Who's Going to Kick the Bucket?

Moogle

I haven't seen a general death predictions thread! Let's go for it.

I predict the following people probably dying in Words of Radiance:

• Dalinar
  • Jasnah
  • Sadeas
  • Amaram

The major theme of Words of Radiance will be uncovering secrets and lies/truths, much like TWoK dealt with themes of leadership. It's the Lightweavers' attribute, after all. Kaladin will struggle with telling the truth about to Dalinar, Shallan has already been struggling with that, and now she has an external secret to find (Urithiru). Amaram's half-truth to Dalinar about where he got his Shards... expect to see characters lying or twisting the truth throughout the novel.

What does this have to do with people dying? Well, the book can't be about Shallan finding Urithiru if Jasnah is around. Jasnah will suffer the same fate as Obi-Wan, I think. She'll die... but move her consciousness to Shadesmar and pull a Kelsier.

(On a side note, if Jasnah dies and Dalinar does not, I will find Brandon and I will say some very loud words at him. Assuming I can find some way out of the fetal position and stop crying. It will be too unfair.)

Dalinar's going to die for an obvious reason: he's managed to anger some very dangerous people, and there's always Szeth if Sadeas can't finish off Dalinar. There's also the disaster that Navani speaks of coming for Dalinar. In a parallel between Kaladin and Shallan, I predict both stepping up to take up the fallen mantle of their respective mentors. Kaladin will lead the Knights Radiant (and found them?), taking it over from a dead Dalinar, and Shallan will find Urithiru, taking over from a dead Jasnah.

Evidence for the last paragraph there is supported by the summary of WoR here.

Shallan will come along, hoping to find the legendary, perhaps mythical, city of Urithiru, which Jasnah believes holds a secret vital to mankind’s survival on Roshar. The Parshendi take a dangerous step to strengthen themselves for the human challenge, risking the return of the fearsome Voidbringers of old. To deal with it all, Kaladin must learn to how to fulfill his new role as leader of the restored Knights Radiant, while mastering the powers of a Windrunner.

It mentions Kaladin leading the newly reformed Knights Radiant and Shallan having to find Urithiru.

I find Sadeas boring, so I am probably just being hopeful when I predict he dies. Still, he's involved in some very dangerous politics at the moment with his desire to kill Dalinar. If Dalinar finds out, I could see him ordering Sadeas' execution.

And of course, Amaram's betrayal of Kaladin has provoked such moral outrage amongst a lot of people that I can't see Amaram not seeing justice in some way or another. Justice tends to mean execution.

Anyone else want to add some names to the list?

Edited by Moogle

It's a bit hard to see who will die throughout the whole book. Perhaps if we just limit it to WoR?

I don't think Jasnah is going to die in WoR- she is an Elsecaller, with access to the Transportation Surge. I'm sure the boat will sink (or some such) with Jasnah presumed dead (hence Shallan is the one looking for Urithiru), but it's not too hard to see Jasnah surviving by porting out of whatever trouble has befallen the ship.

Dalinar is likely the Bondsmith mentioned on the back cover of WoR, and Brandon did say he would have a book. His survival for at least 4/5th of WoR means he puts Kaladin in charge of the reformed Knights Radiant - which will make sense Dalinar once it's confirmed that Kaladin is bonded to an honourspren, is a natural leader as is, and has some practice with the surges. So using Kaladin's leadership of the KR as evidence for Dalinar's death doesn't work.

I'm going Sigzil, Dalinar's general, and Danlan for WoR - no real reason except possible plot mechanics.

Edited by vikorr

It would be a shame if Sanderson killed off Jasnah. I see so much potential for her character. Maybe she won't die, but instead will travel somewhere she can't return from easily. Elsecaller have the surge of transportation after all. What if she becomes a worldhopper. Jasnah on Scadrial or Sel would be interesting.

I'm not sure Dalinar will die, but if he does something needs to happen between him and Kaladin first. Something significant needs to happen that inspires Kaladin to wear Dalinar's cloak. Sanderson hung a lantern on that cloak in TWoKs and in Kaladin's opening chapter in WoR. That cloak is an important symbol. Kaladin also will need to form a connection with one of Dalinar's sons. Currently the only lighteyes in power Kaladin trusts is Dalinar. He will need Kholin support if he is going to continue Dalinar's mission. If Dalinar dies, Kaladin is going to need to trust another Kholin.

