Bands of Mourning Chapter 5

DeadFencer

And I have questions. How did Spook have a hundred-year rule? That would require living over a hundred years, obviously. Do the people of Scadrial have slightly longer lifespans than normal? If so, is it because of the Preservation in them?

Also there's got to be some sort of Phantom Menace joke I could make about all this talk of trade disputes.

Edited by SafestPear

Or, (and this is just baseless conjecture) he could have started going down a lord ruler path. We know he wrote that book on Hemalurgy, so he would have been able to get ahold of an feruchemical atium spike and some atium (maybe from Marsh?) However, he soon realized what he was doing, and removed the spike.

And I have questions. How did Spook have a hundred-year rule? That would require living over a hundred years, obviously. Do the people of Scadrial have slightly longer lifespans than normal? If so, is it because of the Preservation in them?

Also there's got to be some sort of Phantom Menace joke I could make about all this talk of trade disputes.

Yep, that jumped out at me as well. I'm thinking it may be something specific to Mistborn, or at least Pewterarms. Or as someone else pointed out, he may have gotten a spike that gave him Feruchemic Gold...but I find that less believable based on what we know of the character.

It is true that he wrote the book on Hemalurgy, but I think that was more to preserve the knowledge so future generations would know about it (i.e. know the enemy). Based on Spook's history of being spiked, I doubt he'd want to be spiked again, or that he'd kill to get the power.

It is not easy being Steris XD She is so funny. A lot of world building and characterization this chapter. And politics, I am with Wax on the topic of politics...

How much do you want to bet there will be some conspiracy that Steris discovers based on those three missing clips? Something like some bad guy/ or even the set taking just  a few clips from everybody so no one would notice but it adds up to millions for them.

Now that you mention it! This is either a red herring or a very important plot point. There is no way it was just for conversation.

Completely baseless idea: Anyone thinks Steris will do an Elend and wear the bands?

I think the missing 3 clips was just further character development showing Steris planning/accurate nature. At least I didn't read anymore in to it than that but I guess it could be more. 

The 100 year reign thing jumped out at me too and wonder if there may be some historical inaccuracy in this like we have seen on other things. If this is true though it's interesting. Makes me then ask the question did he reign to death? 

Edited by StormingTexan

People who call Steris dull do that because she deals with too many things that are often considered dull.

The reason is she is actually interesting as a person is because of the near insane degree of obsessive passion she puts into things so dull you'd normally forget they are a thing.

Wow.  That short bit was a veritable treasure trove of information on the governmental structure of the Basin.  More.  I need more.  <_<

Steris continues to be made entirely of awesome.  It's good to see Wax acknowledging this.

Does the story ever say where Steris's mother is?  Why is she not able to talk to her mom about personal things like she is inquiring about...

I suspect she's passed away, since Marasi's mother had managed to delude herself into thinking for a while that she might be able to snag Lord Harms as a husband.

Edited by Kaymyth

Does the story ever say where Steris's mother is?  Why is she not able to talk to her mom about personal things like she is inquiring about...

I believe her mother is deceased. If she was still alive, we would have met her already, no? Maybe Steris could talk to Marasi's mother... prolly not a good idea.

And Wax. Kick yourself Wax. Kick yourself hard you tactless dolt. <_<

Steris is slowly but surely growing to be my favourite character in all of everything.

She had. To interview. Prostitutes. That is simultaneously hilarious and so sad. Poor thing.

And she's just amazing, making boring things super exciting. The hunt for the missing three boxings! XD

Also that description of her reading is so accurate to anyone reading a good book (minus the hiding and blushing). "Her nose was so far in closing the book would hit it" :D. Of course no one here has ever done that. :ph34r:

I suspect she's passed away, since Marasi's mother had managed to delude herself into thinking for a while that she might be able to snag Lord Harms as a husband.

Honestly, this is even more sad.  I'm trying to put myself in her position with her way of thinking and her family situation and I can't help but feel depressed at it.  She has NO ONE she can talk to, and is likely anticipating a marriage of "status" that she won't have any meaningful relationship with her husband either.  I hope we get at least one part from her perspective, because I have to imagine she is either (unhealthily) devoid of emotion, or is totally broken up on the inside due to feelings of isolation...

If things don't actually develop between her and Wax, I picture her as a mother whose entire life and existence revolves around her child(ren) and keeps them sequestered and stifled out of fear of losing them.

Honestly, this is even more sad.  I'm trying to put myself in her position with her way of thinking and her family situation and I can't help but feel depressed at it.  She has NO ONE she can talk to, and is likely anticipating a marriage of "status" that she won't have any meaningful relationship with her husband either.  I hope we get at least one part from her perspective, because I have to imagine she is either (unhealthily) devoid of emotion, or is totally broken up on the inside due to feelings of isolation...

If things don't actually develop between her and Wax, I picture her as a mother whose entire life and existence revolves around her child(ren) and keeps them sequestered and stifled out of fear of losing them.

She does, at least, have Marasi.  In spite of their differing situations, they seem to be pretty close sisters.  It's just that in this case, Marasi may not know much more than Steris.

I don't think the three clips themselves will really matter (although she will probably find them). It's more likely setting up her skill as an accountant to they can come in usefull later without looking like a deus ex machina.

Oo, look!  A Baldur's Gate fan!

Either as an accountant or just as someone who enjoys filtering through mounds of information to solve a mystery.  I bet that woman could murder a jigsaw puzzle.

It's kind of interesting, actually, seeing some of the similar personality traits presenting in different ways between the two sisters.  Marasi is a veritable encyclopedia of statistics; in her own way, she's as thorough and detail-oriented as Steris.