Obi-Wan Kenobi

So what does everyone think so far? I have only watched the first two episodes but so far I think it is off to a good start and will deliver on what I was hoping it would. 

Spoiler

I was actually completely caught off guard with the Leia introduction but in hindsight it makes sense and I love young Leia! 

It’s been pretty good so far! I think the characters are pretty solid, even if the fanbase doesn’t like Reva, which I don’t see why ‘cause the actress is doing a wonderful job so far; I mean, there isn’t something for me to like about Reva yet, but there are also no things that I hate about her, so… 

I do have some problems with story and continuity right now, which I’ll talk down in the spoilers.

Spoiler

In the second episode, Reva murders the Grand Inquisitor to death, as you do. The thing is: This will be a giant retcon to Rebels, since the Grand Inquisitor is kind of the main antagonist for the show for the first season or two and the Kenobi show is set four years before Rebels.

I’m fairly sure they’re going to pull a: “Haha, you  t h o u g h t” on us with him, but still. It’s something that I’ve been having problems with, and it’s also something that’s hard to do when the end of the story or another part of the story has already been written out with the characters you’re using, so…

Ewan McGregor has honestly been doing a great job, and it’s so nice to see him reprise the role. Also, they didn’t have to make Leia so savage, but they did and I love it.

I'm enjoying it!  I think I've said it before, this era of the Star Wars timeline really fascinates me.  I don't really go seeking it out, so I'm not looking for the books and whatnot, but it still interests me, especially now that we're seeing more of it.

I also feel like given time and diligent observation, I'm going to go on a whole rant about the costuming, and the differences seen in such on different planets, especially after Andor later this year.

I'm curious to see how the plot works out, given what we know about the later years for these characters.

Spoiler

I was very surprised by the fact that we're getting young Leia!  So far, that's one of my favorite parts of the show.  I think the actress playing her is doing a really good job, and the script is also pretty good.  Questions, oh my word, ten year olds and questions...

My only real gripe so far is that it's releasing on Wednesday, which means I have to wait until Friday because of commitments, and I sometimes get spoiled by YouTube thumbnails.  It was a lot worse when I had Pinterest, though.

15 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I

Hide contents

I was very surprised by the fact that we're getting young Leia!  So far, that's one of my favorite parts of the show.  I think the actress playing her is doing a really good job, and the script is also pretty good.  Questions, oh my word, ten year olds and questions...

My only real gripe so far is that it's releasing on Wednesday, which means I have to wait until Friday because of commitments, and I sometimes get spoiled by YouTube thumbnails.  It was a lot worse when I had Pinterest, though.

Spoiler

I agree this was a very pleasant surprise and I love her! My only small gripe was related to this though. Obi-Wan ask her how old she is when he already knows that she is Luke's twin and how old she would be. I guess I may be taking that too literal though and it was meant to be a rhetorical question. 

14 hours ago, StormingTexan said:
  Hide contents

I agree this was a very pleasant surprise and I love her! My only small gripe was related to this though. Obi-Wan ask her how old she is when he already knows that she is Luke's twin and how old she would be. I guess I may be taking that too literal though and it was meant to be a rhetorical question. 

Spoiler

I took it to be rhetorical, and also exasperation, a bit.  Sort of 'I know how old you are, but did someone forget to tell you that?' 

I thought that the first two episodes were (unfortunately) not that great. They had potential, but it all felt like something we'd seen before.

Spoiler

I feel like I've seen so many rebels/clone wars episodes that are pretty much the same thing. (Searching through the criminal underworld for someone, then being caught off guard by some bounty hunters who want the mc dead for whatever reason.) Like, come on! Stop telling me the same stories over and over again! 

Spoiler

Also... I hate to say this, but I'm not a huge fan of young Leia. I know some of you loved her, and that's fine, but I found her to be... well... we'll just say very annoying. (Don't yell at me, you guys are entitled to your opinions, contrary as they may be. :))

Episode three though, was wonderful.

Spoiler

Seeing Darth Vader put on the suit, and absolutely destroy Kenobi, was just terrifying in the best way! 

Hopefully it took the show a second to get on it's feet, and it'll be good from here on out!

I liked Ep. Three quite a bit!  I cannot wait until the soundtrack gets released, that's for sure.  Obviously the main theme is out, but I'm excited to be able to listen to the Inquisitor theme.

Also, related to audio -  has anyone else noticed the sound going in and out a little?  Suddenly getting softer, so you have to turn the volume up, but then immediately turn it down when it goes back to normal?

Couple random thoughts:

Spoiler

Over the past year I've developed a greater appreciation for acting, and I've got to say, I was pretty impressed with this episode, particularly the cat-and-mouse between Vader and Kenobi.

I'm still really liking young Leia - part of that is my big-sister instinctual reaction, but I also think the dynamic between her and Obi-wan is pretty funny.

On 6/4/2022 at 0:23 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

I cannot wait until the soundtrack gets released, that's for sure. 

