Unpopular Brandon Sanderson Opinions

On 05/01/2021 at 8:55 AM, Ooklara said:

I mean... have you read other modern fantasy? Brandon is quite tame in comparison! :lol:

Though to address your point, my main concern is that he will not do the topics justice (i.e. the religion/atheist deal.)

I wouldn’t worry too much he’s got an interesting worldview and certainly doesn’t come across as a stereotypical Mormon. I’m sure he’ll fairly represent atheism and religon.

8 minutes ago, Saldean warlord said:

I wouldn’t worry too much he’s got an interesting worldview and certainly doesn’t come across as a stereotypical Mormon. I’m sure he’ll fairly represent atheism and religon.

It depends. 

As he currently stands? I am more confident in his representations. Aside from having good business reasons for it, he currently has good writer friends that can help him avoid common pitfalls. 

It's honestly once he gets older and if those relationships get strained that I am more concerned about. 

On 3/23/2019 at 5:42 PM, Ghanderflaffle said:

I don't believe in the Shallan+Kaladin ship. (But some people don't, so I'm not lonely.)

This is from a long time ago but- me too! I like them both separately, but there just seems something a bit forced about them together. That’s just me though...

I don’t like Kelsier very much. Mainly this comes from my reread of Mistborn but anyway. 

Mistborn era 2 is better than era 1. Interestingly enough I didn’t think this until my reread. (You can tell what I’ve been reading lately)

By the end of Mistborn era 1 I didn’t like Elend very much. I guess we’ll see if that changes during my reread. 

These may not actually be unpopular and are just my opinions. Maybe I’ll find some others later but I’ve been in a Mistborn mood lately. 

Just now, Ooklara said:

I mean, Elend is always trying to assert that he's important. 

He's not. He just so happened to be going out with the important character. I mean, he's given more power than Vin and just sucks soooo much-*we are experiencing technical difficulties*

This is exactly how I feel about him. It just seems like the second he becomes powerful he becomes the most important character and anyway...

Why haven't I seen this topic earlier?

In order of controversy:

I don't like Kaladin, I don't think there's a single scene in his PoV I enjoyed. He's the least interesting and  and emotionally engaging PoV. I… he just doesn't work for me, I don't care about him and I'm sick of seeing the hype about him everywhere (hence: my profile). And no, I'm not a happy-rainbow-never-had-depression person. Also I think his character arc is (in terms of narrative quality) worse than other characters in SA (not that I am at the position to judge, but anyway).

I liked Shallan the most in tWoK and now after RoW, but in WoR she was boring, except flashbacks. I really liked her flashbacks. Her personas are boring too, because they aren't as interested in Cosmere lore as Shallan.

I don't have any strong emotions, or almost any emotions at all towards Moash, except secondary ones, ie emotions I have about emotions that other people will feel if his story goes this or that way. Which are strong, because people invest themselves emotionally in him, on both sides.

Harmony isn't that good. Sure, he's trying I guess, but the thing he did to Paaln (and to Wax, but mostly to her TBH) crossed the line.

Lift is actually funny. Spensa is great. Generally, teenage girls aren't all cringe.

I don't care much about Renarin's ships. I wish he had more PoVs, but romance is near the end of the list of "things I want to see Renarin doing". (Cool magic is probably on top, dealing with his insecurities in social life is second).

[RoW-related opinions redacted]

Rithmatist is actually really good. 

Steelheart isn't bad, it's just very unlike Cosmere. Same for Legion. 

Elantris is by far weakest of Brandon's books. It's still ok, but not very good and the only reason I'd reread it is to find more Cosmere lore in it.

Starsight wasn't that good. Skyward wasn't bad, but in my opinion Starsight failed to deliver. The 1 year timeskip cut a lot of the tension, for me, and then most of the plot on the alien planet just felt contrived instead of compelling. I'm not even very excited for the third one, at this point.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/02/2021 at 0:43 AM, Gyirin said:

I like Lirin. 

I don't like Jasnah. Too nigh-perfect. Was hoping she would have a major defeat in Rhythm of War for once but it didn't happen. 

I think Lirin is great too. 

and I too absolutely despise Jasnah. I get what Brandon’s going for with her but she’s so insufferable at times, she needs to brought down a few rungs and then she’ll have to go to a greater effort to prove herself to the high princes and that could be interesting. But instead we get this weird feminist power fantasy of a character, I want to love Jasnah rest of fan base but I’ll think we’ll have to wait till she gets her own focus novel. (I think that’s book ten, can’t be sure though.) So Brandon can flesh her out and make her more three dimensional.

On 1/25/2021 at 1:19 PM, Rushu42 said:

Starsight wasn't that good. Skyward wasn't bad, but in my opinion Starsight failed to deliver. The 1 year timeskip cut a lot of the tension, for me, and then most of the plot on the alien planet just felt contrived instead of compelling. I'm not even very excited for the third one, at this point.

I agree, Starsight had hardly any action and way too much politics. 

