Mid-Range Game 38: The Council of Elrond

Elbereth

MR38: Corruption, Spreading

The Council debated long that day, as the sun made her slow trek across the sky. During moments of respite for refreshment, members murmured to each other, trying in vain to find the very best to be in this Fellowship which Elrond had proposed. Suspicion ran high, and all feared the Ring’s corrupting power. Who truly could take the Ring and be safe? The Ringbearer certainly did not seem unaffected. 

Many proposed themselves, for they were arrogant or brave enough to believe in their own character. But consensus was slow to come. 

As the sun fell, Elrond stood before the Council. “It is not required of us to decide each member today, for we have time yet to speak, but I ask that we begin to name the Fellowship, so that they may begin preparations, and we may have accomplished something of use in all this great debate.”

He turned his gaze on Scar. “Bring forth the Ring,” he instructed, pointing to the pedestal in front of him. 

“Why should I?” Scar said belligerently, and Elrond noticed the flush of drunkenness on her cheeks. “It’s mine, ain’t it? I’m the Ringbearer! I keep the Ring!”

“All the more reason to give it up,” Elrond said with a forbidding frown. “Attachment to the Ring will only make its corruption easier. It is only temporary, besides.”

“I’m not scared of you,” Scar muttered, but reluctantly got up and placed the Ring in its place. 

There was silence for a moment. The Ring was tiny, and yet its presence dominated the room and left all feeling uneasy. 

Astranwir was the first to speak. “If I might suggest Bombur?”

Elrond turned a skeptical eye on him, alongside much of the rest of the council. Bombur heard his name and looked over, but couldn’t speak as his mouth was presently full. 

“I will second that,” Beren said unexpectedly. “He showed great courage in helping to restore the Lonely Mountain, I am told. And besides, Sauron’s servants will not suspect him for returning in that direction. Mordor is not far from there.”

Bombur finally finished chewing. “So long as I can take Dronlir with me!” he declared. “I shan’t be going anywhere without my trust porters.”

“The party must remain small,” Elrond said. “Dronlir may go, but not all the rest, I should think. You shall need to be walking for this, not being carried.”

“Fine,” Bombur allowed. “So! Who else, then?” 

A young elf leapt into the chamber, seemingly out of nowhere. Elrond had known a few watched from the edges, but he trusted that fate would ensure any who needed to be here would be, and thought little more. 

“I, Coda, wish to venture on this quest,” the elf said loudly. “I have managed to sneak into this meeting without notice! I am obviously fit to join the Ringbearer’s party.”

Elrond smiled faintly, but the rest of the council was staring at this Coda with expressions ranging from stern to shocked. 

He wilted a little. “Let me join the quest. Please?”

Bombur laughed, suddenly and loudly. “Yes, let him join! Such bravery should be rewarded. He has the look of strength about him. Why not?” 

Elrond considered, seeing little disagreement from the rest of the council. “Perhaps he was indeed brought to be on the Fellowship by fate. Very well.”

Nightingales sang, and a sense of tranquil twilight was falling over Imladris. “We ought to adjourn for the night, then, and meet again when we are rested and fresh to consider who else ought to go. For the moment, Bombur, Dronlir, Coda, come forward.”

Bombur’s porters assisted him forward. He somehow managed to stand with only Dronlir’s support as the rest drew back, his eyes fixed on the Ring. 

Elrond hesitated. The gleam in Bombur’s eyes was disconcerting, and yet... he was better to keep the Ring than Scar, he thought. “Take the Ring, Bombur. Keep it safe, and never, ever put it on.”

Bombur nodded gravely. He reached one pudgy hand forward to take the Ring and slip it into a pocket, which Elrond could only hope contained no food. 

“Go, then,” he said to the council, cutting off Scar’s protest. “We will meet again tomorrow.”

He sat thoughtfully as the others began to file out of the chamber, considering the day. The council was... unorthodox, he had to admit, but perhaps the old ways could not work here. Even with Vilya, the way was unclear to him, and all he could do was trust the council to guide the fate of Middle Earth. 