I also hope Sadeas dies. I'm hoping Hoid kills him with an awakened sword after Sadeas tries attacking him with Oathbringer. Unless something amazing comes from Sadeas in WoR I think his character has run his course.

I don't think Amaram will die in WoR. Amaram is involved in something that will cross several books. He could die, but who would take his place as the connection to whatever he and Gavilar were involved in? Dalinar could fill that position, but if he dies as well then there is no one else. So if Dalinar dies I think Amaram is safe, at least for a few books. Also killing Amaram in the book Kaladin must confront him again in is so cliche.

Some additions to your list.

Elhokar. -- Unless some serious changes happen to him, he won't live much longer than Dalinar. Also I don't think it is possible to unite Alethkar as is. Alethkar will fall with the death of Elhokar.

Several members of Bridge four ( And it will be important ones. Rock, Lopen, Skar.) -- Though I don't know who. I think the only ones who are safe are: Teft, Moash, and Sigzal. Unless we hear the rest of Teft's story in WoR, he will last a few books. Unless Moash gets a chance at revenge in WoR he will last a while. Besides there is a good chance a spren will take interest in Moash. As for Sigzal, I doubt Hoid's apprentice will die before book five. He may even become a worldhopper as well.

Adolin or Renarin -- several Kholins will die, but one of Dalinar's sons will hang around.

Tozbek and his wife -- I don't think they will survive chapter 7. The captain will go down with the ship. I hope Yelb survives though.

I really have to agree with a lot of what eveorjoy said.

I do not think Amaram is going to die in this book. Or perhaps a few more books. In fact, I'm not sure if he is going to die at all. I know that there are so many Amaram haters right now, but honestly, how many hated characters die off as soon as everyone wants him or her dead? I definitely think that Amaram has a very important role (be it good or bad) in the books to come.

I do not want Dalinar to die; he is one character with whom I have created an emotional attachment. However, just because I don't want him dead, that doesn't mean it will not happen in this book. He is a tough one to call. I can easily see him dying off in this book, just as easily as I can see him living throughout most or all the series. I can see his death as a means to get very important plot lines started (especially with the respect and love he commands from Adolin and Renarin, and the fact that he is the only lighteyes Kaladin trusts).

Elhokar is another strange case. He is extremely weak in my opinion, and isn't really playing an important role as I see him currently. I was wondering why Taravangian didn't want to kill off Elhokar, but I almost immediately realized that Elhokar is really no threat to his machinations. So, even though he is in an extremely powerful position, he is actually a positive influence to Taravangian's schemes (If Elhokar dies, who takes the throne? I'm thinking it would be Dalinar, and that doesn't help out Taravangian or any of the high princes. Dalinar needs to die before killing off Elhokar becomes useful at all.). I don't really see him dying off in this book.

So who is going to die?

Bridge Four members. More specifically, I think at least Teft and Rock. In fact, mostly just Teft, but Rock is a possibility too. Teft will be useful for Kaladin by giving him information, and then will be killed shortly thereafter. Rock will probably die while trying to defend Kaladin. I'm thinking Sigzil will become a very important person later on, so I don't believe he will die, at least not for a while.

Sadeas is another possibility in my mind, for the very reason that eveorjoy mentioned. I think he played his part in tWoK. He will probably have one or two more things up his sleeve, and then will die. Well, we've already heard about one of those things up his sleeve (spies and assassins, right?), so we'll see whatever that is come to fruition first, then he will die.

One of my favorite characters is Szeth. I'm not entirely sure why, but I really like him. However, I think it is a likely scenario that he will die too. Either him or Kaladin, but I can't see Kaladin dying for a long while. So unfortunately, that leave Szeth (I know that it isn't required that either of them die, I just have the feeling that one of them will). I can't wait for the showdown between him and Kaladin though! It's going to be awesome!