I agree, the soundtrack is phenomenal. Natalie Holt also composed Loki, which has a great soundtrack too, so I'm not surprised that Kenobi's music is good.

Episode Five spoilers:

Spoiler

I've been watching this with my family, and neither of my parents thought Reva? Rava? was in the opening scene with the younglings, but I did, so I've been proven right, which is nice.

I did think Tala's death was a little predictable - as soon as she shared her Garrell story, I knew this was her last episode.

Overall, I did think this was really good though.  Vader got pretty brutal there - I liked the touch that he never drew his own lightsaber, and I'd love to see a scene someday where we don't have any important characters around so we can really see the extent of what he can do with the Force to thwart an escape.

All the thoughts:

Spoiler

Holy crap. It's soooo good. After the slag heap that was Book of Boba Fett, I was totally losing hope in the Star Wars shows. I mean, Mandalorian S1 was incredible, and S2 was pretty solid for the most part. After that, though...

Yeah. Boba Fett was trash.

But Kenobi isn't!

After all those years of hoping and praying for a Kenobi show, begging for Ewan McGreggor to return to the role... my gosh does it hold up! I was totally hyped for a ex-jedi trying to help people while keeping a low profile, and... well, it's an ex-jedi trying to help people while keeping a low profile!

Kinda.

Thoughts on the show itself:

• Kenobi himself, of course, is amazing. Ewan McGreggor is a one scud of an actor. Did he ever truly give up the role?
  • I was pretty ticked off for a second, all ""they can't just put all this stuff in Leia's backstory!" And then I thought about it and... well, yeah. Actually they can. I totally imagine that Leia'd been through just about everything by the time of A New Hope. Caputred by the Empire, saved by Kenobi, then joins the Rebellion and calls for him in her greatest time of need? It all stacks up nicely.
  • Third Sister is a pretty solid baddie. Reckless, evil, dark past, etc... works for an "external motives" kinda mini-sith. The actress is pretty good too.
  • Darth Vader: HAYDEN CHRISTIANSEN IS BAAAAACK. See, I knew he had it in him. Blame the prequel writing and his terrible lines. The man himself has the skills. Honestly, he deserves that suit. After the loser who played Vader in Rogue One (not to diss on the moste legendary scene in all Star Wars friggin history), I was a little worried. But he's doing solid! I particularly liked how he barely lifted a finger when fighting Third Sister. Just a scudding powerhouse.
  • Everyone else: Decent! All the side characters are decent. No comment.

The plot is... eh. Obviously it's Star Wars, meaning it's full of plot holes. In that regard, it's pretty iffy. But it's good enough to justify some cool action scenes (even if the CGI is... kinda terrible).

Also I thought I was done with jedi and the Force and the Skywalkers, seeing as how they've showed up in literally every single piece of Star Wars media TO THIS DAY.

...but I think I just forgot how cool lightsabers were.

Just finished it

Spoiler

Dude I really wish I could've loved this show but I'm sorry it just couldn't get there. I just felt like there was just too much that they wanted me to care about and not enough that I wanted to care about tala's death was predictable and drawn out for a character I couldn't really like despite me wanting to like her. Reva was also messy she was alright if not, good until her motivations went out the window for screen-time-padding with her trying to kill Luke. It didn't really feel like it fit her at all.

Darth Vader was still really cool though! He owns ever scene he's a party of and you can truly feel the power behind the mask. But there's some messiness behind his force abilities like he can only do a trick once before he's used his limit. examples: episode three when he extinguishes the fire to chase Kenobi only to the be stopped when... The fire is reignited. If that wasn't Vader than it wasn't explained. And again when Vader stops the shuttle from leaving only to realize it was a fake when the other shuttle blasts off right in front of his face... But he didn't want to grab it I guess. 

And since I mentioned the scene. Tala's death should have been postponed until the shuttle escape because it's been seen that ships need someone to pilot them. Tala should have been the one to pilot it sacrificing herself to save the rest.

I have more opinions but I've been telling long enough.

-sincerely the hunter

Edited by The hunter

I watched episode six, and it was pretty awesome. The whole series was good, although not perfect.

Spoiler

My opinions on the plotlines and a potentially controversial opinion:

Reva:

I was kind of biased both against and for Reva because a bunch of people (including one of my friends who's a way bigger Star Wars fan than I am) thought she was going to be a main focus of the show. Kinda like a Rey figure where they break down Obi-Wan in order to make her look good. I'm glad they didn't go this route, and am reasonably happy with how she turned out. Still kinda wish she'd stayed a villian to the end, but her story being different from what I wanted doesn't make it bad. She had a nice redemption, very classic Star Wars stuff. (Also seeing Owen and Beru fight to protect Luke was awesome)

The Path:

Good stuff. I wish we'd gotten to see some other jedi, maybe a cameo from Cal Kestis or Quinlan Vos, but I understand the need to keep the story focused on just Obi-Wan. I think an organization like this makes sense, and it's nice to see some more of what probably eventually turned into the Rebellion.

