[OB] Who is the author of Oathbringer?

DiamondMind

Who is the author of Oathbringer?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the author of the in-world book Oathbringer?

• Dalinar
    • Jasnah
    • Navani
    • Renarin
    • The Sunmaker
    • Nohadon
    • A character we haven't met
    • Szeth
    • Taravangian
    • Evi
    • Shallan
    • Other

There have been a couple of theories floating around but I thought it would be good to lay down bets now that a few chapters have come out. From today's chapters I think it's the Sunmaker. I was already disinclined towards Jasnah and Renarin and I don't think these ideas have been brewing since Dalinar's childhood. What's your take?

Edited by DiamondMind

I‘m still on the some-Radiant-probably-post-Recreation team. Sunmaker certainly seems possible as well, given the name of his (and later Dalinar‘s) Blade, but that could just as well be coincidence or the Blade could have been named way before the Sunmaker ever laid hands on it. I don’t like the idea of a current-times character being the author, given that the first two in-world books were old, but who’s to say if Brandon feels the same way, he never said all of them would be centuries old tomes.

Edited by kraefzke

I'm not as confident as I once was, but I'm sticking with Navani.

Mentioning Shadesmar so soon seems like too obvious a hint for Jasnah, so it's probably a head fake.

Navani is described as writing her memoirs early in Chapter 4, and may not be on the godless heretic level of Jasnah, but she is SURELY getting there, at least in the views of others.  Plus with Navani's connection to all the Radiants popping up, her seeing into or visiting Shadesmar (even without being a Radiant herself) is well within the realm of possibility.

And to add to that, it sounds like the in-world Oathbringer is going to be about what Dalinar sees or his new ideals.  (In other words, something relating to his new KR this-is-how-we-save-the-world philosophy.)  Navani is not just in prime position to write such a book, but is a scholar herself. 

I'm guessing the Sunmaker.

I totally just jumped on the shard for the first time in like a month to post a theory about this, and tada, I'm not the only one thinking. :P

Reasons I think it's the Sunmaker:

1.  The pre-chapter excerpts have consistently been ancient texts that the characters get to learn from - WoK and WoR
  2. Who else would name their story Oathbringer? -- it's just a shardblade, Jasnah, Renarin, and other Radiants already have a live spren-blade, and Navani isn't likely to become bonded to the blade or consider it important enough to title her entire work after it.
  3. Wouldn't it be an epic reveal that the Sunmaker, basically the creator of the Alethi culture, didn't believe in Vorinism and was a total 'heretic'?
  4. Dalinar has some obvious reasons to search out the Sunmaker's writings... perhaps to find out why he didn't succeed in his conquest -- or why he chose not to succeed. Or maybe to find that the shardblade Oathbringer is connected to some multi-country oath pact. Or... or... the epic reveal potentials are endless (I won't say all the possibilities in mind or I'll be here for weeks)!

Could it be somebody else? Yeah, it could. I don't think it will be a Radiant, but possibly Navani. I'm interested to see where these next chapters go as the author tells a little more about what the terrible choice was -- the one we don't have to forgive them for. :D

Edited by The Survivor

I strongly lean towards the Sunmaker, because:

• Oathbringer was the name of his Blade, so why not use it for his book, too
  • He would have been seen as heretic for daring to challenge the Ardentia
  • Him writing a book would make vorin women uncomfortable (it was already established in his time writing was for women only) as implied
  • It's very fitting for the Bondsmith book
  • As mentioned above in-world WoK and WoR were ancient texts, so it's reasonable to believe the trend will continue

That's two in-world and two outline reasons I can give. I have a pet theory (nothing to support it) that Oathbringer will be the book Shallan discovers somewhere in Urithiru.

50 minutes ago, Aleksiel said:

• Him writing a book would make vorin women uncomfortable (it was already established in his time writing was for women only) as implied
  • As mentioned above in-world WoK and WoR were ancient texts, so it's reasonable to believe the trend will continue

That's two in-world and two outline reasons I can give. I have a pet theory (nothing to support it) that Oathbringer will be the book Shallan discovers somewhere in Urithiru.

