"Anything you can do, I can do ... just as well?"

Ixthos

On 3/13/2021 at 11:34 PM, apepi said:

But alone, it can't heal anyone, it has to get that from others.

Yes, but the right people could theoretically become a "hemalurgic spike factory"

Llwvyn

Hoid has said that what he does, when he heals or comes back to life or whatever, heals the soul

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Llwvyn

But Hemalurgy is like ripping off a piece of the soul. Could he heal that?

Brandon Sanderson

It is possible. Well, his particular brand of healing is very Spiritual Realm based. And so, it would-- he could. Not all brands of healing are capable. It depends on what's happening, and things like that. But yes, he would. Most Shardbearers [Surgebinders?] when they're in the throes of their powers would heal spiritually. *brief pause* Not all of them. Not all healing will do that, though.

Llwvyn

Yeah. Because I was thinking that maybe you could spike him multiple times and compound his power.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Spiking him could do some weird things though. But spiking can do weird things to anyone.

Calamity release party (Feb. 16, 2016)

HazelCharm47

Let's say we have a hypothetical situation with Miles Hundredlives. In this scenario, he is wearing a gold metalmind filled to the brim with stored healing power. He is then spiked with a cadmium spike and loses his gold allomancy.

Now, if I recall from various WoBs, he would be able to heal using the gold metalmind and regain his gold allomancy. I could be misremembering and he cannot heal it, but I believe he would be able to since it is part of his Identity.

However, one question I have never seen the answer to is this: what happens to the ability in the spike? Is the allomantic ability still contained in the spike, leading to a duplicate? Or is the spike's ability lost? Or maybe I have this whole thing wrong and Miles could never have regained the ability in the first place.

If the ability duplicates (which I doubt), that could lead to some crazy things. Also, this applies to any Twinborn with gold Feruchemy, I just thought Miles was a good example I guess :)

Brandon Sanderson

I'd like to see the exact WoB's here to make sure I'm being consistent, as I don't know that I confirmed you could regain lost powers--only that you could heal from hemalurgic soul damage. Most likely, what you'd end up with is a person who has been healed and can remove the spike from their body without damage, and without needing it to hold their soul together--but who has lost the ability in the spike.

Regardless, though, what you want here (the mass production of spikes charged and even blanked) is possible with the right levels of investiture. It's an energy, like things in our world. The difficulty is finding out how to 1) get enough investiture and 2) key it to the right people and/or magic.

Hope that's a little more clear.

That said, a lot of times people just ask me if something is possible--and a lot of things are possible, but just very difficult. And with the right boost of investiture, in the right circumstances, it WOULD be possible to regrow lost (to spikes) powers. It's just highly unlikely.

I'm not sure if the questions people are asking me are ones I've qualified, or not, in these instances. Also, this is all something I'm playing with still behind the scenes as we enter the modern age of Mistborn.

HazelCharm47

As requested, here are the WoBs I believe are related. They might be obsolete, however. And I assume things will get changed a lot before Era 4, but hey, it's fun to ask anyways :)

WoB #1:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/331/#e9434

This one states that as long as Miles still has his Identity, he would be able to use his Feruchemical metalminds after being spiked and would be able to heal.

WoB #2:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/102/#e983

This one says that Miles would be able to heal his soul using Feruchemical healing and regain his gold Allomancy (assuming he survives the spiking). I think this is the most essential one!

WoB #3:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/76/#e6335

This one is only somewhat related - implies that the Feruchemical and Allomantic powers are spiritually part of him.

WoB #4:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/7/#e6435

Also tangentially related - damage to the soul from Hemalurgy can be healed (Although this might just be a Hoid thing). I guess the question could be expanded to include non-Feruchemical healing as a way to repair the soul after being spiked.

Brandon Sanderson

Well, I don't think any of those are specifically inaccurate. I just didn't quite understand what people were trying to get out of me. A lot of times, I don't know quite what people are trying to get out of me. I can see now they're trying to figure out.

I see now, and I appreciate you putting this all together for me so I can see what the fans are trying to figure out. So the answer is a cautious yes. The problem here is that he'd need to compound a TON of healing first--but yes, it would work. You could theoretically turn someone like Miles into an invested spike factory.

If he didn't have enough healing stored, though, he'd end up with a healed soul but a gap (like a scar on his soul) where his spiked-out abilities were. That could theoretically be healed with application of more investiture, depending on things like how he views himself, and if you could get the right type of investiture.

General Reddit 2020 (Nov. 6, 2020)

On 3/13/2021 at 3:10 PM, mathiau said:

How do you figure that?

