Anniversary Game 7/Anonymous Game 9: From Embers, A Flame

Elbereth

I think I need my head checked! I just realized I forgot about that vacation I took yesterday to Braize, where all votes count double. Don't ask me why I went, I'm not sure myself. But I do remember seeing that scoundrel Mauve Crocodile there! They'd claimed that in public RP, so this isn't news, but it does confirm they were being honest and that was the source of the mystery added vote. 

Hyena has been simultaneously implying they were pocketed by Croc and that their PM discussion with them was brief. I don't buy their explanation. I can't get over the fact that they strongly defended someone on Day One who flipped Elim. Perhaps you could tell us more specifically who you thought Croc was, what they said, and how a PM came to be, Heyena? 

Oh I wish I could invent a lie detector to sort this all out... 

Dear Lady Orchid,

What are your thoughts on the execution of Siena Ashao (Mauve Crocodile)? Who do you think murdered Prudence? Where have you been in these trying times?

Sincerely, Concerned Reader

My apologies for my absence dear readers. Other matters (OOC: The Holiday season) occupied my time, and it appears in my absence that several important developments have occurred.

Firstly, a Forger in the service of Odium was discovered and executed. That was a hard fought battle, and Arleoxtai (Sage Kangaroo) nearly paid the price. While there is a possibility that the reptile was thrown under the bus, I view that as unlikely. For now, I trust the people who kept their votes on to the very end. In turn, this means I must distrust the people who defended Siena. There's only three of them, which probably means that other Followers remain among the non-voters.

Unfortunately, Odium has struck back, and has eliminated Prudence. I must confess, I was hoping to use here services for myself, but that avenue is closed to us. While there is a chance that Prudence can be reforged, doing so puts Cultivation at too high of risk. Our private conversations are a luxury, not a necessity, and we will be forced to do without.

This brings us to our next important matter. There is going to be an execution today. Let us examine the vote count.

Vote Count:
Violet Axolotl (1): Azure Mouse
Taupe Gecko (2): Sapphire Elephant, Violet Axolotl
Turquoise Gorilla (1): Taupe Gecko
Chartreuse Penguin (1): Opal Lion
Charcoal Hyena (1): Saffron Iguana

I write this column to give out advice, but I am forced to reprimand the thread for having only a fifth of the players vote. We know Gecko has fled to First of the Sun, so the vote is at a dead tie. I will not help in this matter. I vote for Enoras (Coral Swan). They posted extremely late into the cycle, lambasting having only two candidates. Now that we know one of the candidates was evil, this increases my suspicion. They promised to add a vote, but never did. @Coral Swan you have a chance to cast one now.

I pose this question to all my readers. Who do you suspect? Odium will not wait for you to make up your mind. We must vote early, and we must vote often. Abstaining is tantamount to siding with Odium.

Sincerely, Lady Orchid

Vote is coming following analysis sometime in the next hour or two. An unplanned Highstorm (blasted things can’t seem to keep to a schedule these days) has delayed my rereading of the thread. Also my first vote last cycle was random, the thing about requesting from shards was to do with PM requests.

Edit:

Votes on Croc, in order:

1. Elephant, later retracted

Spoiler

"me im personally feelin ill about that Crocodile fella. juusht when them killin' talks began, comes he yammerin on about poke votes and the like. shuure kanga fella gave reason to his vote, but heyyy if the vote feels iffy for axot-axtlot aah heck that axe fella, sir bucketts, yeah if he feels iffy about kangas vote, shuure as heck he can vote! now where does poke vote come around from outta nowhere landing on the ground. votes with reason aint gon be immune to shcrutinaz - schrutinizashun, yeah?

2. Lion

Spoiler

I don't think that any vote with little reasoning this early on should be under as much stress as this seems to be. It's early on! Votes will be hasty, they'll be kinda dumb reasoning. I'd find any vote that might have too much reason to be telling. of what? who knows. Kind of how, a while back, I tried to take up pottery, and with each piece you can tell something about the person who made them. I was never good at that...but I'm sure someone could do it. 

Wasn't that good with pottery either. Bet that's what everyone could tell from my peices.

Anyways- I've seen one too many people hide sinister plans behind smiles,  Mauve.

3. Axolotl

Spoiler

Second, Crocodile, *cough* you just *cough did literally the exact reason I *cough* voted Gorilla. But since I'm a bit more *cough* lax and cooled off on *cough* them, this point isn't as strong. Gorilla. For *cough* now.

Third, Crocodile. I don't recall what *cough* the first vote on you was, but the *cough* second was definitely not from past *cough* grudges. At least not totally. *cough* Suffice it to say, this *cough* vote is not because of yours.