I can't believe the next Brandon book is Skyward three, that pushes off all the Cosmere books till forever(or like, three years or something).

Actually, when does the next Cosmere coming, and what book?

Just found this thread,

Unpopular opinion 1: OB and RoW are 5/10 books and if any1 other author than sanderson wrote over 1000 pages of a book that could fit in 300 pages then people would go mental, instead people think the filler (which is what 700 pages is) is "great"

Unpopular opinion 2: No Kholin deserved a radiant bond so far

Unpopular opinion 3: Elantris is a bad book, 

Unpopilar opinion 4: too much info comes from WoB rather then from the books themselves

Unpopular opinion 5: stormlight archive and indeed the entire cosmere works combined, don't and won't come close to the MBoTF series.

Unpopular opinion 6: Hoid/Wit is a) not funny b)) kind of annoying

Unpopular opinion 7: mistborn era 2 wasn't that good.

9 minutes ago, Quick Ben said:

Just found this thread,

Unpopular opinion 1: OB and RoW are 5/10 books and if any1 other author than sanderson wrote over 1000 pages of a book that could fit in 300 pages then people would go mental, instead people think the filler (which is what 700 pages is) is "great"

Unpopular opinion 2: No Kholin deserved a radiant bond so far

Unpopular opinion 3: Elantris is a bad book, 

Unpopilar opinion 4: too much info comes from WoB rather then from the books themselves

Unpopular opinion 5: stormlight archive and indeed the entire cosmere works combined, don't and won't come close to the MBoTF series.

Unpopular opinion 6: Hoid/Wit is a) not funny b)) kind of annoying

Unpopular opinion 7: mistborn era 2 wasn't that good.

Wow!  Why are you even on this site when you don't appear to actually be a Brandon Sanderson fan at all? :o

Just now, Quick Ben said:

Why ? Because i posted "unpopular opinions" in and unpopular opinion thread ?

You don't like Elantris, or Stormlight, or Wax & Wayne, or Brandon's interactions with his fans, or the most popular character in the Cosmere, and think the Cosmere overall doesn't measure up to some obscure series a lot of us have never heard of... taken together, the larger picture painted by those details is "this person does not like Brandon's work."

7 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

You don't like Elantris, or Stormlight, or Wax & Wayne, or Brandon's interactions with his fans, or the most popular character in the Cosmere, and think the Cosmere overall doesn't measure up to some obscure series a lot of us have never heard of... taken together, the larger picture painted by those details is "this person does not like Brandon's work."

Ok il address your points numerically instead of in a bunch:

1. No i didn't like Elantris, didnt know that wasnt allowed...

2. Never said i didnt like stormlight archive

3. Again same as point 1 with Wax and Wayne

4. Didn't say i didnt like BS interaction with fans, i said too much info comes from WoB rather then from the books themselves which isnt remotely the same.

5. I don't like a popular character ? So what ? Are you being serious ?

6. Malazan book of the fallen is far from obscure and you insult a series uv never read in an arguement as to why it appears to you that i don't like BS books ? Seriously ?

Maybe you shouldnt read unpopular opinions on BS if your gonna be so anal about those opinions.

5 minutes ago, Quick Ben said:

Ok il address your points numerically instead of in a bunch:

1. No i didn't like Elantris, didnt know that wasnt allowed...

2. Never said i didnt like stormlight archive

3. Again same as point 1 with Wax and Wayne

4. Didn't say i didnt like BS interaction with fans, i said too much info comes from WoB rather then from the books themselves which isnt remotely the same.

5. I don't like a popular character ? So what ? Are you being serious ?

6. Malazan book of the fallen is far from obscure and you insult a series uv never read in an arguement as to why it appears to you that i don't like BS books ? Seriously ?

Maybe you shouldnt read unpopular opinions on BS if your gonna be so anal about those opinions.

@Mason Wheeler had a valid point, you are the one being toxic about it.

None of those are "not allowed" but you've taken out half of Brandon's Cosmere works, and that's the main reason people are here, so they wanted to know if there was a book you did like.

Edited by Frustration

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

@Mason Wheeler had a valid point, you are the one being toxic about it.

None of those are "not allowed" but you've taken out half of Brandon's Cosmere works, and that's the main reason people are here, so they wanted to know if there was a book you did like.

Ok firstly, calling someone toxic for posting unpopular opinions in an unpopular opinion thread is just overly dramatic, an pretty offensive. The whole point of an unpoplar opinion thread is for people to express those opinions there not to be insulted for same. And if "your" offended someone doesn't like a book "you" did, or doesnt think the book is as great as "you" do then i think its you who has an issue. 

Elantris, imo is a bad book. (Id read the sequel just because hes writing is alot better now)

Mistborn era 2 isnt that good, mistborn era 1 is alot better imo

WoR/woR both 10/10 / 9/10 books, OB/RoW get a 5/10 beacuse the story has become glacial since the end of WoR again imo. If OB/RoW had less filler then would be higher then 5/10, 

Warbreaker is 8/10 - Wish he would write the sequel,