Metal born abilities are affected by how pure the metals are which requires chemistry one branch of science. Then several metal abilities such as steel pushes are directly related to physical laws and so encourage an understanding of physics and momentum. Even Wax isn't quite sure why when he increases his weight he gets no appreciable increase in piercing resistance, but that could have more to do with the biological affect than the actual physical affect, meaning that biologically he has an uneven increase in density, and perhaps no increase in water density which makes up the largest component of his body.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:25 PM, apepi said:

I mean, it is all filtered through their shards(I am not sure we have seen any magic not shard related, besides creatures?).

Some of them get them through different things, like the Radiants can't even do certain things with their powers because of the oaths. Allomancy can be somewhat changed by Harmony and Preservation. Sel is very archaic.

The powers aren't them same because of this filter, Ruin's power wouldn't really be able to save people for another example.

the balance is that Ruin's power can save but only by taking greater power from somewhere or someone else. A hemalugic spike which gives gold-f would be less effective than a gold ferring with the same ability and would require possibly killing someone to charge the spike.

On 3/14/2021 at 0:14 PM, Ixthos said:

hi from another Luke :-)

I didn't start meeting other Luke's until about 10 years after Starwars so I always think its great that I am not alone in the world. As you may be able to guess I was Luke before Skywalker. One piece of trivia Luke means Bringer of Light.

I believe that most abilities performed by investiture can be duplicated by multiple magic systems,  and we've seen plenty of examples in the accumulated texts so far and more to come I'm sure. However I do believe in the uniqueness of magic systems as well. I believe that each individual magic system has at least one ability about it that can only be accomplished using that magic system. Or maybe an ability that could be duplicated in others systems but the cost in Investiture to do it is extremely high. This is hard to judge because we don't know the absolute limits of any magic system in the Cosmere quite yet. 

50 minutes ago, Bigmikey357 said:

I believe that most abilities performed by investiture can be duplicated by multiple magic systems,  and we've seen plenty of examples in the accumulated texts so far and more to come I'm sure. However I do believe in the uniqueness of magic systems as well. I believe that each individual magic system has at least one ability about it that can only be accomplished using that magic system. Or maybe an ability that could be duplicated in others systems but the cost in Investiture to do it is extremely high. This is hard to judge because we don't know the absolute limits of any magic system in the Cosmere quite yet. 

This is a great point. For example the only magic system so far we've seen so far that manipulates time is Allomancy. Unless you count what the Stormfather which I don't as Syl states that has more to do with all the Investiture in a Highstorm than a specific magic.

1 hour ago, StanLemon said:

This is a great point. For example the only magic system so far we've seen so far that manipulates time is Allomancy. Unless you count what the Stormfather which I don't as Syl states that has more to do with all the Investiture in a Highstorm than a specific magic.

It's using the Investiture to slow time, similar to massive amounts of matter.

3 hours ago, Frustration said:

It's using the Investiture to slow time, similar to massive amounts of matter.

You missed the point entirely. Allomancy is the only magic system known capable of manipulating time. An example of uniqueness between magic systems. The Stormfather doesn't count as a magic system as it is a side effect of the massive amount of Investiture. Like gravity to mass

2 hours ago, StanLemon said:

You missed the point entirely. Allomancy is the only magic system known capable of manipulating time. An example of uniqueness between magic systems. The Stormfather doesn't count as a magic system as it is a side effect of the massive amount of Investiture. Like gravity to mass

What would you say are unique about the other systems?

2 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

What would you say are unique about the other systems?

Awakening so far seems the only magic system to be able to bring things to life

Hemalurgy can alter the Spiritweb on a fundamental level it seems

These are the ones that immediately come to mind

29 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

Awakening so far seems the only magic system to be able to bring things to life

Hemalurgy can alter the Spiritweb on a fundamental level it seems

These are the ones that immediately come to mind

I would add that on Sel if you know the right symbol you can do virtually anything in your effective area. So Selish magic is the most versatile, powerful and most limited magic in the cosmere.

How about things you cannot do in one magic system.  For example,  you cannot do any type of illusion with any Scadrian magic system,  but we've seen instances of it in both Roshar and Sel. You can kinda do it on Nalthis but in that case it seems to be more body modification. See Royal Locks.

9 hours ago, StanLemon said:

No I got your point I was explaining what the Stormfather was doing

On 3/19/2021 at 0:00 AM, Bigmikey357 said:

How about things you cannot do in one magic system.  For example,  you cannot do any type of illusion with any Scadrian magic system,  but we've seen instances of it in both Roshar and Sel. You can kinda do it on Nalthis but in that case it seems to be more body modification. See Royal Locks.

The problem with that is that, if we discount the metals introduced in Era 2, we also wouldn't have time bubbles. There are many metals still to be accounted for - it isn't impossible that one of them, when burned, allows creating illusions. We've already seen Renarin's illusions look a lot like Malatium and gold shadows - implying a link between Voidbound illumination and Malatium or gold - perhaps another metal allows projecting illusions.