4. Flamingo

Spoiler

hello!! i have returned!! or maybe i was always here?? you will never know!! 

okay but seriously though, what is going on???

i do think that neutral shards shouldn't feel like they have to claim. part of the fun is getting to decide how they want to play, which team to support!! hard to do that if everyone's telling you what to do. :(

also, can we please not have the do we vote on c1 debate again?? thank you!!

also also, i did a thing!!

mauve crocodile (3): opal lion, sapphire elephant, violet axolotl
chartreuse penguin (1): quartz zebra
melon dingo (1): amethyst scorpion
sage kangaroo (3): turquoise gorilla, mauve crocodile, charcoal hyena
scarlet octopus (1): mint heron

and now, i vote we exe mauvy crocy. mostly because i don't think our pal the kangaroo has done much to anyone yet, and i just don't like how that counterlynch came out of nowhere.

5. Vulture

Spoiler

I disagree with Kangaroo's suggestion that Shards should claim, but I also think a controversial suggestion like that is more likely to be made by a Villager than an Elim, because a controversial claim like that is going to attract unwanted scrutiny and is a big risk for an Elim to make. (Of course, that quickly becomes an IKYK, but I don't have any bad gut reads on Kangaroo either.) It also makes an easy candidate for a mislynch that the Elims might want to hop onto, and of the votes on Kangaroo, Crocodile's gave me the worst gut read (though he was the leading candidate at the time, so I can also see it being a self-preservation vote, but... eh, it's Day 1, and I don't have any better ideas, unfortunately.)

6. Kangaroo

Spoiler

Just a self-preservation vote

So if I was going to vote on Croc as an elim, I probably would do it as Elephant (first vote is safe), or Flamingo/Vulture as a bus. Probably Lion and Kanga are village. I find Flamigo's comment about talking about D1 votes to be suspicious. Doesn't help the village at all to say something like that. The Elephant late retraction is also very suspicious. I also find it interesting that Croc voted Kanga, and then all of a sudden Kanga was the only counter-train anyone considered. Makes me think an elim voted on Kanga after Croc

Other things of note: Mouse and Scorp both changed votes but didn't contribute to either major train. I'm guilty of this as well, although I thought at the time I was proposing an alternate train, and had missed that Axolotl had moved onto Croc.

Edited by Quartz Zebra
Nobody else posted

[OOC: I was hoping to RP, but as I have to hop off shortly to something, I'm going to have to make do with some brief notes.

@Violet Axolotl: Some of what you say still doesn't check out, and I'm still wary of the game you're playing, but as a fellow paranoid, you can probably see why I'm paranoid too. Saying you're paranoid the Odites and Odium will kill you suggests you think there is something about you that makes you an especially tempting target. At the same time, I lean slightly Village on you so there's no point in having this fight out here right now. Violet Axolotl.

@Turquoise Gorilla: Yes - I mentioned in thread earlier it was a stab vote, but in the context of your question, that's a potayto-potahto difference. Essentially I just wanted Iguana to say something more than just RP. I could easily have picked someone else in that context, e.g. Pearl Chameleon, Cream Tuatara, but RNGesus selected Iguana so I went with Iguana.

Disagree with @Magenta Albatross's idea for reasons already mentioned by others and will not belabour the point - I just want to add that the large assumption (which I believe to be correct) is that Ruin is unlikely to be Elim controlled, but should they ever get their hands on Ruin, concentration in numbers is going to be painful for us.

Since the cycle is youngish and I have to leave in around five minutes, I'll hit up Cream Tuatara. Thoughts on what's going on, friend?]

Edited by Azure Mouse
Retracted vote

Journal of Solemnheart - Annotation, Day Five Post-Illumination, Shadesmar

Quartz Zebra, you are currently voting for the same person twice.

On the Cultivation --> Prudence plan... The Splintering of Cultivation is something I agree we should not risk, but is there any major risk associated with the Vessel of Splintered Prudence from simply claiming to the general public, letting Cultivation act without revealing their identity?

If the Vessel is in the Rosharan system and therefore a possible target of Odium, that could delay things, but from what I can see in the rules of the cosmere, Cultivation would successfully UnSplinter Prudence before Odium's strike. In the worst case (assuming Cultivation is not blocked or redirected by chance), we would be back where we started with Prudence Splintered and in the hands of the most recent Investee - unless an Investment while Splintered does not allow for the Shard to Transfer after UnSplintering. (@little wilson). And the Investee of Honor can always protect the holder from death and Splintering, and/or Valor can defend them from death while being a danger to Odium and a deterrent to his strikes, and/or an Edgedancer can protect them from death as a last failsafe.