Bombur made his way out, accompanied by his porters (of course), and this new man, Coda. 

“Come with me back to my room,” he said. “If we’re on this Fellowship now, we ought to get to know each other!”

Coda smiled and came with him. “I’m no one special, I was just... curious, that’s all. I heard there was this important council, and when I heard what was happening, I just couldn’t resist. I want to do something important.”

Bombur was lowered carefully down onto his bed, and he dismissed his porters except for Dronlir. 

“I know how that is,” he agreed. “That’s why I joined the quest to take back the Lonely Mountain, after all! Needed to prove myself. Well, I’ve done that now, and I’m happy enough with my life. I’m not even sure I really want to go on this Quest, or if I trust Elrond’s advice.”

He reached into his pocket and brought out the Ring, staring at it in his palm. “Such a beautiful thing, this,” he said. “Whatever else you can say about him, Sauron was a master craftsman. Not quite as good as the Seven Rings, certainly, but powerful nevertheless.”

“What does it do?” Coda asked curiously. “I mean, I got that it’s powerful, but what kind of powerful?”

Bombur considered. “I don’t actually know. Dronlir, did I miss something at the council?”

“I don’t think so,” Dronlir replied. “They all said it was powerful and evil, but I admit I don’t really know what that means.”

Bombur shrugged. “Well, only one way to find out, I suppose.” The Ring looked too tiny to fit his finger, but he tried to force it over his pinky anyway, and as he did it seemed to change size until it fit perfectly. 

“Bombur!” Dronlir exclaimed. “Oh no - what if Sauron got him?”

Bombur blinked. “I’m right here,” he said, and then noticed that he was in fact not there at all. “Oh. Huh.” He slipped the Ring off again. 

“Invisibility,” Coda said. “That’s its power.”

Bombur grinned. “Maybe this is even more powerful than the Seven! Oh, that will be useful. Here, Dronlir, you try it on - let me see what it looks like from the outside!”

Dronlir smiled eagerly, accepting the Ring and sliding it on. And then he was gone - absolutely invisible, no trace at all left. 

Coda yelped as something tugged at his arm. “Hey, stop that!”

Bombur chortled. Dronlir appeared as he slid off the Ring, smiling broadly. “Here, your turn!” he said, handing the Ring to Coda. 

Coda slid the Ring on happily, disappearing just as Dronlir had. This time it was Dronlir’s turn to yelp as his hair was tugged. “Oy!” 

“Now, enough of that,” Bombur said genially. “I won’t have infighting in this Fellowship! But really, why didn’t they tell us what it could do?”

Dronlir nodded, adding, “Why couldn’t just one person sneak into Mordor wearing the Ring and take it all the way to Mount Doom without Sauron noticing?”

Coda appeared, and gave the Ring back to Bombur with a nod of thanks. “One person might not be enough?” he suggested. “But I definitely think at least someone should be wearing the Ring all the time. That way if we get attacked, that person can get away even if the rest of us don’t.”

Bombur nodded enthusiastically. “Wonderful! We’re agreed, then. Dronlir! Get some food, I’m feeling hungry again.”

Dronlir dipped his head and left. Coda took his leave as well, promising to return to talk more tomorrow night. 

Bombur settled back onto his pillows. It had been a good day, he thought. The food here was just so good. Idly, he played with the Ring in his pocket, slipping it on and off again.

And far away, in the land of Mordor, Sauron knew his thoughts, and smiled. 

Coda (Coda), Fifth Scholar (Bombur), and Elandera (Dronlir) were elected to the Fellowship of the Ring! They were all Corrupted! The Corrupted have won! 

Vote count
Fifth (2): Hael, Straw
Coda (2): Coda, Fifth
Elandera (2): Elandera, Wonko
Striker (1): Striker

Assuming Wilson approves when she sees the results, the game will be restarting in just under 24 hours. During this time you may drop out or join if you wish to. If you want to change character, that’s also fine. Unless you tell me you are dropping out, I will assume you wish to play again. 
There will most likely be a change to the rules around ties, or perhaps the Soothe, but I’ll hold off on what exactly the change will be until I have a chance to talk with Wilson. (And to clarify, don’t take me to mean the Corrupted won only because the game was broken. It’s probably unbalanced, but their win lands squarely on their own shoulders - and the village’s for allowing the possibility of a three-way tie.)