Questions:

1. How did the book get to Urithiru? As far as wee know, Urithiru wouldn't have been accessible. If the book is found in Urithiru, it probably predates the Recreance. Of course, that also means women wouldn't be the only ones who read it as Vorin male illiteracy wasn't a thing until later.
  2. How did the Sunmaker access Shadesmar? Knight Radiants and, more specifically, Nahel bonds didn't exist during his lifetime.

Just now, Salkara said:

Questions:

1. How did the book get to Urithiru? As far as wee know, Urithiru wouldn't have been accessible. If the book is found in Urithiru, it probably predates the Recreance. Of course, that also means women wouldn't be the only ones who read it as Vorin male illiteracy wasn't a thing until later.
  2. How did the Sunmaker access Shadesmar? Knight Radiants and, more specifically, Nahel bonds didn't exist during his lifetime.

Well, I said I don't have anything in support. It was mentioned several times since WoR Jasnah and now Shallan hope to find some information in Urithiru, so it will be underwhelming if there's not a single book there. How did the book get there? May be one of the Stone Shamans, Szeth, Nale... or may be this time it's actually aliens :lol:

Dying people do seem to get a glimpse of Shadesmar as we've seem from the death rattles - yes, one of the Unmade is involved, may be some near-death experience can give a glimpse into CR for a moment. May be one of the Horneater springs that contains a shardpool was involved. May be he had a vision based on something he asked the Nightwatcher for. How does anyone see beyond Shadesmar and is that the Spiritual Realm is more interesting to me. The fact that the author knows the term Shadesmar is in itself very telling about his knowledge and we know the Sunmaker spend much time investigating the claims about prophecies and visions. 

On 9/21/2017 at 10:30 PM, Aleksiel said:

Well the one who wrote this is a woman. Considering the text says "women who will read this", the author didn't consider the possibility that men can read too, I don't think that it means they won't like it because a man has written it. 

And I don't think the book is/was in Urithiru, I think it's in the possession of Jasnah and was hidden in Shadesmar til now. The whole Vorin shenanigans (feminine and muscular arts) happened after the betrayal. We know of Knights Radiant who were women. And the only ones who could gain access were Truthless shins with honorblades that gave them flying ability or transportation. So UNLESS their masters specifically asked them to (and I can't really discard it because it's Brandon we are talking about) this book shouldn't exist in Urithiru.

I previously thought it was Dalinar's wife, shshshsh, but I no longer think so. So I'll go with someone we haven't met yet.

On the other hand, it'll be cool if Sunmaker actually used a Truthless to get his book to Urithiru. 

Edited by lastofus

27 minutes ago, lastofus said:

Well the one who wrote this is a woman. Considering the text says "women who will read this", the author didn't consider the possibility that men can read too, I don't think that it means they won't like it because a man has written it. 

And I don't think the book is/was in Urithiru, I think it's in the possession of Jasnah and was hidden in Shadesmar til now. The whole Vorin shenanigans (feminine and muscular arts) happened after the betrayal. We know of Knights Radiant who were women. And the only ones who could gain access were Truthless shins with honorblades that gave them flying ability or transportation. So UNLESS their masters specifically asked them to (and I can't really discard it because it's Brandon we are talking about) this book shouldn't exist in Urithiru.

I previously thought it was Dalinar's wife, shshshsh, but I no longer think so. So I'll go with someone we haven't met yet.

On the other hand, it'll be cool if Sunmaker actually used a Truthless to get his book to Urithiru. 

Or the author is a man, who assumes the only readers will be women who:

Most will simply feel that it should not exist

I know that many women who read this will see it only as further proof that I am the godless heretic everyone claims

Yes, the whole only-women-write is post Recreance, hence the Sunmaker fits the timeline since he is the one who challenged and demolished the ardentia during the Hierocracy, so I do not expect any KR to be the author since there were no KR anymore when writing became a female art and the implication here is that women will be the ones who read the journal.