(Upon further reviewing, the true worst case would be if Prudence failed to Invest in a valid target, upon which the killing of the Vessel would lead to the disappearance of Prudence completely. But Valor or the Investee of Honor would still prevent this, although it would likely require both to protect the Vessel, as the Investee of Honor is not guaranteed to exist, and Valor will not protect Prudence from being re-Splintered and will be Splintered themselves. They are also both capable of being Champions, which would likely make them uncooperative.)

If the Vessel is not in reach of Odium, then they have nothing to fear from the Shard or its Champions until Honor dies or Roshar is broken, and they could in all likelihood pass the Shard if that is believed to be inevitable. The protection of Valor and/or an Edgedancer would likely be recommended in case a Champion or a vengeful neutral uses a kill item.

It would require the cooperation of several Shards, but it only requires the identity of one. Vessel of Prudence, please do not claim without giving this thought and time for others to view the idea, as I've already shown I can be... forgetful at best. Perhaps that is to be expected.

-Solemnheart

Additional Annotation:

Further delving into the Investiture of Valor seems to show that it will block the Splintering effects of Odium's capablitiles. In addition, if the Vessel would be in danger from Odium this turn due to habituating within the Rosharan system, they would likely worldhop out the next turn, meaning the Vessel is only exposed for a single turn. These combined should allow Valor to protect the Vessel alone, although I personally find that to depend too much on the loyalty of Valor - a strange concept, that - and their ability to use their power without interference.

Edited by Plum Rhinoceros
Additional Annotation

So we know Axolotl, Heron, Kangaroo, Ostrich, Scorpion, Weasel, Iguana, and presumably one more person on Braize as potential Odium targets from N1. Axolotl and Kangaroo requested protection. In addition to other reasons Axolotl brought up, or more likely also a reason that was implied and I just didn't fully notice, attacking Heron fulfilled Axolotl's request to investigate Gecko if Heron flipped village. Gecko suspicion still would have been there without Heron's death, so Odium with elim!Gecko could have seen that and still decided to go for it anyway.

3 hours ago, Oxblood Beagle said:

They posted extremely late into the cycle, lambasting having only two candidates. Now that we know one of the candidates was evil, this increases my suspicion. They promised to add a vote, but never did.

I requested PMs with both prospects, signed off until 30 minutes before rollover having not gotten any PMs. I had a vote for Crocodile ready, but then I tried to edit my post after seeing Elephant unvote and Kangaroo add a vote and ended up missing rollover. You're right that I should have put the vote down in my second post to be reevaluated as required. I'm looking at mostly Hyena or Gecko right now, feeling like the elims wouldn't have left it as a tie D1 if they wanted to bus. I may have just missed this but @Charcoal Hyena, was there anything in particular about your PM with Crocodile that convinced you they were good?

@Plum Rhinoceros, Prudence's splinter claiming if they aren't in the Rosharan system should work, since they would be immune to Odium and their Investee, and you are right that there are protective measures even if Prudence is within Odium's reach. Some downsides are the possibility that Prudence Invested in an elim D1, unlikely but not impossible, and the fact that only 9/24 players other than Prudence's current Vessel can be Invested, only relevant if the current holder dies.

57 minutes ago, Plum Rhinoceros said:

Quartz Zebra, you are currently voting for the same person twice.

Yeah, you aren't supposed to edit votes into posts unless the post is the last one. Mouse posted while I was editing in my analysis, so I figured to be safe I'd put it in a separate post as well.

5 minutes ago, Coral Swan said:

attacking Heron fulfilled Axolotl's request to investigate Gecko if Heron flipped village. Gecko suspicion still would have been there without Heron's death, so Odium with elim!Gecko could have seen that and still decided to go for it anyway

4 minutes ago, Coral Swan said:

I'm looking at mostly Hyena or Gecko right now

So you believe that the Odiuminions intentionally targeted Heron because it would Implicate Gecko, but that Gecko is an Elim? 

Or are you saying that you assume the Odiuminions thought Mint was an Important Shard, and wanted to get rid of them, despite the kill seemingly implicating Gecko?

1 minute ago, Opal Lion said:

So you believe that the Odiuminions intentionally targeted Heron because it would Implicate Gecko, but that Gecko is an Elim? 

Or are you saying that you assume the Odiuminions thought Mint was an Important Shard, and wanted to get rid of them, despite the kill seemingly implicating Gecko?

The elims could have killed Heron to implicate a not-evil Gecko, but since Gecko was already in the running for removal the elims could have killed Heron even knowing it would make elim!Gecko look bad. Either alignment option is possible.

EM9OeyT8iePH2ERDVzS1-fIASgpakAeZD0xwP3FUTZODdUF9kqRNdss0zY9sXiS8MHVl3ZVBzLia_zrWBm2Kbe2N-UnarOj13JcK-Hd0FxzpkswvGEU1ccmbTK0bKGeclkKUCEhO

“Hi everyone! I’m worried about the gossip who goes by Oxblood Beagle. They and I are alone on a planet this cycle, except for an Aspect of Autonomy. I think if I revealed the Aspect’s name, that would reveal the planet? I’m not familiar with this world though, so I’m not sure.