These are my ideas currently. I will continue to post as more ideas come to mind. :)

It would be a shame if Sanderson killed off Jasnah. I see so much potential for her character. Maybe she won't die, but instead will travel somewhere she can't return from easily. Elsecaller have the surge of transportation after all. What if she becomes a worldhopper. Jasnah on Scadrial or Sel would be interesting.

I have high hopes for this. Even if she dies, and we see the body, there's always the possibility that she Soulcast a copy of her corpse from thin air or something.

I still think she's going to kick the bucket, though. She's had assassins after her for a while. Assassins tend to kill the people they are after.

And it's horrible and I hate it and I don't want her to die. I suspect her death is the part Wetlander said she "would not accept", because thinking about it that's pretty much my reaction as well.

I have high hopes for this. Even if she dies, and we see the body, there's always the possibility that she Soulcast a copy of her corpse from thin air or something.

I still think she's going to kick the bucket, though. She's had assassins after her for a while. Assassins tend to kill the people they are after.

And it's horrible and I hate it and I don't want her to die. I suspect her death is the part Wetlander said she "would not accept", because thinking about it that's pretty much my reaction as well.

People hunted by Assassins still die of natural causes and old age.

Assassins don't normally have targets that can turn them into fire and smoke.

Could she die? Quite possibly, but maybe not. I'm crossing my fingers. ;)

I agree with Todesengel and Everjoy on much of what they have said.

There are 4 books to go in this arc, and there is much from Jasnah's arc we do no yet know unless we find it all out in WOR I think she will be around for a while yet.  I also see her as having  a lot of conflict ahead of her, she is so sure of her self and what she believes, and much of it will be shattered or challenged. She is also a great source of knowledgeable mis-information. 

But I agree that there will be a reason she and Shallan are separated and Shallan needs to go on by herself.

Sadeas could go at anytime, he has served his purpose. His wife on the other hand may cause more trouble.

I agree also that Amaran is going to be around for a while,  he may not make it through WoR but the conflict between him and Kaladin I do not think is going to be solved in a single battle.  He is technically Under Saldeas so if he dies Amaram could be the next highlord of that territory. 

I think Ehlokar it could go either way, if he dies die then Dalinar can be a regent for the young king, but essentially he already has this type of role.   I tend to think that we have only started to see Ehlokar's story arc and as a king he has a long way to go. Currently he really is not a threat, but a reason why the Alethi are not as strong as they should be. 

I agree that we will see more of the Bridge 4 members die.  I  think there are reasons storywise for Rock, Teft, Sigzil and Lopen to stick around. 

Rock needs to become a fighter, and maybe get a set of plate and blade for the Unkalaki.

Lopen needs to learn how to glow. and Teft needs a mission to find the Envisioners, and overcome his guilt.

Sigzil I think too has more to do, and will be essential in the re-building of the KR.  There is a reason Hoid trained him, (and a reason maybe that Hoid did not rescue him)

Moash is the one Kaladin refers to as more like a friend someone that doesnt look up to him or treat him differently so I think he will be the one to die.

I too think Yalb is safe - he will follow Shallan to the Shattered Plains.

When the "Storm/Parshendi"  hits I think the Kholin army and camp will be more prepared, unlike the other war camps.

Jasnah in Chapter 7 (my guess).

Dalinar in the 4th part of the book

Elhokar

Renarim Or Adolin 

In true the Kholins will be the new Starks. Need kill someone that the audience like to make the book take a turn? Here use this Kholin  =) 

Three or four NAMED bridge 4 member.

In my oppinion list

Teft "Kenobi"

Skar "Red Leather"

Shen "Turncloak"

Bridge 4 men that most likely will survive

Rock

Moash

Edited by Natans

Nobody has brought up a spren death yet. Sanderson likes to give a good surprise. It one of the few deaths that nobody seems to expect.Killing a spren would be a big shock for a lot of people.  Especially if the spren were Syl....

I would be miserable if Syl died

Nobody has brought up a spren death yet. Sanderson likes to give a good surprise. It one of the few deaths that nobody seems to expect.Killing a spren would be a big shock for a lot of people.  Especially if the spren were Syl....