Congratulations to the Corrupted on their win! Also, special thanks to Fifth and Kas (along with others) for doing so much PM RP that I felt truly immersed in the world in a way I never have. I hope the RP keeps up next game, because it’s been absolutely fantastic thus far! 

Player List

1. Haelbarde - Beren Adaeldah (Ranger) Corrupted
2. Straw - NPC (Astranwir) Free People of Middle Earth
3. Fifth Scholar - Bombur (Dwarf from the Lonely Mountain) Corrupted
4. Coda Corrupted
5. Kasimir - Kavan (Messenger from Dale) Free People of Middle Earth
6. Elandera Corrupted
7. Amanuensis - Yuriel (First Finder) Free People of Middle Earth
8. Xinoehp512 Free People of Middle Earth
9. Wonko the Sane Free People of Middle Earth
10. Pejidot Free People of Middle Earth
11. Burnt Spaghetti - Tinuial (Clandestine Attendee) Corrupted
12. Aragorn Free People of Middle Earth
13. StrikerEZ - Striker, bootleg Strider Free People of Middle Earth
14. Madagascar - Scar, scary murder hobit Free People of Middle Earth
15. GoWibble - black hat from XKCD Free People of Middle Earth
16. Rathmaksal Free People of Middle Earth
17. Stink - Ulmo Free People of Middle Earth
18. Young Bard

Doc Links
Corrupted
Spectators
(Master Spreadsheet reserved for reuse)

Edited by Elbereth

Cheers and congrats to the Eliminator team! I'm going to pull out of the next round, I'm afraid, as I'm tired of the amount of RP I've done, and I think I'm not especially inspired by Kavan after all. Thanks for RPing with me guys, and see you around sometime!

Also, @Wonko the Sane - y u no PM :P Given who my main suspicions were, I felt we could've stood a chance together.

GpL-cTpn7dGdSVqPt65heBIP93f5ILTGsV7HqomQZW5xgkv7KOFk5GPfbi21sancOahNYVuLDz_uT6FT5j_kVO9YGxJio93x1aYPfz83sOrdYwNzUDLhudVduLxX57rFB-o2kR_b

There was no aid for Dale to be found in the house of Elberond. The elf lord spoke merely of a trinket of power, a Ring, and the need for a council to convene to debate the formation of a Fellowship who would embark on an arduous quest to cast the ring into the fires of Mount Doom.

Dale did not need quests. Dale needed armies, alliances, aid. Dale needed promises that someone would remember her when the Enemy swept over the banks of the Carnen and the blood flowed like the wine once had.

Kavan rode back to Dale that night. He did not tarry.

Edited by Kasimir

Thank you for the game, El. The setting was wonderful, and I look forward to the rerun, though I’ll likely be less intensively involved once the LG goes up. 

Special thanks to my teammates, @Haelbarde, @Burnt Spaghetti, @Coda and @Elandera, for being wonderfully active and engaged with the game, as well as just being excellent to work and strategise with. Credit should especially go to Coda for his ideas and strategy, which were good in general, but especially for a new player. It was fun working with you, and I hope you stick around for many more games to come :) 

For the rerun, I feel like bringing back Bombur will be difficult, so I’ll switch to Robin Smallburrow, a Hobbit Shirriff fleeing an ale-consuming monster known only as “Sharkey.” 

:blink:

Well, that happened. You'd think I'd be less gullible by now, but nope.

Yeah, if there's another game, I'll play it.

Edit: @Kasimir, I'll be honest, I thought about it, but I was juggling some out-of-game duties, plus PMs with THREE OF THE FIVE ELIMS. *Facepalm.*

Edited by Wonko the Sane

Good game. Good job team at orchestrating that quick win. Especially Coda, who was really good at the strategy, especially for a first game. I second Fifth. I do hope you stick around!