But Oxblood said in this world that they could narrow down Autonomy’s identity to the three players who started on this planet, and pointed out that a player had claimed starting on the planet, so Oxblood could ask that player who else started there. They then asked for Autonomy to PM them, as they didn’t want Autonomy working for the wrong side.  They didn’t say which side that was. It sounds very ominously Champion like, with enough room to say they were just trying to bait Autonomy."

4 hours ago, Turquoise Gorilla said:

@Fuchsia Ostrich, why do you think the eliminators would strike those who claimed? I repeat my earlier assertion in response to @Violet Axolotl. I can't see why the eliminators would have any issue with the neutral shards.

"I'm afraid of the Champions recruiting them Mr. Gorilla."

Apologies for the bad quality picture, my program isn't working so I had to use a worse one.

8 hours ago, Saffron Iguana said:

Hyena has been simultaneously implying they were pocketed by Croc and that their PM discussion with them was brief. I don't buy their explanation. I can't get over the fact that they strongly defended someone on Day One who flipped Elim. Perhaps you could tell us more specifically who you thought Croc was, what they said, and how a PM came to be, Heyena? 

Allow me to elaborate:
I possess a Seon.
The Croc requested a Prudence PM
With moi, so I hopped on
Wondering what they wanted,
Of relevant matters we spoke none.

The discussion was not brief
Though I started it a day after cycle start.
We chatted quite a lot,
And their grammar and syntax seemed
Remarkably like one I know,
So I wanted to keep them afloat. 

4 hours ago, Coral Swan said:

@Charcoal Hyena, was there anything in particular about your PM with Crocodile that convinced you they were good?

As I said above,
Their speech patterns were quite like
Someone I know well.

This shouldn't clear them,
But I thought I could get reads
If they were alive.

I quite like talking,
And Prudence did not grant me
Private messages.

4 hours ago, Fuchsia Ostrich said:

But Oxblood said in this world that they could narrow down Autonomy’s identity to the three players who started on this planet, and pointed out that a player had claimed starting on the planet, so Oxblood could ask that player who else started there. They then asked for Autonomy to PM them, as they didn’t want Autonomy working for the wrong side.  They didn’t say which side that was. It sounds very ominously Champion like, with enough room to say they were just trying to bait Autonomy."

Would you like to inform us as to the planet that this is?
Or shall we languish in a lack of information.
For Autonomy's own sake, perhaps you shouldn't.
But I wish you would indulge in the temptation.

I want to know the answer,
But feel free to not share.

5 minutes ago, Charcoal Hyena said:

Would you like to inform us as to the planet that this is?
Or shall we languish in a lack of information.
For Autonomy's own sake, perhaps you shouldn't.
But I wish you would indulge in the temptation.

I want to know the answer,
But feel free to not share

"Oh wow, the poet is talking to me! Um, hi Soren! I'm sorry, but I don't want to do that without Autonomy's permission. I've asked their aspect on this world, and if they don't care, then I'll tell you, but until then, I don't want to risk their life. Big fan by the way, of your poems."

13 minutes ago, Fuchsia Ostrich said:

"Oh wow, the poet is talking to me! Um, hi Soren! I'm sorry, but I don't want to do that without Autonomy's permission. I've asked their aspect on this world, and if they don't care, then I'll tell you, but until then, I don't want to risk their life. Big fan by the way, of your poems."

Fuchsia Ostrich, I’d be grateful if you’d confirm the name of the aspect on your planet, if you feel so kind.

xTfU89QHBsmTk95Lkj-e6LxVl59LbduKwloHKzSqloztOG-yD29QRnVsbJ1Uy82lfsHo57BnsnTh8SbM9HAdl7SWuO3PWot4d-LblHzLrhP3QaWIQZZya-bjz0pAtPv5_cRfRF81

1 hour ago, Turquoise Gorilla said:

Fuchsia Ostrich, I’d be grateful if you’d confirm the name of the aspect on your planet, if you feel so kind.

"I'm sorry Mr. Gorilla, but I don't think I should do that. The name seems culturally significant, and might reveal the planet to those who are more cosmere aware then I am. This is my first time on this planet, so I can't be sure what information would be dangerous to Autonomy to reveal. Until the Aspect indicates they want this information revealed, I won't reveal it. I don't want to push Autonomy to the side of Odium. I have asked the Aspect if I can reveal their planet or name, and I will tell you if they say I can.

