Stealing senses of animals

Koloss17

Obligatory thanks to @Stormtide_Leviathan for coming up with this question. As well as a thanks to @Ookla the Grammatical for wanting this post made, I guess.

So hypothetical here. You have a H-tin spike, and you want to stab an animal (let’s say owl) for its sight. You then stab it into yourself. Would it increase your sight normally, or would you gain owlsight, since sight just works fundamentally differently for owls than it does for humans? Would you get better night vision?

an even better hypothetical. What if it was snakesight? Some snakes see basically through thermal vision. Does that count as a separate type of sight? 

and if they do count as different types of sight, would there be a toggle? Would it just be a permanent overlay? Could you gather many different animal’s sights and see everything? 

and what happens when you are a tin Ferring? Do you now have a new sense in your arsenal that you can store? Does that mean that you now can easily see in a hundred different ways and choose how much you see of each of those sights?

and this applies to ALL of the senses. Hearing, taste, touch, smell, pain, balance, and location. Many animals have very different ways of experiencing the world. Can you steal all of those experiences and claim them as your own? 

Edited by Koloss17

I doubt it would be toggleable normally without removing the spike. No other hemalurgy we've seen works that way. I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to toggle it if you have f-tin though. 

But yeah, I'm still wondering how it works overall. Does it change how your sense work? Give you a new sense that works that way? Just enhance your old sense? 

8 minutes ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

I doubt it would be toggleable normally without removing the spike. No other hemalurgy we've seen works that way. I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to toggle it if you have f-tin though. 

But yeah, I'm still wondering how it works overall. Does it change how your sense work? Give you a new sense that works that way? Just enhance your old sense? 

So the big issues is that many things in sight rely on your eye structure. A fish’s eyes are built differently than our eyes. So wouldyou only have your sight enhanced from the attributes you can already see? And what would those attributes be?

23 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

So the big issues is that many things in sight rely on your eye structure. A fish’s eyes are built differently than our eyes. So wouldyou only have your sight enhanced from the attributes you can already see? And what would those attributes be?

I imagine that if you took the sight of an animal that could see further on the spectrum of light, it would be more of a mind thing, like your mind would be able to detect and comprehend the light that it normally couldn't, but it really would be quite difficult to do such a thing without altering eye structure. (So basically, I'm not sure at all.)

13 minutes ago, Raven Wilder said:

Has there been confirmation from Brandon that Hemalurgy can steal traits from people other than humans?

Satsuoni

Is it possible to give cats intelligence with Hemalurgy? Or transfer cat's identity to a human?

Brandon Sanderson

Hemalurgy can do some very, very odd things. And the endowment of intelligence is a common result of tinkering with Shard-based magic.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)

Yes. 

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

I dont think that would be an issue since changes to the spiritweb can cause massive physical changes, as seen with the original Koloss.  The harder but surmountable part, I think, would be the fact that you are trying to splice a chunk of Non-Human Spiritweb into a Human one, and we dont really know how compatible the two are. So while Im quite sure you could use Hemalurgy to make Animal Spikes (ie multiply Horse Intelligence with Horse sacrifices, ditto physical attributes, etc), Sspiking non-human bits into a Human spiritweb is going to be more way complicated (if also possible.  If you can spike Singer things into a human, you should be able to cross any racial lines with the right Knowledge.  The only hard 'No' I can imagine would be if animal Spiritweb chunks cannot be supported by a sapient being's ambient Investiture level, and vice versa, on the logic that it could be like temperature ranges for plants, needing the compatible ecosystem, etc.  

As with most theoretical Hemalurgy, the likely the answer is that it's technically possible but would require lifetimes of research/experimentation or Shardic help to work out the actual Bind Points.  

5 hours ago, The Titan God said:

`Could you steal a platypus's electroreception with hemalurgy and have it as a sixth sense yourself (being able to store it in a tinmind and everything).

Their what

but that’s basically the question. I think senses that animals have that we don’t have would be pretty easily spikable then storable, but the main question is the dynamic with other senses that we share (to a certain degree) with other animals. I think the big issue is obviously animal bind points, but once you’re past that, then what?

18 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Their what

but that’s basically the question. I think senses that animals have that we don’t have would be pretty easily spikable then storable, but the main question is the dynamic with other senses that we share (to a certain degree) with other animals. I think the big issue is obviously animal bind points, but once you’re past that, then what?

PhantomMonstrosity (paraphrased)

Let's say we had a platypus Feruchemist, who can sense electric fields. Could he make a tinmind for that sense?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Platypus tinmind should work.

Steel Ministry report (Aug. 20, 2014)

2 hours ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

WELP.

Also you could probably spike out a pigeon's magnetic field sense so you have an impeccable sense of direction.

I wonder if you could spike out [Stormlight Archives/Warbreaker]

Spoiler

A Larkin's sense of "smell" for Investiture. So you could just sense if something Invested was nearby, like a budget Lifesense from the Heightenings.

Hmm what other weird senses are there...

Oh, I found an article on some.

"The Weirdest Senses Animals Have That You Don't"