Being on the elim team with Fifth was fun for RP. :P Playing that up in the thread was too good an opportunity to dismiss.

Unfortunately, @Elbereth, I will have to bow out of the next round, but I would like to be in the spec doc. This week is going to be busier than I had expected. I'm glad I got to participate in round one, though!

Edited by Elandera

3 hours ago, Wonko the Sane said:

:blink:

Well, that happened. You'd think I'd be less gullible by now, but nope.

Yeah, if there's another game, I'll play it.

Edit: @Kasimir, I'll be honest, I thought about it, but I was juggling some out-of-game duties, plus PMs with THREE OF THE FIVE ELIMS. *Facepalm.*

Please, I was in PMs with all five by the end :P

Well that was an interesting and unexpected cycle. Enjoyed the time i had with that team, and i'm looking forward to what this means for round 2! Definitely still playing and since Tinuial didn't actually do any evil stuff herself i'll be keeping her as my character. 

Also many thanks to kas for the rp times in the pms- really enjoyed that. Sad to see you go but its understandable given your workload and the sheer amount of effort you were needing to dedicate to this. Tinuial wishes Kavan all the best 

Elrond smiled, breathing in the fresh morning air. Fall was deep upon them, and he’d selected a chamber which was more a courtyard than anything else, full of red and yellow leaves which waved above and scattered the ground in a carpet of autumn below. 

At last, when everyone had gathered, he rose to address the council. “You have come here for your own reasons, your own troubles, and we shall hear those today: but they are all tied up in one matter, you may find, and so there we will begin.”

So he spoke of the Ring, of its creation and how Sauron had used it to great effect and terrible power, until the Last Alliance had defeated him, and the Ring was taken by Isildur and then lost. 

“Its tale from there is best told by others,” he said. “And I would hear all your tales, of why you have come: I know that the Shadow is encroaching everywhere, yet perhaps we may hear a common thread if each tale is told.”

He gestured to Astranwir, and sat to listen. 

The wizard looked old and tired, and his face was grimmer than Elrond could recall ever seeing him. 

“My news is long and hard,” he began. “But I can begin with the Ring. Saruman was always the one who studied the Rings most closely, not I, and he oft said that the Ring was lost forever and could never be reclaimed by the Enemy. And we trusted him, yet he has betrayed us and become Sauron’s tool. How long, I do not know, but I feared as soon as I learned of his treachery that the Ring could indeed be found again.”

Astranwir continued on to recount the tale of his encounter with Saruman and subsequent escape, which he’d confided to Elrond earlier. The faces around the council grew yet more grave, for if one of the Wise was lost, who else might fall to Shadow? 

Phellom shifted uncomfortably in his seat. This was... bad. Saruman’s tower was close to Mirkwood, and his betrayal would put all in danger. 

He wished, more than anything, that someone else had been sent. He wasn’t prepared to deal with this! He’d barely even delivered Thranduil’s letter. What was he supposed to do about Sauron

Robin Smallburrow frowned. This was a mighty gathering and all, he could tell, but too many words were flying over his head to keep track of. Who even was this “Saroomann” that everyone was talking about? Robin had certainly never heard of him. 

Aidenn leaned forward, enraptured. Had Saruman been corrupted by the Ring without even finding it? Was its lure so strong? Perhaps Sauron could enhance it somehow...

He scribbled down notes furiously. If Saruman had been corrupted, the Ring could do even more than he’d thought. Although from Astranwir’s telling, Saruman had been twisted, not corrupted entirely - he had reasoning nominally against Sauron, simply warped beyond recognition. Fascinating. He resolved to corner Astranwir later to ask. 

He glanced for a moment at Elrond’s hands, clearly empty of any ring. If only he could convince Elrond to let him see it, even for a moment, it could tell him so much! Elrond clearly had one, Imladris couldn’t be explained without it. But what did it do? What were its powers? Did it affect psyches like the One Ring did except in the opposite direction? 

