50-word Fiction

Terrible Cliche

Knuckles white, teeth clenched, hair whipping like a thousand angry serpents, she sped down the desert road in her convertible. 

"Damnation".

In the rear view mirror she saw the grinning skull and its terrible hand.

As she soared from the canyon's lip she thought, "You can't outrace death".

Endless

Sand slipping through alabaster fingers. A haphazard attempt at painting. Blind eyes reading from a book no one else will ever read. A neverending hunger for all you cannot have. Eyes of green and speckled blue. A cruel mirror that lies and lies and lies. The sound of her wings.

Child's Play

"We found them like this", the Director said.

Children's blocks floated above the table, arranged in a cube that pulsated and wavered.

"It appears to be a portal, if I reach my hand in..."

The Directors disembodied hand appeared above the cookie jar, high-up on the laboratory shelves.

@Quitecontrary this is a really fun and useful exercise, you really have to pare it down to essentials. Words like Suddenly stand out as the unnecessary bloat that they are. Fun stuff.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

The hero's journey

It taunts me from its not-so-humble abode in every story ever. Can I top it? Crumpled papers pile around me as I brainstorm. Then an Idea comes to mind. Frantically I lay out my plan. I dot the I's and cross the T's. 
"What is it called?"
"The Villains Ruin."

The Old Bookstore

Countless books crammed the shelves of the old bookstore, watching restlessly from their perches; A jumbled maze of ink and paper. They each held worlds inside of them, deep as oceans, vast as canyons. But years passed. They shuffled their feet, and the dust grew ever thicker on their shoulders.

Edited by The Awakened Salad

Mirrored

Given such oppurtunity, they squandered it foolishly with such greedy hands.

Lost in revery, a hyper-intelligent cephalopod looks down upon the dead planet, and recieves the last sentient thought from earth, a pathetic emanation from a dying cuttlefish.

"Why with such greedy hands did they foolishly squander opportunity's gifts"? 

On 7/8/2020 at 11:28 PM, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Child's Play

"We found them like this", the Director said.

Children's blocks floated above the table, arranged in a cube that pulsated and wavered.

"It appears to be a portal, if I reach my hand in..."

The Directors disembodied hand appeared above the cookie jar, high-up on the laboratory shelves.

@Quitecontrary this is a really fun and useful exercise, you really have to pare it down to essentials. Words like Suddenly stand out as the unnecessary bloat that they are. Fun stuff.

Thank you! I like limiters and they're great for forcing creativity out. OMG I haven't been on here in 2 weeks I think. Been terribly busy - new company launch + training season for teachers.

Grief    based on a true story

As I rub the sleep from my eyes, I glance around the room. Curtains drawn, fan spinning, book sit- wait, curtains drawn? Frantically I push them open, and grief fills my heart. Tears fill my eyes as I stare at my dead friend. My plant. I forgot to water it.

Edited by Hentient

Racket

We crouch behind the concrete footing. Aron is dead. We shouldn't have come. Shouldn't have signed the contract. 

Sparky grits his teeth, raises his shortened rifle and ducks out. A storm of fire. He falls, dress shirt red. I'm alone. Enough "shouldn't"s. I slide home a magazine. Facing fate, grinning.

Heartbeats

Ba-dum. Ba-dum. Ba-dum. 

I ran, knowing I was being followed. They chased, listening to the beat of the drum in my chest. Only I could avoid their clutch among us all. So I ran. 

They were getting closer, then, they stopped. I collapsed in a pile of leaves. I screamed.

Edited by DramaQueen

• 2 weeks later...

I Have a Small Existential Crisis Over Procrastination.

Does it ever freak you out that every second is a second never to come back, that every moment we’re hurtling onward on a rock in space? That today will never return and time will never rewind, that you can never ever get back wasted time. 

It freaks me out.

Edit: Pretty cool how people write responses in 50 word fictions. You guys rock!

Edited by Soulbinder
Noticed the replies

Apathy.

It doesn't matter. The passage of time, the irreversibility of time, the ticking of the clock, the fact that we're constantly falling towards the sun but keep missing it. Sure, time will never rewind, sure, nothing will ever change, but who cares. Nothing matters. The universe doesn't care about you.

Meaning

In the cosmos, our choices are insignificant. It's fortunate, then, that we don't see our lives from the universe's perspective. What you do with your time makes a difference to you - that's what matters. Our time is short, so we must choose to give ourselves purpose. Endings define our lives.

Live

On that note, live. Look around. Enjoy every single moment that you experience. Celebrate the good. Embrace the bad. Love who you are and what you are becoming. Love the people around you. We never get these seconds back, so seize the moment. DON’T wait until tomorrow. Start living now.

• 2 weeks later...

Homo Sapiens 5.0

“What is it?”, the youngling whispered.

“Its outer skin is soft. It has no blades for fingers, or claws. How can it defend itself? Only four limbs. No fangs. No scales.”

The elder said, “It is one of the ancients from the portal. From the time of peace and plenty.”

Onomatopoeia

Drip. Drip.

He stood looking down at the urinal and felt a whooshing sense of dislocation.

Wham. Slamming into his consciousness like a 160lb bull mastiff, a realization had clobbered his brain box.

The Brooklyn native in the stall next to him said, "Oh, no mat to pee, uh?"

• 1 month later...

No, I wont let this die! 

Parking ticket
The judge sits on his pedestal, watching as I state my case. I craft my words delicately, hoping he will take mercy on my position. It wasn't on purpose I say, I couldn't help it I say. He looks down at me, and he pounds his hammer. Finally, Justice. 

Edited by Hentient

Meh. It started out good, but I don't think I like it anymore...

Mercy

I owe a debt. A debt that I can not pay. The debt is due, and Justice has come knocking on my door. They have put me in chains, and start to lead the way. But there is someone in the way. Mercy pays the debt, and Justice leaves, satisfied. 

Oh my goodness, these are amazing, guys!

Fixing Things

I look up, awed at the sight before my eyes.

The one I lost, who I thought I could never get back.

He offers a half smile, and his whisper reaches my ear: "Harmony,"

Tears well in my eyes, and I stand. Our lips brush, and I am whole again.

Edited by Condensation

The basement (totally not inspired by a certain Calvin and Hobbes comic)

He really did not mind being locked in the basement. The real problem was when the raw meat was thrown in, the rats had power in numbers. His scars of bite marks all along his body itched as they crept into his mind and he continued his descent into insanity.

Monster

It was unlike anything they had ever seen before. The beast sat in the rounded cage, food uneaten and scattered. It's stomach grumbled, it's hair was greasy, and it's eyes were distant, but it did not care. The scientists stared at the monster eternally imprisoned, and I stared back.

Edited by Scarletfox

Racer

Sunset overtakes a nameless horseman rushing upon the wind; behind him five others pursue his destruction. To the ends of earth would they follow him, through fire and ice would they venture. His horse is a black streak of lightning against the rising twilight, but he cannot forever outrun them.

5 minutes ago, Scarletfox said:

Monster

It was unlike anything they had ever seen before. The beast sat in the rounded cage, food uneaten and scattered. Its stomach grumbled, its hair was greasy, and its eyes were distant, but it did not care. The scientists stared at the monster eternally imprisoned, and I stared back.

That is really good, Fox!! A couple of incorrect 'its' but still...holy scud.

Beautiful

I looked in her eyes, a deep bluish green that pulled me, drowned me. Framed by dark, long lashes, I found I couldn't look away. Eyes wide with fear. I felt the strong desire--no, need--to protect her. I ignored that as I slammed the dagger through her heart.