New Jasnah Excerpt

KiManiak

Tor.com has a new excerpt from Brandon about Jasnah.  Details the events that happened to her post-stabbing in WoR Chapter 7.

Check it outhttp://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/08/stormlight-archive-scene-after-words-of-radiance#comments 

ETA: I should probably add that it discusses Jasnah being stabbed, her experience in Shadesmar, Ivory, representation of spren on the other side, etc.  Check it out if you're interested!

(Obviously, post-WoR spoilers, so beware!)

ETA II: And I see that my couple days absence from 17th Shard led to me missing this posting of the excerpt from Sabrina Stormshard on 8/4.  Sabrina Stormshard (and Weiry Writer's transcription) did an excellent job of introducing this info.

The Tor.com exceprt doeshave  little more of the excerpt (Jasnah soulcasts something!) and some minor administrative info if you want it, so I strongly recommend you check it out.  

Edited by KiManiak

The reading here is far longer than the one we had previously, and it is wonderful.

Oh Jasnah. I love you.

Speculation: "Honor’s Perpendicularity" is Honor's Shardpool. More evidence for the Shardpool-worldhopping theory.

I also like that painspren are called Grinders.  And that they may not be so benign in Shadesmar.  I wonder if you have to be fully in Shadesmar for them to be a threat, though (which may be why Shallan didn't notice them and wasn't affected by them).

I like Moogle's speculation about "Honor's Perpendicularity."  I also find the "perpendicularity" portion of that name rather interesting; Honor is intersecting Shadesmar at that particular point?

“On your side, harmless. Here, harmmore. Very harmmore. Come.” He yanked on her arm.

Oh, Ivory. Spren are rapidly and irrevocably becoming my favorite fictional creatures.

I do love Soulcasting of the ropes. A nod, perhaps, to Stick's popularity, but without repeating the exact same thing (which would've been annoying). 
Edited by Argent

That brings up an interesting question...  

One of the things that gets shown in WoR several times is Shallan's depictions of things coming true.  (In particular, I'm thinking of the bandits and of the meeting of the highprinces).  In both, it was because somehow, her lightweaving skills manifested to alter the perceptions of those around her.  Maybe, somehow, her depiction of the crew getting to the shore gave Jasnah the desire to soulcast their ropes.

That would be... powerful.

It's interesting how Jasnah manages to Soulcast so easily. Perhaps the key to perfect Soulcasting lies in force of will?

I always assumed it does, which would be why Shallan struggles so much with it. Despite all her wittiness and her resourceful nature, Shallan does not have Jasnah's commanding figure.

really nice. I've always wanted to see a jasnah pow, seeing what's inside her head. unfortunately that except didn't give much more information about her, but still better than nothing. and i'm glad there's a good chance some of the sailors survived.

I loved the "you will change" line, nice comparison to the famous "i am a stick".

I also think we can probably consider as canon the power of stormlight healing now. I wonder if holding enough stormlight would mean that in case of decapitation your head would regrow a new body.

Sorry Smurf, but harmful doesn't automatically mean Odious. I think we make that mistake a lot. Exhaustionspren are huge monsters, and Honorspren and Cryptics despise one another. I don't know if spren need to eat or if they're all territorial, but I'm guessing they either would like a human to induce their beloved aspect upon or just want them gone very quickly. A painspren wanting to cause pain to gorge itself on isn't Odious, and neither is wanting to keep an intruder away.

Just saying.

I wonder if holding enough stormlight would mean that in case of decapitation your head would regrow a new body.

Depends, does having a golden skull help you grow a new one?

Edited by Observer

Nice, that is definitely interesting that Painspren are harmful. It implies that they are of Odium to me.

Not necessarily. Bacteria and wild animals are dangerous, it's not necessary for everything harmful to also be evil. Exhaustionspren look a little like giant vultures, if I recall correctly.

And Soulcasting, I imagine force of will is a part of it, but Jasnah has also had much more experience with it than Shallan. She knows what she wants, she knows she must give up a certain amount of Light, she knows the process. I suspect the conversations she and Shallan are having with the objects they want to Soulcast are less of a negotiation and more a way for their minds to translate the cognitive interactions between their own mind and those of the surroundings.