I doubt Jasnah would write others claim she's a heretic, when she is indeed one openly. Epigraphs imply the author doesn't view themself as one. I can't really argue in favor of finding the book in Urithiru based on much, I expect Shallan to discover something otherwise we wouldn't have been reminded she's searching and in-world OB is one candidate.

15 hours ago, Calderis said:

@Aleksiel I agree on all counts. The passages people keep citing in order to claim that it is Jasnah/slash a woman are exactly the reason I think it's not either one. 

I tend to agree that those lines point to it not being Jasnah.

The only reason I can think that eliminates this conflict, is the question of when was it written.

Jasnah now, is the basis of it not fitting her because she is sure and specific in her statements of being a heretic, but was she always? 

I want to throw out Ishar or Taravangian too. Points in favor of Ishar:

*He could be seen as a Heretic depending on his madness/actions during the Desolations.

*He created the Radiant Orders, and thus brought the Oaths.

*He is a Herald, andd has probably hung between realms.

*He is the Bondsmith patron, and would fit for the Bondsmith book.

Points in favor of Taravangian (I don't really believe it, just want to throw it out).

*He can write.

*Upcoming events might cause him to see his own faults, and admire Dalinar, thus writing a book.

*He is a heretic.

*The author states the book shouldn't have been written. Men are not allowed to write books. 

*He is a popular Bondsmith candidate.

19 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

*The author states the book shouldn't have been written. Men are not allowed to write books. 

Am I the only one who thinks otherwise? "This book shouldn't have been written" means just that. For me, it doesn't point to the author. If the author was a male, if he wanted to, he could've asked for a woman scribe. There are so many reasons (at least for me) that being a man, writing a book, calling himself a heretic because of writing it, don't fit together. 

Plus you omitted a couple of sentences. The author don't just say it shouldn't exists.

Women reading it, not seeing it. If the author was a male, the fact that a man has written it was proof enough. They didn't need to read his blasphemies. So for me, the author is definitely a woman, from a certain era and culture and probably at the height of Church's power. They care much about being godless. 

I’m certain some will feel threatened by this record. Some few may feel liberated. Most will simply feel that it should not exist. I needed to write it anyway. I know that many women who read this will see it only as further proof that I am the godless heretic everyone claims.

The rest make Jasnah the obvious choice, but probably everyone can guess that, right? And I don't really trust Brandon to make it this easy.

I can point to the moment when I decided for certain this record had to be written. I hung between realms, seeing into Shadesmar—the realm of the spren—and beyond.

I thought that I was surely dead. Certainly, some who saw further than I did thought I had fallen.

I did not die. I experienced something worse.

That moment notwithstanding, I can honestly say this book has been brewing in me since my youth.

The sum of my experiences has pointed at this moment. This decision.

Perhaps my heresy stretches back to those days in my childhood, where these ideas began.

To be honest I am at loss here. What decision? Writing a book? Jasnah, being a scholar, is expected to have written a book. Is it the content that makes it strange?

I ask not that you forgive me. Nor that you even understand.

Forgive what? Again writing the book or the material in it? It sounds like she has done some terrible things that she feels it too. It's not about her being a heretic.

Words of Radiance and The Way of Kings might be ancient texts, but I don't think it was ever promised that all the title-books would be. We've certainly seen more contemporary works used in the chapter epigraphs (Navani's journal, the Diagram, the deathrattles).

The name "Oathbringer" points to Ishar or Sunmaker, but that might be the subject of the book, not the author.

Based on the epigraphs we've seen so far, I think the pro-Jasnah evidence is overwhelming. If it's not her, there are just too many coincidences that point to her. The Alendi-Rashek deception was a clever mislead, but this feels like it would just be a cheap trick. I don't think Brandon would do that. The big twist won't be that it's not Jasnah; it'll be that Jasnah has discovered something truly shocking.

That's my prediction. The big mystery of the in-world Oathbringer isn't the author. It's the content. (Kind of like the real-world Oathbringer.)