The way I see it, there are two probably scenarios; in the first Oxblood Beagle is a villager. In this case, the Champions have no information about Autonomy, and do not have any leverage over them. Autonomy has no reason to help Odium as long as they are kept hidden. I would prefer a Neutral Autonomy to an Odious Autonomy. In the second scenario, Oxblood Beagle is an Eliminator, and therefore the champions already know the 3 possible candidates for Autonomy. In that case, it is in the village's best interests to protect Autonomy, as otherwise they could be a powerful force against us. We could do that by having Ruin destroy Braize and Ashyn on Cycles 5 and 6, limiting what Rosharan Worlds Autonomy has to invest in, while keeping Odium bound. If we do that, Autonomy has no reason to fear Odium, and can continue to remain neutral and/or help us. But we don't know if that is necessary unless we know Oxblood Beagle's alignment.

I don't think I'm missing anything in my Analysis, but please correct me if I am."

Edited by Fuchsia Ostrich

Please forgive any issues caused by formatting. I am attempting to continue this analysis on mobile.

Sapphire Elephant:

"whoa whoaa got some things to be told bout dis, hol up buddy. as wise old Bucket oer here says, Mistah A can block the big O kills! thats someone big O might wanna remove. aaand as for the poor fella just wishin ta stay alive, well big O might try to hit them and it waste a kill or more. now dontchu go prancing about with absoloot disregard for them fellas that don't wanna involve themsaylves in this battle. nah tell me who likes to be be ignored eh? we in no way can try n guess them fellas intentions. heckk i've seen neutrals actually tryna help us village more often than not. seriously thouw, wouldya willingly work for big bad O? ya know, we need to pull em to our side, kill em with kindness and the like, big O can go use fear, naww not the way to gain loyalty. seee what im tryna say is, they be possibilities that them fellas just honestly, genuinely, legitly tryna solve this case as village! aint no heckin reason to ignore em at all!"

"me im personally feelin ill about that Crocodile fella. juusht when them killin' talks began, comes he yammerin on about poke votes and the like. shuure kanga fella gave reason to his vote, but heyyy if the vote feels iffy for axot-axtlot aah heck that axe fella, sir bucketts, yeah if he feels iffy about kangas vote, shuure as heck he can vote! now where does poke vote come around from outta nowhere landing on the ground. votes with reason aint gon be immune to shcrutinaz - schrutinizashun, yeah?

"prudence! be a dear and kindly let me talk to that hyena fellow. i feel like i know them aaand of course, im gon hafta give them some tips about poetry as well. we drunkards rhyme more often than lotsa other people. penguins a mime."

To summarise the above, Sapphire Elephant suggests the neutral shards can help the village, and righty questions Sage Kangaroo’s assertion that the village should ignore them once they have claimed.

He then is the first vote (as far as I can tell) on Mauve Crocodile, and gives a well reasoned explanation for said vote.

Azure Mouse:

Kaikoa was flying overhead, somewhere: for a moment, an image pushed into Tenth's head. Someone someplace else; he caught a glimpse of more people than Tenth had seen in all his life on First of the Sun, and then the contact was gone. But he thought he knew what Kaikoa was showing him. Who Kaikoa was showing him. He would have to keep his eye on that other as well. [OOC: Turquoise Gorilla.]

Azure Mouse expresses suspicion of me here. They are not the first to do so, and I am somewhat wary of some of the later players to do so as taking an easy route to contribute, but Azure’s suspicion I know was better grounded having interacted with me on Sel.

Mauve Crocodile:

Violet said something about hasty votes being a problem. Having skimmed the posts that started the discussion, I figured as I was writing my post that Violet was referring at least in part to the poke votes that had appeared earlier on, since the vote that Violet was responding to was not what I would call hasty. 

And no, of course votes with reason aren't immune to scrutiny, but attacking someone for voting with a reason because they were "hasty" just kind of doesn't make sense? 

If I am interpreting this correctly, Mauve was suggesting that their vote on Axolotl was for Axolotl considering my initial vote hasty. I know Mauve is evil, but frankly agree with the point they are making here. From this I’m getting more of a village read on Axolotl.

Violet Axolotl:

*cough* Why not? It's as much *cough* of a reason as anything else.

Including this merely to give context to Mauve Crododile’s next post, which is in response to this.

Mauve Crocodile:

Er... well I guess? I mean, you do you I suppose :P but I think past D1 it's probably not a great idea to tell people who give reasons for their votes that they're being "hasty", since then it makes everyone a little less likely to vote. And from what I've seen in recent games, we need more people to vote, not less.

In addition to making a great deal of sense (and thereby reminding us that exhortations and encouragements to activity aren’t remotely alignment indicative), this to me feels like a genuine interaction with Axolotl. I very much doubt they are on the same team.

