SP#4 spoiler!!

Eternal Khol

4 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

More important is what is his knight.  His voice doesn't sound like Kaladin.  And where did he get the power to teleport. 

I don't think Aux could be Kal, because when Nomad sees Wit at first he calls out "Kal?" This makes me think Kaladin is still somewhere and not a chunk of investiture bonded to Sigzil.

An interesting note here is that is seems to be quite far in the future- Sigzil thinks of guns and such as modern weapons, seems to have be travelling the Cosmere for quite some time, sees things like electricity and hoverbikes as things he's encountered on many world, Scadrian tech has spread quite far- but it still thinks that there are people who love him back on Roshar. People he's worried about leading the Night Brigade back to. 

Brandon had stated that the reason that he has wanted to write The Dust Brigade(Threnody Novel) is because there is a "group" that would be important later in the Cosmere, and he wanted to get the book out so we knew who they were.

Night Brigade is rather similar to Dust Brigade and with all these Threnody connections being thrown in, is it to much of a strech to assume that the Dust Brigade and the Night Brigade are the same?

Maybe Brandon didnt see himself getting to write that book anytime soon and so introduced us to the group where he could

I'm also think about that Invested sunlight. There's quite a lot in Investiture being constantly beamed onto this planet- even Taldain's sun doesn't have effects that immediate. We've never seen power on this scale on display without a Shard being directly responsible. 

So, if we assume there's a Shard in the sun like Autonomy's in Taldain's star, the question becomes which one. Nothing about this set-up is Merciful, and it doesn't feel particularly Whimsy either. Invention is possible, but I don't get the sense they settled into a single world. So that leaves Valor and the one remaining unknown Shard. 

10 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

I'm also think about that Invested sunlight. There's quite a lot in Investiture being constantly beamed onto this planet- even Taldain's sun doesn't have effects that immediate. We've never seen power on this scale on display without a Shard being directly responsible.

it definitely is a lot yeah, but maybe not as much Investiture being thrown around as otherwise would be. the planet must be incredibly small from how it was described.

Has me thinking of this one episode of Rick & Morty

Edited by Eternal Khol

3 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

- does Sigzil now have the same affliction as Hoid? Using weapons/fighting isn't something he seems to be able to do

- is Auxiliary a deadeye?!?! Or "revived" deadeye

Because of that first thing I don't think Auxiliary is a deadeye, certainly not from an honor spren based on the name. I'm betting he used to be/hold a Dawnshard and Aux is the remnant there of. This leaves the question of where did his spren go!

25 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Because of that first thing I don't think Auxiliary is a deadeye, certainly not from an honor spren based on the name. I'm betting he used to be/hold a Dawnshard and Aux is the remnant there of. This leaves the question of where did his spren go!

If he had gotten the Dawnshard from Rysn we should assume that the restrictions the Sleepless applied to her would also apply to Sigzil.

46 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

So, if we assume there's a Shard in the sun like Autonomy's in Taldain's star, the question becomes which one. Nothing about this set-up is Merciful, and it doesn't feel particularly Whimsy either. Invention is possible, but I don't get the sense they settled into a single world. So that leaves Valor and the one remaining unknown Shard. 

I could see it being Valor. The definition of valor, the word, is "great courage in the face of danger, especially in battle" and while the constant race against the sun isn't a battle, per se, it most definitely requires great courage in the face of danger. I'm not sure how Brandon is planning on writing Valor, obviously, but an interpretation could be something similar to Nike in Rick Riordan's books- the kind of valor that is dangerously competitive. Valor, the Shard, could find it funny or perhaps meaningful to test people in this way. Do we have any tidbits about her character?

Then again, it sounds like the people on this planet aren't natives, so that wouldn't really apply... though I don't know why anyone would settle on a place like this, so maybe it's something that started happening post-migration.

4 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Valor, the Shard, could find it funny or perhaps meaningful to test people in this way. Do we have any tidbits about her character?

Just what we know from the RoW epigraph; Harmony thinks she's reasonable (at least in comparason to Whimsy and Mercy) and that she might be willing to help against Odium, and that she wants to talk to Hoid again. Which would admittedly be a bit of large ask if this is what her planet is like, but maybe that's why Hoid hasn't been talking to her and Harmony was just missing the subtext. 

I don't think that the plants growing is neccessarily significant in terms of a shards power. In the past we have seen a planet being moved and reshaped using a small fraction of a shards power.

It could be a splinter of autonomy given that we have already seen examples of them investing a star.

4 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

Just what we know from the RoW epigraph; Harmony thinks she's reasonable (at least in comparason to Whimsy and Mercy) and that she might be willing to help against Odium, and that she wants to talk to Hoid again. Which would admittedly be a bit of large ask if this is what her planet is like, but maybe that's why Hoid hasn't been talking to her and Harmony was just missing the subtext. 

If this is Valor's planet, I wonder what Whimsy and Mercy are like to be less reasonable xD I think Mercy at least we know is somewhat involved with Odium and Whimsy might be too whimsical to be of any use.

Could this not also be a Survival kinda Shard? Constantly trying to survive the heat from the sun? Using(at least it seems like it) the investiture of the sun to survive?

I'm also feeling an elsecaller vibe from Aux? The skipping part could be what could happen when a lot of investiture is used to fuel elsecalling. 