He sighed and continued writing.

Striker had no idea what was going on. 

Gwendolyn glanced at the leaves scattered over the floor, wrinkling her nose. They were nearly perfect - Imladris did have a way of ordering itself better than the world, at least - but if she could just move the color patterns a little... She pushed with her feet the few nearest her, so at least the area in her reach would be satisfactory. 

Then she forced her eyes up. Elrond had asked her to be here, and she was here for the Grey Havens. For home. She would pay attention even if she had to bite her lip bloody to do so. 

She couldn’t help looking at Aranmir and Striker, though. She hadn’t seen Men since she came here, she thought. Odd, they looked so very rumpled compared to the elves. And the halfling, too - she’d never seen one of his kind even in the wilds. 

Her attention was caught by the wind picking up for a moment, rustling the leaves with a dry sound that she immediately hated. She clapped her hands over her ears, blocking out as much as she could, dropping her notebook in the process. She flinched, but wouldn’t remove her hands until she was sure the breeze was gone. 

Then she noticed that everyone was staring at her. She stammered something incomprehensible and dove to pick us her notebook again and put it in its proper place. 

“Gwendolyn,” said Elrond, for what she realized had been the second or third time. “Bring forth the Ring.”

“What stories are left to tell?” Elrond asked, when the day had progressed into the mid afternoon. “Speak, and let the council hear your concerns. Then we will decide the fate of this Ring and who shall bear it, together.”

MR38 has begun, again! GM PMs to the Corrupted will be sent out immediately; if you do not receive one you may assume you’re village and I’ll send you confirmation in a couple hours. 

Updated Rules: 

1. Ties now result in a coin flip to determine who is elected, rather than electing everyone tied.

2. The Corrupted no longer have a group Soothe.

3. The Corrupted now must win four seats in the Council, not three. The total number of seven seats remains unchanged.

4. You may not vote on yourself. 

Note that the player list has changed. 

Player List

1. Straw - NPC, Astranwir the Blue

2.  Fifth Scholar - Robin Smallburrow, hobbit Shirriff fleeing “Sharkey”
3. Coda - Aidenn, scholar studying the effects of the Ring on the psyche
4. Kasimir - Aranmir, a captain arriving from Gondor
5. Amanuensis - Yuriel (First Finder)
6. Xinoehp512 - the Observer
7. Wonko the Sane - Gwendolyn (Elf from the Grey Havens)
8. Pejidot
9. Burnt Spaghetti - Tinuial (Clandestine Attendee)
10. Aragorn
11. StrikerEZ - Striker, bootleg Strider
12. GoWibble - black hat from XKCD
13. Rathmaksal
14. Stink - Ulmo
15. Young Bard - Phellom (Elf of Mirkwood)

Edited by Elbereth

Note that PMs are open (still one on one plus me), but you may not reuse PMs from the previous iteration of this game. Open new ones and label them MR38b, please. 

Corrupted PMs are sent out; everything else will come in about two hours when I’m back from frantically getting ready / class!

Some of the loremasters still knew of Imladris in Minas Tirith, but walking in the house of Elberond was still a strange thing for the captain from Gondor. After all, he had been chasing a dream, all things concerned, except the dream had come three nights in a row until he could recount the voice that had told him to seek out Imladris, even as he lay awake on his bedroll.

The roads, however, had been in ill-repair; his horse had been slain by bandits, and he had needed to fight his way through danger and perils uncounted, until at last, he had arrived at the Last Homely House, where Lord Elberond Half-elven, whose name was still spoken of with respect by some within the city of the fountain and the white tree, held sway.

The dream had told him to seek counsel in Imladris; that there would be signs. A shattered sword - and indeed, as Aranmir entered the council room, he left his sheathed sword in the keeping of the door-warden, though he hesitated for a long moment. The blade had served him well on the long road, only to finally shatter on meeting an orcish blade as he swept on upwards through routes in disrepair, encountering only the occasional traveler and Ranger. 