Opal Lion:

I don't think that any vote with little reasoning this early on should be under as much stress as this seems to be. It's early on! Votes will be hasty, they'll be kinda dumb reasoning. I'd find any vote that might have too much reason to be telling. of what? who knows. Kind of how, a while back, I tried to take up pottery, and with each piece you can tell something about the person who made them. I was never good at that...but I'm sure someone could do it. 

Wasn't that good with pottery either. Bet that's what everyone could tell from my peices.

Anyways- I've seen one too many people hide sinister plans behind smiles,  Mauve.  Just like back when-

when...I...

I'm not sure. But uh, trust me! it's definitely happened. and I can remember. clearly. 

--

Remy was getting bored again. this 'fishing' thing turned out to be the useless-t of them all, and he had wasted...much more time than some other activities he'd tried. Out of all of them, bead fishing was in solid last place, miles behind Drawing. He just couldn't seem to get that right. 

Shadesmar was getting old, and it was time to move on. He was thinking...Roshar? not a particular connection he felt, just a tidbit in a help column he saw. 

Well, guess he was going to need an umbrella. 

The second vote on Mauve Crocodile. Violet Axolotl astutely asks in response to this why Opal Lion is voting on Mauve Crocodile, as they seem to be agreeing. Opal then responds as such:

Well, I have to be honest, I don't think I was aware mauve had a vote on her already. 

It has little do with past grudges, and more to do with the vibes I get from her. 

Tell me all you want that it's not the best way of going about things, but it's what I have right now. Still on page 4 of the rules, hoping that my friends in shadesmar will awaken and join me :P 

I would be very surprised if an eliminator would vote in such a manner for their teammate, for the reasons given above - not knowing about the prior vote, and on gut alone. From this, I consider Opal Lion essentially cleared.

At this point, our esteemed GM provides the vote count as follows:

Mauve Crocodile (2): Opal Lion, Sapphire Elephant
Chartreuse Penguin (1): Quartz Zebra
Melon Dingo (1): Amethyst Scorpion
Sage Kangaroo (1): Turquoise Gorilla
Scarlet Octopus (1): Mint Heron
Turquoise Gorilla (1): Violet Axolotl

This is highly relevant when we consider Mauve Crocodile’s next post.

Mauve Crocodile:

I wholeheartedly agree with this bit... Unfortunately, though, the person with the most votes is me, so there's not much I can do to condense. Except... come to think of it, it does seem a bit odd to me that Sage Kangaroo would suggest that the neutral Shards claim. Their identities are not information that we want in the elims hands (who are we kidding, we don't want any info in elim hands :P), and from what I've seen, games are generally set up so that claiming is never beneficial during the first few cycles. Later on and under specific conditions, claiming can be a good strategy, depending on the situation, but it's not a thing to recommend D1.

Is this really just a long-winded way for me to attempt to not die? Well duh, that should be obvious. But in my totally unbiased opinion, the reasoning for exeing Sage is infinitely stronger than the reasoning for exeing me, since the latter is practically nonexistent (I believe the first vote was a poke edit: not quite a poke but it was lending weight to a rather small objection to something I said, and the second was apparently due to "my vibe" and "past grudges", in an anonymous game no less).

This is in response to @Violet Axolotl requesting votes be consolidated. Given how few votes were on any candidate at this moment, and that Mauve Crocodile, being on Braize, could essentially turn any player into a lynch contender, I think Mauve choosing to vote on Sage Kangaroo clears Sage Kangaroo pretty well.

Other obligations call, so I shall have to leave this here for now. For those of you who won’t read longer posts, my conclusions are in summary that @Opal Lion and @Sage Kangaroo can be cleared, and that I get village reads from @Sapphire Elephant and @Violet Axolotl.

Silverlight.

Tenth of the Dusk never struggled with the concept of a city in the Cognitive Realm. How could he? First of the Sun had been a world testament to how men hungered to tame the wild interior, to conquer it, to subjugate it. Each year, fewer in the homeisles picked the traditional names. Fewer in the homeisles thought of the Pantheon as but territory to be mapped, to be charted, to be used. They became, bit by bit, like the Mainlanders. How could anyone have expected that humans would not seek to make their mark on the Cognitive Realm as well?

Kaikoa squawked, flying overhead. Through her eyes, Tenth caught a glimpse of- 

There. 

Buildings, people. Silverlight was a crossroads, where people met. You could find many wonders in Silverlight, but the university there was Khriss's project and pride, and Tenth strongly suspected Kaddar would never have passed up a chance to pay a visit.