I would be miserable if Syl died

It would be an affective death. However, I wouldn't her death mean the end of Kaladin's powers? If she were to die, it would be in a later book.

I think Jasnah might pull a Gandalf and come back a few parts later with a power up or some new knowledge. I would be very surprised if Brandon went the way of GRRM and started killing off people to keep the book moving, so I would think that the Kholins are safe, apart from Dalinar, unless a bunch of them die in a desolation, since at least two of them definitely have the potential to be KR.

I will stick with Adolin and Moash. Adolin is a clone of his father and the story doesn't necessarily need him; Sadaes will likely kill him "accidentally" in a duel. It would also provide an opportunity for the hapless and weak Renarin to surprise everyone (except Wit) and show what a truly capable heir he can be.

Moash will die because he is Kaladin's only real friend out of the group and Kaladin tends to lose those to whom he is closest. Of course, I think an alternative to that theory is betrayal of some sort. Although, it would be great if they both made it to the end; doubtful but I'd welcome it.

Szeth I believe will live simply for the fact that I have a feeling he will be the one to help Kaladin train in his windrunner abilities after their initial confrontation.

I don't believe Dalinar or Jasnah will die yet.

Amaran will live Sadaes will die.

I think that eventually Dalinar could die, but I find it doubtful that he will die in WoR. Kaladin is the only option available to lead the newly formed KR since he is the only male who is even close to attaining that level of ability with surgebinding. Once he suits up and learns to fly, the kid gloves are off and he basically becomes an unstoppable Juggernaut of destruction who can simply leap away should his armor take too much damage.

Jasnah could die. The wise mentor generally dies early on and while I see her as having a potentially larger role in the days to come, her loss could be dealt with. The Shallan/Adolin pairing being worked out already gives Shallan breathing room to come into her own regardless of how that relationship works out in the end. She has given Shallan direction and a goal. If Jasnahs primary purpose in the books was to get Shallan heading in the right direction, then mission accomplished, game over.

Sadeas...Yes, I can see Sedeas getting killed by the end of this book. Sadeas is a impediment to the future. He is a road block that must be overcome. I can't see Sadeas getting killed until after he has been destroyed politically, but I can definitely see it happening.

Amaram on the other hand, I don't see as getting killed. The only person who wants Amaram dead, other than quite a few of you, is Kaladin. Kaladin won't kill him unless provoked, and Amaram won't provoke him. I potentially see Amaram taking Sadeas position as High Prince, but this would require that Sadeas is caught plotting Elhokars death. Personally, as uncomfortable and embarrassing as Kaladins survival and success will be for Amaram, I think that he will also be secretly relieved. I think that his actions that day have probably haunted him.

Skar. Skar is a name, he is barely really talked to. He is mentioned often, and we know who he is, but we don't really know him. I think he'll die in this book trying to defend Dalinar.

I'm not seeing any high profile deaths this book...  Certainly none of the five PoV characters(Which means not Szeth or Dalinar)  I could see Elhokar dying, but I doubt it.  Sadeas is a possibility, but it would be disappointing.  Taravangian is the strongest possibility, but I doubt it.  I mean, there wasn't much for high profile deaths in book one either.  It's too early in the series to be killing resources...

I would vote for Sadeas, for two reasons.

He has already served his plot purpose in forcing Kaladin to come to grips with his radiant powers, and in bringing together Kaladin and Dalinar through his treachery.  While other plot purposes can exist I'm having a hard time finding clues as to what they might be.

His subordinate Amaram has a working relation already with the Kholin family (from Gavilar speaking to him on the night of the assasination), and so Brandon has an understudy to Sadeas' position already in the wings.

I agree with Aminar in that I don't really see a bloodbath coming. There's a chance that there'll be one really high-profile death (e.g. Sadeas wouldn't even count), but more would seem odd. Most characters seem like they have a lot left to do, and not many hold back another character in a way that they would be an effective obi-wan.

Dalinar is the exception. His death would move a lot of things forward, and opens the door for Adolin growing up, Kaladin being pushed in a very different position, Renarin to become more relevant somehow, and politics among the Alethi to go nuts. So he's got a pretty big target on his back. But I am not sure it will come now, or in book 3.