Eventually, he left the sword with a brief admonishment to the door-ward to guard it well. No blade had better served a master, and in stopping the downrushing sweep of the orcish blade, it had saved his life. Aranmir was wont to think such service was ill-rewarded by casting the sword aside.

The dream had spoken of a broken blade. And then, there was the matter of the halflings...

Edited by Kasimir

Well, hello again. I'm honestly glad the game got a restart, since a combination of stresses meant I wasn't able to get on for the last game, at all, which then promptly ended (oops) - my final exam is this afternoon, after which I'm free, and can be much more active.

4 seats in the Council... that would have to be quite a large Elim team - even though the early game favours the Elims, that will change quite quickly as players figure out who to trust, and they only need to correctly trust 4 people.

3 months ago

Thranduil took Phellom aside after the meeting. "There is much of import you must tell Elrond. You must make sure that Elrond hears of this news if he hasn't already. The spiders in the Mirkwood have increased their activity recently, Orthanc has gone silent, there has increased activity around Minas Morgul and Osgiliath, and there are reports of the Nazgul roaming once again. Can you repeat all that to Elrond?"

Phellom nodded. He only had to remember four things. Spiders, Ringwraiths, Orthanc... Wait, what was the last thing again? 

The mild panic must have shown on Phellom's face must have been visible, because Thranduil sighed. "I shall write it down. Just make sure you don't lose the letter, alright?"

Sure. Just deliver a letter. That couldn't be too difficult.

"Excuse me Mr Elrond, sir, I have a letter here for you from Thranduil. He is, er, very keen that you know of a number of threats that have been observed around Middle-Earth. Ummm... Just in case, you know, you hadn't heard at you already, not because you're bad at getting news or anything."

Phellom rummaged around his pack and pulled out an extremely dilapidated letter. The page, once pristine, was now encrusted in dirt. There was strips down the middle of the page nearly tearing it in three, and there were watermarks on one side. Elrond blinked a couple times.

"Um, sorry for the quality, sir. There was a bear of some kind - I think it wanted to go after the supplies in my pack and it tore at the letter in the process, as well as my spare pair of clothes. And then, later, as I was crossing a ford to get here, well, my pack slipped and a lot of my gear ended up soaking wet - I managed to grab the letter before it was completly submerged, though. It's still mostly readable, though, I think. I mean, if you squint really hard at it."

Elrond, seemingly lost for words, quietly slipped the parchment from Phellom's hands. It took him several messages to decipher the very brief message, at the end of which he turned back to Phellom. "I thank you for bringing me this news. Much of it I have heard already, from sources who have seen it themselves, but it is still pleasing to hear of the Mirkwood Elves vigil against these threats, and that we can trust on them as an ally."

He paused a moment, as if this next part came only reluctantly. "We are holding a council to discuss the cause of these matters this time tomorrow, and how we should respond. As the representative of the Mirkwood Elves, you may join this meeting as their representative."

"Yes, uh, Mister Elrond, sir. I look forward to it. Wait, I mean, I am pleased that you would, um, honour me with such a seat in this council, and will make sure I attend this most important occasion."

Well, Phellom thought as they left. That could have gone worse. Probably not much worse, but it could have gone worse.

There was one with a black hat. (GoWibble.) Aranmir would have placed the Quest on his own shoulders, without hesitation, and offered his broken blade to the Ringbearer, but Lord Elberond had made it clear that he expected them to nominate others they felt would be of aid in the task.

He had fought in battles for Gondor, and he had wandered long and lonely paths in the Wilds. If there was a Quest that needed to succeed, it was this one. Lord Elberond's words had made that clear. But Aranmir would respect Lord Elberond's counsel, though he longed to lend his sword to the Quest.

The one with the black hat. He would do.

Edited by Kasimir
Because I derped and forgot to grey Elberond :/

Hello all! I...do not have the time I would like for this, particularly as it’s no longer the weekend, so please do not expect too much RP from me, or really anything much at all (though I will try to sneak in what I can, if I have time (right now that isn’t the case)). 

