New Jasnah Excerpt

KiManiak

The way I understand Gold Feruchemy is that it takes effect even if you don't have a working brain to tell it to work at the time.-TLR growing a new head (I couldn't find the annotation in Mistborn, it may exist, but I couldn't find it),-Miles getting a shotgun to the face,-and Miles eating three bullets to the head in quick succession. It'll work on it's own without needing a signal to direct it, maybe Stormlight does require that signal to direct the healing, and that is why a blow to the head will kill the Surgebinder before Stormlight Healing takes effect. 

Maybe it has to do with the substance itself? Gold compounded only does one thing, heal. Stormlight on the other hand, when you are holding it in your body can heal, fly (windrunners), teleport (elsecallers), heal others (truthwatchers and edgedancers) and so on. So you need your mind intact in order to tell the stormlight what to do? Total conjecture on my part though. 

Maybe it has to do with the substance itself? Gold compounded only does one thing, heal. Stormlight on the other hand, when you are holding it in your body can heal, fly (windrunners), teleport (elsecallers), heal others (truthwatchers and edgedancers) and so on. So you need your mind intact in order to tell the stormlight what to do? Total conjecture on my part though. 

That's what I'm thinking. Feruchemical gold only does one thing, and it appears to do it automatically. Stormlight can be used for a variety of things and appears to need to be directed (Kaladin needing to focus on healing his arm). Therefore, Stormlight healing requires a mostly intact brain in order to function, whereas Feruchemical gold works on its own without input. 

Apparently Miles became a savant too, which may have helped. For "normal" people, including Surgebinders, when they got knocked out they stop being able to burn metals or presumably use metalminds. But Miles had a direct connection open at all times to his metalminds that he was drawing on, and without it he felt sick (perhaps there was sort of a void in his spirit) so even if he falls unconscious he can keep on tapping, and that will restore him. This would directly contradict any theories on how destroying the brain removes your Cognitive identity, though...

Apparently Miles became a savant too, which may have helped. For "normal" people, including Surgebinders, when they got knocked out they stop being able to burn metals or presumably use metalminds. But Miles had a direct connection open at all times to his metalminds that he was drawing on, and without it he felt sick (perhaps there was sort of a void in his spirit) so even if he falls unconscious he can keep on tapping, and that will restore him. This would directly contradict any theories on how destroying the brain removes your Cognitive identity, though...

Not sure if your definition of "normal" people includes or excludes Vin. She burned pewter unconsciously. She wasn't a savant but I do admit she was sorta unique. 

Not sure if your definition of "normal" people includes or excludes Vin. She burned pewter unconsciously. She wasn't a savant but I do admit she was sorta unique. 

I'd still sort of call her a minor savant? The MAG says burning pewter unconsciously is not normal and you have to learn to do it. I believe it is implied at one point that Vin was constantly low-burning pewter whenever she could throughout her childhood. Even if she wasn't (which is possible - Elend does it too), the idea still fits into my general idea - there's a void that the body wants filled, so it'll unconsciously start burning pewter, and Miles has progressed to the point where he does the same with his goldminds.

Edited by Moogle

That would make sense given that Jasnah exits Shadesmar (which presumably requires stormlight) with burn scars on her face (which would have healed if the healing was automatic). On the other hand, Shallan put herself together from being splattered by her fall into the chasm and she was presumably unconscious for most of that, so it might be that stormlight healing is automatic but you can consciously stop it.

That would make sense given that Jasnah exits Shadesmar (which presumably requires stormlight) with burn scars on her face (which would have healed if the healing was automatic). On the other hand, Shallan put herself together from being splattered by her fall into the chasm and she was presumably unconscious for most of that, so it might be that stormlight healing is automatic but you can consciously stop it.

Or,  it could just be that jasnah didn't have stormlight in shadesmar. do gemstones get recharged in the cognitive realm? and even if they were, it was the weeping. maybe she had to save all her stormlight to elsecall.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to necro a thread like this, but I've been looking for an answer that I can't find in any of the threads discussing this excerpt. If Jasnah was in Shadesmar, why didn't Shallan see her? I mean, unless Jasnah got out of there really quick. And then the painspren that were supposed to be coming, why didn't Shallan see them? Do we have a WoB on this, or does someone have keener eyes than I do? Is this even cannon?

Thanks!

38 minutes ago, Shadowmancer said:

If Jasnah was in Shadesmar, why didn't Shallan see her? I mean, unless Jasnah got out of there really quick. And then the painspren that were supposed to be coming, why didn't Shallan see them?

My best guess is because Jasnah did not, from what I understand, use her Transformation surge to escape the boat but rather used her Transportation surge. Jasnah literally teleported herself into the Cognitive Realm using Transportation whereas Shallan was merely "peeking" in with Transformation. There are differences in how these surges interact with the Cognitive Realm and, perhaps, these differences explain why Shallan neither saw Jasnah nor the painspren.

• Chaos locked this topic