Who's Going to Kick the Bucket?

Moogle

I could see Elhokar’s death as a potentially good plot point, that could also get things moving.  We were recently informed that Elhokar has a son, which was an important plot point that Brandon very subtly placed in there.  Elhokar’s assassination would (if the inheritance model follows the familiar model) result in his son becoming king, with a regent most likely acting for him until he reaches Elhokar’s son reaches his majority. 

So the next logical question would be: Who would be regent, in that scenario?  I wouldn’t easily accept FollowYourMuse’s assertion that the regency would automatically go to Dalinar; that’s too simple and easy.

Other possible regency scenarios:

-Would it fall to the Queen, who we’ve heard very little about (and who Jasnah clearly does not trust)?  Where do her loyalties lie?  If she’s the daughter of another Highprince, she could essentially have the Kholin’s position of power and authority be replaced by a different Highprince’s.

-Has Elhokar placed documentation in place for the regency to fall to his Uncle? Or maybe even someone else, like Sadeas? 

-Is there a different regent selection process that Brandon would introduce; like having the Highprinces collectively appoint a regent?

Given the current political situation (Dalinar acting as Prince of War and attempting to bring all of the Alethi Princedoms to work together) Elhokar’s assassination could be a pretty interesting plot development to occur in WoR.

Maybe there could even be a nice fake out; where Szeth is defeated before he has the chance to kill Dalinar, only to have someone kill Ehokar in the turmoil.  

Anyway, I think Elhokar's death could cause all type of interesting thins to happen, plot-wise.

Amaram is a goner. A few redshirts will probably die as well, just to move the plot along. I think someone important, like Adolin or Renarin, will be shard crippled, possibly killed but unlikely. And I hope we get to find out who moash and sigzil want to kill.

I really hate auto correct.

Edited by Chlehrma

I could see Elhokar’s death as a potentially good plot point, that could also get things moving.  We were recently informed that Elhokar has a son, which was an important plot point that Brandon very subtly placed in there.  Elhokar’s assassination would (if the inheritance model follows the familiar model) result in his son becoming king, with a regent most likely acting for him until he reaches Elhokar’s son reaches his majority. 

So the next logical question would be: Who would be regent, in that scenario?  I wouldn’t easily accept FollowYourMuse’s assertion that the regency would automatically go to Dalinar; that’s too simple and easy.

Other possible regency scenarios:

-Would it fall to the Queen, who we’ve heard very little about (and who Jasnah clearly does not trust)?  Where do her loyalties lie?  If she’s the daughter of another Highprince, she could essentially have the Kholin’s position of power and authority be replaced by a different Highprince’s.

-Has Elhokar placed documentation in place for the regency to fall to his Uncle? Or maybe even someone else, like Sadeas? 

-Is there a different regent selection process that Brandon would introduce; like having the Highprinces collectively appoint a regent?

Given the current political situation (Dalinar acting as Prince of War and attempting to bring all of the Alethi Princedoms to work together) Elhokar’s assassination could be a pretty interesting plot development to occur in WoR.

Maybe there could even be a nice fake out; where Szeth is defeated before he has the chance to kill Dalinar, only to have someone kill Ehokar in the turmoil.  

Anyway, I think Elhokar's death could cause all type of interesting thins to happen, plot-wise.

I agree that it may not be Dalinar as a regent - except that Dalinar is second in line after Ehlokars son. So I am not sure if the Queen would have any power to transfer power away from the Kholin family.

Jasnah still has Liss in place I am assuming.  

I don't see anyone really important to the plot kicking the bucket. However, I think that Jasnah and Teft are safe, mainly because Brandon loves twisting literary tropes and killing them off would stink too much of the Obi-Wan. 

Although, now that I think of it, he did kill off Kelsier. Have my fingers crossed that Jasnah and Teft don't follow the same fate.

Going back to the central topic, I calculate that someone close to Kaladin will die, presumably a member of Bridge Four. Moash is a stinking good contender for this reason alone, and the fact that he's close to Kaladin. However, I suspect it will be someone who no one would guess...

Who here would be upset if Kaladin's parents died?

I don't see anyone really important to the plot kicking the bucket. However, I think that Jasnah and Teft are safe, mainly because Brandon loves twisting literary tropes and killing them off would stink too much of the Obi-Wan. 

This is dangerous thinking, because he likes using tropes and can't twist every one. Shallan is at the point where Jasnah is no longer necessary for her to advance the plot; killing her off would make perfect sense and allow Shallan to grow because her mentor is gone now. I've heard arguments about Jasnah not reaching the peak of her character advancement and I'm not seeing it.

Jasnah can always live on in Shadesmar as an interesting way to continue the Obi-wan trope.

Who here would be upset if Kaladin's parents died?

Please no. :(

I'd be cool with Shallan and Teft and every member of Bridge Four to keep Jasnah/Kaladin's parent surviving.

Edited by Moogle

Generally I stay away from topics like these because they depress me. But I was rereading the preview chapters and Kaladin his it over the head that Moash is his only friend many many times in those 3-4 chapters alone. I think he's our poutine candidate foot bucket kicker unfortunately. Maybe hrs just getting bit up tho. :-)

I really dont see Elhokar, Adolin, Renarin, or Dalinar dying this book because of Kaladin's new position in the Colbalt Guard.  If one of the Kholins die, the blame will be placed on the ineffective new guards that do not have much training.  I think most everyone will be safe for WoR... except I like the idea of Sadeas dying and Amaram becoming the new Highprince since Sadeas does not have an heir.

I didn't read all posts, so I may be repeating things already said, but here are my thoughts on the topic:

• Adolin - I can easily see him killed by Szeth, thus the wound in Dalinar's soul that would allow him to bond with a spren and become a surgebinder. Plus it will be Renarin's time to shine.
  • Jasnah - she won't die, but be assumed dead when she would be somehow stuck in Shadesmar without stormlight to get out. I'm getting some Moiraine vibes.
  • At least two members of Bridge Four - Teft will confess his story on his deathbed (metaphorically speaking). And may be Scar.
  • Amaram - preciously because he's working against Ghostblood and nothing to do with Kaladin.  
  • Elhokar - so Alethkar falls apart, mainly just a plot tool.
  • Shallan - because plot twist, she dies in her book!
Edited by Aleksiel

• Chaos locked this topic