I...am a little disappointed to not find more here, so Striker—you’ve been around. Any thoughts to share with the rest of us? D1 discussion is somewhat killed by the fact that we’ve already had one, but we’re not going to engender more discussion by sitting here mutely, and I would like something to talk about and vote off if I’m going to be minimally engaged anyway. :P 

Alrighty then, round 2, here we go! With the changes, i think it'll still be quite important that we all do our best to vote in ways that don't allow for any hammering. At least the soothe isn't going to interfere now but yeah. I think it would be good to see nominations with perhaps 3+ votes on them so that when they go through, theres more information. Idk lets just see how it all goes heh

---

This was a task of great importance. Tinuial would happily give her aide to the success of the mission, but they had been requested to nominate others. She did not yet know those around her, so her eyes were drawn to another Elf who stood amongst the gathering of people. The messenger representing the Mirkwood Elves

"Myself I am no great fighter. Yet It is my wish that amongst those that take upon themselves this quest, there is a mix of all races in attendance. As such, I propose that Phellom, a fellow elf, may be granted a place with those travelling as the representative of our kind. They have done well to travel here on there own, and so I have faith that they would do well on this journey as well." 

The writeup is edited in! Also, enclosed below in a spoiler in case you’re lazy enough not to scroll up six posts. :P  

Spoiler

Elrond smiled, breathing in the fresh morning air. Fall was deep upon them, and he’d selected a chamber which was more a courtyard than anything else, full of red and yellow leaves which waved above and scattered the ground in a carpet of autumn below. 

At last, when everyone had gathered, he rose to address the council. “You have come here for your own reasons, your own troubles, and we shall hear those today: but they are all tied up in one matter, you may find, and so there we will begin.”

So he spoke of the Ring, of its creation and how Sauron had used it to great effect and terrible power, until the Last Alliance had defeated him, and the Ring was taken by Isildur and then lost. 

“Its tale from there is best told by others,” he said. “And I would hear all your tales, of why you have come: I know that the Shadow is encroaching everywhere, yet perhaps we may hear a common thread if each tale is told.”

He gestured to Astranwir, and sat to listen. 

The wizard looked old and tired, and his face was grimmer than Elrond could recall ever seeing him. 

“My news is long and hard,” he began. “But I can begin with the Ring. Saruman was always the one who studied the Rings most closely, not I, and he oft said that the Ring was lost forever and could never be reclaimed by the Enemy. And we trusted him, yet he has betrayed us and become Sauron’s tool. How long, I do not know, but I feared as soon as I learned of his treachery that the Ring could indeed be found again.”

Astranwir continued on to recount the tale of his encounter with Saruman and subsequent escape, which he’d confided to Elrond earlier. The faces around the council grew yet more grave, for if one of the Wise was lost, who else might fall to Shadow? 

Phellom shifted uncomfortably in his seat. This was... bad. Saruman’s tower was close to Mirkwood, and his betrayal would put all in danger. 

He wished, more than anything, that someone else had been sent. He wasn’t prepared to deal with this! He’d barely even delivered Thranduil’s letter. What was he supposed to do about Sauron

Robin Smallburrow frowned. This was a mighty gathering and all, he could tell, but too many words were flying over his head to keep track of. Who even was this “Saroomann” that everyone was talking about? Robin had certainly never heard of him. 

Aidenn leaned forward, enraptured. Had Saruman been corrupted by the Ring without even finding it? Was its lure so strong? Perhaps Sauron could enhance it somehow...

He scribbled down notes furiously. If Saruman had been corrupted, the Ring could do even more than he’d thought. Although from Astranwir’s telling, Saruman had been twisted, not corrupted entirely - he had reasoning nominally against Sauron, simply warped beyond recognition. Fascinating. He resolved to corner Astranwir later to ask. 

He glanced for a moment at Elrond’s hands, clearly empty of any ring. If only he could convince Elrond to let him see it, even for a moment, it could tell him so much! Elrond clearly had one, Imladris couldn’t be explained without it. But what did it do? What were its powers? Did it affect psyches like the One Ring did except in the opposite direction? 