Meanwhile, the debate raged on among the Children of Adonalsium. Tenth sighed as his spanreed teemed with messages. Voices accusing Aurora [OOC: Taupe Gecko] - Tenth was not certain as his brief interactions with Aurora had not given him reason to suspect malicious intent, and yet he would have been hesitant to say he trusted her. [OOC: The Pearl Chameleon thing is a good point, and slightly odd. At the same time, the only explanation for it that actively makes Gecko evil requires Gecko to be trying to seed the name of a teammate there, or I suppose, to bait the Village. The latter is a bit more understandable, the former seems to require we postulate Gecko is sloppy at being an Elim. This isn't impossible, but in the lack of corroboratory evidence, I would hesitate to keep at it. At the same time, my Pru PM with Gecko was short but nothing especially jumped out at me. I'd say null for Gecko, given that Gecko was still implicated in the D1 late vote train] The same came of his fellow sojourner on Sel, the worldhopper known largely by the codename Turquoise Gorilla. Tenth continued, frustratingly, to suspect the worldhopper, but his answers had cooled the raging suspicion to a nagging ember of doubt. [OOC: My gut still isn't comfortable with Turquoise Gorilla, but my head is a bit more fine with what Gorilla has been saying in thread. I'd say - wary but not on the top of my suspicions list.]

Then came the suggestions of what could be done, as the Shard Prudence had not been destroyed but shattered, with the Shard passing to another among them. Was the new holder of Prudence benevolent or odious? Tenth did not know. He supposed that did not matter, for the reasons he had outlined earlier: that the real danger was disruption of critical communications infrastructure, and undue trust placed on the holder simply for being the holder of the remnants of Prudence. [OOC: I think my analysis stands. There is no especial danger associated with NuPru being Evil apart from losing critical communications infrastructure at the enemy's will, should Cultivation restore Prudence - it's just that we need to remember that being NuPru doesn't make anyone Village - that analysis has to be run independent of their Shardic status. And we need to remember that comms is dependent on NuPru, and act accordingly.] There were traps here, but most of them were not new. Quicksand here and there, but Tenth was wise to the dangers and how to navigate them.

He did not see much to object to Solemnheart's missive, necessarily. It was true that Odium, for the moment, could only bring his powers to bear on those in the Rosharan system. Tenth wondered if that, too, was quicksand: what happened when the necessary inference was that those who gave a wide berth to the Rosharan system were Shard-holders? Perhaps the current attraction of Shadesmar [OOC: There are eight players alone in Shadesmar. Just what, guys, I didn't know you liked your PMs this much :P ] was not in fact a bad thing: it provided camouflage for the Shards among them. At the same time, Odium's power invested in his champions allowed them to freely kill those ordinary ones among them, rather than Shards. The way Tenth saw it, Solemnheart was essentially correct: barring weapons, or the use of those who could kill freely, or even deception of Ruin's investee, there was little those of Odium could do against a restored Prudence - for the moment. Once Odium broke free of the Rosharan system, however, all bets were off. [OOC: I have gone over the rules again as they confuse me more and more each time and tie my brain into pretzel knots, but I agree with Plum Rhino's analysis. Barring kill items, kill roles, or some way to use Ruin's investee (pocketing?) - I think, this one I am not sure of and am waiting for clarification!, there is little Odium can do against Prudence for the moment.]

Yet, had those of Odium had access to another kill - where was it? A Shard was shattered, and someone was saved from a kill last night. It could have been anything from an actual protection, or an investee of Odium wasting a faction kill on a Shard. If it was that last option, the Shard was in danger this night. No: Tenth thought that if those of Odium had other ways of killing, those were clearly limited, and they appeared to be saving them. Or more simply: they had nothing. [OOC: Fighting words, I know - the tldr; if there was another kill, where was it? Why didn't we see it? Inference is that the kill is limited and they might be conserving it for more pesky targets, e.g. Honour camping outside of Roshar, since otherwise they have no means of killing Honour, or they have no such kill and must needs acquire one. I think I am more inclined to place higher credence on the thought they do not have one and are likely to prioritise acquiring one: we're expecting them to make a play for Honour but must expect they intend to Bear Grylls this and among other things, possibly recharge on Roshar.]

Yet Tenth also did not believe that Prudence would of necessity be the chief of Odium's hatred. No, he thought: Odium's wrath was more likely to fall on those such as Honour, and Valor, but also, where it could. Odium's binding must chafe. He did not doubt it. Wild creatures always strained at their bonds. [OOC: I also do not necessarily think that Prudence will be on top of their kill list. PM powers, in my view, tend to be undervalued, including and especially (infamously?) by myself, but it's not lethal - as we can see from this Turn, people are already finding workarounds to the comm limitations. Honour, Valor, et al are more likely to be juicy/high-priority targets, assuming Odium can reach them. Ruin for pass-the-Shard potato.]

Enough of that.

