50-word Fiction

Well, if you want something truly heartrending, here's one. Yes, I know it's only six words. I'm just amazed at the emotion you can get from a mere six words.

Shoes

Baby shoes for sale. Never used. 

Edited by Experience

Candles

Six candles. She blows one out. The rest open their eyes. 
"Dead?" he said. "Me?! What I do?" 
"Dave, Have you ever seen yourself eat?" 
They guess who the Mafia is. They are wrong.
Five candles. She blows another. Another friend gone.
It's just a game right?
Just a game.

I took like 30 minutes trying to write a happy one. Kinda gave up.

The day

I walk down the aisle, my father at my side and my love watching from the end. I wink at him, he rolls his eyes. When I get to him, my father kisses my cheek and lets go. I walk to my fiancé. 
You may kiss the bride"
He does.

Did it!!

Blind

First, I hear the roar, loud and all consuming. The flash that follows is brighter than anything I've seen. Then, suddenly, darkness. Nothing. I hear shouts, confused murmurs.  Screams. I still see nothing. The roar comes again, louder. The people around me shout, run, panic. But I still see nothing.

It's so darned hard to write happy stories.

Surgery

Lily felt more than heard the words around her, over the beating of her heart. The cool hands on her skin were careful as they removed the bandages around her eyes.
Suddenly, a blurry light and outlines of people slowly coming into focus. Color. Faces.
15 years to finally see.

Abduction

“Babe? I know what this is. I’m not afraid.”

She heard a laugh.

She was covered in anticipation, goosebumps, rope, sweat and darkness. Hearing that laugh made her shiver in fear. She can hear her heartbeat drum against her ear, fast, like a precursor to battle.

“You really should be.” 

The Adventures of a Procrastinator

9am, bright and sunny: “I should write something.”

11am, scrolling through social media: “I’m not inspired.”

2pm, engrossed in a new book: “I’ll do it at later.”

6pm, still reading the book: “One more chapter.”

9pm, five episodes into a show: “What’s the point now?” 

12am, finished the season: “Tomorrow.”

What do you mean I’m just writing about my bad writing habits?

Also please ignore the fact that 12am is technically the next day

Edited by The Awakened Salad

The Best Day

Many people consider the day the aliens invaded to be the end. I knew us humans have made a real mess of things and new leadership was required. I was one of the first to bend the knee to our new overlords and have been well rewarded. I consider it the best day.

Oooh, thank you for these entries. I love them all!

--

Alley Addiction

Rishi shivered against the cold damp wall at the back of an old restaurant that closed years ago.

She knew that this all started because she believed that beguiling man. A colossal mistake. She waited for a person to pass by and notice her. One did.

Please, I need cookies.

I mean, not the most creative story, but I fell like it needed to be here anyway. 

Oathbringer

Here it is. The climax. My tears stain the pages, Hands griping the sides. Muscles tense as I dive in the end of Oathbringer. Eyes flying through the pages. Finally I reach Wits epilogue. It was a long journey, but I smile as I wipe the tears from my face. 

Edited by Hentient

The lonely stone

Once they were seven, the gurdian stones of the city. Then there was  a great war, and they became five. Then the cursed hunger stroke, and they were three. And then came the big fire, and they became a "him". And the last stone sat there lonely rotting, and then they were none.

salvation

2000 years are long time to be away from home. Once he was the greatest one, evreyone saw him and thought that he is the chosen one, the one that shows the way. The pride and power made him fall. Now after 2000 years away his father, the king finally forgave.

(Hppy stories aren't that hard to make...)

The Abyss

I’ve been sinking for so long...

Water fills my lungs, pulling me farther down. Down into the black abyss. 

The cold has seeped into my bones. Strange creature whisper in my ears, their raspy voices feeding me with lies. 

“You’re worthless.” 

“Just die already.”

How long have I been falling?

Do ellipses count as words? Because I didn’t count it as one, but I’m not sure.

Edited by The Awakened Salad
*realises I included two ellipses* Oh well, they’re not part of the word count now

On 5/31/2020 at 5:44 PM, The Awakened Salad said:

Do ellipses count as words? Because I didn’t count it as one, but I’m not sure.

No. You counted it right.

--

Subway Announcement

We hope you are all well and safe. 
Please remember to clean your devices if you have them out in public places.  
The virus can still live on surfaces for up to 72 hours, no point washing your hands to pick up a device that could be contaminated. 

*cough *cough

The Benefit of the Doubt

It was odd for someone to be gardening at two in the morning, and I said so. He seemed alarmed at the statement, however, so I returned to him his dropped shovel and continued on my walk. I hope I didn't disturb him; his wife's disappearance was enough strain already.

• 2 weeks later...

Under the watchful sky
A man hides, trembling beneath his bed. It is cold and uncomfortable, but he dares not move or make a sound. Everybody hides once the sun goes down and the stars come out. For those that don’t can be seen, and the stars, which are not really stars, are hungry.
-----

Well then, I think I just gave myself nightmares. :P

Patterns

The equations that govern the universe are inscribed within a Pattern that lies trembling on the hand of a man who is older than legends and fables and lore. He speaks Truths, and the Pattern spirals, and all stories have been told before. The only things new are the names.

These are great! Here's one that's not milky, or dark, but rather bittersweet.

The Wake

"Grandpa always said he wanted to go out like that, but I never thought it would happen".

Placing a rose upon his chest, she smiled looking at his beatific face, the corners of his mouth stained brown.

"100 candy bars in a single hour. Yep, death by chocolate."

Repetition

You wake up. You drive to work. On your way, a car hits you. 

You wake up. You recover. Eventually you are well enough to work again. You drive to work. On your way, a car hits you.

You wake up. You recover. You drive to work. You crash. 

You...

The Whimsical Perspective 

The girl often wonders if others think like her. If other people see the beauty of lapping water and the sun behind clouds. The world, so full of unnoticed magic disguised as music and color. She dreams of sky and sea. The world is always beautiful to the girl.

Blink

You blink three times every minute for one tenth of a second. Ten percent of your waking hours. Let's assume you'll live to the ripe old age of ninety. You are asleep for one third of that. You have sixty waking years. Six of those years will be spent blinking.

Worlds of Ink
There is a quiet power in a book. In the paper a world is contained, built of ink and imagination. Open a book and you become someone else. You join with the author in a strange, wondrous place beyond time and outside yourself, outside the cares that hold you captive.

Two cute ones, possibly unrelated to one another.

Turned upside down, I saw the stars.

You turned my world upside down. The walls I’d built fell apart when I met you.

I do regret meeting you a little. But given another chance, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Because if you had never entered my life, I’d have never learned how beautiful the stars could be.

When I couldn’t, you took the first step.

I saw you standing there, but I didn’t do anything. 

My heart pounded, but I didn’t let it show. 

I wanted nothing more than to tell you I liked you, but I remained silent.

I expected you to walk away, but you reached out your hand and told me “hello”.