I'm starting to think that Oathbringer is written by Shallan.  I think that with these multiple personalities that she is creating and the fact that she will still be working with the Ghostbloods in some capacity that she will do something major in this book that really undercuts the rest of the protagonists and put her on the outs for a while.  When I read the Epigraphs for the last couple releases it made me think of Shallan finally telling Adolin what happened in her childhood. 

I also think that the second murder was conducted by the Ghostbloods and they will reveal themselves to Shallan as the one who did it and also that Adolin killed Sadeas and use that to coerce her to help them in their game.

I'm thinking it is Eshonai.

People will be threatened that a Parshman, Parshendi, Voidbringer, can write at all and wrote a book.  So most don't think it should exist.  Parshendi/Voidbringers could be considered 'godless heretics.' by humans. People thought she fell at the end of the battle.  I'm guessing something happened between all the storms, wearing shardplate, falling in the chasm, etc. that she was able to overcome the voidspren and saw into Shadesmar.  The book she writes will certainly have been brewing since her explorations in her youth. 

I think we're supposed to assume it's Jasnah, but there will be the twist that Brandon loves to pull.

Picking the Sunmaker is highly speculative but it feels right to me at this point. While there's no guarantee that the in-world book that matches the real book name will all be ancient texts for all 10 books in the SA, that doesn't mean it is likely to be something that hasn't been written yet either. Consider if Jasnah is the author - she wouldn't have been able to write this book yet... and wouldn't be able to by the end of this book either. Which would mean in can't appear in-world. But surely it has to appear in-world, otherwise it would break the pattern and also be rather confusing?

Putting it another way, unless Brandon is going in some strange direction then I can only imagine that the in-world Oathbringer book already exists and is available to be read. That would automatically rule out nearly all the options on the poll. Nohadon seems unlikely because it would be confusing to have an in-world book that's unrelated to the sword (which it would have to be because the sword didn't exist in Nohadon's time). So the Sunmarker seems a good bet at this point.

Of your options in the poll:

• Dalinar: Eh, it could work. Not really sure, we'll have to wait for more epigraphs.
  • Jasnah: The heretic line disqualifies her automatically. She calls herself a heretic, while the line implies that others call her heretic, while the author does not see them-self that way.
  • Navani: Same as Dalinar, we'll have to wait and see.
  • Renarin: The "some who saw further than I" line makes me fell it's not written by a Truthwatcher.
  • Sunmaker: Being called Oathbringer, Sunmaker has better odds of being the subject rather than the author, but I don't think he'll be either.
  • Nohadon: He wrote The Way of Kings, so I think he's out of the running this time around.
  • Presently Unmet Character: It'd pretty much have to be an ancient character from Dalinar's visions. I don't see any "new characters" in the present narrative making big enough waves to warrant the book.

Some other potential picks (I get a vibe from some of the epigraphs, not sure if they'll fit with the whole set yet):

Szeth: 4 Lines presently

• "I hung between realms, seeing into Shadesmar—the realm of the spren—and beyond."   :   We have a WoB that the barriers between Realms weakens as one approaches death, so any death/near-death experience would fit.
  • "I thought that I was surely dead. Certainly, some who saw further than I did thought I had fallen."   :   His conversation with Nalan about being dead fits.
  • "I did not die. I experienced something worse."   :   I got a Szeth vibe from this line the moment I read it. He didn't die, but who he was and his entire way of life did die.
  • "I ask not that you forgive me."   :   Szeth had no illusions about his sins being forgiven in the afterlife, so he would not care about being forgiven in this life.

Taravangian: 2 Lines presently

• "I hung between realms, seeing into Shadesmar—the realm of the spren—and beyond."   :   The Day of Brilliance and the Day of Interpretation. He certainly saw something when he made the Diagram.
  • "I ask not that you forgive me. Nor that you even understand."   :   As he himself states: "I am the monster who will save this world." He would do whatever he has to do to save the world, regardless of the consequences.

Could the author be an original Radiant? Maybe they saw the future and learned the secret that caused the Recreance.  Seeing the future could also explain the comment about women reading the book. What they are pleading for the reader to understand is why they chose to break their Oaths.