So. Apparently, Ivory is Slenderman :)

If Slenderman has figured out Grindr, Tanavast help us all. . . 

On a sidenote, I much enjoyed this lengthened version, if the next book has more Jasnah, it'll be something to look forward to. 

@SmurfAquamarineBodies, upvoted KiManiak for you. 

My favourite part of this is seeing just how dynamic the cognitive realm could be. We've seen the cognitive realm in the past, but so little was actually done that it almost seemed like we were watching rather than experiencing it. Here we get to have a feel for what it's like: the dangers involved, the way the world works there (junctions), the destination Jasnah finds herself seeking. It's seeming to be less and less Tel'aran'rhiod and more Tron by the second. Definitely looking forward to hearing more from the cognitive realm, because it really is a whole new world *cue Disney*

I wonder if holding enough stormlight would mean that in case of decapitation your head would regrow a new body.

I think if you held enough Stormlight, you wouldn't be able to get your head chopped off at all - it'd just heal after the blade went through. Might be like trying to slice water.

I also think we can probably consider as canon the power of stormlight healing now. I wonder if holding enough stormlight would mean that in case of decapitation your head would regrow a new body.

-

Actually, your body would grow a new head.

-

That's how Cosmere healing works, the soul jumps to the biggest piece, or randomly if the halves are perfectly even.*WoB on this. Look on Theoryland for healing.

I know with other systems and WoB that surviving decapitation is possible, but it states in the excerpt as far as Jasnah's and Ivory's knowledge, damage to the head can't be healed by stormlight, or more accurately head trauma is too much to heal in enough time to prevent death:

"Ivory said that while a person held enough Stormlight, only a crushing blow to the head itself would kill. She’d believed him, but storms that hadn’t made it any easier to lay there before the knife. Who would have expected them to stab her? Shouldn’t they have assumed that a blow to the head would be enough to—"

I know with other systems and WoB that surviving decapitation is possible, but it states in the excerpt as far as Jasnah's and Ivory's knowledge, damage to the head can't be healed by stormlight, or more accurately head trauma is too much to heal in enough time to prevent death:

"Ivory said that while a person held enough Stormlight, only a crushing blow to the head itself would kill. She’d believed him, but storms that hadn’t made it any easier to lay there before the knife. Who would have expected them to stab her? Shouldn’t they have assumed that a blow to the head would be enough to—"

What it said was 'only a crushing blow'. 

I presume that means if the head was pulped by say, a hammer, you wouldn't be able to regenerate it.

The Ghostbloods likely don't know that Jasnah can Surgebind and therefore heal herself with Stormlight. I understand Jasnah's thoughts there as her being frustrated that the assassins didn't just let her be after what probably would've been a deadly blow for most people. In essence, she is saying "they hit me pretty hard, why couldn't they just assume I was dead or dying and let me quietly heal myself, why did they have to stick a knife in me too?"

Don't read too much into the "crushing blow" thing. I actually added the word "crushing." I'm sure Brandon will revise it in a later draft. I just didn't want it to simply say a blow to the head will kill you, when obviously some blows to the head will not be enough to kill you.

Also, Jasnah could be wrong.

Hmm, so that makes me wonder if Ivory either misled Jasnah or if Ivory is not as potentially knowledgeable as I might expect a transitional spren (I say transitional in an effort to link in my mind the way Wyndle is) to be. (All pure conjecture, and not taking things literally, just like to toss around ideas  :D )

The Ghostbloods likely don't know that Jasnah can Surgebind and therefore heal herself with Stormlight. I understand Jasnah's thoughts there as her being frustrated that the assassins didn't just let her be after what probably would've been a deadly blow for most people. In essence, she is saying "they hit me pretty hard, why couldn't they just assume I was dead or dying and let me quietly heal myself, why did they have to stick a knife in me too?"

Is it the Ghostbloods?

I assumed that Tyn was the liaison to the Ghostbloods and this was a gang that Tyn assembled that didn't include any Ghostbloods (unless the Ghostbloods were spying on Tyn).