before thou wast born."

I like all of Abraham 3, actually. So confusing...but I like it.

Romans 8:16-17

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together."

And this last one is probably what I'll put on my mission plaque when that time comes. If I get one.

D&C 76:22-24

"And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—

That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God."

John 15:13

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down his life for his friends."

James 4:14

"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

9 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Moses 1:33

"And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the son I have created them, which is mine only begotten."

This start you thinking about the topic you set on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints thread? :lol: 

In the light of this week's come follow me. I liked these:

Matthew 3: 16-17

16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him.

17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Phillipians 4:6-7

Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, thanksgiving present your request to God and the peace of God which can pass al understanding will guard your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus.

this is from memory so excuse any misquotes. This verse has helped me quite a bit and holds a special place in my heart because it was the first bible verse I memorised (barring Genesis 1:1 :P)

My current favorite scripture is Doctrine and Covenants 122:7-9

"7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way, and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my [child,] that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than He?

9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."

In light of the Come Follow Me lesson, I liked the Beatitudes. So here they are.

(My family read the 3 Nephi version last night so I'm using that. It is nearly the same) (it's kinda long so I spoilered it)

Spoiler

3 Nephi 12: 1-12

1 aAnd it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words unto Nephi, and to those who had been called, (now the number of them who had been called, and received power and authority to baptize, was ctwelve) and behold, he stretched forth his hand unto the multitude, and cried unto them, saying: dBlessed are ye if ye shall give heed unto the words of these twelve whom I have echosen from among you to minister unto you, and to be your servants; and unto them I have given power that they may baptize you with water; and after that ye are baptized with water, behold, I will baptize you with fire and with the Holy Ghost; therefore blessed are ye if ye shall believe in me and be baptized, after that ye have seen me and know that I am.

2 And again, more blessed are they who shall abelieve in your words because that ye shall testify that ye have seen me, and that ye know that I am. Yea, blessed are they who shall bbelieve in your cwords, and dcome down into the depths of humility and be baptized, for they shall be visited ewith fire and with the Holy Ghost, and shall receive a remission of their sins.

3 Yea, blessed are the apoor in spirit who bcome unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 And again, blessed are all they that amourn, for they shall be bcomforted.

5 And blessed are the ameek, for they shall inherit the bearth.

6 And blessed are all they who do ahunger and bthirst after crighteousness, for they shall be dfilled with the Holy Ghost.

7 And blessed are the amerciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

8 And blessed are all the apure in heart, for they shall bsee God.

9 And blessed are all the apeacemakers, for they shall be called the bchildren of God.

10 And blessed are all they who are apersecuted for my name’s sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 And blessed are ye when men shall arevile you and persecute, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake;

12 For aye shall have great joy and be exceedingly glad, for great shall be your breward in heaven; for so cpersecuted they the prophets who were before you.

Edited by Lord Gregorio

2 Nephi 2:11-13, with an emphasis on 13

Spoiler

For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so my first-born in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one ; wherefore if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.

Wherefore, it must needs have been created for a thing of naught ; wherefore there would have been no purpose in the end of its creation. Wherefore, this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and also his eternal purposes, and also the power, and the mercy, and the justice of God 

And if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth ; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act not to be acted upon ; wherefore, all things must have vanished away.

Edited by Frustration

38 minutes ago, Frustration said:

2 Nephi 11-13, with an emphasis on 13

Hide contents

For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so my first-born in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one ; wherefore if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.

Wherefore, it must needs have been created for a thing of naught ; wherefore there would have been no purpose in the end of its creation. Wherefore, this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and also his eternal purposes, and also the power, and the mercy, and the justice of God 

And if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth ; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act not to be acted upon ; wherefore, all things must have vanished away.

I love verse 13.

basically all of 2Nephi chapter 4

but 27-28 specifically 

Spoiler

27 And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?
28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.

1 hour ago, dannnnnex said:

basically all of 2Nephi chapter 4

but 27-28 specifically 

Hide contents

27 And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?
28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.

I've heard it called the Psalm of Nephi.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got many favorite scriptures (pretty much anything out of Nephi or Alma's mouths), but D&C 122 has a special place in my heart, specifically the last three verses.

Spoiler

7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

ETA: Looks like someone already shared this one, whoops. :P This is why we read threads before commenting...

Anyways, I'll find another one to share later.

Edited by Slowswift

1 hour ago, Slowswift said:

I've got many favorite scriptures (pretty much anything out of Nephi or Alma's mouths), but D&C 122 has a special place in my heart, specifically the last three verses.

Hide contents

7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

ETA: Looks like someone already shared this one, whoops. :P This is why we read threads before commenting...

Anyways, I'll find another one to share later.

Still a really great one. I didn't fully read the one before so it was good you re-posted it kinda. :lol: 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

All right, I'm back with what is probably my favorite in the entire Book of Mormon: Alma 37:32-37.

Spoiler

32 And now, my son, remember the words which I have spoken unto you; trust not those secret plans unto this people, but teach them an everlasting hatred against sin and iniquity.

33 Preach unto them repentance, and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ; teach them to humble themselves and to be meek and lowly in heart; teach them to withstand every temptation of the devil, with their faith on the Lord Jesus Christ.

34 Teach them to never be weary of good works, but to be meek and lowly in heart; for such shall find rest to their souls.

35 O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God.

36 Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.

37 Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

D&C 25: 4, 10

Spoiler

4 Murmur not because of the things which thou hast not seen, for they are withheld from thee and from the world, which is wisdom in me in a time to come.

10 And verily I say unto thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better.

I like that whole section. Its my favorite.

• 4 weeks later...

Ether 12:4 is one I heard in a devotional tonight and it touched my heart so I thought to share it.

Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.

I had one I wanted to share from a bit ago and just remembered.

Mormon 9:31

Condemn me not because of mine imperfection, neither my father, because of his imperfection, neither them who have written before him; but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been.

I was talking to someone the other day about how fathers (or just parents in general) never know the exact way to raise their children, but if they do their best then they can hope what they've taught their sons will go on to make their sons better fathers than they were. That's been on my mind for a little while, and I found this scripture to go along with it.