He sighed and continued writing.

Striker had no idea what was going on. 

Gwendolyn glanced at the leaves scattered over the floor, wrinkling her nose. They were nearly perfect - Imladris did have a way of ordering itself better than the world, at least - but if she could just move the color patterns a little... She pushed with her feet the few nearest her, so at least the area in her reach would be satisfactory. 

Then she forced her eyes up. Elrond had asked her to be here, and she was here for the Grey Havens. For home. She would pay attention even if she had to bite her lip bloody to do so. 

She couldn’t help looking at Aranmir and Striker, though. She hadn’t seen Men since she came here, she thought. Odd, they looked so very rumpled compared to the elves. And the halfling, too - she’d never seen one of his kind even in the wilds. 

Her attention was caught by the wind picking up for a moment, rustling the leaves with a dry sound that she immediately hated. She clapped her hands over her ears, blocking out as much as she could, dropping her notebook in the process. She flinched, but wouldn’t remove her hands until she was sure the breeze was gone. 

Then she noticed that everyone was staring at her. She stammered something incomprehensible and dove to pick us her notebook again and put it in its proper place. 

“Gwendolyn,” said Elrond, for what she realized had been the second or third time. “Bring forth the Ring.”

“What stories are left to tell?” Elrond asked, when the day had progressed into the mid afternoon. “Speak, and let the council hear your concerns. Then we will decide the fate of this Ring and who shall bear it, together.”

Dear Mortal Fools Who Have Skin And Such,

It seems that it is I - the mighty and great and many other descriptors - who must commit even the smallest bit of my great and mighty intellect to this 'game' you are all a part of. 

Firstly, I know not if any of you puny mortals have this capacity, perhaps it is one saved solely for one such as myself? But I struggle to discern between these names you have adopted and those my senses are informing me of. If we could commit to one, maybe I could reward you all in some matter that is deemed fit.

Secondly, I have other matters to attend to so shall be back in an 'hour' or two, I guess.

Amanuensis. I know this vote doesn't matter, but it illustrates my stance nicely.

Although my exams are now over, I'm behind on my writing goals for NaNoWriMo and would like to make that my biggest priority for the rest of the month. In order to facilitate that, I propose we elect myself to the Council effective immediately. Why am I the best choice for today? Well, I'm not Corrupted, much to my disappointment, which everyone here can take for a grain of salt. But for anyone who believes I may be evil; wouldn't it be much easier to confirm that now rather than give me the opportunity to manipulate people throughout the cycles and/or plan gambits for my team? I'm a momentum based player from either alignment. The more time I have to work, the better I tend to do. So from my perspective it's the best plan for the village to get rid of me now since I can't offer much in the analysis and roleplay departments.

ED1T:

• (1) GoWibbleKasimir
  • (1) StrikerEZFifth Scholar
  • (1) Young BardBurnt Spaghetti
  • (0) Amanuensis
Edited by Amanuensis

Aidenn sighed. No one was talking! How was he supposed to study the Ring's effects on the psyche when no one was talking! "I do wish there was more discussion," he said sadly," but without any other clues, I am voting for Phellom(Young Bard). If more people would discuss, perhaps that would change."

11 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Hello all! I...do not have the time I would like for this, particularly as it’s no longer the weekend, so please do not expect too much RP from me, or really anything much at all (though I will try to sneak in what I can, if I have time (right now that isn’t the case)). 

I...am a little disappointed to not find more here, so Striker—you’ve been around. Any thoughts to share with the rest of us? D1 discussion is somewhat killed by the fact that we’ve already had one, but we’re not going to engender more discussion by sitting here mutely, and I would like something to talk about and vote off if I’m going to be minimally engaged anyway. :P 

I had a very crappy day yesterday, and was only able to just glance at this throughout the day. I was not mentally well enough to actually do any analysis or vote or anything. 

But I’m feeling a lot better today. In lieu of that, I will be voting on Striker

Edited by StrikerEZ