Edited by Infinity Sliver

2 hours ago, Gilphon said:

An interesting note here is that is seems to be quite far in the future- Sigzil thinks of guns and such as modern weapons, seems to have be travelling the Cosmere for quite some time, sees things like electricity and hoverbikes as things he's encountered on many world, Scadrian tech has spread quite far- but it still thinks that there are people who love him back on Roshar. People he's worried about leading the Night Brigade back to. 

That raises a point. How come that they don't know?
So nobofy on Roshar is telling stories about how the Windrunner Sigzil took up the Dawnshard from the dawn of legends and stopped Odium, saving everybody? How is that possible? Sigzil and Wit secretly saved Roshar?

4 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

So nobofy on Roshar is telling stories about how the Windrunner Sigzil took up the Dawnshard from the dawn of legends and stopped Odium, saving everybody? How is that possible? Sigzil and Wit secretly saved Roshar?

I don't think Sigzil saved Roshar.  As he points out he saved Hoid not exactly the same.  Guessing just from the context Hoid got in over his head and had Sigzil bail him out.

Edited by Karger

Also I don't think it's that the Night Brigade doesn't know that Sigzil if from Roshar; it's that they're going to follow Sigzil wherever he goes and going to visit his loved ones means that the Night Brigade would also show up to visit them. 

Hmm, I am confused about Aux being Sigs "Knight". Reading this as "Knight Radiant" would reverse our initial naive understanding of their relation; it would make Sigzil take the "spren-role" in their relationship :-) 

(Funny enough, that is something I was expecting of Adolin and Maya, i.e. that Maya will take the Radiant-role and Adolin the Spren-role.)

1 minute ago, Michael Portz said:

Hmm, I am confused about Aux being Sigs "Knight". Reading this as "Knight Radiant" would reverse our initial naive understanding of their relation; it would make Sigzil take the "spren-role" in their relationship :-) 

(Funny enough, that is something I was expecting of Adolin and Maya, i.e. that Maya will take the Radiant-role and Adolin the Spren-role.)

No. Then he would not call Sigzil a squire. Note that Auxillary uses and controls the Invested arts, like a Knight Radiant. Sigzil just gets benefits from being very Invested.

4 hours ago, TypicalShard said:

" Storms it couldn't be, it couldn't... he walked further haunted by what he might find, worried that he was going mad yet desperate to know. Could it... "Kal?". "

Well this doesn't bode well.   

Brandon was clear in the bit at the end of the reading that this is meant to be read before Stormlight 5. For me this sentence gives me no more fears for Kaldin surviveing Stormlight 5 than I had after reading RoW. As with much of RoW, this can be read as either foreshadowing of Kaladin's doom or that he is destined to live his post Stormlight 5 life focused on endevours that will not impact the fates of Shards and the Cosmere and probably will not feature in the back half of Stormlight.

2 hours ago, Hoids4thApprentice said:

Brandon was clear in the bit at the end of the reading that this is meant to be read before Stormlight 5. For me this sentence gives me no more fears for Kaldin surviveing Stormlight 5 than I had after reading RoW. As with much of RoW, this can be read as either foreshadowing of Kaladin's doom or that he is destined to live his post Stormlight 5 life focused on endevours that will not impact the fates of Shards and the Cosmere and probably will not feature in the back half of Stormlight.

I hope it's the latter :(

12 minutes ago, Hoids4thApprentice said:

This story is set "pretty far" in the future, so Kaladin could have lived an eventful life and died a normal death from old age.

26 minutes ago, Hoids4thApprentice said:

Or this is so far in the future Kal lived a long and fulfilling life and died peacefully at a ripe old age.

On 3/24/2022 at 1:48 PM, HippoPhileus said:

I wonder, can Sigzil eat meat?

He might be able to, as his torment hasn't progressed as far as Hoid's

On 3/24/2022 at 1:48 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Kaladin (and/or someone else Sigzil cares about) is still alive, meaning this happens close enough to Stormlight Archive overall for Kaladin to be alive, or he has Ascended (which I totally support) 

It could be that he died during the events of Stormlight 5-10, but I think if that happens, Brandon's running the risk of being accused of predictability.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:15 PM, Gilphon said:

It could be the survival shard, which would mean the sunlight is it's way to train warriors to defend it(though it isn't working). Maybe I should write up a theory on this. Edit: I thought this part was funny, but enough people appear to have taken this seriously, so I'm disclaimering it. There, done.

Edited by Ta'veren Kaladin

5 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I think so as well, although I'm more curious as to why this happens and how this will play into things. 

Part of me thinks that they're a splinter group unattached to Scadrial or Roshar, hunting Dawnshards either for some nefarious purpose such as destroying them or controlling them for their own means. 

Other random Stormlight notes:

Roshar didn't explode, so that's nice. 

Kaladin (and/or someone else Sigzil cares about) is still alive, meaning this happens close enough to Stormlight Archive overall for Kaladin to be alive, or he has Ascended (which I totally support) 

Or Kal is now on Braize.

5 hours ago, TypicalShard said:

If it's Kaladin or anyone from bridge four they would have to be a Ascended or a cognitive shadow. Brandon says that this is fairly far into the cosmere timeline. "Moderately far into the cosmere's future." 

Yes he knows about jet planes and hover bikes. Definitely been a while  

3 hours ago, Michael Portz said:

For what it’s worth, I didn’t read that in this way at all- to me it was nothing more than a bit of spren attitude :P In the same vein as Lift calling Wyndle a Voidbringer despite knowing otherwise, with obvious differences. But I read it as Aux being like, ‘Yes I am sir spren knight and u are my squire!’