There was a lot of chatter about a notorious gossip by the codename of Oxblood Beagle who was attempting to solicit Autonomy, and general strategising concerning Autonomy. Tenth was not against the idea of Ruin helping out, as Konion [OOC: Fuchsia Ostrich] had suggested. If the Shard assented - it was an interesting and audacious plan - though it was known Ruin needed to visit a world twice in order to destroy it, which meant that Ruin would have to brave Odium's wrath three times. Everything changed, however, when the Odium Nation attacked. However, things would change if Odium were unleashed to send his hatred against the rest of the Shardworlds. Either way, it was an issue for later on: an audacious plan, perhaps, but moot for the current moment. Their focus was better spent on the mobbing and the identification of the enemy, rather than one who had his own tasks to fulfil. [OOC: I'm generally not for focusing too much on the neutrals at this juncture - they have their own wincons, and short of seeing an active alliance with the Elims, I'm happy to let them do their own thing while we do ours. If we're in contact with them and ally, sure, that's great, and we can plan to help each other out, but until then, I think we're better off looking for the Odites and being chill.]

Beagle, though. It troubled Tenth a little, though he admitted Beagle had not been vocal on the first day either. Beagle had mentioned they were busy with other tasks, which Tenth supposed was fair. He could not hold having a life against those among them. At the same time, what Beagle was doing rubbed Tenth the wrong way a little. Part of it was that he wanted to hear Beagle's side of the story, for it disturbed him that Beagle was not responding to Konion. On the other hand, he could not see how one so keen to make contact with Autonomy, attempting to publicly narrow down on Autonomy's identity, and intent on preventing Autonomy from working with the "wrong side" - if Ostrich was reporting reliably - could be of Adonalsium. Why would one of Adonalsium focus so intently on Autonomy, much less approach Autonomy in such a manner? [OOC: I admit it's kind of gut on this one, and I've gotten into a screaming match with a Village-aligned Orlok over this during the Fires of Elantris. So with that caveat - I don't really see why a Villager would employ this particular method of approach. I feel as though Elims are more likely to see Autonomy as a potential stumbling block, given roleblocks could lay down a world of hurt, and privately trying to corner/out Autonomy but also trying to forestall an Autonomy with an alliance with another faction just doesn't read right to me. The framing also seems off, because I'd think a Villager would be more win-con focused and Autonomy is orthogonal to that.]

1 hour ago, Azure Mouse said:

If the Shard assented - it was an interesting and audacious plan - though it was known Ruin needed to visit a world twice in order to destroy it, which meant that Ruin would have to brave Odium's wrath three times.

"Oh! Oops. I did not know this. I had checked the ruled beforehand, but hadn't seen that they had to be physically present on the world. That makes what I was saying a lot riskier for ruin. I don't know how we could or would help Autonomy now."

so, i may be misunderstanding rules, but couldn't preservation, fuzzy boi, invest in whoever's got prudence?? odium can't splinter them if they're being preserved by fuzzy boi, right??

also, i am going to vote on the gecko! it seems way too sus for them to have said that someone seems trustworthy when that person hasn't even talked yet!! my other suspicions are chameleon, beagle, and mouse. beagle seems to be trying way too hard to get autonomy out of the way!! and mousey is going hard after axolotl, and i trust that lizard!! i also trust kangaroo.

Mouse is not going hard after me. They're paranoid, and I understand that. 

Flamingo, most of those suspicions seem to be piggybacking off of others and I don't like that too much. I don't think that Gecko putting Chameleon in their CoA reads is especially incriminating, though if they flip OC I might want to look into it later. Chameleon theoretically should be getting replaced soon as well.

I like my vote where it is, though I must admit I'm having doubts with the traction it's gained. @Oxblood Beagle, kindly explain to me why I shouldn't move my vote over to your hide by informing the general populous why you want Autonomy's identity so badly?

47 minutes ago, Onyx Flamingo said:

so, i may be misunderstanding rules, but couldn't preservation, fuzzy boi, invest in whoever's got prudence?? odium can't splinter them if they're being preserved by fuzzy boi, right??

also, i am going to vote on the gecko! it seems way too sus for them to have said that someone seems trustworthy when that person hasn't even talked yet!! my other suspicions are chameleon, beagle, and mouse. beagle seems to be trying way too hard to get autonomy out of the way!! and mousey is going hard after axolotl, and i trust that lizard!! i also trust kangaroo.

[OOC: Odium can't splinter them, but the GMs won't let them, either. Rules say that Shards cannot invest in other Shards, shattered or otherwise, so Preservation's investiture action wouldn't work. There are other ways to handle the situation but in general if whoever's got Pru isn't in the Rosharan system to begin with, then they're probably fine with the biggest worry being Odites having access to a non-Odite kill, e.g. redirecting Ruin's invest kill or kill items.

Items maintain persistence in this game unless destroyed, and can be recharged on Roshar if a highstorm rolls through so yeah.]

Edited by Azure Mouse