Obi-Wan:

Well, obviously this was the highlight of the show. While not everyone I know likes it, I loved seeing Ben start from the broken man he is at the start of the show, then slowly work back to the master he was back in Revenge of the Sith as he's forced to rescue Leia from the inquisitors, then fight to protect the Path from the empire, and then to what he became at the end, a step closer to that wise old man in the desert. His final fight with Vader was awesome, as was all their interactions, and I loved that his need to protect Luke and Leia were what forced him to start growing back to being a true jedi master. His interactions with Leia were all amazing, especially that scene where they talked to the stormtroopers.

Potentially controversial opinion:

I wish they'd gone full prequel flashy with the lightsaber fights. Obi-Wan vs Anakin in Revenge of the Sith is absolutely incredible, and while they did a great job with the rematch in this show, Revenge of the Sith just does such a good job of showing that both of these masters of the force are going all out, fighting to their fullest, and it was just the most amazing lightsaber fight we've ever had, imo. While they did a good job here, probably the best live-action saber fight we've had since RotS, it's just a step down from the speed and sheer awesomeness of their first fight.

I loved the show. 

Spoiler

I did think some of the decisions were  weird though. As some people have already pointed out, why didn’t Vader just grab the second ship too? Also where did the second ship come from? There’s no sign of it before hand, and if it was attached, why wasn’t there people in the first one? And the Reva trying to kill Luke thing made no sense to me. Who was she getting revenge against? I don’t think she could have figured out he was Vader’s son. 

Other than that though, it was amazing. I really liked how they brought back the Grand Inquisitor, because really, that was a wimpy death scene for someone who should have been a main villain. I liked Leia at the end. Liked Obi-Wan talking to Reva in episode 5, I think? Vader was satisfyingly brutal. The fight with Reva was pretty cool, cause he was just so much more skilled. But no scene in ANY movie or show will ever beat the scene in Rogue One. Two things I found funny though, (1 Obi-Wan ages HORRIBLY. A New Hope is like, what? ten years after the show, and his hair is completely white. (2 I kept expecting the Inquisitors to have spikes through their eyes

Overall B+

Spoiler

I agree with others Reva trying to kill Luke did not make a lot of sense. It felt contrived so her and Obi-Wan could have the conversation and conclude her redemption arc. 

I also agree on the inconsistencies of Darth Vader's powers. I also thought the scene where he buries Obi-Wan alive was kinda dumb. After searching for him all that time to kill him he just assumes he's dead? No confirmation? Can he not "feel" him? The fight though was awesome and heartbreaking. 

I really liked young Leia and Obi-Wan's interaction with her. I thought Ewan did an amazing acting job of course I do not think anyone thought he wouldn't. I liked his evolution from broken to bada$$. One of the highlights for me was the Vader and Reva showdown. 

It was amazing! Just finished the finale last night thoughts: 

Spoiler

Reva was an interesting character, and I wish her plot had gone a bit differently, but it was great the way it was. Young Leia is amazing and one of my new favorite people! Ewan McGregor was amazing as always, and the Hayden Christensen scenes were super cool as well. It was fun to see the start of the rebellion!! That was a great addition to the whole thing.

So, I like my Star Wars with more holes than Swiss Cheese (this statement should be applied with as many gaps as desired depending on whatever frame of mind I'm in) and as such:

Spoiler

I'll forgive the hyperspace stuff.

Moving onto other thoughts:

Spoiler

Number one, they used some of the music from The Empire Strikes Back soundtrack, and it is coincidentally one of the sections I really like from that soundtrack.  In general, I really enjoyed the music, and I sincerely hope I can find it soon.  I'd like to listen to it before deciding if I want to purchase it, and I'd like a CD, but that might not be super feasible with how music seems to work these days.

Number two, I think this last duel did a really good job of conveying the size of a seven foot colossus of a cyborg.  That could also be since I've not seen the original trilogy in a bit, but I was struck by that.  No wonder Darth Vader is so terrifying - when you finally understand what people are seeing when they see Vader, it's a moment.  My dude is two feet taller than me and breathes like that, that's one of the scariest things I can imagine, especially with that reputation.  The duel in general I thought was pretty good.  I'm not super picky about things like that, and some of the choices with when and where the red and blue glows were placed was really good.  The overlay of Anakin and Darth Vader's voices was pretty neat, and also getting to see the helmet break in live action.  The only time I remember that in any other Star Wars media was Star Wars Rebels, so seeing that was pretty interesting, and I think they did a good job with it.

I really don't think Rava should have survived.  That's my one real quibble, and I can live with it, I just don't think that the wound she received was survivable.  My plot hole philosophy is skipping this on personal preference.  

All in all, I think it was a pretty solid show!  I'd definitely watch it again with friends.

Spoiler

I named the Grand Inquisitor Marshmallow.

Because, well, Inquisitor.

And he's really pale.

And he has ?tattoos? on his face.

And if I called him Marsh, the non-Sanderson knowledgeable person in the room would be more confused than ever.

Edited by Shallan Stormblessed